• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Jhuderis #1 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 01:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3225 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Heyo,

Just crossed 500 games played. 337 of those are in a T-70 that I was thinking I'd try to focus on, getting my first set of crew skills and some decent equipment. Thing is, after 337 games, I don't have my first skill at 100% (camo) for my crew. I've elited the tank quite a while back. 

Anywhoo, since I have no frame of "grind" reference for this game, I'm curious if I'm going slowly, normal, god-forbid it's fast haha. I have played MMO's etc. in the past and know what it's like to grind for things, but this game does feel rough as a new person trying to figure out all the bits and pieces of crew/equipment management in addition to the actual tanks.

Cheers!

Slone #2 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 01:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19083 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S
The T-70 is a Tier 3 tank, so relatively speaking it gets a low amount of credits and experience per battle. You'd be much better off pushing up to T5 and grinding there for a while, the rewards will be much more lucrative. Better still would be to push up to T5 and get yourself a premium tank of the same type that you could swap your crew into for and extra daily double, plus bigger credit and crew experience rewards. For example, push to the T-34 and buy the Matilda IV, of get the KV-1 and buy the Churchill III (my preference). With a regular and premium T5 you should be able to earn decent credits. Plus you'll learn a lot more at T5 than T3 because the tanks differentiate much more at T5. And at various times you can buy the premium T5s at a discount, so they are relatively cheap.

Isola_di_Fano #3 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 01:34

Major

• Players
  • 22334 battles

The thing is you need 95,484 XP for the main qualification and then another 210,060 XP to complete the first skill.

A good part of the XP received is based on damage done ... the lower the tier the less damage you do.

Also, winning games increase the amount of XP and silver received by 50%.

http://wio.ru/strat/wot-exp-eng.htm

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew

AS of now you are doing 242 XP on average per battle, grinding will be a b*tch

https://worldoftanks.com/en/community/accounts/1031064968-Jhuderis/

alloyA #4 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 01:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5674 battles
  • [MUG-T] MUG-T
You have a lot of grinding to do. I have just over 2800 battles (more or less), so I'm still a noob. I'm grinding the Russian med line, the American TD line and the Italian med line. I have paid WG for gold and premiums. I use the premium tanks to train crews to 100% and use the perks. I switch crews to with the better perks to my regular grinds. I convert the XP I make with the premiums so I can grind up the lines. I do this even though my WR is only 45%. So I still suck. I enjoy playing my T5, T6 and T7 premiums. My T8's are always almost fodder for the MM system. Matched against T10's, the T8's can't pen and usually are good for mop up duty if not dead. Good luck! 

Edited by alloyA, Jun 09 2018 - 01:37.

dominator_98 #5 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 02:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 20584 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON

Start your crew skills grind at tier 5. When I started Black Desert Online, I was told to push through to the “awakening” skills at level 56 and then figure out what I was doing. It’s the same thing in World of Tanks. The game doesn’t really start until tier 5.

Your crew grind is really slow for three reasons.

1. You’re new and doing relatively low amounts of damage, so you’re getting less than average xp per battle. The only solution for this is experience, and actively looking for where you screwed up. I encourage you to post games where you did well but think you could have done better on the forums and people will give you tips on what you can improve upon.

2. You’re at tier three, where there’s less xp anyways.

3. You’re not using a premium tank (+50% credits and crew xp), which stacks with premium account time (another +50% to credits, xp, and crew xp), and I doubt you’ve got a lot of personal reserve boosters (usually 100-300%). Most missions that give personal reserve boosters start at tier 4+, which is another reason to do your grinding at tier 5.

This game isn’t too noob-friendly, but hang in there, it’s worth it once you know what you’re doing.

9435 #6 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 02:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 147 battles
I would suggest to grind tanks to tier 5, then grind crews.  This is where you start to learn how to play the game.  Lower tiers aren't that useful.

Peak_Bagger #7 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 03:54

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16990 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

Jhuderis, I really wouldn't worry about focussing on grinding crews yet. Just try out different tanks, play the ones you like and explore. There are strategies to speed up crew training dramatically (multiple premium tanks, boosters, X2 crew weekends, etc) but that can come later. Right now, it will likely just make the game a chore if that's your focus.

I see you've got 500 games in just over 3 weeks. Looks like you're hooked! And I see you've aced the T-70 already. Well done! I recall a game last week where you and I carried a flank together although we were badly outnumbered. You're well on your way!

I don't see any premium tanks at all in your arsenal. Did you not get a premium when you signed up? Be sure to do the Tank Academy when you get a chance to get a free Locust. Free is good!

Good luck out there and happy tanking!

dunniteowl #8 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 06:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 23886 battles

The Grind Goes On Forever and the Premium Never Ends...

