I seriously don't know what WG expects of me as a bottom tier heavy.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

_Tsavo_ #21 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 17:14

Major

• Players
  • 40305 battles
Do the silver crews at minimum, 50% crews are garbage 

Aldehyde #22 Posted Jun 11 2018 - 01:40

Private

• -Players-
  • 9408 battles
  • [T5R] T5R
I feel your pain.  On track to tier X is the only reason I'm in the KV-85.  I started from scratch with a 7 day prem account and it's over now.  I'm so frustrated and can't wait to get the next gun.  Just remember you get 1.3x exp if you hit two tanks.

Crypticshock #23 Posted Jun 11 2018 - 20:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17467 battles
  • [TROBS] TROBS
50% are the worse. Get 75%. Also, if you are going up a line with the KV-1 I highly suggest getting 100% crew then have 1 skill at 100% and the 2nd skill at 40% for the next heavy. You can retrain the crew to the next tank at 90% - and if you re-skill the crew - you will end up with 100% crew with 1st skill at 100%. This is the no gold way - unless you want to just play from 90% to 100% crew. You don't want to step in to tier 6 without a 100% crew and at least 1 skill - Since you will see a fair share of tier 8's (mainly premiums) that will have 3+ skills.

GeorgePreddy #24 Posted Jun 11 2018 - 20:46

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

Current tier 5 KV-1S is an average tank once moduled out and when used properly.

vBAddict.net shows its winrate in the top half (#25 out of 54) of all tier 5 tanks and 7th of 11 tier 5 heavies.

BadgerAttitude_3 #25 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 06:59

Private

• -Players-
  • 53 battles
  • [BADG_] BADG_
what they want is for you to spend gold!

dunniteowl #26 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 20410 battles

View PostNathanX42, on Jun 08 2018 - 22:26, said:

Not enough penetration as a 50% crew stock tank.

1]  Never, ever, EVER go with a 50% crew!  A six man crew at 20K each is a mere 120,000 credits for a 75% crew to start.  If you just got a new tank and you don't have enough to train the crew for it to 75% -- you did it WRONG.

Other tanks have more than enough alpha to make my HP pool look like a joke.

2]  The joke is that you can do something, you just don't know how, yet.  It comes with time -- and yes, sometimes, you do have a match where the only logical thought is -- why did MM even put me here?  Is this some sort of 'retribution?'  Take that in stride.

Gold rounds overmatching side scraping, what the [edited]is the point?

3]  This is a problem for some, but you know what?  You are watching the folks who will spend credits faster than they can make them with premium (more expensive) ammo.  The difference in price is NOT WORTH the extra penetration when it values out to XP and Credits gained versus credits spent -- unless you're already good and then, were that true, the gold ammo wouldn't be coming from them, so...

Not enough view range(or speed for that matter) to go out into the open to scout.

4]  First of all, YOU DON'T GO OUT INTO THE OPEN TO SCOUT!!  Ever.  It's not about your speed when you scout.  It's all about positioning and in some cases, just because you're an LT doesn't mean you are a scout.  Not all LTs are scouts and some MEDs make Better Scouts than their for tier LT colleagues. Be aware of the limitations of your crew/unit and their strengths.  Sometimes they are not what they seem.

What the hell am I supposed to do? My past 3 games have been nothing but frustration and [edited], yet attempting to justify a 86 penetration gun in a tier 6/7 lobby? Am I just expected to sling gold and consumables like it's not a problem? This is such a joke. I'm so pissed right now

5]  It's time to take a break.  You are triggered and suffering from what I call, "The Spiral" ™.  The Spiral is the act of being so triggered that you can no longer play in a rational manner.  Like you said, you are so pissed right now.  This means you simply ARE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO FOCUS on having a good time.  So it's time to take a break from playing -- you're not having fun.  This is an important component of play.

Where is my 122 D-5-2T that I had on XB360 WOT? That at least made it so I can go toe-to-toe and keep up in higher tiered matches.

