I seriously don't know what WG expects of me as a bottom tier heavy.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

FrontenacDuVandoo #41 Posted Jul 07 2018 - 17:38

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8789 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jul 06 2018 - 20:46, said:

Anyone know what was in that post..? Again, just curious.

Since you're so very insistent.

I was actually insulting you for not addressing the original posters' question. Telling someone to play a tier 6 MT when they ask what to do as a tier 5 HT in a -2 matchup is not helpful.

I changed my mind after hitting the post button. I don't see any way to actually delete the post so I went with the edit.

Happy now?

anonym_aTuD26O7NRnh #42 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 17:36

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jun 13 2018 - 09:53, said:

This message is coming from a FTPP who has yet to spend a single unit of Real Money on this game...

Allow me to formally Welcome you to the Madness that is the Personal Computer version of:

World of Tanks!

This was actually pretty good, surprised to see you're a 4k PR player with 20k games. Not an attempt to insult or be sarcastic. You've definitely assimilated good stuff and shared it well.

Trakks #43 Posted Jul 20 2018 - 08:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2748 battles
LoL at complaints about the KV-1S. I thought from the title of the thread that you would be complaining about the B1 or DW2. The KV-1S is pretty good when it's in the top tier of a match. The B1 and DW2 are never good, even when top tier. 

cocobabygirl #44 Posted Jul 20 2018 - 13:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10054 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
I know my two cents probably doesn't matter but funny thing happened last night I was in a Chinese OhNI and near bottom tier with a 28% win chance.  I just took all the great advice that came from my thread on raising my winrate and wow, I finished alive on the winning team and had about 12k damage along with 2 kills.  It just shows you if I can do it anyone can.  I have had my td's and lights constantly in bottom tier but thanks to the help previously (4tankersanddog) enjoy racking up spotting points and staying alive.  Sorry just too happy I was taught something I did not understand for a long time but now I do. :):teethhappy::B:D

Iron_Soul_Stealer #45 Posted Jul 27 2018 - 20:54

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostFrontenacDuVandoo, on Jul 07 2018 - 11:38, said:

I was actually insulting you for not addressing the original posters' question. Telling someone to play a tier 6 MT when they ask what to do as a tier 5 HT in a -2 matchup is not helpful.

I changed my mind after hitting the post button. I don't see any way to actually delete the post so I went with the edit.

Happy now?

Well, thanks for your honesty. However, I still respectfully disagree.

*Sometimes the best advice you can give someone in this game is to politely tell them to "get out of that tank and play something else." Just saying. I've always found that type of advice helpful. Very helpful. And I'm glad I took it on a few occasions. Not sure why you felt the need to insult me over that..? ...but whatever. That's what my ignore list is for. Welcome to my ignore list.

View PostTrakks, on Jul 20 2018 - 02:59, said:

LoL  complaints about the KV-1S.

Yep, I used to have that tank, but WG changed it, and I really didn't like playing it after the change. So I never played it again. True story. I sold it, and I've never looked back.

TLWiz #46 Posted Aug 03 2018 - 00:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 20601 battles
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT

As a bottom tier heavy, supporting the mediums can be a good choice.  I was bottom tier in my Tiger 131 today but it came out OK (top of the team for XP and damage by a large margin). Ammo-racking the T26E5 from the side for a 650 damage death blow was quite fun. 50% crews do make any tank bad. Good luck with the grind. KV-1S with the 122mm derp gun can be fun but you have to play like a medium with the mobility being good and the armor not so much.

Edited by TLWiz, Aug 03 2018 - 00:07.

iAmEbola #47 Posted Aug 20 2018 - 22:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 11578 battles

View PostTrakks, on Jul 20 2018 - 01:59, said:

LoL at complaints about the KV-1S. I thought from the title of the thread that you would be complaining about the B1 or DW2. The KV-1S is pretty good when it's in the top tier of a match. The B1 and DW2 are never good, even when top tier. 