The Grind is real.  Don't let it make you grind your teeth.

If you like coffee, this game is the ultimate grind for your bean.

The grind is like the sound of machinery in the background.  It's always there and you can come to ignore it completely.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Gtraxeman #9 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 12:44

Captain

• Players
  • 30279 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Welcome my friend, welcome to the machine.  I like the advice of "explore" for a while. Helps keep the chore/job aspect away from game. Tired of grinding things, just settle back and have fun. There really is no endgame in WOT, so dont feel the need to rush.

Worland #10 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 14:12

Major

• Players
  • 16766 battles
I think you've learned a good lesson. Don't grind skills at tier 3. You're much better off to just play tier 5 and grind there.

As a 100% free player with no premium tanks, it took me up to 200 battles to grind that first skill when I started playing the game.

Jhuderis #11 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 18:29

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3225 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies!

I guess I was a bit confused by the various "noob guides" that I was reading. Several said to pick a Tier 2-3 tank and stick with it for a while, so that's what I've been doing with the T-70. I recently went back to my T-46 and I've been having more fun than with the T-70. I'll start planning a path to T5 and work my way there faster rather than slower. I'm still not very good at the game, so I don't want to be a liability to my team at that bracket, but I'll feel it out. 

If I continue in the Russian line, I can go towards the T-34 or buy a Matilda for $$ on that track; or go towards the KV-1 or buy a Churchill III for $$. Thoughts? I think I'd like to find a "main" to focus on for a while so I can earn credits to spend exploring other trees/countries. I don't mind dropping $11 for the Matilda if it's going to have that much impact on both crew xp and credit generation.

Also, I didn't know about codes available when I started my account. Is there any way to retroactively apply one of the newcomer codes to get some sort of tank/bonus that I missed out on?

Peak_Bagger #12 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 18:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16990 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

I don't think you can use newcomer codes retroactively. You'd need to start again. That's an option, though, 500 games really isn't too far into the game. But you can also get a free tank via Tank Academy:

http://www.wotacademy.com/#/home

Just "enroll" using your WOT account and watch all of the videos in the Boot Camp. Doesn't take too long. Then, in about a week, an M22 Locust will appear in your garage.

In terms of the line to follow, just poke around do what you enjoy. And you can't go wrong with the Russian medium or heavy lines.

Good luck!

TsarCidron #13 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 19:13

Major

• Players
  • 6803 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

Tiers I thru IV are just tiers to get thru.  Crews, perks, etc all begin in earnest at tier V.  Those are your keeper tanks for the most part. Those are the ones that you will spend enough time in to be useful for crew training, outfitting the tank, etc etc.  Sure, there may be the occasional exception at I thru IV (Matilda, Pz1c, for example) .  V and up is where money and real experience start to kick in.

Your doing it right (to be aware of an upcoming grind).  You however, are doing it to early (in < tier V)  where it wont produce the results in a timely fashion due to general lack of experience vs the total experience needed

Jhuderis #14 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 19:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3225 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I'll check out the academy, thanks Peak_Bagger!

Noted Tsar, I'll work my way up to V. :)

dunniteowl #15 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 20:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 23886 battles

Hello and welcome to the madness that is World of Tanks!

As a sort of 'contrarian' on training, I maintain that the mechanics of the game are learnable and usable at ALL TIERS.  That being said, the time it takes to grind through the first three tiers of vehicles is semi-purposeful, in that each tier is a bit more than the last tier in a logarithmic scale that gets harder each level.

Hence my semi-sane quips regarding the grind.  You probably will learn the most in tiers IV-VI, though only really due to the grind being so much harder at those tiers than lower ones.  Additionally, many folks, myself included, find that those tiers can be an awful lot of fun more often than not.  I play to play and I play to win when I am playing.  I take my gaming seriously in the same sense that I would take the time to learn the notes on my guitar and the words to the song I'm playing before I would ever get on stage and presume to play with basically no knowledge or training.

Here, New Guy, have this!

It's the WoT Player's Bible and this is your copy!

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki (linked at Vision, though you should read as much of the whole thing as you can stand at a time)

Crew -- Global Wiki  (the only thing that keeps improving in this game [other than YOU] is your Crew; learn to care for and feed them properly)

Each tank, no matter the tier, is going to handle a bit differently.  The more modules you have on them, the more you can customize that tank to specific functional roles -- or you can at least choose between overall pen/alpha vs accuracy on your gun/shell mixes and do your best to find a combo that works for you.  Some tanks are just no fun.  Play through and move on.

