Creating maps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Risky_Dingo #1 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12274 battles

How much work and time goes into creating a WoT map?

Is if just a matter of slapping together pre-made graphic modules on a base terrain?

Or is it a massive project, where every rock and brick and tree is more-or-less carefully considered?

And why didn't they put a bridge or something across that river in Abbey? Annoying. (I wonder if there's a secret ford no one has found yet?)

Maybe it's pointless to talk about maps if WG's main purpose is to sell tanks and equipment and supplies, not "sell maps," so to speak.

Sometimes I get the impression that every time there's a tweak or change the game becomes less fun, not more.

I still think they should try randomly varying team base locations with every game. I don't know why most of you think it's a bad idea.

I don't care if it was "thrown out of committee", at least try it. How can that be too difficult to do?

Patterns of action on the maps have become so predictable. New team base orientations won't make a map brand-new, but I predict much will feel new.

Maybe they JUST DON'T CARE.

Maybe George Soros runs WoT.

See My alternate universe thread for my fantasy WoT re-imagining.

My Frontline tanks are missing. GOOD.

Edited by Risky_Dingo, Jun 13 2018 - 15:41.

FrozenKemp #2 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:48

Major

• Players
  • 46494 battles

Re map creation, I think it's the latter.  At least when recreating the maps they talked about trying to get the shapes of all the rocks (or most of them) the same as before.

Why don't they put a bridge... where, in the eastern part of Abbey?  I don't think it was ever really considered a properly playable area.

I think randomly varying base locations would make it more difficult for WG to judge whether the north or south side of the map is balanced.  The base locations tend to be fairly deliberately chosen and set up.  I don't think you could just put them anywhere.  

Dockmaster #3 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 42346 battles
  • [ACES] ACES

I suspect it is a massive undertaking. Otherwise we'd be swimming in maps.

I'm sure it is quite tedious to fine tune balance and must be subject to many man hours of input.

That's what I keep telling myself at any rate.

Silversound #4 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 15:57

Major

• Players
  • 38335 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

Next time you stop to kemp boosh, know this; that bush was deliberately put there.

Or better yet, next time you crash into a rock hidden in a bush, know this; that rock was deliberately put there.

tod914 #5 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 16:12

Major

• Players
  • 56695 battles
  • [RDNKS] RDNKS
It takes a substantially longer time than creating a new OP Premium or Soviet tank.

YANKEE137 #6 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 16:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 9771 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
I wish we could play across the river in Abbey, it would add some newness to a map we've all played thousands of times.

moogleslam #7 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 16:32

Major

• Players
  • 37479 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
Relevant:  http://forum.worldof...in-development/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users