I'm just going to have to disagree with you right here regarding the DW2.  I love that tank.  It is a nice little diamond in need of much polishing and care.  There is nothing wrong with the DW2; only people that haven't learned how to play it.  

oldewolfe #48 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 19:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 18138 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

WG expects Nothing of you as a Bottom Tier Heavy, your Team on the other hand may Overestimate your Tank just BECAUSE it's a Heavy....        

Always go with Plan B as above, Support....     It's not Flashy, it's not Pretty, it may even feel downright Degrading (especially when the Trolls start in on you)....         But you'll need the Support from the guys You yourself are Supporting just as much as they do you....       And it never hurts facing Smaller Guns than the Monster you COULD be Facing going with the Regular Heavy's.....      Basically, as Bottom Tier, you're an Overstuffed Medium with better Armor than Most....

TristanXD6 #49 Posted Aug 22 2018 - 20:49

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14463 battles
  • [NXGEN] NXGEN

Ah, the KV-1S. It turned from being one of my least favorite tanks to being one of if not my overall favorite tank in the game.

As a lot of people have pointed out, you need to use the 122mm and load it primarily with HE. However, I also recommend loading some HEAT rounds, as the 370 alpha that they provide is very useful for crippling most Tier 5 tanks in one shot. My only gripe about doing so is that HEAT ammo is the most unreliable ammo type in the game, and gives a lot of trouble when trying to penetrate heavily sloped armor or spaced armor.

When bottom tier, swap to your HE rounds and just blap any part of an enemy tank that pokes out of cover. Once you fire, back behind cover yourself, as your armor isn't reliable and won't save you against higher tier guns. Do this enough, and you'll soon be dealing your own health in damage during battles.

Also, you earlier mentioned that the T-34-85 is an OP tank. I hate to burst your bubble, but it's not nearly that overpowered. The gun has good pen, but when dealing with heavilty armored targets you still need to aim for weakspots, and your armor is quite thin and is unreliable. Now that being said, I still highly recommend getting the T-34-85, as its still a very good medium tank that sees action in Tier 6 Strongholds quite often (although less often since the T-34-85M was buffed).

Iron_Soul_Stealer #50 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 00:59

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostTristanXD6, on Aug 22 2018 - 14:49, said:

......... the T-34-85 is an OP tank.

^..Yep, you certainly got that part right...:rolleyes:...I love mine.

Spoiler

24cups #51 Posted Oct 09 2018 - 16:08

Major

• Players
  • 23057 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Don't know what WG expects from you but if you are on my team I just hope/expect you do your best.
That's all I want. Don't suicide or quit.

Da_Craw #52 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 20:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 25888 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostNathanX42, on Jun 08 2018 - 22:26, said:

Not enough penetration as a 50% crew stock tank.

Other tanks have more than enough alpha to make my HP pool look like a joke.
Gold rounds overmatching side scraping, what the [edited]is the point?
Not enough view range(or speed for that matter) to go out into the open to scout.

What the hell am I supposed to do? My past 3 games have been nothing but frustration and [edited], yet attempting to justify a 86 penetration gun in a tier 6/7 lobby? Am I just expected to sling gold and consumables like it's not a problem? This is such a joke. I'm so pissed right now

Where is my 122 D-5-2T that I had on XB360 WOT? That at least made it so I can go toe-to-toe and keep up in higher tiered matches.

Stock tanks suck and 50% crews make them worse.  That said, that is where you find yourself.  Outside of battle, obviously pay for at least a 75% crew and use free xp to unlock better modules.  Assuming you cannot or will not do those things and simply must enter battle in a stock KV-1S with a 50% crew, here is the advice:

Stay alive.

Carry a lot of HE.

Follow the top tier heavies or mediums and stay out of their way.  Trail them far enough back where there is cover you can pop out from to shoot whatever they just engaged after it fires.

Aim for drive sprockets to track tanks.

