(Crew) Skill-based MM

Matchmaking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Matchmaking Options (21 members have cast votes)

Pick your poison. Vote *AFTER* reading, please. If you have an alternative, list it in your post in *BOLD* on a single line of its own.

1. The current matchmaking with 3/5/7 and the tweaks WG have stated are in the works for preferential tanks. (13 votes [61.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

2. Player skill-based MM. (WN8, Personal Rating, etc.) Unchanged pref MM. (5 votes [23.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

3. CREW Skill/perk-based MM. Unchanged pref MM. (3 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Pupsrus13 #1 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 18:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6220 battles

No, this isn't a joke, hear me out....

Rather than adjust matchmaking based on *player* skill, why not adjust it based on the average amount of *crew* skills their tank has?

This has a twofold effect:

1. People with more crew skills are typically running high-tier tanks and the grand majority are better at playing the game. Basically, you'll see a lot more unicums fighting unicums rather than having the typical "Enemy has two greens and a blue while we have a yellow and a green. [edited], gg no re, MM." At the very least, balance the 3/5/7 sections in this way.

2. You'll see a lot less sealclubbing because in order to stomp on lower tiered tanks, you'll have to have a dedicated "low-perk" crew or suck it up and fight other sealclubbers.

Now, I get that it's not fully fleshed-out but I feel that it could work, at least for helping fix the tier 8 matchmaking now that Frontline is shut down. And, obviously, some tanks need some perks to really be functional or 'broken', thus each fully-trained perk/skill would have different weights like the 'tank weight factor' that everyone goes on and on about. (It's BS, really, who in their right mind thinks a VK 45.02 A is an equivalent to an O-Ho?)

WG could (at their discretion) include a toggle to turn off certain perks (like Preventative Maintenance) to give a small boost to silver and credits earned, maybe. Suddenly challenge runs are a more attractive option, eh? Plus you'd have a reason to train said skills (or for those that are really loaded with free exp, dump some on it?)

But anyway, it's just an interesting thought I had at work the other day and I felt like running with it.

-Squeaky

Edited by Pupsrus13, Jun 12 2018 - 19:11.

__WarChild__ #2 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 18:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 19413 battles
Please do not try to interject logic and reasoning into the MM discussion.  Most people are okay with 3-5-7 and completely fine with +/-2 and uneven teams.  Trying to talk about having a chance to win every game based upon your own skill is considered "crazy talk" here and you will be chastised unmercifully and/or receive Warning Points from WG.  Beware! :ohmy:

Pupsrus13 #3 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 19:04

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6220 battles

Most people are only okay with the matchmaking, because they don't know anything else and have no other options, though.

Plus, WG could easily monetize several parts of this, and will earn profit regardless.

1. Again, the majority of people with a lot of perks have many more games under their belt and are typically much better at the game, unbalancing the matchmaking. Any outliers with a lot of perks have been playing the same tank almost *exclusively*. I saw a guy one time with like 10k games in the BT-2 and no other tanks played.

2. Tweaking the matchmaking like this will encourage said 'outliers' to get other tanks, encouraging them to buy camo, equipment, and other goodies for it.

And the main reason I think WG has had trouble balancing some tanks after so many years, is because the matchmaking is still horrendously unbalanced. Fix that, and when everything evens out somewhat, they can more efficiently pinpoint exactly what is causing issues without having to sift through the ever-growing wave of screams including "gold spam" and "arty OP" and "Type 4/5 Heavy still too powerful pls nerf". Granted, they might be problems right now, but the matchmaking is still the main issue here.

JakeTheMystic #4 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 19:05

Captain

• Players
  • 21281 battles
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS

Poll really needs a fourth option.

I think 3/5/7 is fine, but the pref MM changes are uncalled for.

If they are really desperate for change, they need to change the priority of MM to fill single-tier MM first, which quite a few people have already stated before...

