Struggling On Several Issues

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

ShadowMageNaeth #1 Posted Jun 05 2018 - 05:24

Private

• Players
  • 6496 battles
  • [FUSE] FUSE
Hello everyone that reads this, helpful or not. I'm not sure if I should put this here or elsewhere, or if I even count as a "newcomer" anymore. I'm making this as I have a few complaints/worries.

I've played a little under six thousand battles now, across many years. I first played the game years ago back when the KV was still a thing (before the split into 1 and 2). I was not good then. However, I've started playing again for about a month and a half now. First week I got back into it and it was fine. However that brings me to my first worry.

I have been trying desperately to improve. My stats have been saying that I'm actively doing worse then I was just a few weeks ago despite the effort. I'm not sure what happened or what I'm doing wrong. I've looked at guides, watched videos, and actively follow content creators for the game to try and learn. This doesn't seem to be working though. It's frustrating as I feel I put so much effort forth and actually do worse. If I make a mistake (which I do often) I try my best to correct it for the next time I play. A good example is getting destroyed constantly in lights because I'm not in a good position only to attempt a new position to have the same outcome. This doesn't seem to change my game play or actually improve anything. As a note, I play mostly Russians and Americans as of right now. Am I supposed to suck it up and just accept I'm bad and not improving? Am I going about the process the wrong way? The lack of success brings me onto the next thing.

Platoons. Yes, yes I know that other people have made threads and talked in detail about this. Still, it has me infuriated. I have a friend I play with, we are both kind of new and are trying to grind our way through the trees and have some fun. Then the game seems punish us for playing together. We want to play with one another, but the game is not fun when we play as the support tanks every single match. The bottom tier. I actually enjoy playing bottom tier, as long as I also get to have the variety of top tier. In our platoon together, that doesn't happen. So unlike other threads on this I'm complaining that it gets very stale. We fight the same vehicles over and over, always on the bottom tier. The variety of the World of Tanks match maker makes in fun, and playing with my friend removes that element of fun. Am I just supposed to play alone? Are we supposed to just accept playing support role every game, even if it gets boring? It's really pushing us away and seems to ruin the point of an MMO.

Lastly, I wanted to talk about my time commitment to this game. I have six thousand games, playing almost every day since I started again and even after all that I still don't have a tier ten. I have a few tier nines, one that is blatantly op but I've kinda sucked out in and another that remains stock in my garage because it's just not fun to play. Should I be worried that I don't have a tier ten yet? Is it supposed to take this long?

In the end, tldr:
1. I'm worried I'm not improving despite following all advice I can find (short of platooning with unicums).
2. My friend and I don't want to platoon and grind together anymore because platooning makes the game stale.
3. I feel like I'm behind on progression and somewhat frustrated.

Edited by ShadowMageNaeth, Jun 05 2018 - 05:26.

OldFrog75 #2 Posted Jun 05 2018 - 13:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 10510 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

View PostShadowMageNaeth, on Jun 04 2018 - 20:24, said:

I have been trying desperately to improve. I'm not sure what happened or what I'm doing wrong. I've looked at guides, watched videos, and actively follow content creators for the game to try and learn. This doesn't seem to be working though. It's frustrating as I feel I put so much effort forth and actually do worse. 

In the end, tldr:
1. I'm worried I'm not improving despite following all advice I can find (short of platooning with unicums).

I've had the same feelings.  Let me know if you find a solution.   :popcorn:

zhymm #3 Posted Jun 05 2018 - 14:46

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35158 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

Greetings, OP.

I'm no expert at this game.  Far from it.  And, like you, I've multiple "frustrations" with the game.  Despite that, I do have a few comments that may help with your enjoyment.  It is a game, after all.  And we're here to have fun.  I'll address your concerns in no particular order.

