Why soccer? Why?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

HauptmannTigger #1 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 06:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17860 battles

Ok, I get that people like soccer. Its a great game, beloved by millions around the world.

However, how does it even remotely relate to armored combat? This game isn't world of strikers. If I want to play soccer, there are plenty of games that I can do that in. I am not playing those games, I am playing WoT.

If I play lots of games, I can get Buffon as a crew member. Why? Why not Michael Wittmann, Joe Ekins, Dmitry Lavrinenko, or Lafayette G. Pool? There are literally dozens of heroes of every nationality that are are far more relevant to a game about historical armored combat. Why not recognize and honor those guys who risked life and limb for their countries, instead of some soccer player?

Rather than spend time on sub games that are tangential to what WoT is about, why not get the core game more rounded out? There are plenty of things about WoT that aren't 'done' yet. Where is the Sturmpanzer? A T-34 Calliope? What about making multi-turet vehicles and smoke launchers a reality? What about getting Frontline worked out and in rotation permanently? How about historical battles using bots as the red team? What about amphibious vehicles? How about a Thermopylae like scenario against endless waves of bot tanks? How about working out map lighting settings for dusk and night battles? What about more ww1 vehicles or even more contemporary vehicles? Even adding futuristic sci-fi tanks would be more relevant than soccer mods...

There are a lot of things more related to the core focus of the game than this. I can come up with dozens of things that you can do to round out WoT that are better uses of resources than this.

Vallanor #2 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 07:09

Major

• Players
  • 25235 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO
Its because of the FIFA world cup this is currently happening. Its a world event so the world celebrates. If you don't like the WOT soccer then you don't have to play it. But i like it and im sure others do too.

Blackhorse_One_ #3 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 07:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5082 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

Whittmann was SS, so we won't get that particular personage, and I highly doubt that we'd ever see a named German TC in a game from Belarus.

All those other guys, sure - but you can bet that we'd see the Soviet TCs long before we ever saw any of the others.

In the West, excluding Germany, I think WG might run into some legal concerns about public domain vs royalties paid to those veterans or their families ...

Frontline proved that Smoke is feasible with the new graphics, but it does lug low-end computers, so we may not see it in routine use for a while yet.

Amphib tanks ... Why? ... Every tank in the game already has a deep-fording capability that it shouldn't have, and amphibs are fairly wasted without a smoke screen to cover a water crossing.

BTW, I don't give a rip about soccer, either ... Not that the reception would be any better, but why not American football when Super Bowl season comes around?

Edited by Blackhorse_One_, Jun 15 2018 - 07:49.

Huey_Long #4 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 07:48

Major

• Players
  • 24043 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

View PostBlackhorse_One_, on Jun 15 2018 - 06:31, said:

Whittmann was SS, so we won't get that particular personage, and I highly doubt that we'd ever see a named German TC in a game from Belarus.

All those other guys, sure - but you can bet that we'd see the Soviet TCs long before we ever saw any of the others.

In the West, excluding Germany, I think WG might run into some legal concerns about public domain vs royalties paid to those veterans or their families ...

Frontline proved that Smoke is feasible with the new graphics, but it does lug low-end computers, so we may not see it in routine use for a while yet.

BTW, I don't give a rip about soccer, either ... Not that the reception would be any better, but why not American football when Super Bowl season comes around?

Pushing a ball around into a goal is easier than trying to do an american football game where the ball is carried. 

Ratnikk #5 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 07:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9894 battles
Dont play the mode if you dont like it. World cup is the biggest event on the planet it doesnt matter what you do or where you go youre gonna hear about the world cup. Random games are still operational.

Blackhorse_One_ #6 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 07:57

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5082 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View PostRatnikk, on Jun 15 2018 - 01:49, said:

Dont play the mode if you dont like it. World cup is the biggest event on the planet it doesnt matter what you do or where you go youre gonna hear about the world cup. Random games are still operational.

I don't give a damn about soccer - it's un-American ...

If I have to endure that crap, then I want the option to tune-out the LeRoy Neiman-inspired bad acid-trip that is the current soccer garage ...

Edited by Blackhorse_One_, Jun 15 2018 - 09:20.

Blackhorse_One_ #7 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 07:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5082 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View PostHuey_Long, on Jun 15 2018 - 01:48, said:

Pushing a ball around into a goal is easier than trying to do an american football game where the ball is carried.

Both are absurd in this context

Edited by Blackhorse_One_, Jun 15 2018 - 08:00.

Avalon304 #8 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 08:01

Major

• Players
  • 19416 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

So... if you dont like the soccer hide the soccer tanks and dont play them. Yes, you'll have to look at the garage, but you can still play normal tanks.

And heres why we dont have the people you listed: likenesses cost money. WoT has already worked out contract with Buffon (from the Italian tank introduction), and since the world cup is going on right now it makes sense to include him, since... you know... he plays soccer. This is also why we didnt get the likeness of Col. Creighton Abrams when Thunderbolt VII came out. Its also why we probably wont get Joe Ekins' likeness when Velikye Luki is released or why we wont get Robert Early's likeness when we get Eagle 7 in the future. Or why we wont get Otto Carius' like ness if Tiger 217 ever comes out.

Meanwhile Im gonna have some fun derping around in a speedy E 100 and a 13 105 with a huge autoloader drum or a nitrous infused T-62A.

