Time of Death, May 27th 2018, 9:30pm Pacific Time...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

woofman34 #21 Posted May 28 2018 - 12:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31118 battles
  • [SG] SG
http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Servers

24cups #22 Posted May 28 2018 - 12:04

Major

• Players
  • 22963 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Oh no it's SoTrue with another game is dead thread. Must be Monday.

Cognitive_Dissonance #23 Posted May 28 2018 - 12:46

Major

• Players
  • 39223 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

View PostSoTrue, on May 28 2018 - 00:05, said:

I'm gonna go ahead and call it, time of death is May 27th 2018, 9:30pm Pacific Time.

-

So I'm playing wot last night (see date above), it's MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND on a SATURDAY NIGHT, and there are only about 11k people on line in NA - but that's not why the game is dead.  I was running my E25, you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm.  While getting into a tier 7 (or 8) battle usually took a whopping 0-5 seconds (yeah, the preff mm was really slowing the que times down), I did die real early one battle and bounced down to my PzB2 (you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm).  After waiting 2+ minutes for a battle to start, I gave up.  My E25 came out of battle and I went back to tier 7.

-

I'm going to say this one more time for clarity...  THE QUE TIME FOR A TIER 4 BATTLE ON A HOLIDAY SATURDAY NIGHT WAS OVER 2 MINUTES....  I look at it this way, the game is not stone cold six feet under dead.  It's more like we've been shot in the head and the body is falling in slow motion to the ground.  There's still that bit o' life in the body while we fall, and I imagine the bit o' life will be there for the first bounce or two off the floor.  But this game is dead.

-

No new players coming into the game means:

Wormer? He's a dead man!

Marmalard? Dead!

Neidermeyer? Dead.

WOT? Dead!!!

WG, get on this...  I really don't want this game to die....

They are doing something about it. They are going for a more choke point, mario kart, or hurr durr eeezy mode play style. Catering to the lowest common denominator by "fixing MM", and making clown tanks like the Type 5, or the faster and more ridiculous ELC Even vs. the T-50-2. Plus some shiny graphics.

This game was at it's height at one point due to the difficulty, because the folks that played stuck it out, learned it, and became borderline obsessed with the game. Just like other long lived titles out there with devoted fans. But in the chase for more money, they lost sight of this, now those of us who loved the game early on, are hoping for a better outcome, and hoping the corpse does more than bounce when it hits.

Nudnick #24 Posted May 28 2018 - 12:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 24245 battles

View Postwoofman34, on May 28 2018 - 12:01, said:

Version 9.16 ? The good old days.

sleeper_agent #25 Posted May 28 2018 - 12:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 20709 battles
pure nonsense

Tordenskiold #26 Posted May 28 2018 - 13:34

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9622 battles
  • [MOSTB] MOSTB
Game dead, no. Yes wrt dying, in the sense that we’re all dying right now. Over the last 2 years (according to wot-news http://wot-news.com/...rver/us/norm/en) year over year the game bleeds about 35000 players a year. Looking at the players per week in May 16 there were roughly 230k players per week. In May 18 there were roughly 160k players or a 30% decline. The bleed does seems to have slowed a bit. So the game is in a definite decline (as we all are), but how long is left isn’t entirely sure. It could go on for a long time or a threshold could be reached where players suddenly leave en-masse.
Unfortunately WG seems to anticipate a sooner death and appears to try to milk the base for as much money as possible before that date.
The thing is that this gane is highly addictive, but WG is making it hard for me to stay. I leave because I become disillusioned. I come back cos I’m addicted and the game is executed quite well. I leave again cos I get disillusioned. Repeat ad nauseum.

Edited by Tordenskiold, May 28 2018 - 13:35.

VooDooKobra #27 Posted May 28 2018 - 13:47

Major

• Players
  • 8281 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

wow i must have been very lucky then because every tier 4 battle i ran saturday was 30 seconds or less to get into game.  the only tier 4 that seems to have problems is when i decide to break out the B2 for lols.  that guy finding a match has always had issues.

_Gungrave_ #28 Posted May 28 2018 - 13:52

Major

• Players
  • 42188 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT
Thought this might at least be entertaining but then I noticed it was a thread started by SoTrue.

Urabouttudie #29 Posted May 28 2018 - 14:42

Captain

• Players
  • 20805 battles

Its like this...facts are fun!

Since what...9.18 or thereabouts we dropped...that is...a reduction in population from 30,000 average daily players down to 20,000 average daily players

See? facts are fun aren't they!