3. Progression up the tiers - my advice here is don't worry about it.  I have more than 5 times the number of battles played as you do (and in far less time - hey, I'm retired and everyday is Saturday in my world), have over 170 tanks in my garage, yet I have just 3 Tier X tanks and less than a dozen IX's.  One reason that's so is I've ground up most every branch to tier VII/VIII exploring them all.  In my opinion, higher tier play is not the "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" one would think (and what WG hopes you do think).  If you find a lower tier tank you really enjoy playing, play it!  You're here to have fun, right?  A couple of personal examples:  1) At Tier VII I have the US Scorpion TD.  Tiny, no armor, but, win or lose, I have a blast running around with it.  It suits my play style.  2) At Tier IV I have the GE Marder 38T TD.  I run it multiple times every game session because it's just so much fun.  And I have several other lower tier tanks that fit that mold for me.  So, don't sweat not having a bunch of high tier tanks in your garage by time you've run 10K+ battles.  Play what gives you pleasure and screw the elitists that look down their noses at you because you don't have the tanks THEY think you should have.

2. Platooning and stale play due to MM idiosyncrasies - try (both you and your buddy) to get into an active clan that runs Strongholds most every day.  It doesn't have to be a "top echelon" clan, either.  There are many that would welcome folks that will just show up, especially if you have teamspeak (or its ilk) installed.  It gets you away from being bottom tier all the time, puts you in a venue where teamwork really counts, and can help with making in-game friendships that improve your enjoyment of the game.  Barring joining a clan, you can still participate in SH's as a Legionaire.  Many of the players in the clan I'm in joined us after being a legionaire in our SH's and seeing what fun we were having as a group.  Without my clan membreship I would of quit playing this game a long time ago.

1. Improving one's game play - like you, this is one aspect of the game I've struggled with (and still do).  As far as watching Twitch streamers and YT videos, I've done this until my eyes are ready to fall out.  And, in my opinion, trying to emulate all you've seen can be frustrating because what you've just watched and noted is not a "cookie cutter" match to the next battle you're in.  I think there are few players that just "naturals" at this game (I'm certainly not one of them).  I've platooned with unicom players that will watch the mini-map for the first 30 seconds and use that "intell" to determine what to do.  And it changes from battle to battle on the same map.  And I'm asking them "How the hell did you do that?"  It's a process I've yet to master.  Regardless of this, I do have a couple bits of advice I've gleaned from watching good players.  1) When you fire that gun, MOVE.  Get back into cover, relocate, whatever.  It's become my "mantra" (Shoot, Move).  One has the habit of wanting to watch what your shot does (Player becomes Spectator).  Don't do that.  2) If you're being over matched, it's better to run away (if possible) to a better spot than doing the "noble thing" by standing your ground just to get wrecked by the enemy.  I've lost count of the times I've platooned with good players that have done just this.  I'd ask "Why are we running?" and hear in reply "That spot is a no-win, let's relocate." 3) When in doubt of what to do, go back to base.  I got this one from Claus Kellerman.  And, despite him being a bit of a goof, this one has worked for me.  If I get to a point in a battle where I'm not sure what I should do next, going back has proved (to me, at least) better than just sitting still or pushing into the unknown.

OK, this is getting long.  Remember, in the end, you're here to have fun.  Do what gives you fun.

OMZ

dunniteowl #4 Posted Jun 05 2018 - 21:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 21596 battles

You seem to be doing alright at your number of battles.  Don't sweat the minor details.

I take this game pretty simply on its face.  Here's my list of Important Things You Should Know ™  :

1]   If you don't know the rules, how can you really know what you're doing?  Honestly?  Could you play Monopoly if there were no rules and no-one to explain it to you?  No.  You'd be pushing things around, looking at the cards and HANDLING all the pieces, though not playing.  Know the rules.

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki  These are the game's rules as far as YOU are concerned.

Crew -- Global Wiki   The only thing that keeps growing and improving (besides YOU) is your crew.  Take care of them and learn what they can 'bring' to battle in terms of their combined skills/perks.

