How many tank crews?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

TrevorsT112 #1 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 14:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2631 battles
  • [M-I-T] M-I-T
How many tank crews are most here keeping? It seems like a lot of people move their crews between tanks after grinding up the skill/perks. Do most keep one high level skill/perk crew for each class of tank, or one for each tank. Just wondering since grinding past 3 skills/perks takes such a huge commitment.

flaviosquilla #2 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 14:37

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33207 battles
  • [DYNO] DYNO
I have 1 per line, with minor exceptions (tanks I really liked and kept). In those exceptions, I put the most experienced crew in the higher tier tank usually

Altwar #3 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 14:43

Major

• Players
  • 53986 battles
  • [A-F] A-F

I've always moved my crews up the tech tree lines with the idea that my top tanks would possess my top crews.

My main target is to have a crew for each tech line, so I have quite a few crews just from that alone.  Plus I've a few keeper tanks that keep their own crew, so I have dozens of tank crews.  Because of that, I don't think I have any crews that have more than 4 skills that are 100% trained.  That is fine by me as I figure past 4 skills. The return is diminishing as you are picking skills that have a marginal impact at best.

TrevorsT112 #4 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 14:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2631 battles
  • [M-I-T] M-I-T
So if I have it right, each time you move a crew, they keep all their skills/perks and all you have to do is retrain back to %100?

xtc4 #5 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 14:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23490 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

Here's what I do, in general. I am sure that others have better ideas.

When I am grinding up a line through the mid and upper tiers, I will generally sell a tank when I am finished with it and then move the crew to the next tank. I will then spend gold to retrain the crew. I'll wait for a retraining sale, if one seems to be on the horizon. (I know that some people swear by retraining with silver. They take the hit to the crew and say that it doesn't take long for the crew to catch up again. Of course, that's the way to do it if you don't want to spend money.)

The issue is when you want to keep a tank. I generally move the best crew up and train a new crew for the keeper tank.

If the keeper tank is high tier, I generally won't train a new crew right in the tank. I usually don't like playing above tier 6 without at least one skill, i.e., I like to have 6th sense at least.  Therefore, I tend to have a mid-tier system for training new crews for each country that I play a lot. For a country like Russia, it is easy: I just circulate a new crew through the KV-1, KV-220, and Churchill III. The crew trains up in no time. But for a country like France, there is no obvious combination of mid-tier premiums and regular tanks that is good for training crews. Therefore, I simply use the BDR potato to train new French crews. After the crew is adequately trained, I spend gold to retrain it for the destination tank. (I know that some people are not as fussy about playing upper tiers without a skill and will train new crews in tier 8 premiums.)

BTW, Frontline was a Godsend for training crews. I didn't mind screwing around and playing without 6th sense. I trained my new Italian crew really nicely playing the Progetto.

Edited by xtc4, Jun 13 2018 - 15:04.

Dockmaster #6 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:06

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 42121 battles
  • [ACES] ACES

I have always moved my crews up the tiers.

I have 84 tanks but at least 32 are premiums I use for training. 

Every tech tree tank I have from tier 6 up have Majors as commanders. That is 50% of their 4th skill/perk. I only have 1 crew (T29) that is at 85% of their 5th skill/perk.

I cannot emphasize the importance of using premiums for training crews. Never buy a premium complete with crew. Only buy premiums that you have existing crews to run in them.

ThePigSheFlies #7 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:21

Major

• Players
  • 62426 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

if I liked a tank, it usually meant I had success in it, and it was at least partially 'meta' at some point in time and thus I tended to keep it, and would have a multi-perk crew in it.  I have 2-6 perks in roughly 90 tanks ranging from tier 4 through tier 10.

my tier 8-10s tend to have 4ish perks on mediums, 3-4 on heavies.  my LTs tend to have 4-5, with one into the 6th set (T71)

I started out playing multiple lines, slowly, primarily as a 'doubles' player and did not acquire my first tier 10 until around 19k battles. (roughly the same time that I started with premium acct purchases)

with this garage full of crewed, and equipped tanks, it meant that I typically had or was grinding towards 'meta' tanks that also meant semi-efficiently doing the personal missions.

I have played on a sheriff account back in the day where the crews were "all skills" - and I have experimented with pushing a crew to 7/8 perks on common test and for the most part have found 5ish to be the sweet spot of 'maximally' beneficial with respect to the time required to get them there (most of my 5ish perk crews are either all lady crews, or date from 2012/2013 and are in tanks that have been played for 1k or more battles)

moogleslam #8 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:21

Major

• Players
  • 35500 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

Have about 150 different crews at the moment.  I'd say 95% of those have at least 1 full skill, and on the other end of the spectrum, I've got a few crews that are about 80% on their 7th skill.

