How do you break a slump?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

SkaerKrow #1 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 06:06

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17295 battles
So I’ve had the worst two days in my almost eight years of playing WoT, where I’m basically just hot garbage on a 92 degree day, and it got me wondering: what do other players do in order to get out of a performance slump?

The_Illusive_Man #2 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 06:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 12744 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

Play my favorite tanks. Thats the only thing that helps. Or play OP tanks...

Edited by The_Illusive_Man, Jun 15 2018 - 06:10.

tod914 #3 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 06:13

Major

• Players
  • 58655 battles
Take a break.  Don't feed into it.

The_Pushok #4 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 06:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12400 battles
  • [IT420] IT420

I look into why, often with me it is just time to break for the day on playing. I find I start getting frustrated and impatient, thus making stupid mistakes and playing poorly.

If it is a true streak issues, and I am playing good, I usually bounce to an arty or drop to lower tiers to play. I also feel that playing a derp tank like the KV-2 or ISU-152 "sends positive vibes" lol. 

Stf_Sgt_Marblez #5 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 06:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1892 battles

Honestly I just keep on keepin on, nothing bad lasts forever (unless it's marmite).

Normaly I'll change tiers, or drop in a premium tank to grind out the next piece of equipment or a module on a tank I despise playing in.

Sometimes though, after the game has been 'the most' all night I'll just cue up some oldie goldies drink a beer or two and come back to it.

Pick your battles, don't wallow in the bs that is a bad night of gaming. Turn it off and find something more productive to spend time on.

<0 Skaerkrow

Edited by Stf_Sgt_Marblez, Jun 15 2018 - 06:53.

Avalon304 #6 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 06:57

Major

• Players
  • 19506 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostSkaerKrow, on Jun 14 2018 - 22:06, said:

So I’ve had the worst two days in my almost eight years of playing WoT, where I’m basically just hot garbage on a 92 degree day, and it got me wondering: what do other players do in order to get out of a performance slump?

I switch to my favourite tanks, or I platoon with friends. If neither of those things works, I take a break for the day. Usually by the next day things are better.

I_Maverick_I #7 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 07:03

Private

• -Players-
  • 23 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Please don't look at my battle count and think I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've played over 15,000 battles of WoTB, which, I know, is not the same thing. However I understand exactly what you mean by getting into a slump. Losses and losses start piling up and you don't know what to do.

1. It's not your fault (at least not 100%). Unless you've been pulling goose eggs for the last bunch of games, it hasn't always been your fault. There are times when I've done top damage while actively spotting and I glance behind as I see my team get absolutely wrecked by a few reds. Sometimes, the reds will have a bunch of unicums, or you have a bunch of window lickers that just don't know how to deal damage. Not every battle is winnable, but you definitely can have a large impact for your team. Let's get to Point 2. 

2. Stop. Just stop. Yes, I've been there. I have a 5 game loss streak and I'm thinking, omg, my stats will never recover unless I go break that streak right now. You aren't at your best when you've lost 5 games in a row, regardless of how well you were doing despite the losses. Even if you're getting top XP on the team consistently but losing, your frustration (and depending on how calm of a tanker you are) or rage will set in. An angry tanker never is at his/her best. You will be either too aggressive (which is normally what happens to me while I'm on a big loss streak) or you will be too passive and allow your team to get farmed. So if you've had a big loss streak, quit playing for at least 15 minutes. Take a deep breath, exhale, walk away from the computer. Grab a glass of water or a cold beer, settle down into a comfy chair, play some music, go chill on Discord or the forums, do whatever you need to do to get WoT out of your head. Clearing your head is absolutely necessary in my opinion to put those losses behind you. In fact, it could be a good time to go do something productive, like do your laundry, finish the dishes, do some homework, get cracking on those taxes. 

3. When you feel like you're relaxed (but not too relaxed, playing WoT while high, stoned, or drunk is not advisable), get back into it. I'd recommend dropping a tier or picking a really overpowered tank (that AT 7 grind can wait). Make sure you're in your best position to start playing. Make sure your ping is green, perhaps get into a platoon, check your tank to ensure it will be at its peak performance. 

4. When in-game, focus on what you can do to influence the game the best. Get some spots to help out your TD's or arty's, or start farming some strategic damage to help out your heavies. Don't bleed, and use your in-game basic fundamentals as much as possible, like side scraping and spotting behind soft cover. Be patient and deliberate. Don't make a dumb decision if you know the risk isn't worth the reward.

Keep those 4 points in the back of your head and live them out. Good luck OP and a solid o7, with any luck, you'll be on your way to victory results in no time.

Maverick

SRozell #8 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 08:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31027 battles
Leave for a few months play something else then come back.

Springfield_Fats #9 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 13:55

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10301 battles
Play a different game because this is just spiralling down lately

ThePigSheFlies #10 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 14:06

Major

• Players
  • 63937 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

a losing streak, bad teams, etc. are not primary reasons for a loss in entertainment value for me, at this stage.  2 days is nothing compared to the overall 6ish years of playing the game - a string of bad maps and bad teams/losses however, and I'm done.

the wotlabs signature didn't update yet, but my session yesterday was just under 70% over 35 battles.  I set a PR on paris in my progetto of 7 kills and 5400+ dmg.  I carried a tier 9 match with 5k combined in my tier 7 JagdPanther, had a 6 kill obscene damage game in the e25 farming rental panzerm10s on province.  a LOT of bad teams that didn't bother me, that worked out that the flow of battle meant I still had a good streak of wins and high output, but getting stuck on paris, province, ensk, mt pass a load of crap, and ruincrap multiple times finally broke my will to keep playing.