2]   You need a quick set of prioritization commands that will help you determine what to do in almost any situation.  If nothing else, you should have a 'guide' to your play running in your head.  Here's one of two of mine:

The Mantra

Survive (if you don't/can't survive, you can't)

Do Damage (if you don't/can't do this, find another way to)

Help Your Team (if you don't/won't do this, it will be harder to)

Win (which is never guaranteed)

No matter what you are doing, what situation you are in, this little mantra will 'tell' you what you should do at any given moment -- as long as you are clear on your unit's operational ability and your game mechanics.

3]  Play how YOU like and how YOU think you should.  That said, read those rules and game mechanics and learn what that might be.  You can't really develop a true playstyle until you know the way play is styled.  As you learn new things, though, remember the old engineering principles: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

This means that when you do decide to purposely learn a new tactic, trick or technique, stick with that one until you learn it and don't start adding more crap to your learning routine until you are certain you know what you're actually doing on the last one.  This will allow you to incorporate and develop habits that will help you instead of get in your way, due to learning them by accident or not learning important stuff first.

I definitely don't normally provide specific to tank advice.  If you'd like a greater 'breakdown' of your stats by me, I would happily engage in it for your sake alone.  It turns out that several others I have done this for seem to think I was pretty spot on with their situation, so...  if you'd like, I'd be willing.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
(remember, it's JUST a game)

Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 05 2018 - 21:31.

Redwave11 #5 Posted Jun 05 2018 - 22:27

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17774 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

View PostShadowMageNaeth, on Jun 05 2018 - 14:24, said:

In the end, tldr:
2. My friend and I don't want to platoon and grind together anymore because platooning makes the game stale.

1. Feel free to post some replays on the forums if you want advice, quite often it is difficult to improve if you dont know what you are doing wrong.

2. Platooning kind of does punish you because platoons see top tier less often, this is why I generally dont platoon anymore. But it can definitely be more fun and you can win more games if you are in a good platoon.

3. Everyone plateau in terms of skill until you find the next thing you need to fix which will bump your play up to the next level. it can happen spontaneously as well, I can remember playing the T-10 and over the course of a week or so my results in all my tanks went up from 1400 to 2000 wn8 and I have no idea what changed.

As for general advice for doing better:

• Try to learn skills that help you play any tank in any position as best you can. Often a good place to start is learning how to play 1v1 as random battles are often a series of 1v1 fights.
  • Try to turn random battles into a series of 1v1s. Even the best players lose against 2 players on open ground, do not take these engagements. Fortunately most fights dont happen on open ground so learning how to use armor and cover to you advantage is key.
  • Play 'competitive' game modes with callers. Playing Advances, Clan wars and even tier 8 skirmishes can be useful for learning new positions and how to work with your team mates so long as you have a competent commander and team.

OEFArmy #6 Posted Jun 06 2018 - 20:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30854 battles
  • [FUSON] FUSON

Dear OP,

Taking a quick look at your stats, I would note a few things:

1) They are very admirable for 6000 battles(not reroll)

2) Your recent stats are very dependent on the tanks you play.  For example, you have played 8 games in the Type 95 and did no damage because that tank is complete trash.  Just play the tanks you are good at(T34) and grind out free XP.  I personally don't recommend starting any grind below tier 5, and ideally you should be starting it at tier 6 unless the tier 5 tank is really good(t34 for example).

3) The truth about LTs is they are notoriously hard to master this early in your WOT career.  They require more map awareness, better grasp of the spotting/camo mechanics and a LOT more patience than other classes to play them effectively.  They do reward the player with much lower XVM caps and allow a decent player to insanely pad stats.

4) IMHO, you are moving on to tier 9 way too early in your career.  If your goal is to become an above average/good player, you should master the game at tier 7.  That tier allows you to make a mistake or two while at the same time requiring some skill to dominate.  I would stick to playing tier 7 until you can run 2000+ WN8 reliably across all classes of tanks.  It is also a tier where you can easily make credits while playing regular tanks and without a premium account.

5) Start and autoloader tree.  Autoloaders train map awareness and patience better than any other class of tanks in the game, including non-autoloading LTs.  They also teach you how to trade HP properly and that knowledge later become very valuable on regular cyclical tanks as well.  I would specifically remommend that Bat-25t or AMX 13-105 lines because they introduce consistent autoloading gameplay for tiers 6-10.

