1-2 shots of damage max

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

FrozenKemp #41 Posted Jun 10 2018 - 13:53

Major

• Players
  • 45658 battles

I watched the ARL 44 game and I do feel what Dunnite said about getting your gun into the game applies.  You drove up towards the centre hill - for a bottom tier heavy I think that's a reasonably good idea.  A bunch of tanks got lit in the east and while you looked to see if you could get a shot, you didn't alter your movement to see if you could improve that possibility.

You spent an awful lot of time south of cap just moving back and forth and never made a major reposition, for better or worse.  You checked to see if you could get shots at enemy tanks through walls of the castle.  I guess that comes down to experience with the map.  When the Cromwell pushed the light tank on cap you didn't go help, when the enemy KV-85 came along the river you didn't see him on the minimap I guess. 

Enemy tanks can shoot you when you can shoot them only if (A) they can see you, and (B) they are pointing their gun at you.  That excludes enemy tanks spotted by allies.  It excludes enemy tanks engaged with allies that you flank.  It excludes teaming up on an enemy tank from two directions so that you force him to look one way or the other, and the ally not being looked at goes for a shot. 

Captain_Rownd #42 Posted Jun 10 2018 - 17:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2308 battles

I didn't see much possibility of helping the Cromwell without putting myself in an extremely vulnerable position slowly crossing that ridgeline, which would have been a bad gamble to get maybe one shot at that AMX, and after that I'd be stuck in a more vulnerable location. 

When I went to that location I thought there would be more cover over the crest of that hill, but when I got there I saw that there wasn't, which left me with the castle direction to shoot at and I missed my one chance to hit the CDC.  There is a doorway in that castle wall where vehicles often appear, but didn't have a line of sight on that initially.  A bit later, not having anything to shoot at from that location, I eventually moved around the ridge and in to help cap.  I didn't see any major reposition that was going to amount to much more than wasting time or driving into guns. I didn't expect to get any useful shots to the far east side from there.

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Jun 10 2018 - 17:36.

Captain_Rownd #43 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 23:24

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2308 battles

I checked out my garage this morning to see what the patch was about, and while browsing around I spied a never-driven Valentine I that I had completely forgotten about many months ago.  I suspect that my 10 battles this weekend will begin with some Val I & Val II  

Mr_Sneelock #44 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 00:33

Private

• -Players-
  • 2200 battles

Something that’s really helped me is turning off the team lists on the screen and making the mini map bigger. I did this because I found myself staring at the team lists instead of the mini map during moments of down time. Counting the tanks on the mini map , how many tanks are undetected and where they’re likely to be based on what’s been scouted.  The game is easier when you have an idea where all the tanks are.  It’s also helping me learn view range circles and detection. When I get better and have more knowledge to be able to use the team lists I’ll turn them back on, at the moment I’ll only really check at the start of the battle (what are the biggest threats)and towards the end of the battle by pressing tab.

The game gets way easier with a good crew, I agree with the guys here play 2-3 tanks so you can learn them but also so your crew can get more skilled.  I’m also a new player and I think most of the time at T6-7 I’m  playing against players with 3+ skill crews which means they’ll likely detect me first, aim faster and reload faster. 

Just my 2c worth 

Captain_Rownd #45 Posted Jun 17 2018 - 01:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2308 battles

Valentine I/II gameplay:

1) Drive forward, as rapidly as your Volkswagen Bug engine allows

2) Spot enemies, usually 3-4 at once

3) Hold down the Fire button while giving no fscks about impotent return fire

4) Hear the pings as their tears of despair bounce off of your hull

5) Profit!!$!!!

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Jun 17 2018 - 01:58.

Captain_Rownd #46 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 05:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2308 battles

It's this kind of day:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4409306#murovanka-rownd-amx_40

The_Pushok #47 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 05:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10816 battles
  • [IT420] IT420

It took me forever until it "clicked" on how to be a better player. Admittedly, the first few thousand games I was not taking this seriously at all, really was just screwing around trying to get credits and xp for the KV1 where I would said "I will start playing seriously". I did start trying, but seemed I was just getting killed without doing any damage. It also did not help I was using a touch pad.

