How many tank crews?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

TrevorsT112 #21 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 15:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5116 battles
A lot of great comments here. Thanks again everyone. The biggest mistake I made from the beginning was believing that I could grind my way to well trained tank crews using just the available in-game resources. Out of 2500 matches, 1500 were spent getting clobbered in low tier standard tanks with no crew skills. Seeing that the grind was essentially going nowwhere, I started using premium time with low tier premium tanks about 1000 matches ago, and now have two crews with 2 skills near completion. Recognizing that this makes the game lean strongly towards a pay-to-play (which good game isn't), premium time to grind in premium tanks is the way to go if you want to develop your crews. I see a lot of value and practical sense in developing just a few 6 skill super crews to move between a tank collection, but there are so many tanks that I really liked and so many more that I haven't even tried yet that going this route would require a constant stream of gold if you want to avoid always having to retrain. maybe somewhere in the middle of the two strategies will work the best for me. 

Edited by TrevorsT112, Jun 14 2018 - 15:57.

da_Rock002 #22 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 16:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 7994 battles

View PostTrevorsT112, on Jun 14 2018 - 09:55, said:

A lot of great comments here. Thanks again everyone. The biggest mistake I made from the beginning was believing that I could grind my way to well trained tank crews using just the available in-game resources. Out of 2500 matches, 1500 were spent getting clobbered in low tier standard tanks with no crew skills. Seeing that the grind was essentially going nowwhere, I started using premium time with low tier premium tanks about 1000 matches ago, and now have two crews with 2 skills near completion. Recognizing that this makes the game lean strongly towards a pay-to-play (which good game isn't), premium time to grind in premium tanks is the way to go if you want to develop your crews. I see a lot of value and practical sense in developing just a few 6 skill super crews to move between a tank collection, but there are so many tanks that I really liked and so many more that I haven't even tried yet that going this route would require a constant stream of gold if you want to avoid always having to retrain. maybe somewhere in the middle of the two strategies will work the best for me.

It's not pay-to-play, but is very much pay-to-enjoy-reasonably-well

It really does help your success rate to develop crews and go for the new, more effective Premiums that seem to be WG's present plan.  

It not only helps your enjoyment to go with the WG-flow, but not improving the crew/tank can seriously slow your movement up the tiers.   A basic detail that's affected is how long you survive in battle.   Really, you don't learn the maps watching battles from spectator mode as fast as participating.    Your boots are on the ground the longer you survive.   One important detail of how long you survive is whether or not your equipment and crew has a chance against each enemy you encounter.  

da_Rock002 #23 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 16:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 7994 battles

BTW, one tool that WG provides for free, really free....   is the Common Test they activate every month or so.     You install it in it's own folder so it doesn't affect anything in your present game.   They start you out with HUGE sums in the bank.   Like a million in gold and 10 million credits and 10 million in XP  or more, I forget it's so much.....   When it's over, it just isn't available until next month.

You have an opportunity with it to test drive your present tanks with complete equipment and train crews with every skill you want.   Bottom line is it's excellent for YOU to see how each tank and component and such actually works for YOU.  

Only weakness is the server is in EU/RU so sometimes the players are interested in things you're not interested in.  Big deal....  it isn't costing you a penny.   Keep it in mind and try it out someday.    

Tanya_von_Degurechaf #24 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 17:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21571 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

My Barracks are full with 100% crew tanks gg xD

The_Pushok #25 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 23:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13101 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT
I have a crew for every tank, most have two or three skills.

da_Rock002 #26 Posted Jun 17 2018 - 11:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 7994 battles

View PostThe_Pushok, on Jun 14 2018 - 17:09, said:

I have a crew for every tank, most have two or three skills.

How many years have you been playing?

Your history shows you're presently playing almost 100% Russian.   Your top 44 are RU and every vehicle with more than 100 battles is RU.   Do you have any non-RU crews with 2-3 skills? 

Your info is informative for newbies who come to the Newcomer's Forum.   How long would you say it took you to get your first crew to 3 skills?    It'd give newbies some idea how long to expect.    How long does it take you now to train a new crew to 3?

The_Pushok #27 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 00:52

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13101 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

View Postda_Rock002, on Jun 17 2018 - 11:50, said:

How many years have you been playing?

Your history shows you're presently playing almost 100% Russian.   Your top 44 are RU and every vehicle with more than 100 battles is RU.   Do you have any non-RU crews with 2-3 skills? 

Your info is informative for newbies who come to the Newcomer's Forum.   How long would you say it took you to get your first crew to 3 skills?    It'd give newbies some idea how long to expect.    How long does it take you now to train a new crew to 3?