6) If you are stuggling in a particular tank, find unicum streamers that are playing THAT tank specifically and try to emulate what they do.  Do sessions of waching a stream for an hour and then trying to emulate what you saw for an hour or two.  If it works, great.  If it doesn't, rinse and repeat.

OldFrog75 #7 Posted Jun 06 2018 - 20:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 10510 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

View PostOEFArmy, on Jun 06 2018 - 11:17, said:

I would stick to playing tier 7 until you can run 2000+ WN8 reliably across all classes of tanks.  It is also a tier where you can easily make credits while playing regular tanks and without a premium account.

Might as well sell every tier VIII-X vehicle I have because I'm going to be in Tier VII forever...or until I die, whichever comes first.  :(

Edited by OldFrog75, Jun 06 2018 - 20:51.

SKurj #8 Posted Jun 06 2018 - 22:23

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13417 battles
Pick a couple of vehicles each session game session that are similar in play style, and stick with them for the night.   Don't hop between different vehicle types all the time.

ShadowMageNaeth #9 Posted Jun 06 2018 - 22:58

Private

• Players
  • 6496 battles
  • [FUSE] FUSE

View PostOEFArmy, on Jun 06 2018 - 19:17, said:

Just play the tanks you are good at(T34) and grind out free XP.  I personally don't recommend starting any grind below tier 5, and ideally you should be starting it at tier 6 unless the tier 5 tank is really good(t34 for example).

When you say this do you mean just play the tank and grind the regular free XP you get every game or do you mean getting XP on the tank then spending gold to get the experience off the tank?
The first one would mean I would be playing T34 nonstop, and would very quickly get burned out. The second would mean I need to be made of money. Neither is an option I'm terrible fond of, but I see what you are saying.

dunniteowl #10 Posted Jun 06 2018 - 23:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 21596 battles

View PostShadowMageNaeth, on Jun 06 2018 - 15:58, said:

When you say this do you mean just play the tank and grind the regular free XP you get every game or do you mean getting XP on the tank then spending gold to get the experience off the tank?
The first one would mean I would be playing T34 nonstop, and would very quickly get burned out. The second would mean I need to be made of money. Neither is an option I'm terrible fond of, but I see what you are saying.

If your tank is Fully Researched (meaning the Green XP bar for the next tank is now an Amber bar for credits, then, in the Garage, select your tank and click the check box up by your crew that says, "Accelerate Crew Training."  Doing this will provide the Tank/Combat XP to the Crew Member with the lowest overall skill rating.  In short, the lowest rated Crew Member then gets the Tank XP or double XP per match.

DON'T USE FREE XP for Crew XP UNTIL there is a sale and even then, it's still not the best use of the GOLD in this game, imo.

Hope that helps a bit.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

(who notices over time that a lot of Garage Info seems to 'get lost' for Many players)

ShadowMageNaeth #11 Posted Jun 06 2018 - 23:27

Private

• Players
  • 6496 battles
  • [FUSE] FUSE

View Postdunniteowl, on Jun 06 2018 - 22:15, said:

If your tank is Fully Researched (meaning the Green XP bar for the next tank is now an Amber bar for credits, then, in the Garage, select your tank and click the check box up by your crew that says, "Accelerate Crew Training."  Doing this will provide the Tank/Combat XP to the Crew Member with the lowest overall skill rating.  In short, the lowest rated Crew Member then gets the Tank XP or double XP per match.

DON'T USE FREE XP for Crew XP UNTIL there is a sale and even then, it's still not the best use of the GOLD in this game, imo.