The it just clicked with me, and I got a mouse, and started to really take the game seriously. You can see on the charts where my wn8, dmg, xp, etc, all spiked right away, then has a good trend upwards (though wr has been stubbornly in the mid 46% range).

I started outfitting my tanks with equipment and consumables, none of which I used before. Started understanding the crew skills, and I think two real important things were knowing the maps and knowing the role your tank is optimal doing. It is also just basic playing skills (mouse/keypad), things like timing shots while the other tank is loading, know when you should probably try to flank or something, etc. A lot of things to it. Watch good players play, see what they are doing, see what those left in your battles are doing after you are destroyed.

Captain_Rownd #48 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 07:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2308 battles

View PostThe_Pushok, on Jun 18 2018 - 18:37, said:

I started outfitting my tanks with equipment and consumables, none of which I used before. Started understanding the crew skills, and I think two real important things were knowing the maps and knowing the role your tank is optimal doing. It is also just basic playing skills (mouse/keypad), things like timing shots while the other tank is loading, know when you should probably try to flank or something, etc. A lot of things to it. Watch good players play, see what they are doing, see what those left in your battles are doing after you are destroyed.

I have my vehicles outfitted, crews trained, spend lots of gold, etc, and I know how the game works.  My primary problem is I just don't know the maps in microscopic detail, so I never know if I can shoot or be shot from any given location, until I'm being hit when it's too late.  Some people seem to have the landscape memorized, and I'll never play enough to memorize the maps in detail like that. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Jun 19 2018 - 07:48.

BonnieKitty #49 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 14:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4816 battles

Cap'n, first off, thanks for creating a thread the rest of us can learn from! Excellent info flying in, even for us slow learners.

That said, I don't know if you recognize this or not, but, do you notice how your responses seem to be "I do that already" or "Here's what I was doing"? It's natural, as we alone know what we were trying to do, but it interferes with learning from others and tends to subconsciously turn people off to helping any more. I bite my lip bloody if need be, and try to focus on 'hearing them' as much as possible. The advice given sometimes seems obvious, but it's a lot more subtle than we recognize. At my level, I'm still looking for big improvements and really have to concentrate to understand that the secret is little things.

Edited by BonnieKitty, Jun 19 2018 - 16:03.

dunniteowl #50 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 14:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 20410 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Jun 19 2018 - 00:47, said:

I have my vehicles outfitted, crews trained, spend lots of gold, etc, and I know how the game works.  My primary problem is I just don't know the maps in microscopic detail, so I never know if I can shoot or be shot from any given location, until I'm being hit when it's too late.  Some people seem to have the landscape memorized, and I'll never play enough to memorize the maps in detail like that. 

I would ROUNDLY dispute either side of this claim, based only on your profile page stats.  Were I to dig deeper, I could probably point to something specific.

That said, you are doing MUCH better and that's always a good thing.  Just don't start believing your own hype over your skills just yet.  Stay focused on the FACT that this game does take a decent amount of time.  Truth be told, most folks learn the maps better than they should at first -- at least, their chosen PART of those maps -- because they have nothing else in their minds to have to learn.

You do NOT know how the game works yet.  You have the information on it and you're aware of it.  You won't be able to say you KNOW it until your efforts are more win than loss, period. I would say I KNOW how the game works.  You might have a really good idea and all the information, though that connaissance must percolate into actions that make a difference before KNOW really applies.

End of OP specific comments...

Map Knowledge is a sketchy thing.  You can know areas of a map really well, though, due to placement, unit used, tier and team compositions and MM spawns, you might never see a whole third or half of many maps for hundreds of matches on them.  Most folks get hung up on being in a particular type of terrain, really, because, that's what it all boils down to in the first place.  And that sort of knowledge doesn't require you to learn every nook and cranny of any map.

Here's the thing.  Maps are nothing more than a collection of geographic features with vegetation, rocks, man-made items and the like.  All that REALLY matters to any unit on that map is:  HOW MUCH COVER/CONCEALMENT does the terrain provide and HOW DO I USE IT?  This will be more clear to anyone who will take the time to do this a few times and get an idea from a 'ground view' instead of the arcade view most use and the sniper mode.

