Matilda...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

MissCreant #1 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 622 battles
  • [LEAFS] LEAFS

Explain to me, in nice easy terms for my simple mind, why Matilda?

Several people told me to go for the Matilda to start.  I looked at it and saw that my tier 1 crew wouldn't have to retrain from medium tanks to get there and, since I had no other ideas, I set a goal to get the Matilda and the A-20 (again no retraining my tutorial crew class).

The Matilda was supposed to be a beast!  Rule the battlefield!

Admittedly, it can take a few hits, so long as they aren't from the ever-present tier 6's (a rant for another day). It does shoot fast and it can penetrate other tanks.

However, it does no damage!  None!  Nix!  Ok ok it does a little damage.  I can sit there and pound on a higher tier tank putting 8 rounds into him and he just looks at me, sneers, insults me and my mother and then blows me away in 1-2 shots.

It also cannot move!  You have to sit where you started and look around!  Ok ok it can move A LITTLE, but not much!

This means you cannot get into the fight, it seems.  The fight has to come to you which means you are trying to survive against multiple enemies or (even worse!) the fight flows away from you and you can never reach it before your side won.

It also means that if you find yourself in trouble, you are STUCK!  No re-positioning or bravely running way. 

I have to listen to schmucks saying inane things like 'Matilda move!"  (right, lol.  Funny guy there...Matilda move.  LOL) 

Makes me miss my T-46 whenever I am in my Matilda!

How am I suppose to play this thing?  It just cannot dance - Dance like the neat T-46.

Edited by MissCreant, Jun 02 2018 - 00:02.

deepinthesticks #2 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 84220 battles
The Matilda is one of the best tier 4 tanks in the game. Granted it's as slow as Christmas and doesn't have a high alpha damage gun, but it has very solid armor for its tier with adequate penetration values and an insane rate of fire. A skilled Matilda driver can dominate a tier 4 or 5 game and make a solid contribution against the three (at most) tier 6s on the enemy team.

Edited by deepinthesticks, Jun 02 2018 - 00:17.

The_Illusive_Man #3 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 12744 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View Postdeepinthesticks, on Jun 01 2018 - 19:15, said:

The Matilda is one of the best tier 4 tanks in the game. Granted it's as slow as Christmas and doesn't have a high alpha damage gun, but it has very solid armor for its tier and the rate of fire is insane. A skilled Matilda driver can dominate a tier 4 or 5 game and make a solid contribution against the three (at most) tier 6s on the enemy team.

There can be more than 3 top tiers. Ive seen it (not 5-10)

OP, if you cant move, then there is something wrong with your input. The tank is slower than most, but it should still move. Just keep on top of events in the game, and you should be fine.

MissCreant #4 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 622 battles
  • [LEAFS] LEAFS

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Jun 02 2018 - 00:18, said:

There can be more than 3 top tiers. Ive seen it (not 5-10)

OP, if you cant move, then there is something wrong with your input. The tank is slower than most, but it should still move. Just keep on top of events in the game, and you should be fine.

I was trying for a wee bit of humor. :)

3nr0n #5 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18210 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

The Matilda with the 2lb gun will fire rounds almost as fast as you can click the mouse. 

It's slow so you have to pick where you want to be positioned on the battlefield, usually in a spot where you can snipe while others spot/engage.  Since tier 4/5 battles are chaotic and numbers will almost always prevail look at the map and pick spots that provide cover and also stop the enemy from flanking you.  There will always be the light tank that will either run to cap straight away or goes to try and kill the arty.  These are your primary target and once you have eliminated them then you can either stay in a defensive position or trundle along with the snails to help the attack.

The frontal armor for it's tier is good and the side armor will adsorb quite a few shots from tanks in the same tier.  You have to be very cautious and NEVER get caught without support from your team (if they are still alive).   "Camping" in a position that you can keep the enemy off the Hetzers and Stugs will both support them and they are anxious to get damage so it's mutually beneficial.

Map knowledge and knowing the expected routes the enemy will take are in your best interest.