Hope that helps a bit.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

(who notices over time that a lot of Garage Info seems to 'get lost' for Many players)

While this is helpful and I didn't realize you could spend free XP on your crew, I think you may have read my question incorrectly. I was referring to how free XP is gotten and whether or not I should be playing with the accelerate crew training on or off for grinding free XP to use on other tanks. I.e. playing T34 to get modules on say a T29.

ethics_gradient #12 Posted Jun 07 2018 - 00:00

Major

• Players
  • 37115 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

1.  Don't play tier VIII.  Period.  You have been doing well in the IS-3, but that won't last, because Tier VII right now is problematic.  You need to be playing a tank that can take on Tier X's (I try to only play my borsig at Tier VIII, for example).

2.  Don't play stock tanks.  Ever.  Accumulate free experience and fully upgrade your tank before playing it.  You get some free experience along with regular experience in each battle.  Use the boosters to accelerate the accumulation of free experience.  Never ever use free experience to research a new tank or to train crew.  Hoard it to upgrade your tanks.  For example, I have the Czech T50 (Tier IX) tank researched, but I'm waiting to accumulate enough free experience to upgrade it before I buy the tank.  This is not always possible, but try to at least get your tank up to snuff to the tier before playing.

3.  Right now, you're probably better off playing your Tier VII tanks.  You have been doing well in them, and it doesn't get hammered by MM as much as Tier VIII.

4.  Light tanks are problematic these days.  A few years ago, there were more scouting bushes and the light tanks all had good cammo.  Now the light tanks are more about mobile scouting and acting like a mobile gun platform.  They are really hard to play.

dunniteowl #13 Posted Jun 07 2018 - 01:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 21596 battles

View PostShadowMageNaeth, on Jun 06 2018 - 16:27, said:

While this is helpful and I didn't realize you could spend free XP on your crew, I think you may have read my question incorrectly. I was referring to how free XP is gotten and whether or not I should be playing with the accelerate crew training on or off for grinding free XP to use on other tanks. I.e. playing T34 to get modules on say a T29.

No, didn't misread you.  Telling you USE ACCELERATE CREW TRAINING.

If that's not clearl  USE ACCELERATE CREW TRAINING.

Just in case I was obtuse, I know I can be:  USE ACCELERATE CREW TRAINING.

I'm not attempting to be snarky, it's just that I thought it was clear when I said this:

"select your tank and click the check box up by your crew that says, "Accelerate Crew Training." "

"Doing this will provide the Tank/Combat XP to the Crew Member with the lowest overall skill rating.  In short, the lowest rated Crew Member then gets the Tank XP or double XP per match.

DON'T USE FREE XP for Crew XP UNTIL there is a sale and even then, it's still not the best use of the GOLD in this game, imo."

I have some form of OCD, so I'm purposely driving my point home just in case I was not entirely clear the first time.  I know I am a bit obtuse and abstract at times.  The fault is mine.

Hope THAT helps.  And the reason I say this is, even after you get real experienced and good at this, you're going to forget and let a tank or three continue to develop free XP.  Over time I have accrued 195,871 Free XP.  And I've been pretty careful, even by my standards.  :)

GL, HF & HSYBF!

(USE ACCELERATE CREW TRAINING)

Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 07 2018 - 01:27.

TsarCidron #14 Posted Jun 07 2018 - 02:24

Major

• Players
  • 6750 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

1.  Get into a clan that is active, with teamspeak, and willing to platoon (with you, with you and partner, etc)

2.  Understand, given your time off, you will have rust...  alot of rust.... even a bit more rust.  Maps, while not new, are new (since 1.0)

3.  Go back to the basics.  Read, watch vids, etc. (but, it does appear you have this well in hand)

4.  Focus on a couple lines.  Dont spread your play out among all lines, or even more than 5.   Try to focus on similar lines if you can so that you dont have to "re-apply" a new set of 'how does this tank work' with each match.  For example.  Play some Soviet TD mid-tier (su76, su85b, su85, su100)  then alternate when your tank is still in battle to the German (marder, hetzer, stug, jp4) as they play similar (ok, hetzer is a little out on its own, playstyle).   That will work a solid "How do I play a turretless td" into the databank we call the brain.   Not saying that you have to do German then Russian td's.  This example is just used as they are similar.  The two or three you play is up to you.  No flipflopping on play style is more the point here.

