• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Gnomon #1 Posted Jun 08 2018 - 14:39

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 602 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
Hiya, folks! 

Hope that you’re having a great Friday so far. 

Today I wanted to talk about the new Grand Battle map. 

We’re making progress with the map (the one in Soviet setting). Previously, we tested two variants of this map that had different gameplay layouts. Today, we begin the Supertest of an updated version of said map. We based our changes on the feedback we received on both prototypes. Also, I have some screenshots in the spoilers below, if you're interested. 

The new version of the ‘Soviet’ Grand Battle map combines open spaces with city blocks. Its size is 1800m×1800m (1400m×1400m by the red line).
While working on it we were very interested in adding more interaction between different attack routes. Advancing on either of the flanks and securing a strong position will give you multiple options for continuing your assault and also for supporting allies battling it out in other parts of the map. All routes next to each other are interconnected in such way.

The map has 5 combat zones:

1. The western bypass. A large open area split into several sections by the river. This zone fits ambushing snipers, but the river banks can cover attacking teammates from enemy fire.
  2. The city blocks. This place favors well armored tanks and close quarters brawling. It offers plenty of options you can use to outmaneuver enemies, and it has a shortcut to the enemy base.
  3. The central hill. Tanks with good gun depression can benefit here and also help their allies in close vicinity. At the start of the battle light tanks may be able catch a glimpse at where the opponents are headed with some quick scouting. 
  4. The “Bottleneck”. This isolated part of the map suits heavily armored tanks. It can be used for flanking the city blocks zone (2) and helping out friendlies.
  5. The village in the east. Speedy tanks can hide behind several destructible houses. Hit-and-run tactics may be employed. Taking this spot gives you a nice view of the hill (3) and the ability to control what’s happening there.
  6. On this stage of testing, we plan to check the balance on the entire map and on every separate attack route. We’ll also assess how well those earlier mentioned neighboring assault directions are working out. Depending on the results we’ll decide what happens next to this map prototype.

Map

Screenshots (warning: lots o'pics)
Be sure to keep an eye out on the news, and best of luck in your battles!

Gnomon #2 Posted Jun 08 2018 - 14:39

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 602 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

I had to make a second post because there were too many images :izmena:

Even More Screenshots

Nudnick #3 Posted Jun 08 2018 - 14:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 23561 battles
Nice. Tell the devs all the maps above tier five should be this big.

xrays_ #4 Posted Jun 08 2018 - 15:11

Major

• Players
  • 46221 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostGnomon, on Jun 08 2018 - 08:39, said:

Today I wanted to talk about the new Grand Battle map. 
Areas safe from artillery: 

My CGC is laughing at you. Seriously.

x.

LeaveIT2Beaver #5 Posted Jun 08 2018 - 19:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 29623 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

Looks good. Is it just me or do I see actual pieces of these maps on this new map? 

• Ensk
  • Murovanka
  • Prokhorovka
  • Fisherman's Bay

WOLPERTINGER_ #6 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 19:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26035 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

What good does it do that we get a new grand battle map/s and we play a grand battle every "BLUE MOON"!

Wargaming should put more effort in returning old maps or make new ones fro the game.

Because the current map rotation sucks ball$. 

3BAC #7 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 19:37

Major

• Players
  • 59143 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Jun 08 2018 - 18:10, said:

Looks good. Is it just me or do I see actual pieces of these maps on this new map? 

• Ensk
  • Murovanka
  • Prokhorovka
  • Fisherman's Bay

Most likely, WG has figured out that, by developing reusable terrain, they create make maps faster. If they could figure out how to make them balanced the first time, we'd be swimming in maps..

View PostWOLPERTINGER_, on Jun 09 2018 - 18:14, said:

What good does it do that we get a new grand battle map/s and we play a grand battle every "BLUE MOON"!

Wargaming should put more effort in returning old maps or make new ones fro the game.

Because the current map rotation sucks ball$. 

It is my hope that, once they get at least three Grand Battle maps, then they can make it so you can't turn it off. Too many tier 10 drivers want tier 8s to shoot at, so they turn off GB.

Crabybaby #8 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 21:26

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22590 battles

New maps are always good, and Grand Battles could use more variety.

Just make sure it's balanced properly, and I will gladly welcome it.

Also tagged with supertest, grand battle, map

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users