It's a different play style from the Luch and light fast PZ's and takes a bit of time and map knowledge to find the best locations but once you do then you could have games where you kill 5 or more tanks simply because once they see you they will stop to shoot and then you track em and then peck them to death 55hp at a time.

dominator_98 #6 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 20151 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

It used to be better. When we had the old MM system, it was bottom tier less often, and that 55 alpha went farther. It does have some of the best pen for a tier 4 medium, and the armor works well against tier 3/4 tanks, which you saw more of under the old MM, where the Matilda got its reputation. 

I don't recommend you continue the Churchill line at this time, the rest of the line is slow, and the tier 5-7 are pretty poorly armored.

As far as playing the Matilda, try to keep the engagements at a distance. AP and APCR ammo loses pen over distance, and it's harder to aim at your weak spots, so your armor will hold up better. The gun works pretty well at range, too. The trick is to not stay so far back that you get left behind.

Isola_di_Fano #7 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:26

Major

• Players
  • 21799 battles

Are you talking about the Russian Matilda IV ? I will assume so since you reference the A20 and T46.

The Mat IV has very low pen, you need to learn the weak spots of your opponents.

Vs tier 4, all good.

Vs tier 5, careful aiming is needed.

Vs tier 6, do what you can.

Always try to shoot sides or rear coz the very low pen.

Decent earner for a tier 5.

Edit there are a couple of good vids on Youtube, take a look.

Edited by Isola_di_Fano, Jun 02 2018 - 00:28.

MissCreant #8 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 622 battles
  • [LEAFS] LEAFS

View Post3nr0n, on Jun 02 2018 - 00:22, said:

... usually in a spot where you can snipe while others spot/engage.  Since tier 4/5 battles are chaotic and numbers will almost always prevail look at the map and pick spots that provide cover and also stop the enemy from flanking you.  There will always be the light tank that will either run to cap straight away or goes to try and kill the arty.  These are your primary target and once you have eliminated them then you can either stay in a defensive position or trundle along with the snails to help the attack.

Sounds like I have been trying to play it correctly.  It is just so - so - so- FRUSTRATING when I have been used to the T-46!

MissCreant #9 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 622 battles
  • [LEAFS] LEAFS

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Jun 02 2018 - 00:26, said:

Are you talking about the Russian Matilda IV ? I will assume so since you reference the A20 and T46.

The Mat IV has very low pen, you need to learn the weak spots of your opponents.

Vs tier 4, all good.

Vs tier 5, careful aiming is needed.

Vs tier 6, do what you can.

Always try to shoot sides or rear coz the very low pen.

Decent earner for a tier 5.

Edit there are a couple of good vids on Youtube, take a look.

British  tier 4 Matlida.  Didn't know the Russians had one as well.

NL_Celt #10 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 00:42

Major

• Players
  • 27361 battles

View PostMissCreant, on Jun 01 2018 - 20:00, said:

British  tier 4 Matlida.  Didn't know the Russians had one as well.

Russians have a modified version as a premium. It has a different gun mantlet which will get you some bounces, great gun depression, but a gun with weak pen even with APCR. But it has low aim time and it seems to do alright anyway. The extra alpha helps out against the tanks it faces as they don't have lots of HP. It's not a great tank, but can be an effective trainer and it's cheap. If you play it smartly you can do alright. When top tiered you can bully a bit, when low tier be more careful.

With any slow tank like Matildas or Churchills you need to know where to go before the clock clicks down and get going asap and don't stop. You may still get left behind if your flank wins quickly. If you are defending assault then don't stray too far from base as you'll never get back

FrozenKemp #11 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 01:05

Major

• Players
  • 47965 battles
  • [SWU] SWU

View Post3nr0n, on Jun 01 2018 - 18:22, said:

It's slow so you have to pick where you want to be positioned on the battlefield, usually in a spot where you can snipe while others spot/engage.  Since tier 4/5 battles are chaotic and numbers will almost always prevail look at the map and pick spots that provide cover and also stop the enemy from flanking you.  There will always be the light tank that will either run to cap straight away or goes to try and kill the arty.  These are your primary target and once you have eliminated them then you can either stay in a defensive position or trundle along with the snails to help the attack.

I agree with the first part of your advice, but if the second part means staying further back then I disagree with that strongly.  I would advocate heading for that position you want ASAP - maybe stop to gun down a light tank, but I do not think they are your primary target. 