Some day, I'd like to get crews in every tank in the game, or at least in every tank in which I still have to accomplish something:  Ace, 3 MoE, etc.

As a side note, it's almost never worth paying gold to retrain a crew from one tank to another.  With a crew booster, it can take just a few battles to get them back to 100%.  The only exception in my mind is the Commander if he doesn't yet have Sixth Sense, as you probably don't want to prolong that, by having the crew member have to work on their role XP instead of Sixth XP.

Edited by moogleslam, Jun 13 2018 - 15:25.

MiddleAgedNoob #9 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10404 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostTrevorsT112, on Jun 13 2018 - 08:57, said:

So if I have it right, each time you move a crew, they keep all their skills/perks and all you have to do is retrain back to %100?

Correct.

Something I am doing as I'm grind up the French light line is moving the 100% crew from the tier 1 tank to each new tank without retraining it for the new vehicle.  This does means that they operate at 75% and get only half the experience.  Once I hit the ELC, I will retrain with gold.

i am doing this as I do not want to spend the gold to retrain in each vehicle and using silver costs 20k per crew member and means losing 10% of the experience level each time.  While the crew experience gained is only 50% of what it would be, all of it is going into the first skill, all of which will be retained when I reach the ELC.  Haven't done the math to see how much experience I am retaining or giving up this way, but it is certainly cheaper.

GLHF

Silversound #10 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:26

Major

• Players
  • 37867 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

300+ tanks = 300+ crews.

All at or above 100%.

Years and years of work.

Only a few super crews.

Never sold a tank, never moved a crew.

dominator_98 #11 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 18950 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
I’m keeping all my American mediums crewed because I like them and even with ~400 battles in premium American mediums I have yet to get a crew past their third skill. It takes a frustrating amount of time to get multiple crews properly trained. With less than 50 battles in prems, my jap heavy crew I moved up the line from tier 7-10 is almost done with their third skill.

da_Rock002 #12 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 16:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 6734 battles

View PostTrevorsT112, on Jun 13 2018 - 08:57, said:

yup

And it's worth the gold if you have it to keep start them at 100% every time you move 'em up.   If not, it's worth the silver to shorten that grind, if you have it.

To give you an idea what you may face, depending on how you catch on to the game, and how many crews you try to develop AFTER you've gotten past the first tiers (the low tiers aren't efficient grinding territory), it can take thousands of battles and months of grinding to get a crew to a couple of skills/perks.   Also, appropriate premiums to match crew makeup required for the vehicles you encounter on the trees are not always available.   Fighting a crew in 2 vehicles (one from the tree and a matching premium) is the usual way to speed up training,  just as paying for premium days.     And it still doesn't exactly skip on by.    

Take some time to read up on the whole deal.   It's not simple, nor is it fast. 

OldFrog75 #13 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 17:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 10039 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3
Had to check.  I have 47 tanks and 13 designated crews with 3 or more skills.  Most I moved up to higher tiers as I went along and then trained new replacement crews for the previous tanks I wanted to keep playing.  A few I trained right from the git-go and just left them there.  I also have a fair number of premium tanks so they do double (or triple) duty as needed.  :popcorn:

Edited by OldFrog75, Jun 13 2018 - 22:35.

GeorgePreddy #14 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 17:34

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

I have as many crews as I need in order to play tanks I really like to play without switching crews very often.

In my current case, that would be:

RU   8 full crews,  the best five of those crews have the driver working on his 8th skill and the Commander working on his 7th.

US  3 crews,  the best one is working their 5th skill.

FR   2 crews,  best is working on 5th skill.

DE  2 crews,  best is working 5th skill.

CH  1 crew working 7th skill.

PO  1 crew working 4th skill.

SW  1 crew working 4th skill.

Every one of my crew members have BIA as a "zeroth" skill. (Either bought Berlin crews or earned females)

Gtraxeman #15 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 17:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28078 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

My general way is to move crews up to the next tank, unless its a keeper. If I really like the keeper and will play it, the crew stays with that tank. I then train a new crew to move up to the next. Usually they can train in a premium, as I have so many. I dont like to move a crew (at tier 5 and above) until they get first set of skills done. I do not assign a new skill at that point, I play them again for 30 to 50 battles, retrain for silver, and the unassigned skill points go to the primary skill to keep it 100% after silver retrain.
Most of my crews are 2 to 3 full skills. I only have 3 crews at 4 plus skills.