Now...in roughly that same time-frame...I love this part...WG has released no less than three [3] different NEW game modes, countless new and exciting premium tanks, several new maps, an entirely new graphics engine [whew!]...they've drastically "improved" their MM system, changed tiers around to reduce "seal clubbing".  Removed some bad maps, redesigned just about every other map for "improved game play"

aaannndd...[deep breath]

...Merged the two NA servers, added a SA server, relocated one NA office and closed another, hired sub-contract design firms to come up with a successful new game mode, sub-contracted out tank skin design [out of fear of screwing these things up yet again I presume], added a training web-site no one knows about, made multiple marketing videos explaining various new features being added.

aaannndd...[deep breath] facts are fun aren't they?

...increased the rate of their in-game sales specials on NA, added new in-game currencies [bonds], removed gold-for-premium-ammo, added new, and free camoflauges, changed and improved game interfaces, redesigned arty and many more changes and improvements to the game I can't even recall.

And the net result of all this, in population numbers?

Well...would you believe we're right where we started with about 20,000 players? It's true...all of that effort, and all those improvements to the game has not increased the population here on the NA server by any recognizable number...

So consider what, exactly, a "dying game" looks like before you decide for yourself where the future of this game, in NA, lies...

24cups #30 Posted May 28 2018 - 14:58

Major

• Players
  • 22963 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostUrabouttudie, on May 28 2018 - 08:42, said:

Its like this...facts are fun!

Since what...9.18 or thereabouts we dropped...that is...a reduction in population from 30,000 average daily players down to 20,000 average daily players

See? facts are fun aren't they!

Now...in roughly that same time-frame...I love this part...WG has released no less than three [3] different NEW game modes, countless new and exciting premium tanks, several new maps, an entirely new graphics engine [whew!]...they've drastically "improved" their MM system, changed tiers around to reduce "seal clubbing".  Removed some bad maps, redesigned just about every other map for "improved game play"

aaannndd...[deep breath]

...Merged the two NA servers, added a SA server, relocated one NA office and closed another, hired sub-contract design firms to come up with a successful new game mode, sub-contracted out tank skin design [out of fear of screwing these things up yet again I presume], added a training web-site no one knows about, made multiple marketing videos explaining various new features being added.

aaannndd...[deep breath] facts are fun aren't they?

...increased the rate of their in-game sales specials on NA, added new in-game currencies [bonds], removed gold-for-premium-ammo, added new, and free camoflauges, changed and improved game interfaces, redesigned arty and many more changes and improvements to the game I can't even recall.

And the net result of all this, in population numbers?

Well...would you believe we're right where we started with about 20,000 players? It's true...all of that effort, and all those improvements to the game has not increased the population here on the NA server by any recognizable number...

So consider what, exactly, a "dying game" looks like before you decide for yourself where the future of this game, in NA, lies...

Your posts about the game dying are as common as SoTrue. I guess if you keep spouting it eventually you'll be able to say you were right. 

Urabouttudie #31 Posted May 28 2018 - 15:18

Captain

• Players
  • 20805 battles

View Post24cups, on May 28 2018 - 05:58, said:

Your posts about the game dying are as common as SoTrue. I guess if you keep spouting it eventually you'll be able to say you were right. 

and you'll still be a lonely forum troll with nobody to talk to...

It is inevitable really...

Nunya_000 #32 Posted May 28 2018 - 15:20

Major

• Players
  • 21033 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostSoTrue, on May 27 2018 - 22:05, said:

(Honestly I don't understand how WG doesn't see why this game is dying.  It's not maps, it's not arty, it's not MM, it's not op premium tanks, it's not gold ammo.  It's none of that.  The single reason this game is dying is 'lack of player education'.  Under the current 'sink or swim - zero education' policy, it takes new players thousands of battles to get a basic handle on the gameplay.  Most people aren't going to put that kind of time into a game that's no fun until after you've played a few thousand battles.  

Have you considered making your own clan and teaching some of those "uneducated" players?  That is one of the main purposes of clans.  So that the players can teach other players. 

There is plenty of "education" material available for players.  Why do you think anything offered by WG will improve anything?  Those that do not want or care to learn are not going to bother to take the time anyway.....and any mandatory "education" will drive players away faster than the reason you claim.