Edited by Avalon304, Jun 15 2018 - 08:03.

tonkmato #9 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 08:02

Captain

• Players
  • 14124 battles

View PostBlackhorse_One_, on Jun 14 2018 - 23:57, said:

I don't give a damn about soccer - it's un-American ...

If I have to endure that crap, then I want the option to tune-out the LeRoy Nieman-inspired bad acid-trip that is the current soccer garage ...

too bad all those un-patriotic US women's teams have been so successful since the 90s. How dare they be at or near the top of such an un-American sport

Blackhorse_One_ #10 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 08:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5082 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View Posttonkmato, on Jun 15 2018 - 02:02, said:

too bad all those un-patriotic US women's teams have been so successful since the 90s. How dare they be at or near the top of such an un-American sport

And they play so well in the NFL, too ... :sceptic:

heavymetal1967 #11 Posted Jun 15 2018 - 09:00

Major

• Players
  • 65300 battles

Soccer has way too much of a play acting drama queen element to it.

And before someone moans about helmets, pads, protective gear etc..

The rugby player is the girl.  To clarify, the one with long blond hair.

ogre_vt #12 Posted Jun 16 2018 - 14:31

Private

• -Players-
  • 11896 battles

I really don't like the garish soccer garage.  I loved the forest and I want the forest and people and stream and sound effects from before back a.s.a.p!  The forest made a great screen saver as well.  Soccer mode and it's garage should be a pull down item.

Thanks for providing a place to [edited]...

Springfield_Fats #13 Posted Jun 16 2018 - 14:57

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10301 battles
They think the vomit colored camos and guy that no one has heard of will distract players for 5 minutes from the crapstate of their game

dunniteowl #14 Posted Jun 16 2018 - 16:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 22155 battles

I think my good, old friend, Bill Shakespeare had a play about this very thing.  What was that title...?

That's it!

Much Ado About Nothing.

OvO

EmperorJuliusCaesar #15 Posted Jun 16 2018 - 16:55

Major

• Players
  • 29893 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostHauptmannTigger, on Jun 14 2018 - 21:47, said:

Ok, I get that people like soccer. Its a great game, beloved by millions around the world.

However, how does it even remotely relate to armored combat? This game isn't world of strikers. If I want to play soccer, there are plenty of games that I can do that in. I am not playing those games, I am playing WoT.

If I play lots of games, I can get Buffon as a crew member. Why? Why not Michael Wittmann, Joe Ekins, Dmitry Lavrinenko, or Lafayette G. Pool? There are literally dozens of heroes of every nationality that are are far more relevant to a game about historical armored combat. Why not recognize and honor those guys who risked life and limb for their countries, instead of some soccer player?

Rather than spend time on sub games that are tangential to what WoT is about, why not get the core game more rounded out? There are plenty of things about WoT that aren't 'done' yet. Where is the Sturmpanzer? A T-34 Calliope? What about making multi-turet vehicles and smoke launchers a reality? What about getting Frontline worked out and in rotation permanently? How about historical battles using bots as the red team? What about amphibious vehicles? How about a Thermopylae like scenario against endless waves of bot tanks? How about working out map lighting settings for dusk and night battles? What about more ww1 vehicles or even more contemporary vehicles? Even adding futuristic sci-fi tanks would be more relevant than soccer mods...

There are a lot of things more related to the core focus of the game than this. I can come up with dozens of things that you can do to round out WoT that are better uses of resources than this.

"What about getting Frontline worked out and in rotation permanently? How about historical battles using bots as the red team?"

Both will be in the game by the end of the year.

KingofDragons #16 Posted Jun 16 2018 - 19:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21121 battles
i think they could have improved the game by having 5 vs 5 with no damage.. 2 forwards ..2 defence ..goalkeeper ... also this tracking b.s is getting a lil much

AZandEL #17 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 03:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27341 battles

View PostVallanor, on Jun 15 2018 - 06:09, said:

Its because of the FIFA world cup this is currently happening. Its a world event so the world celebrates. If you don't like the WOT soccer then you don't have to play it. But i like it and im sure others do too.

How about a Taylor Swift event then - makes about as much sense. The point is there are many things that they could spend their time on instead of these stupid stunts. How about another map eh?

GRINCH7777 #18 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 20:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 45423 battles
  • [SHUSH] SHUSH
.....I dont play it because it sucks and I dont like it...other can play it and enjoy it.....bring back FRONTLINE which is much better.

64sherman #19 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 20:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26044 battles
  • [MOZZY] MOZZY

If you don't like tank soccer then... don't. play. it.  Don't complain about things that other people enjoy unless it somehow hurts you.  

64sherman #20 Posted Jun 19 2018 - 20:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26044 battles
  • [MOZZY] MOZZY

View PostAZandEL, on Jun 18 2018 - 20:20, said:

How about a Taylor Swift event then - makes about as much sense. The point is there are many things that they could spend their time on instead of these stupid stunts. How about another map eh?

If the Taylor Swift event had fun gameplay like soccer then sure why not, it doesn't affect those that don't want to play it at all so why on earth would you care at all?  Also WG is CONSTANTLY reworking maps.  I'd like to remind you they reworked the ENTIRE GAME INTO HD just a couple patches ago.  Some people will just never be satisfied.  

Edited by 64sherman, Jun 19 2018 - 20:39.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users