Jump to content


Time of Death, May 27th 2018, 9:30pm Pacific Time...


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

SoTrue #1 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:05

    Major

  • Players
  • 29802 battles
  • 3,302
  • Member since:
    04-01-2011

I'm gonna go ahead and call it, time of death is May 27th 2018, 9:30pm Pacific Time.

-

So I'm playing wot last night (see date above), it's MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND on a SATURDAY NIGHT, and there are only about 11k people on line in NA - but that's not why the game is dead.  I was running my E25, you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm.  While getting into a tier 7 (or 8) battle usually took a whopping 0-5 seconds (yeah, the preff mm was really slowing the que times down), I did die real early one battle and bounced down to my PzB2 (you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm).  After waiting 2+ minutes for a battle to start, I gave up.  My E25 came out of battle and I went back to tier 7.

-

I'm going to say this one more time for clarity...  THE QUE TIME FOR A TIER 4 BATTLE ON A HOLIDAY SATURDAY NIGHT WAS OVER 2 MINUTES....  I look at it this way, the game is not stone cold six feet under dead.  It's more like we've been shot in the head and the body is falling in slow motion to the ground.  There's still that bit o' life in the body while we fall, and I imagine the bit o' life will be there for the first bounce or two off the floor.  But this game is dead.

-

No new players coming into the game means:


 

Wormer? He's a dead man!


 

Marmalard? Dead!


 

Neidermeyer? Dead.


 

WOT? Dead!!!


 

-

(Honestly I don't understand how WG doesn't see why this game is dying.  It's not maps, it's not arty, it's not MM, it's not op premium tanks, it's not gold ammo.  It's none of that.  The single reason this game is dying is 'lack of player education'.  Under the current 'sink or swim - zero education' policy, it takes new players thousands of battles to get a basic handle on the gameplay.  Most people aren't going to put that kind of time into a game that's no fun until after you've played a few thousand battles.  And most of the minority of those who do, don't ever get any better.  I've seen players with 50k battles and a 49% win rate.  Really?  How can you be that bad after so long?  Oh, that's right, there really is no WG provided education.  If they want to save this game, they really need to do something drastic.  I would say something along the lines of hiring (insert youtube tank reviewer of choice here/ quickybaby, lemmingrush, whomever) to create an educational series for each tank.  That video would have to be watched before you could play it.  Each tank video would be 3-5 minutes-ish, and go over how to play the tank, actual battle snippets, how to train the crew, and how to equip the crew.  As well as teaching how to play the tank, I would emphasize/sneak in tips on how to read the map, work as a team, vision mechanics, camo mechanics, etc, etc.  By the time someone gets to tier 5-6, they would have had to watch a dozen or so (maybe more) of these videos.  I think it would go a looong way towards shortening the learning curve.

-

Additionally, I think there should be a 'bar' to get over before moving up a tier.  That bar could be something like having better than a 50% win rate over the last 30 battles in any given tank.  The 50% requirement would ensure the player has a basic grasp of how to play that tier.  This would prevent players from 'failing up' - failing up can't be fun for them, and is certainly a burden on the rest of the player base.  The 'last 30' battle count ensures bad players aren't burdened by the learning curve.  I.e. if someone is really bad at tier 4, say for 300 battles they get a 43% win rate.  They would not have to bring the overall win rate up, i.e. play another 500 battles at a higher win rate.  They would simply have to do well for the 'last' 30 battles.

-

WG, get on this...  I really don't want this game to die....


 


 


 



_Tsavo_ #2 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:09

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 42760 battles
  • 17,700
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    02-16-2011

They sky has apparently been falling for years.  Yet is hasn't done so?  Strange.

 

Next?

 

 



Worland #3 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 16766 battles
  • 4,943
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012
The 3.5M active players in the RU laugh at the notion the game is dying.



Nefermandias #4 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:38

    Captain

  • Players
  • 32481 battles
  • 1,454
  • [RUBLE] RUBLE
  • Member since:
    09-11-2011
Hey look. It's this god damn thread again. Grab the drinks.

Avalon304 #5 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 20356 battles
  • 8,722
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 27 2018 - 23:09, said:

They sky has apparently been falling for years.  Next?

 

Definitely dead. There was only 15k people online tonight at 10PM PST. On a holiday weekend where people travel, barbeque and generally get drunk. Yep... low numbers on a weekend like that are sure signs of a dead game. kek.

 

I know games with much wider appeal that would kill for this number of people online on a holiday weekend, 2 years after release, let alone a super niche game 7-8 years after release.