__WarChild__ #5 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 19:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 19413 battles
Well, I personally think most people are okay with the Matchmaking is because they're delusional.  :amazed:

Pupsrus13 #6 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 19:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6220 battles
Tweaked the poll a little bit to clarify.

ArmorStorm #7 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 19:14

Major

• Players
  • 35155 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View PostPupsrus13, on Jun 12 2018 - 11:52, said:

No, this isn't a joke, hear me out....

Rather than adjust matchmaking based on *player* skill, why not adjust it based on the average amount of *crew* skills their tank has?

This has a twofold effect:

1. People with more crew skills are typically running high-tier tanks and the grand majority are better at playing the game. Basically, you'll see a lot more unicums fighting unicums rather than having the typical "Enemy has two greens and a blue while we have a yellow and a green. [edited], gg no re, MM." At the very least, balance the 3/5/7 sections in this way.

2. You'll see a lot less sealclubbing because in order to stomp on lower tiered tanks, you'll have to have a dedicated "low-perk" crew or suck it up and fight other sealclubbers.

Now, I get that it's not fully fleshed-out but I feel that it could work, at least for helping fix the tier 8 matchmaking now that Frontline is shut down. And, obviously, some tanks need some perks to really be functional or 'broken', thus each fully-trained perk/skill would have different weights like the 'tank weight factor' that everyone goes on and on about. (It's BS, really, who in their right mind thinks a VK 45.02 A is an equivalent to an O-Ho?)

WG could (at their discretion) include a toggle to turn off certain perks (like Preventative Maintenance) to give a small boost to silver and credits earned, maybe. Suddenly challenge runs are a more attractive option, eh? Plus you'd have a reason to train said skills (or for those that are really loaded with free exp, dump some on it?)

But anyway, it's just an interesting thought I had at work the other day and I felt like running with it.

-Squeaky

I don't agree with your premise.  

1. High number of skills come from large numbers of battles, guys who bot and play at 44% can accumulate enough battles to have 5 skill crews.

2. On the other side of it, good players with 75% crews will beat poor players with 5 skills easily enough.  They are patient, know the maps and mechanics.

I will give you props for out of the box thinking though.  Have a great day!

An_old_slow_guy #8 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 19:20

Captain

• Players
  • 57905 battles
  • [ELVIS] ELVIS
Player skill based MM is like the holy grail of a team based multi-player game, but it will never happen, so likewise the crew skill based MM.  It is seemingly tough enough for WG to balance teams by tank type and tier.  There would also be an immediate uproar from unicums if they had to play each other all the time and watch their stats level off and drop.  As most unicums already have highly trained crews you are really talking about the same thing when you try to differentiate between player skill and crew skill.  Sure a unicum would probably play a low skilled crew more efficiently, but they also know the value of training that crew rapidly. 

nasfan #9 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 19:41

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 24172 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

So, again, here we are with more suggestions to make the game easier.  OP, I went through the same process you're going through, and got the crap kicked out of me a LOT.  So, you know what I did?  I improved.

There is a certain sense of satisfaction to be gained when you become proficient at something that is difficult and challenging.  Try it.

If a 50-old-year, full-time job having, part-time casual player like me can do it, then so can you.

Edited by nasfan, Jun 12 2018 - 20:21.

nasfan #10 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 19:45

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 24172 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

View PostAn_old_slow_guy, on Jun 12 2018 - 12:20, said:

Player skill based MM is like the holy grail of a team based multi-player game, but it will never happen, so likewise the crew skill based MM.  It is seemingly tough enough for WG to balance teams by tank type and tier.  There would also be an immediate uproar from unicums if they had to play each other all the time and watch their stats level off and drop.  As most unicums already have highly trained crews you are really talking about the same thing when you try to differentiate between player skill and crew skill.  Sure a unicum would probably play a low skilled crew more efficiently, but they also know the value of training that crew rapidly. 

​You've played 56k+ games.  You should have all kinds of highly skilled crews by now.  Maybe you should play with the unicums.

Also tagged with Matchmaking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users