FrozenKemp #12 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 01:11

Major

• Players
  • 47965 battles
  • [SWU] SWU

Fighting an enemy higher tier tank:  ideally you are looking from behind the crest of a hill (just your turret showing - try to position yourself so that the ground is not far below your aiming circle) or from behind a rock while the enemy is looking somewhere else.  You pepper it with as many shots as you can and then pull back behind cover before it fires back.  Hopefully one of your allies takes a shot while it can't shoot at you, the enemy gets distracted and turns its turret.  Now go for some more shots.  

NomaeTheJester #13 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 01:46

Captain

• Players
  • 13909 battles

Sounds like slow tanks just aren't your cup of tea. It is true that the Matilda is one of the strongest tier 4s, but that only counts once it gets into position. Sometimes that horrendous mobility isn't worth the tradeoffs. If you don't like it, don't play it. And stay away from other super slow tanks (T28 and T28 prot, T95, Churchills, German Superheavies, Japanese Superheavies, some of the German TDs).

Good luck, and have fun!

steve6027 #14 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 02:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34730 battles
For me, the matilda was a training tool to introduce me to heavy tanks. Massive armour at tier iv allowed you to dominate and hold your own in tier v. i have my only kolobonovs in it, that sealed its fate as one of my favourites.

HOTA_CHATON #15 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 03:26

Major

• Players
  • 12650 battles
The Brit Tier IV is a great one to have.  I love to troll KV-1's with it, at a distance.  There is nothing they can do and it's hilarious.

3nr0n #16 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 03:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18210 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

View PostFrozenKemp, on Jun 01 2018 - 18:05, said:

I agree with the first part of your advice, but if the second part means staying further back then I disagree with that strongly.  I would advocate heading for that position you want ASAP - maybe stop to gun down a light tank, but I do not think they are your primary target. 

Thank you for your insight, I have just tried to relay my experience when playing that tank and keeping the fast moving light from becoming a swarm that encircled me in that tank helped, every player has a different outlook on things and all advise is welcome especially from a player who  has 3x the number of battles that I do.

oldewolfe #17 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 14:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 18098 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

It's a Good Tank, once you Understand it's Limits....

https://youtu.be/mRpjbwB7ZO8

https://youtu.be/M9aBfcRK_xE

When you're Bottom Tier, 9 out of 10 there will be No Comparison between Your Tank and the +2's....     Some Tanks are Closer than others, but while Code 22 has Leveled the Playing Field somewhat, it also WILL get used Against you despite them being 2 Tiers Higher.....        Play as Fair/Cheap/Stock as you can, but some games, the 2 Key will be your Only way Out....     In a -2 Situation, the 2 Key will be your Friend....

When You're the Top Dog, Bully them....      Don't take Unnecessary Risks, you can't chase anyone Down or Around, you can't Turn, you can't Run.....         Hit them at Range and work Inward, but keep a Healthy Distance....           Your Gun is Fast, Accurate, and when Top Tiered and maybe even in a +1, can Pen most anything at Range.....      Tailend of a Game, use the Armor and Gun and take the Fight to them....     Very few Tanks reload Faster at those Tiers....

OldFrog75 #18 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 15:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 10522 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

View PostMissCreant, on Jun 01 2018 - 15:27, said:

Sounds like I have been trying to play it correctly.  It is just so - so - so- FRUSTRATING when I have been used to the T-46!

Been there, done that only for me it was the Vale II.  Easy to get used to T-46 speed and the mobility it gives you on the battlefield.  Doesn't have a decent gun or any armor though.  Takes time to transition from rabbit to tortoise but the additional armor and firepower is definitely a plus.

Not_Connery #19 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 15:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6907 battles

View Post3nr0n, on Jun 02 2018 - 00:22, said:

The Matilda with the 2lb gun will fire rounds almost as fast as you can click the mouse. 

Who clicks?  When I have a good target, I just hold the button down. :playing:

Also, OP, learn to never go towards things head on in this tank - zig zag a bit (if possible) as that will keep you angled most of the time and will maximize the possibility of bounces/ricochets.

Sgt__Guffy #20 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 21:10

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3433 battles

View PostMissCreant, on Jun 01 2018 - 17:01, said:

Explain to me, in nice easy terms for my simple mind, why Matilda?