SturmEnte #33 Posted May 28 2018 - 15:30

Captain

• Players
  • 29815 battles

View PostSoTrue, on May 28 2018 - 01:05, said:

I did die real early one battle and bounced down to my PzB2 (you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm).  After waiting 2+ minutes for a battle to start, I gave up.  My E25 came out of battle and I went back to tier 7.

-

I'm going to say this one more time for clarity...  THE QUE TIME FOR A TIER 4 BATTLE ON A HOLIDAY SATURDAY NIGHT WAS OVER 2 MINUTES.... 

The B2 has problems with low population.  It's a tank with perfect MM.  You chose to play a tank with the strictest MM late at night.  2 minutes of queue time is to be expected.

dexatrin82 #34 Posted May 28 2018 - 15:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20491 battles
  • [AR-PA] AR-PA
 and Cue the Fanboi Backlash

Deputy276 #35 Posted May 28 2018 - 15:52

Major

• Players
  • 19063 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostNunya_000, on May 28 2018 - 08:20, said:

Have you considered making your own clan and teaching some of those "uneducated" players?  That is one of the main purposes of clans.  So that the players can teach other players. 

There is plenty of "education" material available for players.  Why do you think anything offered by WG will improve anything?  Those that do not want or care to learn are not going to bother to take the time anyway.....and any mandatory "education" will drive players away faster than the reason you claim.

Wait a minute-wait a minute. I thought the purpose of joining a clan was to get as much gold as possible??? I guess I am not keeping up with the times. :D

I am a bit confused with the OP's post. I was online yesterday about that same time in MST, and just for "funsies" I joined the LATAM server. Just wanted to see what the jajaja's were doing. I was curious to see how long it would take to get a game, since there were only a little less than 3000 players on the server. I played about 8 games, and not ONCE did the wait time go over 2 minutes. I think the longest was 1 1/2 minutes. An even bigger shocker for me was game play was smooth as silk with ping times from 100-300. No freezing, no warping, and no stuttering. Felt just like I was playing on NA server. Now for the best part (for me), I actually ENJOYED playing on that server!!! If you want to end a losing streak (I was on an 8 game losing streak on the NA server trying to get those silly US flags), the LATAM server is the way to do it. I never lost more than 2 games in a row playing there. Not only that, no crap in chat. At least, none that I could decipher. Since chat is either in Spanish (Argentina) or Portuguese (Brazil), it was all Greek to me :). So even if someone was using the most profane obscenities on me, I had no clue. However, they did know how to do "GG". And when someone did post in English, I immediately struck up some banter with him.

Game play was about the same as the NA server. Only people on LATAM seemed to take it much less seriously and played it AS a game. Stat padders were non-existent. Same with seal clubbers. Just weren't any there. Not to say there weren't some very good players as well as game play. I can usually pick a win and am notorious for posting my opinions. I learned very quickly NOT to do that.  Losses are NEVER a sure thing over there. I had one game on Mannerheim where most of the team except for me and another Medium, went to one side. Me and another guy went down the road where the dragon's teeth are. We ended up getting bum-rushed by a bunch of Mediums and TDs and one Heavy. We called for help, and by God, in a short time we were suddenly aided by the whole dang team. We destroyed their push and overwhelmed them. It was the best game I had played in MONTHS. I was actually proud of the team. They watched the minimap and the chat box and responded accordingly. It was amazing to see. 

Soooo...my enthusiasm for WOT has been renewed. I can hardly wait to get back on the LATAM server and enjoy myself once again. BTW...that server is also useful for crew training and to grind for upgrades for a tank. And as a training device, it is excellent. You can observe good and bad game play and learn what not to do, without being hassled by some self-proclaimed "Rommel". And you don't get the seemingly endless loss streaks you get on the NA server. The only "catch" to the L:ATAM server is you need a VERY fast internet connection for it to work well. I use a 50MEG cable modem and it works just fine. If you are using a cheapie 5MEG DSL connection, forgetaboutit. It will be unplayable. Now I need to brush up on my high school Spanish and try and learn some Portuguese to learn what they are saying about me. Can't be ALL bad. :D

Edited by Deputy276, May 28 2018 - 15:56.

Sgt__Guffy #36 Posted May 28 2018 - 15:57

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3433 battles

View PostSoTrue, on May 28 2018 - 00:05, said:

I'm gonna go ahead and call it, time of death is May 27th 2018, 9:30pm Pacific Time.