F0R_M07H3R_RU5514 #11 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 14:10

Major

• Players
  • 49928 battles
  • [_SF_] _SF_

IMHO, it is important to analyze how, exactly, a slump is characterized.

I stopped gauging my ability or impact based on win-rate, about four years ago.  In many, even a majority of battles, the game truly boils down to 29 v. 1.  You can understand the map, and the tanks, and quickly describe in chat a method to enhance your chance of victory and, at best, it falls on deaf ears.  Those that do respond will often tell you to get lost - it's my tank and I'll take my Type 5 to hill on Himmlesdorf or beach on Overlord, if I want!

_Brew_ #12 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 14:15

Major

• Players
  • 21056 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

View PostSkaerKrow, on Jun 15 2018 - 00:06, said:

Quit playing for a couple days.

Urabouttudie #13 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 14:24

Captain

• Players
  • 20862 battles

In over 10k battles experimenting with this very question...the only thing I've found that works for breaking loss streaks is this...

A 2nd account...left idle for several days...generally tends to start back up on a winning streak.

I maintain 2 accounts now...when one hits a losing streak it's a sure thing the other account, if sat isle long enough, will be on a win streak.

Damnedest thing I've ever seen in a game mechanic.

SkaerKrow #14 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 14:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17295 battles
Thanks for the replies, folks. There’s definitely some food for thought here.

I_QQ_4_U #15 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 14:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 17863 battles
Two days?? Unless you're playing 30 or so game s a day it's hard to call two bad days a slump, just keep playing until you get a win streak.

Trauglodyte #16 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 14:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 15851 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostSkaerKrow, on Jun 15 2018 - 06:06, said:

The first thing that I would suggest is to look at yourself, overall.  You and I have the same exact win percentage.  You've got almost 4k games on me but that is neither here nor there.  Both of us play German tanks - you play a lot more of the other nation trees where as I'm 99% Germany.  What separates us is that I have a 1400 wn8 over the past 30 days and you have barely above half of that.  What tanks are you playing?  What are you doing that is causing the lack of positive games?  Build out an Excel sheet and keep track of your games - I do that.  How are you performing in terms of your damage to health ratio?  How are you performing in your total combined damage (including assistance) to damage ratio?  How do you compare to the average damage output for the team per game?  Are you above average?  Are you below?  Getting better helps to eliminate bad sequences of games.

Outside of that, walk away and play the next day.  Losing more than 2-3 games on the same tank/multiple tanks just doesn't make the game worth it because it is harder to win than it is to lose.  I had 3 games in a row last night where RNG was biting me in the butt AND everyone on my team was below 47%.  Now, I know that I was below 47% way back when, I know that I'm on the cusp of 50% but have a mid-range wn8, etc.  But, I'm competitive enough and willing/wanting enough to get better.  Just feels like too many players just want to blow up tanks and don't give two poops about anything else, including their teammates.

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Jun 15 2018 - 14:06, said:

a losing streak, bad teams, etc. are not primary reasons for a loss in entertainment value for me, at this stage.  2 days is nothing compared to the overall 6ish years of playing the game - a string of bad maps and bad teams/losses however, and I'm done.

the wotlabs signature didn't update yet, but my session yesterday was just under 70% over 35 battles.  I set a PR on paris in my progetto of 7 kills and 5400+ dmg.  I carried a tier 9 match with 5k combined in my tier 7 JagdPanther, had a 6 kill obscene damage game in the e25 farming rental panzerm10s on province.  a LOT of bad teams that didn't bother me, that worked out that the flow of battle meant I still had a good streak of wins and high output, but getting stuck on paris, province, ensk, mt pass a load of crap, and ruincrap multiple times finally broke my will to keep playing.

You know, the funny thing about those games where things just fall in place with ease, is how easy they are.  I know that sounds weird but it feels like the seas part and the sun shines just for you.  The hand of God guides every shot and you just can't miss.  Then, the other 99% of the games happen and it feels like I'm building Rome by hand.  It is amazing to me that great games happen with such little effort yet every other game requires every ounce of willpower to carry.

Edited by Trauglodyte, Jun 15 2018 - 15:08.

Kliphie #17 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 15:00

Major

• Players
  • 30606 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

Take advice from a professional

Mark Grace in 2003

"A slumpbuster is if a team's in a slump, or if you personally are in a slump, you gotta find the fatest, gnarliest, grossest chick and you just gotta lay the wood to her. And when you do that, you're just gonna have instant success. And it could also be called jumping on a grenade for the team."

oldiowaguy #18 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 15:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22722 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3
Comrade, in WOT you don't break slump, slump breaks you!

Stf_Sgt_Marblez #19 Posted Jun 17 2018 - 11:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1892 battles

View PostTrauglodyte, on Jun 15 2018 - 08:44, said:

You know, the funny thing about those games where things just fall in place with ease, is how easy they are.  I know that sounds weird but it feels like the seas part and the sun shines just for you.  The hand of God guides every shot and you just can't miss.  Then, the other 99% of the games happen and it feels like I'm building Rome by hand.  It is amazing to me that great games happen with such little effort yet every other game requires every ounce of willpower to carry.

+1

Above is the only reason I have a Top gun in a PZ 38 t, its a decent little light tank, but I'm not a stellar player by any stretch of the imagination, but dangit if I could get that kind of game every time, I would be one happy 'mater.

A man can dream :)

Edited by Stf_Sgt_Marblez, Jun 17 2018 - 11:18.

Turdrooter #20 Posted Jun 17 2018 - 11:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4209 battles
  • [LONER] LONER
Play arty for a little bit when in a slump, no reason you should have a bad day all by yourself!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users