• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Gnomon #1 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 17:38

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 629 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hey, everyone! 

Just wanted to talk a bit about some new Supertest new that you probably got from the thread title. 

Two new maps are entering the Common Test today: Minsk (not the final name) and the Poland-themed one (name pending). First, Minsk is a city map based on the center of the Belarusian capital. The Poland-themed map is a hybrid map (a small Polish town and its surroundings). 

We tested several prototypes of these maps before. Today’s versions are pre-final: their look and, most likely, their gameplay scenarios will change little from now until their release. The objectives of the current tests are fine-tuning the balance and making playing on these maps comfortable and enjoyable. We’re going to check the interaction between attack routes, the efficiency and gameplay appeal of various strategic positions, and the win/loss percentages for both sides.

Minsk

This city map recreates the central part of Minsk at the beginning of the 1970s. Though we changed some details for the sake of gameplay, the Plošča Pieramohi (the Victory Square) and the circus building are very realistic. Other houses and landmarks are also recognizable for those who are familiar with Minsk. 

The map has three gameplay zones:

• Dense building blocks near the Plošča Pieramohi protect you from TD fire, and favor well-armored vehicles and close-to-mid-range fighting. You can also try to snipe (if you’re bold enough to drive on the straight and broad streets).
  • The zone formed by Gorky Park and the Svislach river embankment is covered in trees and bushes and has several small hills. It’s a tricky place: enemies can hit you from almost every direction, but playing wisely will let you support allies on the flanks or sneak-up on your opponents undetected.
  • The Praspiekt Niezaliežnasci (Independence Avenue) / Kupala Street intersection is good for mobile tanks. Take firing positions quickly or try to flank the opposing side.

Minsk Video 1

Minsk Video 2

Minsk Screenshots

Poland

This map combines open spaces with some brawling zones. It’s not based on any historical location in particular, but the environment is undoubtedly Polish: large fields, lots of vegetation, small village houses centered around a tall Catholic church building (kościół). A small brick factory sits right in the middle of this location.

There are three gameplay zones on the map:

• The brick factory is for those driving vehicles with some hefty armor. It’s protected from tank destroyer fire but you may see a shell coming from another part of the map. Control the factory to help your allies extend their attacks on neighboring routes or to defend should you lose the flanks. The dried riverbed splitting the factory is a good location for fast light tanks and for vehicles with good gun depression: here you can secure a flank fairly quickly.
  • The central part of the map can be used to spot enemies at the beginning of the battle. It suits light tanks and fast mediums. A ditch goes from the factory to the village; use it to spot the opponents or to flank them when they least expect it. The field is surrounded by hills with some concealing shrubbery offering nice striking positions and a safe passage to the village.
  • The village is a place for every vehicle class: lots of cover (both destructible and indestructible), bushes, and shoot-throughs. Capture it to assist your team at the factory or to set up a final assault on the enemy base.

Poland Video

Poland Screenshots

When Are They Coming?

As you can see we’re approaching the finishing line with both maps—we’re on the fine-tuning stage, after all. So, they will appear in the game in foreseeable future. The exact release can’t be properly assessed: we can’t foresee how much time it will take to polish Poland and Minsk.

Let us know what you think about the new maps! 

Please follow the news, and thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Gnomon, Jun 20 2018 - 19:12.
Added videos

Blackhorse_One_ #2 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 17:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3223 battles
  • [HHT] HHT
You gave us sceenies, but didn't actually give us a map for either map ....

Cognitive_Dissonance #3 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 17:44

Major

• Players
  • 38017 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS
New maps, are always good!

The_Illusive_Man #4 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 17:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 11952 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
Minsk looks like Paris, and Himmlesdorf combined. Not sure how good they will be, but they better not be corridor maps....

CapnNoahJoJo03 #5 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 17:51

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14425 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
Polish Poland... Pretty puny play on words dere 

Ortinoth #6 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 18:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25808 battles

i rather not have more city maps, the ones we have are broken aka FJORDS is still broken with the hill and trying to fight north

YANKEE137 #7 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 18:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 9477 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Poland needs polish?

YANKEE137 #8 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 18:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 9477 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Minsk better have a WG Easter Egg or two.

BabA_YA6A #9 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 18:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26111 battles

You talk about more new maps on Supertest.

Where are all the maps that have been taken out of the game???

I don't think I speak for myself that many people on this game would prefer some of the maps that have been taking out for ??? get returned to the game.

Because in all honesty the map rotation right now is "ABYSMAL". 

LeaveIT2Beaver #10 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 18:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 29978 battles
  • [J4F] J4F
I see FrontLine influences and structures !  Very good!

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Jun 20 2018 - 18:13.

Nudnick #11 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 18:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 23709 battles
What size are these maps ? I'm sick of maps as small as my view range. All the postage stamp maps should be limited to low tiers.

537dL #12 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 18:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16505 battles
looks like more of the same

Gnomon #13 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 19:09

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 629 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostBlackhorse_One_, on Jun 20 2018 - 10:42, said:

You gave us sceenies, but didn't actually give us a map for either map ....

Sorry about that! The videos for the maps have been processed and added to my main post. They show the layouts, including the maps you see in battle.