6]  Here is the problem.  You are acting like what you did on a Console System is remotely similar (other than it's the 'same' game) in the way they function, the power and versatility of a PC designed game versus something with a much more limited controller system.  The rules and graphics here are more deeply involved than anything you're going to find on a console for the same type of game.  If this were a shooter, things might be different.  This is NOT a shooter game, even though some heavy shooting is involved.  Your quick trigger finger and fast reaction times will get you smoked here under the right circumstances by someone with more patience and knowledge.

This message is coming from a FTPP who has yet to spend a single unit of Real Money on this game...

Allow me to formally Welcome you to the Madness that is the Personal Computer version of:

World of Tanks!

Here's your "starter package" from OvO.

First, let's get you fitted out proper.  Go to Tank Academyand watch all the videos there during Basic Training.  Yes, yes, yes, I'm sure you 'know' all that stuff.  It's not about what you know, you're here to get a free Tier III premium called the M-22 Locust.  It's worth it.  It's a nice, solid scouting tank, just like you're asking for to have.  It's serviceable, decent speed and mobility, good camo rating and has a decent gun that isn't total crap.

Now, being as you're already here, an invite code is probably pointless.  So what's next, then?  Right.  You need a set of rules and mechanics, as well as a good deal of information on how to tank with your crew at their proper places.  So here is your copy of what I like to call, "The WoT Player's Bible."  In these two links you will find all the information you really need to understand why the console is different from the PC version.

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki (linked to Vision, though you should read all of it above and below at some point in time)

Crew -- Global Wiki (the only thing that improves continuously (other than YOU) is your Crew -- learn their proper care and feeding here)

Read these and learn them and you will improve.

Now, as I'm a bit of a 'contrarian' in my view of the game vis-a-vis what tier you 'start to learn' the game.  This is pure poppycock that it 'starts at tier V' or that it starts at Tier VII or what-have-you.  The Game Mechanics Work the SAME from Tier I to Tier X.  You can start learning to play better at any tier and in any unit.  If you 'suck' or 'rule' it doesn't matter.  If you didn't know the rules before, you will simply start to play better once you know them and understand them.  Period.

Beyond that, you need a little list that helps you prioritize what you should be doing during a match.  I call it "The Mantra."  It is developed from the incredible wisdom that I have found in these very forums from my Fellow Gamers Who Play Well.  I have also many decades of overall game design and gaming experience that I believe has stood me in good stead in making high scores amongst all manner of games through the years.  I'm not a master of any particular game, but I have been able to hold my own in all but sports games, which I hate playing in video form.

This is not a brag.  It's to allow you to understand that my knowledge and experience are different from many.  Which is why I come at gaming from a slightly different angle than most.  Which is why The Mantra.

The Mantra

Survive (if you do not survive, you cannot)

Do Damage (if you can't/don't do damage you must find another way)

Help Your Team (if you can't/won't do this, you will have a harder time to)

Win (which is never guaranteed)

No matter what's going on, this Mantra will tell you what your priorities are.  They are IN ORDER.  You take a shot and don't spot your opponent, GET COVER, because Number One: Survive.  If you don't survive you can't do the Number Two: Do Damage.  See how that works?  If you are alive and you can't do damage, then you have to find some other way to do Number Three: Help Your Team.  If you can't do damage and you can't hurt them, then you must be spotting, moving, harassing and harrying your opponents.

If you cannot harm them, then you must distract them.  It's doable.  You can aim for tracks, you can spot for arty and other nearby close support units.  If nothing else, lead them on a merry chase that allows them to avoid capping, killing you and focusing on other units that CAN do damage.  These are ways to Help Your Team.  It's not comprehensive, though The Mantra can at least point you in the right direction as to what to do in that moment.

These things combined with ONE MORE ITEM for you especially, because you are triggered and this is correctable as well with efforts that don't have to include walking away mad and frustrated.  When you are starting to spiral, you start to find things to blame.  This blame is the first sign that you are being triggered.  If you realize that you are starting to Blame ANYTHING, then you need to pull yourself out of the opening of the Spiral.  If you can do this, you can continue to game with logic, focus and rational thought.  I call this a Mantra also, though this one is called:

Stop That

Stop that. (tells you to stop blaming whatever it is you're blaming)

You don't have time for that. (let's you know you're thinking in the wrong direction)

Focus.  (tells you to get back on track and play instead)