-

So I'm playing wot last night (see date above), it's MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND on a SATURDAY NIGHT, and there are only about 11k people on line in NA - but that's not why the game is dead.  I was running my E25, you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm.  While getting into a tier 7 (or 8) battle usually took a whopping 0-5 seconds (yeah, the preff mm was really slowing the que times down), I did die real early one battle and bounced down to my PzB2 (you know before they muss it up by taking away the preff mm).  After waiting 2+ minutes for a battle to start, I gave up.  My E25 came out of battle and I went back to tier 7.

-

I'm going to say this one more time for clarity...  THE QUE TIME FOR A TIER 4 BATTLE ON A HOLIDAY SATURDAY NIGHT WAS OVER 2 MINUTES....  I look at it this way, the game is not stone cold six feet under dead.  It's more like we've been shot in the head and the body is falling in slow motion to the ground.  There's still that bit o' life in the body while we fall, and I imagine the bit o' life will be there for the first bounce or two off the floor.  But this game is dead.

-

Wormer? He's a dead man!

Marmalard? Dead!

Neidermeyer? Dead.

WOT? Dead!!!

-

(Honestly I don't understand how WG doesn't see why this game is dying.  It's not maps, it's not arty, it's not MM, it's not op premium tanks, it's not gold ammo.  It's none of that.  The single reason this game is dying is 'lack of player education'.  Under the current 'sink or swim - zero education' policy, it takes new players thousands of battles to get a basic handle on the gameplay.  Most people aren't going to put that kind of time into a game that's no fun until after you've played a few thousand battles.  And most of the minority of those who do, don't ever get any better.  I've seen players with 50k battles and a 49% win rate.  Really?  How can you be that bad after so long?  Oh, that's right, there really is no WG provided education.  If they want to save this game, they really need to do something drastic.  I would say something along the lines of hiring (insert youtube tank reviewer of choice here/ quickybaby, lemmingrush, whomever) to create an educational series for each tank.  That video would have to be watched before you could play it.  Each tank video would be 3-5 minutes-ish, and go over how to play the tank, actual battle snippets, how to train the crew, and how to equip the crew.  As well as teaching how to play the tank, I would emphasize/sneak in tips on how to read the map, work as a team, vision mechanics, camo mechanics, etc, etc.  By the time someone gets to tier 5-6, they would have had to watch a dozen or so (maybe more) of these videos.  I think it would go a looong way towards shortening the learning curve.

-

Additionally, I think there should be a 'bar' to get over before moving up a tier.  That bar could be something like having better than a 50% win rate over the last 30 battles in any given tank.  The 50% requirement would ensure the player has a basic grasp of how to play that tier.  This would prevent players from 'failing up' - failing up can't be fun for them, and is certainly a burden on the rest of the player base.  The 'last 30' battle count ensures bad players aren't burdened by the learning curve.  I.e. if someone is really bad at tier 4, say for 300 battles they get a 43% win rate.  They would not have to bring the overall win rate up, i.e. play another 500 battles at a higher win rate.  They would simply have to do well for the 'last' 30 battles.

-

The numbers playing on the NA server are low we all know this, and the standard of gameplay at times is woeful. But go on the EU server at weekends and you will discover what woeful really is! Mind numbingly painful is probably a more accurate description!

The Romanians are keen players though. I am not sure how many populate the server, but the test server when active is usually dominated by Romanians and they certainly raise the bar when it comes to average players, who on the whole are good players.

Probably there isn't so much to do in Romania for entertainment compared with the USA. ;)

View Postdexatrin82, on May 28 2018 - 00:48, said:

I completely agree(With what I Emboldened and underlined), But I do not think the game is dying, Missing a finger or two, maybe a foot, obviously blind, but not dead yet....

I don't think a self confessed stat padder like Quickybaby, or Lemmingrush, are ideal for providing a tutorial! 

I agree the game is not dying, but it is not is a good state of health and WG needs to do something before it has to be in intensive care! 

I cannot recall seeing over 20,000 players when I've logged in for a while now and I am playing at varying times. My biggest problem is latency, no fun having to fight that as well as the enemy team! So I'm very limited when I can play during the evening, especially at weekends, which in retrospect may be a blessing! 

I am impressed with the recent changes to the graphics and music which was well done. I also like Frontline, which could be WG's salvation, once the rough edges have been smoothed out and it comes into regular play. Whether that is sufficient to attract new players, or tempt players who have quit the game to return I don't know.