So many tanks, so little time..... I play for variety and cant focus on one too long.

dunniteowl #16 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 20:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 20406 battles

View PostTrevorsT112, on Jun 13 2018 - 07:30, said:

How many tank crews are most here keeping? It seems like a lot of people move their crews between tanks after grinding up the skill/perks. Do most keep one high level skill/perk crew for each class of tank, or one for each tank. Just wondering since grinding past 3 skills/perks takes such a huge commitment.

I have an ARMY of tank crews.  I switch then into premiums from time to time, however, I just like play all the tanks and so tend to keep full crews everywhere I look.

I'm notably a bit odd.

OvO

Peak_Bagger #17 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 21:20

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14245 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jun 13 2018 - 17:34, said:

I have as many crews as I need in order to play tanks I really like to play without switching crews very often.

In my current case, that would be:

RU   8 full crews,  the best five of those crews have the driver working on his 8th skill and the Commander working on his 7th.

US  3 crews,  the best one is working their 5th skill.

FR   2 crews,  best is working on 5th skill.

DE  2 crews,  best is working 5th skill.

CH  1 crew working 7th skill.

PO  1 crew working 4th skill.

SW  1 crew working 4th skill.

Every one of my crew members have BIA as a "zeroth" skill. (Either bought Berlin crews or earned females)

Wow! I'm clearly doing something wrong. I have a similar number of games as you, George, but just 2 crews in total that have 3 skills. I have maybe 6-7 more crews with 2 skills. That's impressive, George!

TrevorsT112 #18 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 21:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2631 battles
  • [M-I-T] M-I-T
Great insight on the different ways to approach crew training. Thanks everyone,

Captain_Rownd #19 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 22:45

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2296 battles

View PostTrevorsT112, on Jun 13 2018 - 03:30, said:

I have probably about 25 full crews - maybe a few more.  Most of the non-premium vehicles I occasionally use have their own crew.  It's silly that we have to keep a different crew for each vehicle. I have at least 8 crews for France alone.

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Jun 13 2018 - 22:46.

Redwave11 #20 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 00:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17641 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

Generally i keep almost no tanks in the low tiers, i think the T-150, IS-3, WZ-132, T-29 and a couple tier 2-5s for tournaments are the only tanks i kept and i dont much care about the crews in them. I only ground out decent crews for the T-29 and WZ-132 all the rest only have 1 to 1 and a half skills. You really must move up the crew with the line you are grinding and keep tanks sparingly, i have met players who keep every tank they play and start a new crew at each tier, this is not only expensive in terms of credits but you also end up with only 1skill crews on most your tanks and a garage full of tanks you dont play. Also, i would recommend only keeping tanks in tiers 6, 8 and 10 (obviously) because they have the extra use of being available for clan wars and strongholds. Tier 2-5, 7 and 9 are only applicable for tournaments so you really only need like 1 heavy and a medium in those tiers if you plan on playing tournaments.

Also, over time you will find that you accumulate low tier premium tanks. 90% of my tanks in tier 2-5 are premiums that are from tank rewards, annual gifts from WG or even tanks i bought for gold just for tournaments. These make managing your crews much easier as you can just transfer a crew from another vehicle (in the same nation and class) with out penalty.

Some tips and tricks for grinding crews:

• I havent seen any in a while but you should try to spend the x2 crew xp weekends well.
  • Tier 6 strongholds with premium tanks are great for training new crews. I think I used my type 64 to train a crew for the WZ-120, 113 and WZ-132A because of how the chinese tech tree worked, and you can make a buttload of credits at the same time.
  • Try to do the personal campaign missions. If you complete a set you will be given a crew member with 2 skills already trained, this can be great to put as a commander of a new crew and really makes it easy to forget you are playing with a no skill crew when your commander already has 6th sense.

Overall I have about 35 crews for a 89 tank garage. 19 of those crews are tier 10s and another 13 are for tanks that I am playing up to tier 10 and will just get moved up as i go. I have about 5 tanks i kept that dont have crews, ~10 tanks i have started on new lines with no real crew, 5 tanks with dedicated crews and all the rest (39) are premiums that can take one of my tier 10 crews.

EDIT: As a note as to how skilled a crew needs to be to be good i would probably say you can get away with 2 full skills in most tanks. ie full bia + 6th sense and other assorted skills. Except on light tanks where you probably need up to 5 skills on the commander to accomodate bia + 6th + situational + recon + camo. IMO apart from the vision skills (maybe camo as well) crew doesnt matter that much. Firefighting is pretty much useless unless you run food frequently, you generally dont need repairs in 95% of games. Safestowage, adrenaline rush, designated target, signal boosting, call to vengance even controlled impact will have very little impact on your actual gameplay in the small number of occaisions where they apply.

Edited by Redwave11, Jun 14 2018 - 00:52.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users