Been playing constantly since January 2017. 

I play only Russian tanks, there have been others here and there, especially when I started, but I only play Russian. I do have the StuG IV that I got from the campaign, and will keep, though I tossed some camo and Soviet flags on it, lol. I have no non-Russian crews at all aside for the StuG IV, and they have one skill at 33% so far.

Not sure how long it takes, I have two premium heavies, one premium medium, and a few lights though I do not play the lights. I train up my crews in the premiums, and advance crews together as I get higher tier tanks. For my arty, I have had the same crew starting at the SU-8, and now they are in the SU-14-2 and have two skills and almost a third after almost 600 battles combined.

For my light tanks, I am using the same crew in my LTTB I started with in the MT-25, and after almost 300 battles combined, they have one skill and almost 100% with a second skill. 

As a note, I never run crew training boosters with my arty nor light, just run them for the heavies and TDs. 

Edit: I have had my crews in my KV-2 and KV-1 for a very long time, never used any boosters on them, they both have over 800 battles each and the crews are almost to their third skill. If I kept the original crews, they would have been well into their third skill by now.

Edited by The_Pushok, Jun 19 2018 - 01:04.

da_Rock002 #28 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 11:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 7994 battles
Thanks for the insight.   It helps show newbies how long it takes some players to train crews. 

Gtraxeman #29 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 23:38

Captain

• Players
  • 30279 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Postda_Rock002, on Jun 19 2018 - 11:33, said:

Thanks for the insight.   It helps show newbies how long it takes some players to train crews. 

When I unlocked the T28HTC, I was wondering that too. So, I kept the 100% crew in it and it took 80-85 battles to pop that first skill. But, I believe this gets the premium bonus for crews and does do pretty good damage (thus, more xp). Also I ran the boosters most of the time, and only played it for daily double at an average of 2 games per session.

I would hazard a guess that it would take 150 or more battles in a non premium mid tier, to get that first set. No boosters or premium time figured in.

da_Rock002 #30 Posted Jun 21 2018 - 09:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 7994 battles

View PostGtraxeman, on Jun 20 2018 - 17:38, said:

When I unlocked the T28HTC, I was wondering that too. So, I kept the 100% crew in it and it took 80-85 battles to pop that first skill. But, I believe this gets the premium bonus for crews and does do pretty good damage (thus, more xp). Also I ran the boosters most of the time, and only played it for daily double at an average of 2 games per session.

I would hazard a guess that it would take 150 or more battles in a non premium mid tier, to get that first set. No boosters or premium time figured in.

That's good insight into the time it takes a decent player to grind out the first skill.    If you figure something like 7 minutes a battle for Tier7 Heavies (VBAddict) it's roughly 570 minutes or 9.5 hours of grinding with a couple of things helping.    Daily doubles and reserves ought to have made that 9.5 hours possible for sure.     For a 1st skill that is.   thanks

AlanPage #31 Posted Jun 21 2018 - 14:24

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18081 battles

View PostTrevorsT112, on Jun 14 2018 - 08:55, said:

Premium tanks are important for crew training, as are eliting vehicles and ticking the 'Accelerate Crew Training' box as soon as they are elited. 

After thousands of battles at lower tiers for vehicles from many lines and many nations, I decided on the first lines I would pursue and then waited for specials from WG for acquiring premiums in those lines.

So the first line I am grinding is American medium, and so I have the Tier 6 Thunderbolt, the Tier 6 Fury and the Tier 8 Super Pershing premiums. None of these premiums have dedicated crews ... I just run all of my other American medium crews through them for training purposes. I have 4 such non-premium medium tanks (all elited), each with its own crew: Tier 9 Patton, Tier 7 T20, Tier 6 M4A3E2 and Tier 5 M4 Sherman. I run my Patton crew through the Super Pershing, and the other 3 crews through the Fury and Thunderbolt, to maximize crew training and acquire skills and perks as quickly as possible. 

Make sure to save and then activate Personal Reserve crew boosters for when you'll be playing those crews in premiums for a solid 1-3 consecutive hours, and you can train crews quite quickly. 

If your goal is crew training, make sure to grind one line at a time and choose a line that has at minimum one Tier 6 and one Tier 8 premium tank. 

Edited by Capt_Nixon, Jun 26 2018 - 04:27.

The_Pushok #32 Posted Jun 26 2018 - 03:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13101 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

In case this was missed, an excellent discussion on this;

http://forum.worldof...ce-move-faster/

RC_1140 #33 Posted Jun 26 2018 - 04:18

Major

• Players
  • 60408 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
I have 642 crew members, but some are 100% or part of 1 skill with no tank. I just keep them in case I need them. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users