• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Jun 26 2018 - 06:15

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13310 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hey Tankers,

Apologies for missing Map Monday last week. Your friendly neighborhood Domo was dying from a fever. But without further ado, our map for this week is Westfield.

Check out the video below, listen to some epic bagpipes and take a scenic drive down the fields of Scotland and channel your inner William Wallace as you prepare for battle.

Previous Guide: Mines

Map Mondays Master List

To start off our Strategy for this week, a word from AirG (make sure you check out his stream on Twitch tuesdays-saturdays 2:00PM - 9:00 PM CT) 

Block Quote

Westfield is a well rounded map that consists of rolling hills in the northwest and an iconic valley due southeast. Having two separate spawn points for each base for different tank roles greatly helps with what players need to do on flanks they are positioned on. Beginning positions and early gameplay: Heavies/TDs loading in will mostly spawn top side, easily migrating to the northwest corner. Tanks with favorable gun depression will take advantage of this, keeping tabs of TDs in the back and keeping the enemies lit for Artillery support using the first ridge you'd likely see. Don't have gun depression? No worries! There's flatter ground in the more northern part of the corner with adequate cover to hull-down with or you can proceed into town to get great cover against artillery and provide additional crossfire into the north. TDs, you can scoot onto the redline supporting the heavies or position yourself on the edge where topside and the valley meet and do TD things. You know, the sniping of sorts. Meds/lights: will spawn down in the valley and have the important role of keeping the southern corner and majority of the valley cleared. Two shelves are provided for lights (if enough view range) to passively spot anything crossing into the southern corner while mediums can fire on them from either the shelf or southern part of town. Otherwise, it's best for the lights to make a cross attempt into the corner to keep an eye out on the enemies shelf.

The East Flank

The East Flank is typically where mediums and lights tend to gravitate, as AirG mentioned. You have opportunities for scouting across the valley, although chances are there are some TD's hiding in bushes beyond your view range thanks to their combined base camo rating as well as the additional bonus provided by the heavy foliage on the Northwest ridgeline. Typically, you will want to stay safe on the East side, behind cover. Take care when moving across the eastern ridge from behind cover, and be hyper-aware of the potential for covering fire from the west at all times.

Expand

The Middle Flank

The middle flank offers sniping opportunities across the Eastern Valley, as well as opportunities for brawling in the town. (I haven't included screenshots of town because your positioning in town will be extremely situational.) As mentioned in the previous passage, you have quite a few opportunities to hang out in the bushes across the valley, however it's necessary to exercise extreme caution because if you get spotted from a particularly aggressive light tank pushing through the town, you're likely to take a lot of enemy fire rather quickly. There isn't much hard cover on the ridgeline, so your chances of survival are slim if you don't get out fast.

EXPAND

The NorthFlank

This flank is arguably the most important It can crumble rather quickly, and losing this flank will give the enemy team potentially overwhelming map control. This ridgeline is a dangerous one, as there are a lot of opportunities for crossfire. High risk, high reward is the name of the game. If you have decent gun depression, you can poke over the top of the ridge, but you need to be aware of Td's camping the redline. Typically, firing from behind foliage at the redline will still cause enemy TD's to break camo, but if they have high alpha damage, trading might not be worth it (especially if there's more than one.)

This tends to be the Heavy Push, as even vehicles with poor gun depression parameters can find a place to get some shots off. Like the Eastern ridge, you need to be aware of all the potential firing angles. 

EXPAND

Sorry this one's a bit light! As always, share your thoughts, comments, suggestions below.

Have a good night, folks :)

spud_tuber #2 Posted Jun 27 2018 - 05:26

Major

• Players
  • 49259 battles
Meh, these days I generally take my mediums north with the heavies.  It's very hard to break the south open without overwhelming force.  Go north, and help your heavies win north, and end up with control over 3/4 of the map.  The higher the battle tier, the more advantageous it is to win in the north, imo, so might as well get in practice at lower tiers.

There's also one major design flaw with this map.  Anything slow and/or low  HP/ton spawning in valley.  Takes forever to get out whichever way you go, and can sometimes result in the battle being decided before you even get to it.

TinWorm #3 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 00:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 55 battles

View Postspud_tuber, on Jun 27 2018 - 05:26, said:

Meh, these days I generally take my mediums north with the heavies. It's very hard to break the south open without overwhelming force. Go north, and help your heavies win north, and end up with control over 3/4 of the map. The higher the battle tier, the more advantageous it is to win in the north, imo, so might as well get in practice at lower tiers.

There's also one major design flaw with this map. Anything slow and/or low HP/ton spawning in valley. Takes forever to get out whichever way you go, and can sometimes result in the battle being decided before you even get to it.

Indeed spud, it can be really annoying if you're tooned with mediums and you're in something slow (heavy or TD), because you're very likely to spawn down near cap.

spud_tuber #4 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 00:50

Major

• Players
  • 49259 battles

View PostTinWorm, on Jun 27 2018 - 17:30, said:

Indeed spud, it can be really annoying if you're tooned with mediums and you're in something slow (heavy or TD), because you're very likely to spawn down near cap.

Even things like M4 jumbo, matildas, super pershings, valentines, etc are a problem, as they can easily spawn down there

Not_Connery #5 Posted Jun 30 2018 - 15:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6391 battles
  • [BTBG] BTBG

View PostDomoSapien, on Jun 26 2018 - 06:15, said:

channel your inner William Wallace as you prepare for battle.

Well, I DO Sometimes feel like I'm being drawn and quartered while playing this game... :P

Edited by Not_Connery, Jun 30 2018 - 15:09.

xXTheGameAceXx #6 Posted Jul 02 2018 - 21:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9590 battles

Quite frankly I can't stand the map. Would rather play Prokhorovka in my Type 5, and that's painful enough. Pretty literally no cover from artillery, only high camo TDs can stay effectively hidden while sniping stuff (which they can hit quite easily from either side) while others suffer or have to brawl, and it heavily favors lower profile tanks and hull-downs. Town isn't much help and can get shot up from almost all directions, including the other side of the map. Other side of the map is only open to faster tanks (mediums and lights) to be effective, and they can get ripped apart from the town in center, which heavily promotes camping.

All around, least favorite map, and absolutely my most hated to play.

gatorken #7 Posted Jul 09 2018 - 15:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 73717 battles
  • [M-M-E] M-M-E
How about a strategy for poking that north ridge.  I can never get the timing correct even if I have gun depression.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users