Staff Communication During Server Issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

xXTheGameAceXx #1 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:22

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9050 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX

So I know this probably won't be noticed by the WG staff, or this has possibly been brought up before, but I was noticing during the apocalypse yesterday (June 11th) where everyone died from not being able to play tanks for a full day, is that people seemed rather frustrated about not knowing what's going on outside of occasional minor updates from staff. I was thinking a plausible solution to alleviate this (and maybe even some of the crazed forums rage) could be some improved communication between the Wargaming staff and players, both on the forums and in-game.

In-game, perhaps an announcement could be put out in the general chat as needed (if the servers are at least online, of course) to keep players there informed. On the forums, perhaps a thread could be started by staff detailing the issue, what they're trying to do, likely compensation (because people are greedy enough that it's all they can think about), and an ETA, and then perhaps give an update every hour or so to keep players in the loop.

Might be a stupid idea, but it was just a random thought that I figured I might as well toss out there and see what people think.

Bsan77 #2 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:26

Captain

• Players
  • 13519 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View PostxXTheGameAceXx, on Jun 12 2018 - 16:22, said:

On the forums, perhaps a thread could be started by staff detailing the issue, what they're trying to do, likely compensation (because people are greedy enough that it's all they can think about), and an ETA, and then perhaps give an update every hour or so to keep players in the loop.

Wow great idea, it's almost like that's pretty much what they did. :thinking_face:

xXTheGameAceXx #3 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:28

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9050 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX

View PostBsan77, on Jun 12 2018 - 17:26, said:

Wow great idea, it's almost like that's pretty much what they did. :thinking_face:

Actually what they did was take someone's original thread complaining about the issue, rename and pin it, and then add in everyone else's new threads created on the issue into that main one, while giving some occasional updates of varying degree. I'm talking about a staff generated thread that goes into matters in detail right from the start to hopefully reduce a lot of the raging and spam from whining players.

Edited by xXTheGameAceXx, Jun 12 2018 - 23:29.

Buttknuckle #4 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:31

Major

• Players
  • 44679 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

They pretty much did those things. There was/is a forum mega thread and when I started the game there was a notification in the launcher.

As far as I know they didnt post anything in general chat, but that would be a waste anyway. They would have to spam the announcement to keep it visible in the 8 lines of text that are displayed, and no one looks a general chat because it is generally a cesspool of drivel.   

riff_ #5 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:32

Major

• Players
  • 26730 battles

I believe WG did post something in the News section that the server was having problems.  But since then WG removed it.

I know I had a few threads about it on the forum. :)

Edited by riff_, Jun 12 2018 - 23:33.

xXTheGameAceXx #6 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:34

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9050 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX

View PostButtknuckle, on Jun 12 2018 - 17:31, said:

They pretty much did those things. There was/is a forum mega thread and when I started the game there was a notification in the launcher.

As far as I know they didnt post anything in general chat, but that would be a waste anyway. They would have to spam the announcement to keep it visible in the 8 lines of text that are displayed, and no one looks a general chat because it is generally a cesspool of drivel.   

I know, and maybe I'm not presenting well, but I was just thinking in my mind a bit of a more clarified and concise style that could help with things a bit. Didn't actually know about the notification though. Never got one myself.

Mentioned general chat since it'd stand to reason that not everyone there uses the forums or will relay forums information. Again though, just essentially spitballing some ideas I was just thinking of. Already figured it wouldn't sound too good, but felt like it couldn't hurt to make mention nonetheless.

Gunadie #7 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:37

Major

• Players
  • 39722 battles

As the Moderators and many staff are not playing the game when it happened, they responded and advised the clientele that they were aware of the issue and were working on it.

Really what more can you expect?

Sht happens and all you are doing is complaining for the most part, WG does their best to respond and resolve issues with the game play as soon as they can

because if they dont they have to listen to complaints such as yours.

Stop griping and go take a Midol  (maybe an extra-strength one at that)

xXTheGameAceXx #8 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:40

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9050 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX

View PostGunadie, on Jun 12 2018 - 17:37, said:

As the Moderators and many staff are not playing the game when it happened, they responded and advised the clientele that they were aware of the issue and were working on it.

Really what more can you expect?

Sht happens and all you are doing is complaining for the most part, WG does their best to respond and resolve issues with the game play as soon as they can

because if they dont they have to listen to complaints such as yours.

Stop griping and go take a Midol  (maybe an extra-strength one at that)

I agree with you. I personally don't have any problems with the situation, or even them taking a day to get things right. I'm just going on some observations of what was going on the whole time, since I spent most of the time watching the forums or talking with my clan mates, and watched the madness unfold.

Buttknuckle #9 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:41

Major

• Players
  • 44679 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
Not knocking the idea of open communication OP. But from my persepctive WG did a pretty good job letting people know what was going on, at least by the time I had logged on yesterday. Compared to some historic incidents, they were all over this one.

xXTheGameAceXx #10 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:43

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9050 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX

View PostButtknuckle, on Jun 12 2018 - 17:41, said:

Not knocking the idea of open communication OP. But from my persepctive WG did a pretty good job letting people know what was going on, at least by the time I had logged on yesterday. Compared to some historic incidents, they were all over this one.

Definitely was better than some past situations. I was on pretty early, so I may have seen more, but it did take a while before things really got rolling. Once things did though, they definitely stepped up their efforts and started becoming a good deal more responsive, including in acknowledging the issue.

Bsan77 #11 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:44

Captain

• Players
  • 13519 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View PostxXTheGameAceXx, on Jun 12 2018 - 16:28, said:

Actually what they did was take someone's original thread complaining about the issue, rename and pin it, and then add in everyone else's new threads created on the issue into that main one, while giving some occasional updates of varying degree. I'm talking about a staff generated thread that goes into matters in detail right from the start to hopefully reduce a lot of the raging and spam from whining players.

They did that to reduce clutter on the forums and it had no negative effect because they still commented on the mega-thread so it was still highly visible. They didn't tell us immediately what was wrong because they didn't know what was wrong. Most of the forum mods are PR and community relations staff, not actual server maintenance staff so they could only tell us what they knew. You can't go into detail when you don't know what's going on. I think they did a fantastic job of recognizing the problem and telling people that they were fixing it. Can't ask much more from the PR guys.

charleszarkley1995 #12 Posted Jun 12 2018 - 23:55

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8654 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
"Scheduled maintenance" chuckle chuckle chuckle

riff_ #13 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 00:06

Major

• Players
  • 26730 battles

View PostButtknuckle, on Jun 12 2018 - 17:41, said:

Well said.

__Worm__ #14 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 00:16

Major

• Players
  • 30990 battles

every time a bell rings a forum MOD posts there is a section right on the forums recent posts that highlights what the MODS are posting at that time.

pretty easy considering they were all over this as stated above and there were plenty of recent post updates in that section....

Blucraft #15 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 01:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8285 battles

OP, they were pretty much ahead of the curve with this issue.  Cut them a bit of slack...fortunately the server doesn't crash this badly very often.

-Blu

xXTheGameAceXx #16 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 02:35

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9050 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX

View PostBlucraft, on Jun 12 2018 - 19:48, said:

OP, they were pretty much ahead of the curve with this issue.  Cut them a bit of slack...fortunately the server doesn't crash this badly very often.

-Blu

Not trying to attack them or say they did poorly. Was just making some observations based on other player reactions, that I felt could perhaps smooth things out a tad in the future to reduce some of the raging and such. Considering all that happened, I do think they handled it rather well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users