5.  Be patient.  No, Not "Be a camper".  Patience is meaning that you are not rushing to your doom. You have looked at the minimap and assessed where you should go.  Go with the lemmings if you have to.  Lemmings stay alive longer than speedbumps (that solitary hero that goes the other direction, pinging the map the whole way, asking for help, and is dead 45seconds in to a swarm of red)

6.  Learn the tank..  Not merely understand "I am a heavy, I have to go face to face with the enemy heavies".  No.  Understand what makes YOUR tank unique.  Is it armor, reload, gun, depression, speed.  What can YOU do to exploit your tanks strengths.  And by learning this, you will also learn in time, what you can do to exploit the red tanks weaknesses.  Example.  KV2 just shot. You now know you have time to get in two or three shots before he can retaliate. 

7. Learn to aim.  Auto aim will hit more often, granted.  But it aims at center mass.  That tends to be well armored, usually resulting in a non penetrating shot.  Manual aiming hits the weakspots (hatches, view ports, cupola, lower glacis, tracks, among others).

8.  Survive.  More time in battle = more experience and more credits.

9.  100% crews on top tanks.  Use the premium/gold tanks.  Make use of gold.  Get those two, three, four, five etc perk crews.  Same concept.  Make use of equipment on those top tanks too.

10. I leave this to the crowd.

t42592 #15 Posted Jun 07 2018 - 02:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20472 battles

View PostShadowMageNaeth, on Jun 04 2018 - 20:24, said:

Hello everyone that reads this, helpful or not. I'm not sure if I should put this here or elsewhere, or if I even count as a "newcomer" anymore. I'm making this as I have a few complaints/worries.

In the end, tldr:

Been here since beta, several clans later, this is what I learned, what I pass on to other.  DISCLAIMER - THIS IS FROM BETTER PLAYERS THAN I, ADVICE GIVEN TO ME.

• ALWAYS HIT WHAT YOUR AIMING AT
  • ALWAYS DO DAMAGE
  • KEEP YOUR GUN IN THE FIGHT AS LONG AS POSSIBLE
  • NEVER CHASE ONE TANK FOR A KILL

ADDENDUM

• WATCH WARGAMING VIDEOS ON 'GAME MECHANICS', 'SHELL MECHANICS', AND 'SIDE SCRAPING'.

Edited by t42592, Jun 07 2018 - 02:32.

OEFArmy #16 Posted Jun 07 2018 - 17:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30854 battles
  • [FUSON] FUSON

View PostOldFrog75, on Jun 06 2018 - 20:51, said:

Might as well sell every tier VIII-X vehicle I have because I'm going to be in Tier VII forever...or until I die, whichever comes first.  :(

That's a recommendation.  Different people are good at different things, so everyone has a different skill cap.  Let me rephrase that - Play tier 7 until you can reliably win 51%+ of your games(in tanks other than arty).  At that point you know that you at least are pulling your weight and are not causing your team to lose.  I would break it down like this: 1) at sub 49% you have a negative net effect on your team by being in battle 2) at 49-51% you have no effect on your team 3) At 51%+ you are starting to have a positive effect on your team in games.  Most unicums run 65%+ winrate and significantly affect their team performance in 30% of battles(30% because in a sense they improve their team loss chances by 15% to get to the mean and improve the winning chance by 15%).  The WN8 recommendation is if you want to get "good", otherwise, play whatever tiers/tanks that you enjoy playing, but understand, that the reason you are losing games are not your teammates(most of the time).

Edited by OEFArmy, Jun 07 2018 - 17:41.