Zoom in your Arcade View until you are just behind the tank, sort of a Commander's Eye View perspective of the game.  Sort of like placing yourself in the cupola and looking around at the game's environment in the same manner you would if you were actually there.  Look around you.  All those vegetation thingys block your view -- and the view of others, to a point.  All the terrain depressions, the way the ground rolls, wavy hills and ridges, rocks, boulders, houses, etc.  They are all objects, literally modeled objects, that are part of your terrain and no matter that map, those terrain Features (hills, rocks, cliffs, rivers) and those terrain Objects (houses, fences, cars, trees, bushes) will be there doing what they do for the player that knows how to use them.

This is a DIFFERENT kind of knowing the map.  I design board wargames and role playing games and have done since I was 17 or so.  Mostly for my own enjoyment and mental exercise.  In the process I learned a lot about map making and geography.  It boils down to, in a game environment, terrain features and terrain objects.  Features are unalterable things like a mountain.  Objects are generally destructible to some degree (in real life, the game sort of cheats in places).

No matter if you are on Sand River, Ensk, Pilsen or El Halluf, those features and objects provide the exact same level of usefulness to you if they are there on the map.  This can allow you to learn to take advantage of these features and objects in a city map, an open field map, a desert map or a snow blanketed map.  None of those things really matter to the game engine or to you except as a perception of how things appear.

Taking this idea, you look around you whenever you are uncertain as to how to travel or peek and poke.  Pull yourself into that cupola view and literally look around you and see how you can flank someone, get away from someone or sneak up to a better position unspotted.  No matter the map or its 'intricate' details, the objects and features are all that matter to you and your tank and how they relate to the "Survive, Do Damage, Help Your Team" concept.

[More OP specific, though useful to anyone]

Keep at it and think about this map stuff I mention.  Also, don't get like you know stuff too fast, because it could place a damper on your learning path and right now, you still have to develop the habit of attempting to be in Learn Mode before you go further or you will end up hampering your own training by ignoring the stuff 'you already know.'  You should regularly mentally refresh yourself on just about every aspect of playing from time to time.  It's easy to forget to do things and it's even easier when you are distracted by watching the reload timer as you say, "Come on, come on, just a bit more..." and forget to glance at the Map or to check your six, that sort of thing.

[/end OP specific]

I believe I do KNOW the game mechanics, however, I am still learning them and I am still learning to APPLY them to my gaming all the time.  Its sort of like, well for me, anyway, math and numbers.  The more I play with them the more I get revelations on how they operate on different levels.  The game mechanics are like that for me as well.  The more I read up and study them, then observe the games I play and the things that happen -- more stuff starts to 'click' into place and it's like getting a small revelation or insight into how to do things a bit more efficiently, with better cover, positioning better -- all the time.

Knowing is half the battle.  TO KNOW though is not just what's in your head as you get it, it's how you APPLY it to your efforts that shows whether or not you truly are getting those things learned.  

This was hard won and hard learned knowledge that applies to life as well as this game.  Observations, knowledge and application are ALL necessary to make things happen.  Miss out on any one of those and you are going to have trouble somewhere.

Hope that was helpful to any and all and please be certain, Captain_Rownd, my comments to you are intended to provide more depth and not just dismissal of your comment.  The rest of you that took the time to wade through it, thanks.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 19 2018 - 14:46.

Captain_Rownd #51 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 21:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2308 battles

View PostBonnieKitty, on Jun 19 2018 - 03:00, said:

Cap'n, first off, thanks for creating a thread the rest of us can learn from! Excellent info flying in, even for us slow learners.

That said, I don't know if you recognize this or not, but, do you notice how your responses seem to be "I do that already" or "Here's what I was doing"? It's natural, as we alone know what we were trying to do, but it interferes with learning from others and tends to subconsciously turn people off to helping any more. I bite my lip bloody if need be, and try to focus on 'hearing them' as much as possible. The advice given sometimes seems obvious, but it's a lot more subtle than we recognize. At my level, I'm still looking for big improvements and really have to concentrate to understand that the secret is little things.