I call Blame the Trifecta Thief of Success.  It steals your attention, because while you're busy blaming you're not focused on playing your best.  It steals your drive, because as long as you can blame something or someone for what's going wrong, you are providing yourself a "get out of effort for Free" card.  After all, if something else is at fault, you have no reason to try to overcome, it's beyond your control, so no more effort on your part is necessary.  Lastly, it steals your joy.  If you are busy blaming something or someone, then you are definitely NOT having fun.  You can choose to have fun, although you simply have to let go of any blame.  No game mechanics, no Seal Clubber, no Gold Rounds, no Stat Padder or any other thing you can point a finger at and lay blame to.  The moment you start blaming the game, players or something else that takes you away from having a good time, you can use Stop That to pull your head back into the game.

If you can truly use this for a while, you will find your gaming experience much more fun.  I have been using it since I almost QUIT in frustration, because this game is freaking HARD.  When I figured this out, I was a steady 48.23% player at 6687 matches.  Now I can hold my own most times and am running at a relatively steady 53% or so.  The only real difference is I learned to stop blaming other things in the game for my performance.

Look, you know how hard things can be, you're already frustrated.  I have (as have many others) been there, my friend.  The difference is that I have learned to not allow that to affect my gaming negatively.

Since I learned to do this I have had:

More Wins

Better Stats

More FUN!  (most important part)

So there you have it, the Welcome Package by OvO.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 13 2018 - 16:03.

FrontenacDuVandoo #27 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 18:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6759 battles
**post deleted**

Edited by FrontenacDuVandoo, Jun 13 2018 - 18:17.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #28 Posted Jun 18 2018 - 02:27

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostFrontenacDuVandoo, on Jun 13 2018 - 12:12, said:

**post deleted**

^..why..?

Iron_Soul_Stealer #29 Posted Jun 18 2018 - 02:29

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jun 13 2018 - 09:53, said:

This message is coming from a FTPP who has yet to spend a single unit of Real Money on this game...

^...Next time, shorter. Please.

Not_Connery #30 Posted Jun 18 2018 - 05:48

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6115 battles
  • [BTBG] BTBG

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jun 18 2018 - 02:29, said:

Dude, have you never read a dunniteowl post before? :teethhappy:

The guy can be verbose, but he is really optimistic and helpful; it's worth reading through when he posts advice. :great:

dunniteowl #31 Posted Jun 18 2018 - 21:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 20410 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on Jun 17 2018 - 19:29, said:

If you don't have time to learn, you don't have time to comment.   You get the WHOLE package or nothing, my friend.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #32 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 04:02

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jun 18 2018 - 15:44, said:

If you don't have time to learn, you don't have time to comment.   You get the WHOLE package or nothing, my friend.

Be brief, be clear, be seated. 

View PostNot_Connery, on Jun 17 2018 - 23:48, said:

Dude, have you never read a dunniteowl post before? :teethhappy:

The guy can be verbose, but he is really optimistic and helpful; it's worth reading through when he posts advice. :great:

*Good writing is clear, deliberate, straight forward, and to the point.

Mediocre writing is vague, overly drawn out, and unnecessarily complicated. {Ahemm, "shin"}

Please try to be good writers. cheers~

dunniteowl #33 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 02:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 20410 battles

I think my writing is clear.  Very clear in fact, ISS.  The difference is YOU conflate concision with precision and such is simply not the case.  Sometimes, especially when people are ASKING FOR HELP and NEED TO KNOW NEW THINGS, you HAVE to EXPLAIN it more fully.

Savvy?

That concise and precise enough for you?

That help?

OvO (shakes head sadly at some folks)

TRK213_Turkey #34 Posted Jun 21 2018 - 16:30

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6292 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
No Mr, Bond.  I expect you to die! 

Springfield_Fats #35 Posted Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10246 battles
They expect you to pay money to buy premium tanks that perform better than tech tree ones.

Not_Connery #36 Posted Yesterday, 03:03 PM

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6115 battles
  • [BTBG] BTBG

View PostTRK213_Turkey, on Jun 21 2018 - 16:30, said:

No Mr, Bond.  I expect you to die! 

Already made that joke, my dude. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users