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #14 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 19:10

Major

• Players
  • 73452 battles

I like the visuals on the first one, but generally don't like city maps.

Please bring back the other 30 maps you removed (esp. Dragon Ridge), and fix the ones you broke recently.

_Promote_Synergy_ #15 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 19:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15368 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

Hard pass on Minsk, that map is going to be a campfest. In order to move to the other side you have to cross a bridge or skirt 1 or 0 line. Leaving you way out in the open to fire. Who ever camps/positions themselves to block the 4 corridors the best, they win.

Poland could be interesting with obstacles in the middle of the map, hard to tell without an overhead view.

Almighty_Johnson #16 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 20:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20990 battles
  • [JOY] JOY

View PostNudnick, on Jun 20 2018 - 12:18, said:

What size are these maps ? I'm sick of maps as small as my view range. All the postage stamp maps should be limited to low tiers.

From the view range circles on the mini map, I'd guess these are 1km x 1km maps.  Maybe 1.2km. (or else the view range ring is not 450 meters)

Avalon304 #17 Posted Jun 20 2018 - 20:28

Major

• Players
  • 18441 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
Both look pretty good. Would like to play on Minsk.

Yojimbo50 #18 Posted Jun 21 2018 - 14:42

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9814 battles
I know I'm just a newbe but I would love to see new maps and a return of many of the older ones.  As a senior with a lot of empty time on my hands I play a lot and playing Himmelsdorph over and over gets old.  ( AND I KNOW OLD ) Playing on different maps keeps it fresh and exciting for me and playing on the same maps over and over again just gets boring.  Thank you for your time.

AZandEL #19 Posted Jun 23 2018 - 21:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26272 battles

View PostGnomon, on Jun 20 2018 - 16:38, said:

Hey, everyone!

Just wanted to talk a bit about some new Supertest new that you probably got from the thread title.

Two new maps are entering the Common Test today: Minsk (not the final name) and the Poland-themed one (name pending). First, Minsk is a city map based on the center of the Belarusian capital. The Poland-themed map is a hybrid map (a small Polish town and its surroundings).

We tested several prototypes of these maps before. Today’s versions are pre-final: their look and, most likely, their gameplay scenarios will change little from now until their release. The objectives of the current tests are fine-tuning the balance and making playing on these maps comfortable and enjoyable. We’re going to check the interaction between attack routes, the efficiency and gameplay appeal of various strategic positions, and the win/loss percentages for both sides.

Minsk

This city map recreates the central part of Minsk at the beginning of the 1970s. Though we changed some details for the sake of gameplay, the Plošča Pieramohi (the Victory Square) and the circus building are very realistic. Other houses and landmarks are also recognizable for those who are familiar with Minsk.

The map has three gameplay zones:

• Dense building blocks near the Plošča Pieramohi protect you from TD fire, and favor well-armored vehicles and close-to-mid-range fighting. You can also try to snipe (if you’re bold enough to drive on the straight and broad streets).
  • The zone formed by Gorky Park and the Svislach river embankment is covered in trees and bushes and has several small hills. It’s a tricky place: enemies can hit you from almost every direction, but playing wisely will let you support allies on the flanks or sneak-up on your opponents undetected.
  • The Praspiekt Niezaliežnasci (Independence Avenue) / Kupala Street intersection is good for mobile tanks. Take firing positions quickly or try to flank the opposing side.

Minsk Video 1

Minsk Video 2

Minsk Screenshots

Poland

This map combines open spaces with some brawling zones. It’s not based on any historical location in particular, but the environment is undoubtedly Polish: large fields, lots of vegetation, small village houses centered around a tall Catholic church building (kościół). A small brick factory sits right in the middle of this location.

There are three gameplay zones on the map:

• The brick factory is for those driving vehicles with some hefty armor. It’s protected from tank destroyer fire but you may see a shell coming from another part of the map. Control the factory to help your allies extend their attacks on neighboring routes or to defend should you lose the flanks. The dried riverbed splitting the factory is a good location for fast light tanks and for vehicles with good gun depression: here you can secure a flank fairly quickly.
  • The central part of the map can be used to spot enemies at the beginning of the battle. It suits light tanks and fast mediums. A ditch goes from the factory to the village; use it to spot the opponents or to flank them when they least expect it. The field is surrounded by hills with some concealing shrubbery offering nice striking positions and a safe passage to the village.
  • The village is a place for every vehicle class: lots of cover (both destructible and indestructible), bushes, and shoot-throughs. Capture it to assist your team at the factory or to set up a final assault on the enemy base.

Poland Video

Poland Screenshots

When Are They Coming?

As you can see we’re approaching the finishing line with both maps—we’re on the fine-tuning stage, after all. So, they will appear in the game in foreseeable future. The exact release can’t be properly assessed: we can’t foresee how much time it will take to polish Poland and Minsk.

Let us know what you think about the new maps!

Please follow the news, and thanks for stopping by!

What is the obsession with city corridor maps? Why not just call this World of Heavy Tanks and be done with it? What do expect TD's, scouts, and arty to do to contribute to their team?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users