• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 02:45

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13235 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hey Tankers,

Apart from the current issues, I have returned from my trip to Europe and Map Mondays is back on schedule! In glorious 4K resolution. The screenshots are rather large, so I apologize for the sizeable downloads but these should be easier to read than their 1080p counterparts.
Previous Map Mondays guide: Frontline - Road to Glory
Map Mondays Master List

This week's map is Mines!

Fire up the video for a scenic tour of the Balkan countryside, and channel your inner Slav while listening to this majestic orchestral score while you read along below.

Special shoutout to Cajun_ for the stratsketch maps and the following notes:

STRATEGY
FIRING LANES

Mines is a North-South map, with the typical split of positioning orienting itself diagonally, more of the western flank being accessible to the North and more of the Eastern town being accessible to the South. Typically featuring an explosive start, a bit of a lull towards the middle of the battle with poking and prodding to control the central hill.

The West Flank:
This flank offers a bit more cover and safe sniping positions for the North-spawning team; a bold push by this team can allow lights and fast mediums to take advantageous sniping positions and land shells in the rear and sides of enemy heavies pushing middle, through some gaps in the rocks. Both teams on this flank must be hyper-aware of hidden TD's lurking near spawn, as one can quickly find their hitpoints reduced to nothing, sometimes in a split-second. It is important to ensure coverage of this flank without over-committing resources that would better be utilized elsewhere. If you are finding yourself waiting for half your team to get wiped out before firing at anything from this flank, consider relocating early next time.

EXPAND:

The Middle Flank:
I'm inclined to agree with Cajun_'s assessment: The middle flank is one of the most important on this map, and it often makes or breaks the game for either team. Control of this zone is vital in the early game: If you have the mobility, plan to either rush up the hill or rush up to just before the middle rock near the hill. You will have the opportunity to tag some enemies in the flank while they rush up to the top - and often a well-placed track shot will result in a completely-melted enemy health bar before they can get their tracks back up and resume their climb. Heavies should plan to stick around and play some peek-a-boo with the enemy heavies and medium on the hill, if they are not committing to one of the other heavy tank hotspots such as the Northeast corner.

EXPAND:

The East Flank:

The East Flank Typically consists of brawling in/around the town in the Northeast corner. Your heavies will tend to go to the corner of the hill/castle, where the rocks and an abandoned portion of the castle offer opportunities for sidescraping and hulldown play. The town, despite its ample buildings, is surprisingly vulnerable to crossfire. Both teams, if choosing to enter the town, will approach from a direction that is as far as possible from the enemy position. Teams spawning in the North tend to go around the Northernmost side of the city, or sit in the natural depression directly to the West of town. Vehicles with strong turrets and decent gun depression can utilize this as a defensive foothold and support any vehicles that choose to brawl directly around the corner instead. On the other hand, the Southern team has to traverse an arguably more dangerous approach to town, typically hanging as far East as possible and keeping any potential hard cover between the enemy spawn (and the hill) as sparse as it may be. Once in town, the Southern team will need to be aware of TD support from the Northern spawn, as well as supporting fire from the hill right next to them, if the North team won the hill push. If you spawned in the South, keep an eye on your map, and consider relocating sooner than later if you get pinched around the Northeast corner.

EXPAND

FROM THE COMMUNITY:

EXPAND:

Anyway, that's about all I have for Mines. I know this map can be quite confusing for some players, as I definitely struggle with it myself. Hopefully you found something up here helpful, and hopefully a bit of light reading is a nice break for everyone being affected by the ongoing server issues. Fingers crossed that hopefully we're getting close to a solution, and our hamsterwheels will all start turning again soon. Slowpoke.jpg but server issues are all resolved!

As a friendly reminder, we have some changes for Mines (and Glacier!) currently being tested. Please check out the forum thread, and make sure to leave some feedback about what you think of the new versions!

Edited by DomoSapien, Jun 15 2018 - 18:00.

SKurj #2 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 02:46

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11996 battles

boohh get rid of it

or at least limit it to tier 5 and under

North team has the advantage rushing the hill.. then due to spotting range of high tier vehicles can pretty much spot the entire southern team.