Several people told me to go for the Matilda to start.  I looked at it and saw that my tier 1 crew wouldn't have to retrain from medium tanks to get there and, since I had no other ideas, I set a goal to get the Matilda and the A-20 (again no retraining my tutorial crew class).

The Matilda was supposed to be a beast!  Rule the battlefield!

Admittedly, it can take a few hits, so long as they aren't from the ever-present tier 6's (a rant for another day). It does shoot fast and it can penetrate other tanks.

However, it does no damage!  None!  Nix!  Ok ok it does a little damage.  I can sit there and pound on a higher tier tank putting 8 rounds into him and he just looks at me, sneers, insults me and my mother and then blows me away in 1-2 shots.

It also cannot move!  You have to sit where you started and look around!  Ok ok it can move A LITTLE, but not much!

This means you cannot get into the fight, it seems.  The fight has to come to you which means you are trying to survive against multiple enemies or (even worse!) the fight flows away from you and you can never reach it before your side won.

It also means that if you find yourself in trouble, you are STUCK!  No re-positioning or bravely running way. 

I have to listen to schmucks saying inane things like 'Matilda move!"  (right, lol.  Funny guy there...Matilda move.  LOL) 

Makes me miss my T-46 whenever I am in my Matilda!

How am I suppose to play this thing?  It just cannot dance - Dance like the neat T-46.

I have played more games in a Matilda than any other tank, literally thousands. It is by far my favorite tank, a vehicle I truly feel comfortable with. 

There are a lot of fallacies flying around about how good the Matilda is and in the words of Claus Kellerman I will give you the no BS version so the reader can make their mind up whether you continue playing it or not. 

It is not a beast and does not rule the battlefield. That is utter nonsense. Like any vehicle it is only as good as the person playing it. A lot depends on how it is equipped and most importantly how it is played. 

There was a time the Matilda was a formidable force on the battlefield. The only real nemesis it had was the Hetzer. The T40 with a good player could better it at times. Now, that is not the case. There are a number of vehicles at the same tier, above and even tier three that can hurt even destroy a Matilda quite easily. It does come up against tier six, and it can damage a good number of vehicles, but, I have to tell you despite having an accurate gun, it can be hard work getting kills and the damage it inflicts is more like a sting rather than a bite.

The biggest asset the Matilda has is players who underestimate its capabilities. They think because it is slow it is not maneuverable and that is not so. In dog fights with a driver having clutch braking it can often better a faster tank. That said, players often play the Matilda incorrectly. The armor is useful, but it is not well armored and cannot take punishment in a one to one without losing a lot of HP. I have had many dog fights and bettered even higher tier opponents, but there is a cost and you can go through the rest of the battle as a one shot. So don't think you can rely on the armor for brawling, or you will have a swift return to the garage. 

It is best to think of the Matilda as an assassin. Equip it accordingly. I try to get the highest camo rating I can. Hidden, undetected it can be as lethal as any TD. It is good for ambushing and supporting advancing vehicles. It annoys me when you get players with the mentality that you must be up close and personal, brawling. The Matilda is dangerous at distance. The accurate gun can harass an enemy to distraction. It can pin an enemy behind cover to the point it dare not emerge. I have often bluffed a higher tier enemy player that way! The Matilda may be slow, but it can thread it's way through terrain taking out the unwary. Ignore a Matilda at your peril. While you are engaging that vehicle in front of you it could well be the Matilda, unseen, that is the one doing the real damage. 

I guess it is one of the benefits of a slow tank, When others around you are losing their turrets, you can keep yours and win!

So careful thought is needed to get the best out of the Matilda. It is very much the thinking persons vehicle. Once you commit to an action, it is too slow to chop and change your mind, so mistakes are expensive!  It is at its best when it does not attract attention. It can attack, support and defend very effectively. I have conducted some really good game saving defenses with my Tilly.

I will never part with it. It's a love thing. It is my default tank. If I have a bad session I usually resort to play the Matilda. I'd go as far as to state it is the one vehicle that keeps me playing the game. I cannot say that of any other vehicle.

Have fun, slowly.

Guffy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users