Aim for sides and roofs, even if they are highly angled.  Those are thinly armored and HE won't autobounce like AP. 

If you only have shots at the front of heavily armored tanks, shoot the commander's hatch, the vision ports, driver's hatch or the gun barrel.  You are looking to kill crew and damage modules more than you are trying to do hp damage.

Stay alive.  The threat of your gun is valuable.  Even if you are just sitting behind cover while the top tiers are poking back and forth, you being there has a chilling effect on the red team's willingness to push your teammates.

Don't even think about spotting unless you are the only non-arty left.  Bottom tier with a 50% crew even most arty can out spot you.   

Stay alive.  Let the other tanks get beaten down and thinned out before taking any risks.  Trying to trade with a full hp hull down T29 is madness.  Especially if he has a TD behind him.  Accepting a shot from a one-shot T29 late in the game as you just drive around the cover and shoot his squishy hull to kill him is lovely.  That means you have to wait until your T7s have softened him up and killed that TD behind him, so STAY ALIVE.

Chances are good that somebody will get impatient and try to rush the tanks you are supporting.  They will give you side and rear shots.  Wait on those and don't beat your head against a wall trying to take top tiers on frontally.

Will these tips lead you to victory?  Probably not.  You are in a bottom tier tank with crap modules and [edited]for crew.  You have already hamstrung your team somewhat.  BUT, they will alleviate some of the disadvantage.  Of course, doing these things (minus the HE heavy loadout once you get better guns) will always help when bottom tier.   

Da_Craw #53 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 20:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 25888 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jun 18 2018 - 21:02, said:

Be brief, be clear, be seated. 

*Good writing is clear, deliberate, straight forward, and to the point.

Mediocre writing is vague, overly drawn out, and unnecessarily complicated. {Ahemm, "shin"}

Please try to be good writers. cheers~

Exactly what part of Dunniteowl's post was not clear?  Or deliberate?  Or straightforward and to the point?  He had a lot of different points to get across in answer to what was a complex question.  You on the other hand, offered advice that was completely off the target and did not address the actual question posed by the OP at all.  

Iron_Soul_Stealer #54 Posted Oct 18 2018 - 05:01

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Oct 10 2018 - 14:32, said:

Exactly what part of Dunniteowl's post was not straightforward and to the point?

^...All of it. Like I said...

Next time, shorter.

*Be brief, be clear, be seated.

View Post24cups, on Oct 09 2018 - 10:08, said:

Don't know what WG expects from you but if you are on my team I just hope/expect you do your best.
That's all I want. Don't suicide or quit.

^..Yep. That's all we can hope for.

~Cheers!

dunniteowl #55 Posted Oct 18 2018 - 05:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 22196 battles

I'm sorry ISS, perhaps you should read Reader's Digest for condensed versions of Full Length things.  Of course, you don't get as much out of it, however they are short and to the point.  Sort of like your semi-insulting indication that I wasn't clear or to the point.

I cannot see how any of that you are commenting with regard to could really be any shorter and NOT leave important stuff out for new people LITERALLY ASKING FOR DETAILS.  Oh, did I lose you already?

Was that too long?

OvO

Iron_Soul_Stealer #56 Posted Oct 18 2018 - 05:07

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Oct 10 2018 - 14:19, said:

Stock tanks suck and 50% crews make them worse.  That said, that is where you find yourself.  Outside of battle, obviously pay for at least a 75% crew and use free xp to unlock better modules.  Assuming you cannot or will not do those things and simply must enter battle in a stock KV-1S with a 50% crew, here is the advice:

Stay alive.

Carry a lot of HE.

Follow the top tier heavies or mediums and stay out of their way.  Trail them far enough back where there is cover you can pop out from to shoot whatever they just engaged after it fires.

Aim for drive sprockets to track tanks.

Aim for sides and roofs, even if they are highly angled.  Those are thinly armored and HE won't autobounce like AP. 