West flank is usually a stalemate, with neither team able to completely ignore it and any resources committed to it usually end up not so productive.

Edited by SKurj, Jun 12 2018 - 02:51.

TommyBuns #3 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 02:48

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7239 battles
Hey Domo, has Wargaming ever had a map designing contest for WOT? If not, has it ever been considered? Reason I ask, is take Fallout 4 for example the amount of user generated content is absolutely incredible and really added a lot to the original game.

ZzimonZzL #4 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 03:00

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21870 battles
  • [SNACH] SNACH

View PostTommyBuns, on Jun 12 2018 - 02:48, said:

Hey Domo, has Wargaming ever had a map designing contest for WOT? If not, has it ever been considered? Reason I ask, is take Fallout 4 for example the amount of user generated content is absolutely incredible and really added a lot to the original game.

+1

pickpocket293 #5 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 03:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 26200 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP
The map is too small, especially for tier 10 games. 

LOL_i_CLICKED_u #6 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 03:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26649 battles

Should have named this Map Mondays: Garage

Because that's the map everybody is playing today.

thrashmaniac999 #7 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 03:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11594 battles
  • [PROF] PROF

View PostLOL_i_CLICKED_u, on Jun 12 2018 - 03:04, said:

Should have named this Map Mondays: Garage

Because that's the map everybody is playing today.

Swell_Sell #8 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 03:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 24100 battles
  • [AJ] AJ

I like the idea of Map Mondays. Good on WGNA for making the extra effort.

That being said, Mines is too small and is pretty imbalanced on Encounter. Definitely a map I'd like WG to rework.

THE_GOONS_R_COMMING_RUNN #9 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 03:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1099 battles
  • [1V1ME] 1V1ME
Moderated by Volier_Zcit

Edited by Volier_Zcit, Jun 12 2018 - 06:14.

Armadaus_Baldwin #10 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 03:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32771 battles
  • [FATE] FATE

View PostTHE_GOONS_R_COMMING_RUNN, on Jun 12 2018 - 02:19, said:

Moderated by Volier_Zcit

Because none of the WG-NA staff are actually good at Tanks?  

Edited by Volier_Zcit, Jun 12 2018 - 06:14.

THE_GOONS_R_COMMING_RUNN #11 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 03:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1099 battles
  • [1V1ME] 1V1ME
Moderated by Volier_Zcit 

Edited by Volier_Zcit, Jun 12 2018 - 06:15.

Gravtech #12 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 04:00

Major

• Players
  • 28559 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

View PostTHE_GOONS_R_COMMING_RUNN, on Jun 11 2018 - 19:58, said:

Moderated by Volier_Zcit 

Domo isn't the guy who is giving the notes, if you have any ability to actually read, the stratsketch and notes come from the player Cajun_

Since you're oh so needy for stat comparison here's his stats http://wotlabs.net/na/player/Cajun_

Edited by Volier_Zcit, Jun 12 2018 - 06:15.

THE_GOONS_R_COMMING_RUNN #13 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 04:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1099 battles
  • [1V1ME] 1V1ME
Moderated by Volier_Zcit

Edited by Volier_Zcit, Jun 12 2018 - 06:16.

pickpocket293 #14 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 04:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 26200 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

View PostTHE_GOONS_R_COMMING_RUNN, on Jun 11 2018 - 18:58, said:

Moderated by Volier_Zcit 

Why are you yelling?

Edited by Volier_Zcit, Jun 12 2018 - 06:16.

Not_Connery #15 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 07:31

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6086 battles
  • [BTBG] BTBG

View Postpickpocket293, on Jun 12 2018 - 04:08, said:

Why are you yelling?

Well, I mean, look at what his clan name is, then look at who his avatar pic is of.  Something tells me this particular individual is not one for subtlety...