Ded_man #6 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:42

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 24916 battles
  • 5,664
  • [-OGR-] -OGR-
  • Member since:
    09-23-2010

This is the way I see it. A department store has a daily traffic of 10k. A department store advertises a big promotional sale, one day only. 10k still show up daily, maybe 1k spike for the day contributed by the sale. Oh no, the store is failing. The day WoT hides the server population from us in game as they now do on WoWP, I’d be concerned. 



Icon_Charlie #7 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:44

    Captain

  • Players
  • 14188 battles
  • 1,027
  • [-DRB-] -DRB-
  • Member since:
    09-18-2013

View PostWorland, on May 27 2018 - 22:09, said:

The 3.5M active players in the RU laugh at the notion the game is dying.
 

Citation needed on your comment.  Otherwise full blown fanboi throwing out nonsense.

 

 



Avalon304 #8 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:46

    Major

  • Players
  • 20356 battles
  • 8,722
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostIcon_Charlie, on May 27 2018 - 23:44, said:

Citation needed on your comment.  Otherwise full blown fanboi throwing out nonsense.

 

 

 

I mean its pretty easy to log into the RU server by installing the client and creating an RU account.

dexatrin82 #9 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:48

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 21499 battles
  • 658
  • [AR-PA] AR-PA
  • Member since:
    10-02-2011

View PostSoTrue, on May 28 2018 - 07:05, said:

I'm gonna go ahead and call it, time of death is May 27th 2018, 9:30pm Pacific Time.

-

So I'm playing wot last night (see date above), it's MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND on a SATURDAY NIGHT, and there are only about 11k people on line in NA - but that's not why the game is dead.  I was running my E25, you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm.  While getting into a tier 7 (or 8) battle usually took a whopping 0-5 seconds (yeah, the preff mm was really slowing the que times down), I did die real early one battle and bounced down to my PzB2 (you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm).  After waiting 2+ minutes for a battle to start, I gave up.  My E25 came out of battle and I went back to tier 7.

-

I'm going to say this one more time for clarity...  THE QUE TIME FOR A TIER 4 BATTLE ON A HOLIDAY SATURDAY NIGHT WAS OVER 2 MINUTES....  I look at it this way, the game is not stone cold six feet under dead.  It's more like we've been shot in the head and the body is falling in slow motion to the ground.  There's still that bit o' life in the body while we fall, and I imagine the bit o' life will be there for the first bounce or two off the floor.  But this game is dead.

-

No new players coming into the game means:


 

Wormer? He's a dead man!


 

Marmalard? Dead!


 

Neidermeyer? Dead.


 

WOT? Dead!!!


 

-

(Honestly I don't understand how WG doesn't see why this game is dying.  It's not maps, it's not arty, it's not MM, it's not op premium tanks, it's not gold ammo.  It's none of that.  The single reason this game is dying is 'lack of player education'.  Under the current 'sink or swim - zero education' policy, it takes new players thousands of battles to get a basic handle on the gameplay.  Most people aren't going to put that kind of time into a game that's no fun until after you've played a few thousand battles.  And most of the minority of those who do, don't ever get any better.  I've seen players with 50k battles and a 49% win rate.  Really?  How can you be that bad after so long?  Oh, that's right, there really is no WG provided education.  If they want to save this game, they really need to do something drastic.  I would say something along the lines of hiring (insert youtube tank reviewer of choice here/ quickybaby, lemmingrush, whomever) to create an educational series for each tank.  That video would have to be watched before you could play it.  Each tank video would be 3-5 minutes-ish, and go over how to play the tank, actual battle snippets, how to train the crew, and how to equip the crew.  As well as teaching how to play the tank, I would emphasize/sneak in tips on how to read the map, work as a team, vision mechanics, camo mechanics, etc, etc.  By the time someone gets to tier 5-6, they would have had to watch a dozen or so (maybe more) of these videos.  I think it would go a looong way towards shortening the learning curve.

-

Additionally, I think there should be a 'bar' to get over before moving up a tier.  That bar could be something like having better than a 50% win rate over the last 30 battles in any given tank.  The 50% requirement would ensure the player has a basic grasp of how to play that tier.  This would prevent players from 'failing up' - failing up can't be fun for them, and is certainly a burden on the rest of the player base.  The 'last 30' battle count ensures bad players aren't burdened by the learning curve.  I.e. if someone is really bad at tier 4, say for 300 battles they get a 43% win rate.  They would not have to bring the overall win rate up, i.e. play another 500 battles at a higher win rate.  They would simply have to do well for the 'last' 30 battles.