The flip side is that "obvious" advice is the things I've already known from the beginning.  If somebody says "don't die", yes my response is along the lines of "well I wasn't trying to die there, I was trying to...".  "Don't die" is not new information, and since I was already trying to not die it really doesn't give me anything to work with.  I do everything I do for reasons, and getting to the reasoning is where some interesting discussion might happen.

I more or less started this thread as a vent about the years of absolute futility players endure in this game.  Or perhaps futility is as good as it gets for many of us.  It's not just a matter of not being good, but being a less experienced player in Tanks means you're often never even in the battle.  I started out in Warships which is a vastly easier game, in part because it's rare to get instantly nuked from full health, but in larger part because the terrain is simple flat open water. 

NathanX42 #52 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 04:39

Private

• -Players-
  • 545 battles
Same thing but only in -2 MM where someone with 500~600 HP is expected to take on a tank with 1500

Captain_Rownd #53 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 17:02

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2308 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jun 19 2018 - 03:42, said:

Zoom in your Arcade View until you are just behind the tank, sort of a Commander's Eye View perspective of the game. 

I might start using that "zoom" level as a third viewing level.  I have not done the zooming thing in the past because I get a bit disoriented by it, and because I have one of those junk mouses with the clicky scroll wheel, and it drives me nuts when it clicks as I move it.  I wish I could just toggle between the 3 "zoom" levels - the others are just getting in the way.

I have gone over 100 games of Ducking.  Vlve Le Duq!

dunniteowl #54 Posted Jun 21 2018 - 03:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 20410 battles

Rownd, I play on a laptop made in 2010, that shares 6G RAM with the Video Chip, with a wireless internet connection, using a wireless mouse (with one of those dang scroll wheels, too) and generally get to see the game at around 9fps right now, so for me its more like watching slides of the bachelor party -- there's more missing than is there and once in a while I get to see something exciting.

You can do this, I am certain of it.

GL, HF & HSYBF

ChromeSausage #55 Posted Jun 21 2018 - 18:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 280 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Jun 05 2018 - 08:26, said:

A few things:

For replays, you'll need to make one small change:

In the upper left hand corner of our garage, there's a gear.  Click that.

Go to "Settings" and scroll to the bottom

In the lower left you'll see "Battle recordings" turn this to "all"

On your computer, your replays will be stored, by default, in C:/Games/Worldoftanks/replays

Each replay file is generally 1 megabyte, sometimes 2 or 3 if it goes to 15 minutes in length.

If you have a game you're curious as to what to do better, alt-tab out of your game once it's over and upload the latest replay file to the world of tanks replay website.  

Post replay link here.

I do not recommend playing for x3/x2 right now, nor do I recommend shuffling through a wide array of tanks so early in your tanks adventure.  This is not a game of instant gratification, and scrambling through a multitude of different tanks won't let much in the way of lessons stick.  TDs, heavies, mediums, lights, they all play differently.

I suggest holding off playing lights and arty until last, for one is very difficult to play well and the other doesn't have consistent drastic impacts in games.

I'd stick with your current crop of tanks, but find 2 or 3 that you would like to learn and play them.  Again and again.  Become intimate with what each tank can and can't do, understand positions where you can get shots and positions where you get shot.  Stay in tier 4/5/6 for now, these are mid tiers and good learning environments.  Play each tank for a 100 - 200 games.  Get a decent crew, learn the ammo loadouts and how they work.  Look for guides and how-to-play guides on each tank you're going to play.

The more you put into this game, the more you'll get out of it.  Not cash, but in taking 10 minutes every session to learn something new.  A map's position.  A tank's armor values (Tanks.gg is a great website for this) and so on.

Hope that helps.

Thanks man.  This helps me, too.  I've wondered how I can record my gameplay without using a recording program.

_Tsavo_ #56 Posted Jun 21 2018 - 19:22

Major

• Players
  • 40305 battles

View PostChromeSausage, on Jun 21 2018 - 12:47, said:

Thanks man.  This helps me, too.  I've wondered how I can record my gameplay without using a recording program.

Always happy to help C:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users