Guido1212 #16 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 13:49

Major

• Players
  • 75583 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
I liked Cajuns comment that the hill can be taken if “done right”.  I understand his point but it’s not about done right.  It’s just about who pushes the most the fastest.  You could say that’s the done right part, but it’s really just a ridiculous rush where you hope you aren’t the one focused and that your team brought more to shot the poor idiots trying to get up there in the side.  The hill needs 2 access points because it’s just terrible gameplay design to have to rush an overpowered position and either die in 45 seconds or gain a massive advantage.  Too much is riding on that one move.

YANKEE137 #17 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 13:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 9113 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

Mines loses fun at higher tiers. Playing tens with 3 arties each side is complete heartburn. I'd like to see it stretched out on both axis.

ThePigSheFlies #18 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 14:33

Major

• Players
  • 62426 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

mines summed up:

another tiny, unimaginative map that has had no meaningful changes in 8 years other than the removal of mountain goating.  

you guys no doubt are still collecting feedback and statistics about front line.  credits, no tier 10s, bonds, special camo's whoooo.  know what the best thing about front line was?  a reprieve from ancient, tiny, crappy, funnel maps.  like mines, ensk, ruinberg, province, himmels and countless other trashy tiny maps.

DomoSapien #19 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 15:41

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13235 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostArmadaus_Baldwin, on Jun 11 2018 - 20:49, said:

Because none of the WG-NA staff are actually good at Tanks?  

Well, there's _Irony_who was my team captain for the company-wide internal 3v3 tournament a couple years ago. I'd say he's pretty good. Thanks to him we went to Cyprus for the finals; he also won the 1v1 tournament last year and was on the Wargaming team at Tokyo Game Show :)

View PostTommyBuns, on Jun 11 2018 - 19:48, said:

Well, I wouldn't say Fallout 4 is the best example because Fallout games have always relied in part on their thriving mod community. I actually just started re-playing FO4 because of the FO76 announcement, and running it with mods this time around has definitely made it much more enjoyable. I have a foliage mod installed that makes the wasteland look beautiful and lush instead of barren; highly recommend.

I digress, though. To my knowledge we have not had a map design contest, and as much as I would absolutely love to have one that would be something that would need to be a cross-regional initiative, if it were tied to any promises of potential implementation. I'd hate for someone to put in a bunch of work designing a map, only to never see it implemented. 

I am indeed quite happy to bring it up with the team, as I personally would love to see more user-generated content implemented in the game client. The closest thing to that we've done so far would probably be the SPG view that we eventually adopted into the game client (press G to change view in artillery mode) which was originally the winning entry in a community mod contest. 

View PostTHE_GOONS_R_COMMING_RUNN, on Jun 11 2018 - 20:19, said:

Moderated by Volier_Zcit

I actually have mixed feelings about this being moderated because although it was definitely non-constructive, I was hoping to respond to it. The reason a 1500 recent WN8 employee is giving you strategies for the game is that these strategies are directed primarily at new or returning players that haven't played the game in quite some time. The maps were re-worked in HD and there are some small differences between the old and new versions.

If you'd like to hop on your main and platoon with me, maybe I'll finally git gud so my WN8 is higher than 1500?

_____

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Make sure to check out the Supertest thread for Mines & Glacier! I'm happy to forward any feedback from this thread but the best place to get the most visibility on your suggestions will be the dedicated thread.

xtc4 #20 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 15:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23505 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

Thanks, Domo. This may be the best guide yet. I'd only emphasize that, from the South, the C9 flanking position seems underused. It gives the South a useful position to shoot flanks and rears, just like the North has Island. In fact, I would argue that C9 for South is a more reliable position than Island for North. C9 is rarely contested, and you can get there pretty safely at the beginning of the match if you have even mediocre speed. But players are well-aware of the Island flanking position, and you generally have a difficult fight to even get there.

Also, from the north, I like getting tucked into that pocket at E4 and shooting towards the brawl and hill. It is especially dominant in a lower- or mid-tier battle, where the players aren't as aware. You are basically helping the hill brawl, but without the all-or-nothing risk of an immediate rush.

Edited by xtc4, Jun 12 2018 - 15:56.

Also tagged with Map Mondays, Map guide, Mines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users