-

WG, get on this...  I really don't want this game to die....


 


 


 

 

I completely agree(With what I Emboldened and underlined), But I do not think the game is dying, Missing a finger or two, maybe a foot, obviously blind, but not dead yet....



Altwar #10 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 55281 battles
  • 4,135
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

WR% threshold to make it to an upper tier?  Really?  So the time of death being talked about is that of the OP's common sense?  Who wants such a thing besides the OP and maybe some few other stat obsessed players?

I don't see that being a fix so much as a wish.

 

Anyway, I don't have a counter offer of what might be a way to improve the population but I have to think adding limits doesn't help.  Is there some other game that does something like that and keeps a player from advancing because statistically they aren't cutting it?   Would be interesting to cite and name the comparison.  But otherwise, I think this would do a thing to help the population.   Maybe a forum that has 75% less "Wargaming sucks, gimme gimme free tanks, etc" might more helpful but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.



Altwar #11 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 55281 battles
  • 4,135
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostWorland, on May 27 2018 - 22:09, said:

The 3.5M active players in the RU laugh at the notion the game is dying.
 

 

Would you or someone else who has access to the RU server(s) do a screenshot to back up claim?  Would be pretty neat to see.

shaggy996 #12 Posted May 28 2018 - 07:53

    Captain

  • Players
  • 44608 battles
  • 1,363
  • [_SF_] _SF_
  • Member since:
    11-17-2012

View PostSoTrue, on May 27 2018 - 22:05, said:

I'm gonna go ahead and call it, time of death is May 27th 2018, 9:30pm Pacific Time.

-

So I'm playing wot last night (see date above), it's MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND on a SATURDAY NIGHT, and there are only about 11k people on line in NA - but that's not why the game is dead.  I was running my E25, you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm.  While getting into a tier 7 (or 8) battle usually took a whopping 0-5 seconds (yeah, the preff mm was really slowing the que times down), I did die real early one battle and bounced down to my PzB2 (you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm).  After waiting 2+ minutes for a battle to start, I gave up.  My E25 came out of battle and I went back to tier 7.

-

I'm going to say this one more time for clarity...  THE QUE TIME FOR A TIER 4 BATTLE ON A HOLIDAY SATURDAY NIGHT WAS OVER 2 MINUTES....  I look at it this way, the game is not stone cold six feet under dead.  It's more like we've been shot in the head and the body is falling in slow motion to the ground.  There's still that bit o' life in the body while we fall, and I imagine the bit o' life will be there for the first bounce or two off the floor.  But this game is dead.

-

No new players coming into the game means:


 

Wormer? He's a dead man!


 

Marmalard? Dead!


 

Neidermeyer? Dead.


 

WOT? Dead!!!


 

-

(Honestly I don't understand how WG doesn't see why this game is dying.  It's not maps, it's not arty, it's not MM, it's not op premium tanks, it's not gold ammo.  It's none of that.  The single reason this game is dying is 'lack of player education'.  Under the current 'sink or swim - zero education' policy, it takes new players thousands of battles to get a basic handle on the gameplay.  Most people aren't going to put that kind of time into a game that's no fun until after you've played a few thousand battles.  And most of the minority of those who do, don't ever get any better.  I've seen players with 50k battles and a 49% win rate.  Really?  How can you be that bad after so long?  Oh, that's right, there really is no WG provided education.  If they want to save this game, they really need to do something drastic.  I would say something along the lines of hiring (insert youtube tank reviewer of choice here/ quickybaby, lemmingrush, whomever) to create an educational series for each tank.  That video would have to be watched before you could play it.  Each tank video would be 3-5 minutes-ish, and go over how to play the tank, actual battle snippets, how to train the crew, and how to equip the crew.  As well as teaching how to play the tank, I would emphasize/sneak in tips on how to read the map, work as a team, vision mechanics, camo mechanics, etc, etc.  By the time someone gets to tier 5-6, they would have had to watch a dozen or so (maybe more) of these videos.  I think it would go a looong way towards shortening the learning curve.