OEFArmy #17 Posted Jun 07 2018 - 17:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30854 battles
  • [FUSON] FUSON

View PostShadowMageNaeth, on Jun 06 2018 - 22:58, said:

If you are worried about stats -  yes. you should play the tanks you perform well in, at least enough to mask your bad stats in other lines you are grinding.  When I am talking about Free XP, I mean FREE XP and not Elite XP.  Premium tanks grind all XP faster, including Free XP.  You should use said Free XP to unlock tank lines to at least tier 5(or more if the line is a praticularly bad grind).  You should also use said Free XP to upgrade your "grind" tanks when you can so that you are not playing stock tanks much.  Also, use premium rounds when you have to and grind out the credits for that in your T34.  There are some tanks, where in order to perform well you literally have to use premium rounds almost exclusiverly(T54/Object 430 II, most Soviet tanks tier 8+ that still get only 175-190ish pen).  Remember, tiers 9 and 10 are notoriously expensive to run, and the only way to make credits at those tiers is haveing a premium account.

TrevorsT112 #18 Posted Jun 11 2018 - 23:13

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3277 battles
Pretty much the new guy here, barely out of tier III, so more a word of thanks then advice. A lot of good advice from everyone here. Thanks zhymm, your post was a great read that offers what I am sure would be new light at the end of this tunnel for all new players. 

firekitty #19 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 17:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39003 battles
  • [IMWAR] IMWAR

OP,

Also in newcomers forums, there is a post titled " friendly tankers willing to platoon and teach some tricks". In that post, myself and others provided several links to some vids to help with many things prompting you to make this post. Watch the vids shown there.

This game has a steep learning curve, and constantly changes and evolves <<<< That is what makes it so fun! Use your stats to see where you need to improve, as well as areas you do well in, such as accuracy, blocking dmg/armor use efficiency, spotting, etc. Don't forget too, that when starting a new tank/line, you will have a stock tank most times with an unskilled crew. If you have zero battles in a tank, the same tank played for say 1,000 battles will have top equipment, mounted modules, AND a VERY skilled crew- it will out perform your same tank every time, so don't fret if not doing well in a tank until crew gets a couple skills on it- makes a huge difference in many tanks.

I do suggest learning each tank type well for the roles, and becoming " map AND flow of battle aware". The mini map is your friend, use it !!!!!! The radial dial ( Z key, hold) has 3 sets of commands- become familiar with all of them. The commands change depending on what your reticle is aimed at; the ground, a team mate, or an enemy. These are very useful to communicate to team- learn them. And ya, don't spam chat either.

Edited by firekitty, Jun 12 2018 - 17:57.

Boghie #20 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 22:23

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5354 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostOEFArmy, on Jun 07 2018 - 11:32, said:

That's a recommendation.  Different people are good at different things, so everyone has a different skill cap.  Let me rephrase that - Play tier 7 until you can reliably win 51%+ of your games(in tanks other than arty).  At that point you know that you at least are pulling your weight and are not causing your team to lose.  I would break it down like this: 1) at sub 49% you have a negative net effect on your team by being in battle 2) at 49-51% you have no effect on your team 3) At 51%+ you are starting to have a positive effect on your team in games.  Most unicums run 65%+ winrate and significantly affect their team performance in 30% of battles(30% because in a sense they improve their team loss chances by 15% to get to the mean and improve the winning chance by 15%).  The WN8 recommendation is if you want to get "good", otherwise, play whatever tiers/tanks that you enjoy playing, but understand, that the reason you are losing games are not your teammates(most of the time).

Very nice post...

I have been following that model toward progression to the next tier for some time now.  Regretfully, that is why I am still at Tier V for most of my battles:hiding:

I think this is great advice and a great metric.  Nothing is more disruptive to a team than some guy racing the tiers and ending up on your team with 92 total battles in him.  Well, not quite nothing - but, pretty close.  I'm not a stat grinder, but I feel more comfortable when I see Yellow+ players with a decent game count on my team.  Generally they go to where the fight is.  Generally they will use your spots if you are in an LT.  Generally, they will provide spots if they are in an LT.  Generally, they hit what they are aiming at.  They just know the maps and know how to penalize the mistakes of the opposition. 

Game count and a decent WR matter and most can attain both with a bit of diligence and some time.  When I bump into Tier VI more solidly I want my teammates who are scanning the pregame panels not to worry about me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users