I don't know what changes would be popular. Personally I would prefer to see a mode for WWII tanks only, those who like their "fantasy" vehicles can get on and play them in  regular random games. If Frontline can be adapted to cater for varying tiers playing month to month, then I don't see why WG couldn't have a month for WWII vehicles only. At least that would be going some way to restoring the origins of the game. There yer go! A title for the mode, Frontline Origins!

Cuh! Do I have to do the thinking for everyone? ;)

Have fun, 

Guffy.

Jryder #37 Posted May 28 2018 - 16:06

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13714 battles

I do not understand the point of this kind of thread ("The game is dying"...). The only logical point that I can see is to encourage players to quit the game, thus killing it.

Do these threads somehow improve the game? No.

Do they call attention to some game problem in order to address it and improve the game? No.

Do these provide some useful information to help players enjoy their game experience? No.

Unless these are coming from shills paid off by competitors, they make no sense to me whatsoever (although in this particular case, it seems more like a "I am unhappy about pref MM happenings" disguised as a "The game is dying" post).

Sgt__Guffy #38 Posted May 28 2018 - 16:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3433 battles

View PostJryder, on May 28 2018 - 09:06, said:

I do not understand the point of this kind of thread ("The game is dying"...). The only logical point that I can see is to encourage players to quit the game, thus killing it.

Do these threads somehow improve the game? No.

Do they call attention to some game problem in order to address it and improve the game? No.

Do these provide some useful information to help players enjoy their game experience? No.

Unless these are coming from shills paid off by competitors, they make no sense to me whatsoever (although in this particular case, it seems more like a "I am unhappy about pref MM happenings" disguised as a "The game is dying" post).

Similar to the "We are going to lose" type of comment you get at the start of a battle. I am sure there are players who just sit back and say what's the point. 

LoneEagleFive #39 Posted May 28 2018 - 17:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4612 battles

View PostSoTrue, on May 28 2018 - 07:05, said:

-

-

-

Wormer? He's a dead man!

Marmalard? Dead!

Neidermeyer? Dead.

WOT? Dead!!!

-

(Honestly I don't understand how WG doesn't see why this game is dying.  It's not maps, it's not arty, it's not MM, it's not op premium tanks, it's not gold ammo.  It's none of that.  The single reason this game is dying is 'lack of player education'.  Under the current 'sink or swim - zero education' policy, it takes new players thousands of battles to get a basic handle on the gameplay.  Most people aren't going to put that kind of time into a game that's no fun until after you've played a few thousand battles.  And most of the minority of those who do, don't ever get any better.  I've seen players with 50k battles and a 49% win rate.  Really?  How can you be that bad after so long?  Oh, that's right, there really is no WG provided education.  If they want to save this game, they really need to do something drastic.  I would say something along the lines of hiring (insert youtube tank reviewer of choice here/ quickybaby, lemmingrush, whomever) to create an educational series for each tank.  That video would have to be watched before you could play it.  Each tank video would be 3-5 minutes-ish, and go over how to play the tank, actual battle snippets, how to train the crew, and how to equip the crew.  As well as teaching how to play the tank, I would emphasize/sneak in tips on how to read the map, work as a team, vision mechanics, camo mechanics, etc, etc.  By the time someone gets to tier 5-6, they would have had to watch a dozen or so (maybe more) of these videos.  I think it would go a looong way towards shortening the learning curve.

-

Additionally, I think there should be a 'bar' to get over before moving up a tier.  That bar could be something like having better than a 50% win rate over the last 30 battles in any given tank.  The 50% requirement would ensure the player has a basic grasp of how to play that tier.  This would prevent players from 'failing up' - failing up can't be fun for them, and is certainly a burden on the rest of the player base.  The 'last 30' battle count ensures bad players aren't burdened by the learning curve.  I.e. if someone is really bad at tier 4, say for 300 battles they get a 43% win rate.  They would not have to bring the overall win rate up, i.e. play another 500 battles at a higher win rate.  They would simply have to do well for the 'last' 30 battles.

-

Maybe if people didn't seal club in low tiers or exclusively play OP tanks the new players would stick around more.

BTW, you have trash stats for a seal clubber. Your tier 10 stats are below 50%. You are the player you are describing and complaining about.

24cups #40 Posted May 28 2018 - 17:48

Major

• Players
  • 22963 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostUrabouttudie, on May 28 2018 - 09:18, said:

and you'll still be a lonely forum troll with nobody to talk to...

It is inevitable really...

Nope I'll just merrily go on to something else.

You, however, will probably jump off a cliff with nothing to bit ch  about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users