-

Additionally, I think there should be a 'bar' to get over before moving up a tier.  That bar could be something like having better than a 50% win rate over the last 30 battles in any given tank.  The 50% requirement would ensure the player has a basic grasp of how to play that tier.  This would prevent players from 'failing up' - failing up can't be fun for them, and is certainly a burden on the rest of the player base.  The 'last 30' battle count ensures bad players aren't burdened by the learning curve.  I.e. if someone is really bad at tier 4, say for 300 battles they get a 43% win rate.  They would not have to bring the overall win rate up, i.e. play another 500 battles at a higher win rate.  They would simply have to do well for the 'last' 30 battles.

-

WG, get on this...  I really don't want this game to die....


 


 


 

 

Is tier 2 really that bad now days?

BoredSights #13 Posted May 28 2018 - 08:13

    Captain

  • Players
  • 25202 battles
  • 1,008
  • Member since:
    01-12-2012

I don't agree with the notion this game is dead or dying. I believe for a game this old it is outperforming other games of the same age.

 

I do agree the learning curve is a part of the blame along with expensive premium tanks, bundling items you can earn by playing the game, and bundling XP boosters for premium tanks. Instead they should bundle Crew XP boosters for premium tank bundles. It would be better to bundle gold or items that can only be purchased with gold.

 

WG does have some videos for learning the basics on the Portal. My suggestion is to integrate them into the game. Most mistakes I see are lemming trains (zerg rushes rarely work 15 vs 15), bad timing on when to cap or defend cap (aka tunnel vision), and the misunderstanding of camo/spotting mechanics.



largeelvis #14 Posted May 28 2018 - 09:30

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 17281 battles
  • 486
  • Member since:
    02-03-2017
The game has lost over 50% of its player base since the NAW NAE merger, not sure how it sustainable at this point. It's not dying, but with a lot of these terrible decisions by WG lately they are showing a lot of people the door. This pref MM debacle 6 months after putting the Type 59 in Christmas boxes is just the latest example.

Avalon304 #15 Posted May 28 2018 - 09:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 20356 battles
  • 8,722
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View Postlargeelvis, on May 28 2018 - 01:30, said:

The game has lost over 50% of its player base since the NAW NAE merger, not sure how it sustainable at this point. It's not dying, but with a lot of these terrible decisions by WG lately they are showing a lot of people the door. This pref MM debacle 6 months after putting the Type 59 in Christmas boxes is just the latest example.

 

We've had like 20k+ players on at prime time daily for the past year... with occasional spikes up to 25k+ during Christmas or other events. We havent lost nearly as many people as you think weve lost.

gid12 #16 Posted May 28 2018 - 10:10

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 2911 battles
  • 13
  • [B-O-S] B-O-S
  • Member since:
    08-07-2013
I don't think World of Tanks is dead, but I do think it would help to teach the spotting, camo, etc. mechanics in the actual game. I had to look for about an hour to find Wargaming's videos on those (I didn't know they existed, I was just trying to find out how to get better at the game), but once I found the videos they helped me a ton. I think being able to have a kind of guide book in game would be nice. You could open it anytime and look up a mechanic or feature or something and it would tell you how it worked, and maybe have a link to a video explaining it too and giving examples and diagrams. I think this would help existing players as well as new players.

I_QQ_4_U #17 Posted May 28 2018 - 10:42

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 18759 battles
  • 3,993
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016
Low tiers have had long ques at night off prime time(9:30 PST is 12:30AM EST) since the day I started. I almost quit the day I started because I had to wit 20 minutes for my first game. Been able to play it fine since then other f=than low tiers late at night.

NK_33 #18 Posted May 28 2018 - 10:51

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 19330 battles
  • 3,380
  • Member since:
    12-24-2014

View PostNoivy, on May 27 2018 - 22:38, said:

Hey look. It's this god damn thread again. Grab the drinks.

 

What are you drinking that goes with popcorn?

Knagar #19 Posted May 28 2018 - 11:20

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20339 battles
  • 1,563
  • Member since:
    05-13-2011
Maybe death of the NA sever since it's full of self entitled babies who think WG owes them something for changing something in game.

WG could shut down the NA sever tomorrow and probably not care one bit, the loss of revenue would be negligible to them. EU and RU are the cash cow for WoT, and it's alive and kicking across the pond.

Captain_Rownd #20 Posted May 28 2018 - 11:44

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 2847 battles
  • 1,236
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

View PostSoTrue, on May 27 2018 - 20:05, said:

 

Additionally, I think there should be a 'bar' to get over before moving up a tier.  That bar could be something like having better than a 50% win rate over the last 30 battles in any given tank. 

 

Another 30+ battles (300+?) in e.g. the dreadful AMX 38 and I probably would have quit, which seems contrary to your goal.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users