If you only have shots at the front of heavily armored tanks, shoot the commander's hatch, the vision ports, driver's hatch or the gun barrel.  You are looking to kill crew and damage modules more than you are trying to do hp damage.

Stay alive.  The threat of your gun is valuable.  Even if you are just sitting behind cover while the top tiers are poking back and forth, you being there has a chilling effect on the red team's willingness to push your teammates.

Don't even think about spotting unless you are the only non-arty left.  Bottom tier with a 50% crew even most arty can out spot you.   

Stay alive.  Let the other tanks get beaten down and thinned out before taking any risks.  Trying to trade with a full hp hull down T29 is madness.  Especially if he has a TD behind him.  Accepting a shot from a one-shot T29 late in the game as you just drive around the cover and shoot his squishy hull to kill him is lovely.  That means you have to wait until your T7s have softened him up and killed that TD behind him, so STAY ALIVE.

Chances are good that somebody will get impatient and try to rush the tanks you are supporting.  They will give you side and rear shots.  Wait on those and don't beat your head against a wall trying to take top tiers on frontally.

Will these tips lead you to victory?  Probably not.  You are in a bottom tier tank with crap modules and [edited]for crew.  You have already hamstrung your team somewhat.  BUT, they will alleviate some of the disadvantage.  Of course, doing these things (minus the HE heavy loadout once you get better guns) will always help when bottom tier.   

^..Again, waaaay too long for an internet-pixel tank-chat forum.

Once more...

*Be brief, be clear, be seated. Thanks.

dunniteowl #57 Posted Oct 18 2018 - 05:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 22196 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Oct 17 2018 - 22:07, said:

Once more...

No, just too long for you.

Don't you have a comic book or something to read?  Oh wait, I forgot!  Comic books have dialogue.  Something you don't do very well.  Never mind.

If you don't have anything positive to add, how about remain silent like you had been for so long?  Or, how about Up Your Game and provide something intelligent to say.

OvO

Iron_Soul_Stealer #58 Posted Oct 18 2018 - 05:47

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostFrontenacDuVandoo, on Jul 07 2018 - 11:38, said:

Happy now?

I still believe I am being genuinely helpful to the OP, as I've played both of those tanks in the past, and I've experienced the consequences of the changes made by WG. So yes, I am happy with my response. And I stand behind my post:

Once again...

*Sometimes the best advice you can give someone in this game is to simply tell them to "GET OUT out of that tank and play something else." Just saying. I've always found that type of advice helpful. Very helpful. And I'm glad I took it on a few occasions.

FrontenacDuVandoo #59 Posted Oct 19 2018 - 04:17

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8789 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Oct 18 2018 - 00:47, said:

I still believe I am being genuinely helpful to the OP, as I've played both of those tanks in the past, and I've experienced the consequences of the changes made by WG. So yes, I am happy with my response. And I stand behind my post:

Once again...

*Sometimes the best advice you can give someone in this game is to simply tell them to "GET OUT out of that tank and play something else." Just saying. I've always found that type of advice helpful. Very helpful. And I'm glad I took it on a few occasions.

Ok. Now I'm curious why you felt the need to reply again to this message.

And didn't you put me on your ignore list?

But in the offchance that you'll read this:

Let's say the OP follows your advice and stops playing Heavies and plays Mediums for a while. What happens when he goes back to playing Heacies?

He'll end up in the exact situation that he was, bottom tier and not knowing what to do.

That's why I feel your advice was useless.

You get better at something by doing the thing. Not by avoiding it.

But then again, you stated that you would avoid me, so there's that.

Edited by FrontenacDuVandoo, Oct 19 2018 - 04:24.

UTurnTerminator #60 Posted Oct 19 2018 - 16:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8954 battles
  • [RGS-V] RGS-V

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Oct 18 2018 - 05:07, said:

Once more...

You would make an exceptional Reddit moderator.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users