I have taken it as a personal challenge to play at least the tanks I already have or had a hundred matches and/or to a 50%+ WR.  I'm struggling on a few of them, to be sure, so there are definitely tanks that are so difference from your comfort zone or style of play that they simply seem awful.  And there are a notable few that are, in fact, awful.  I don't really know which ones they are, but I recall the Valentine AT as being particularly unpleasant, along with the Bison, T1 Cunningham (I hate that thing!) and others just for the sake of saying, after a hundred matches in each of those units, it would be hard to say it didn't measure my overall skill in each unit as a 'marker' of adaptability.

As to that.  Some folks play all manner of tanks -- like me when I can.  I like them all.  I love the challenge of mastering to some degree as many things as I can.  Most folks do the same as I do, though probably out of boredom and looking for that 'sweet spot' of play to tank.  I'm doing it to do it, because I'm sort of strange that way.  It might be that, as a game designer, I look at things differently and so expend enough time on things to have the experience to reflect on them and how to integrate those ideas with others to improve my play.

Other folks -- and I applaud their advice, even if I personally don't follow it -- maintain that you should buckle down and focus on maybe one or two Nation lines and pick one or two Classes only within those lines and play those until you feel you have the basics well in hand.  This is pretty good advice, again, even if I don't personally follow it.  I don't because I have learned that my mind allows me to do this without too much trouble.  I have a nearly photographic memory for anything I am paying attention to or enjoy.

Which is why I have learned a few things that most normal tanking answers do not address.  More on that later if you've any interest.  Meanwhile, as to training and learning, it should be like picking up your units.  Only take on One or Two NEW THINGS ™ at a time and focus on learning them before moving on to a new one.  Make sure you know you learned it by making sure you manage to perform a specific feat through this learning.

Example (not meant to be anything more than illustrating the idea of the training)

You want to learn to Armor Angle.  You read up on armor and penetration rules (mechanics) watch a few tutorial videos and then log in to practice those things.  Get in there and learn to angle. How do you know you did it right?  When you can reliably bounce a shot that you see coming, BECAUSE you know you angled properly to avoid a penetrating hit, you can move on to the next Cool Tactic, Trick or Technique.  Until then, keep playing and stick with it, remembering that you are mostly going to be playing while you train and so your focus might not be too specifically on learning that new trick at any given moment.

So you have to purposely tell yourself to get in there, fight and try to angle while doing so.

End of Example.

Like that.  While you're doing that, you're going to be:

Waiting for your gun to load

Waiting for your Aiming Ring to stop shrinking

Looking at the Mini-map and seeing what's going on in the entire battle

Picking and prioritizing targets and avoiding being shot

Wondering, "Why did I pick this tank again?"

So, it would be no real feat of imagination to think you might forget to armor angle a few times while you're learning in the aforementioned fictional example.  You're going to be busy trying to keep your unit alive while struggling to make the red ones not survive.

You have a lot of good advice on specifics above me.  I am hoping that, along with all this advice, you take the time to read your WoT Player's Bible and Learn How the Game Works -- or how the rules operate.  You can't really play effectively if you don't really know the rules of the game.

Meanwhile, once again, Welcome!

GL, HF & HSYBF

TrevorsT112 #16 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 15:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5116 battles
In the German line, the only option for a premium light tank is at tier III. The next is at tier VIII. Tier VIII is way over my skill level. I can really vouch for the advice of grinding crews at tier V as a benefit, because I have a premium tier V medium and it really does make a difference in credits and xp gained, but I still see a benefit with my light tier III premium. Once you grind the crew up with a couple of skills (I'm almost at 2), the tank shines a lot more and helps improve the credits and xp gained. I just got my first Matery badge playing the T15. Paying for premium time has made the grind a lot easier for me. 

Jhuderis #17 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 00:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3225 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Heya,

I ground my way through the T-80 and got the T-34. Thanks to all the advice I have received, I think I did the right thing in re-training crew members that had perks etc. from other tanks, so I retained all those abilities in the Tier V tank. Nice!

I've been having fun and some success playing the T-34 at Tier 5 (though still lots of games with 0 damage done as I figure out my role) and the T-46 at Tier 3.

I think I'll also work on the American line to try out heavies at some point, but for now I'll focus on these two tanks for a bit.

Again, many thanks for all the helpful advice! I still suck, but I'm having fun and hopefully getting better.

Cheers

Edited by Jhuderis, Jun 13 2018 - 00:09.

Isola_di_Fano #18 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 02:25

Major

• Players
  • 22334 battles

View PostJhuderis, on Jun 12 2018 - 18:02, said:

Heya,

I've been having fun and some success playing the T-34 at Tier 5 (though still lots of games with 0 damage done as I figure out my role) and the T-46 at Tier 3.

Again, many thanks for all the helpful advice! I still suck, but I'm having fun and hopefully getting better.

Cheers

Just be sure to take the 57mm on the 34: monster DPM :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users