• 7276 battles
  • [TXV] TXV

Glacier is worse

change my mind

cloudwalkr #3 Posted Jun 26 2018 - 19:02

Major

• Players
  • 54530 battles

Most of the maps were made worse with the graphics update.  Province, even though it's still trash, is better than it used to be...but yeah...it's still trash WG.

Erlenburg, Fjords....most of them.

It was funny in your video watching you shoot them and non of them being intelligent enough to even try blind firing there.  That gave me a solid chuckle.

GeorgePreddy #4 Posted Jun 26 2018 - 19:27

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

Yes... I like Glacier and Province.

1Sherman #5 Posted Jun 26 2018 - 19:43

Major

• Players
  • 5303 battles

View PostCapPhrases, on Jun 26 2018 - 12:58, said:

Glacier is worse

change my mind

I like glacier. There's positions for both close-range fighting and for sniping. Province I don't like because it's always a blowout.

General_Greg101 #6 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 03:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14981 battles
Province is the worst map in the game. Province was brought back purely for visuals, and to go along with the new Italian tech tree, and nothing else.

WeSayNotToday #7 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 04:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19045 battles

I really like Province, and to me, your topic should be, "this is why Province should be tier-limited to tier 8 maximum."

Province provides

1. Get to your position.  Now. 
  2. Push when you can, or go to sleep and lose your tank.
  3. Excellent spotting
  4. excellent crossfires
  5. need for situational and positional awareness/ micro-positioning
  6. Something for every tank type
  7. Real opportunities for arty/ teamwork
  8. Reinforcing that map knowledge is a big deal in WoT
  9. Beautiful map.

I would not be particularly happy if we had 3 or 4 maps with the Province meta, but it is a very worthy inclusion to the map catalogue.

4TankersandaDog's mastery of the map is just that, mastery of the map, and I think a potent reason for tier-limiting the map.  The exercise is not needed nearly as much at tier 10, although, clearly, the other team did not have map mastery and could use the practice.

Edited by WeSayNotToday, Jun 28 2018 - 04:18.

EmperorJuliusCaesar #8 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 10:21

Major

• Players
  • 30451 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jun 26 2018 - 10:27, said:

Yes... I like Glacier and Province.

At tier 5 where you play I bet people don't have the view range to make it suck like it does in the high tiers.

Dalroi #9 Posted Jun 29 2018 - 17:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33069 battles
This is an example of why we need the downvote button. Province is awesome.

cloudwalkr #10 Posted Jun 29 2018 - 20:36

Major

• Players
  • 54530 battles

View PostWeSayNotToday, on Jun 28 2018 - 04:15, said:

I really like Province, and to me, your topic should be, "this is why Province should be tier-limited to tier 8 maximum."

Province provides

1. Get to your position.  Now.  (Every map is basically this tactic)
  2. Push when you can, or go to sleep and lose your tank.     (This is basic level tactics and should also be applied to every map)
  3. Excellent spotting      (I disagree.  It has specific spotting - meaning that you go to the same spots to scout the same lines.  No dynamic scouting or play.)
  4. excellent crossfires     (It does have excellent crossfires - which overall hurts the map because of the design.  You can't push either flank naturally because you die as soon as you're lit from crossfire.  It creates stale games where everyone just sits and waits for shots.)
  5. need for situational and positional awareness/ micro-positioning      ( I disagree.  Once you figure the overall map out it turns into - go here...shoot this...go here.)
  6. Something for every tank type      (Not really, in my opinion.  It's fast tanks cross and try to win that flank while slow tanks stay and sit and wait for attackers to try and push.)
  7. Real opportunities for arty/ teamwork      (I agree about the arty.  This is a map where arty shines because it's a map that promotes camping and sitting.  You push down a flank, you get pinned in and take arty splashes until you die.  You sit back, get lit...take arty till you die.)
  8. Reinforcing that map knowledge is a big deal in WoT    (In my opinion  this map doesn't really highlight solid map knowledge because it's such a simple map.  You cross, and try to kill your flank before the enemy does it to your team.)
  9. Beautiful map.    ( It is awesome looking, I agree.  I love the new graphics...just wish WG would make some actually good maps)

I would not be particularly happy if we had 3 or 4 maps with the Province meta, but it is a very worthy inclusion to the map catalogue.

4TankersandaDog's mastery of the map is just that, mastery of the map, and I think a potent reason for tier-limiting the map.  The exercise is not needed nearly as much at tier 10, although, clearly, the other team did not have map mastery and could use the practice.

My responses in blue.  Keep in mind, these are my opinions.

My overall opinion of Province is that it's basically a 4 column map that funnels people down 2 streets basically.  The map winner seems to be whoever has more mediums and fast tanks willing to cross and actually attack the defending side.  The defenders who choose to stay up on their side are forced to pick a building and sit all game hoping for cross fire and to not be light and die with nowhere to go.

It's a map that also promotes hard camping all over.  My example of the defenders who stay behind without crossing are pretty much in arty fire or out in the open for enemy team fire.  WG made it bigger in hopes it would fix the maps problems but you can make that map as big as you want and it would still have the same overall basic problems it has now.  

Tier limiting the map might help, I just don't know.  I'm honestly not sure what would make me enjoy that map.

Grampy #11 Posted Jun 29 2018 - 21:24

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 23357 battles
  • [CS7AO] CS7AO
FINALLY got to play Province. Something different from all the other maps, had a good time. Looking forward to playing it a lot more.

scHnuuudle_bop #12 Posted Jun 30 2018 - 05:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 18138 battles
  • [MUG-T] MUG-T
I like Province, the campers on any tier are just delicious. Players are so daft and accommodating. They move to their favorite, and hugely predictable parking spot. And blind shot after shot , just cannot convince anyone to actually move, using engines and tracks. Do these players not understand that the hideouts are not secret. Anyhow, I love the campers, don't even need the spotting.

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Jun 30 2018 - 05:50.

WeSayNotToday #13 Posted Jul 08 2018 - 00:54

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19045 battles

Block Quote

Province provides

1. Get to your position.  Now.  (Every map is basically this tactic) [I find that many maps are more flexible, and allow for a lot more dilly-dallying.  And, even if "every map demands this tactic," Province is almost instructive about "getting about your business."]
  2. Push when you can, or go to sleep and lose your tank.     (This is basic level tactics and should also be applied to every map) [and yet, people still need the help, and Province does prod and or reward people in this direction/ for this.]
  3. Excellent spotting      (I disagree.  It has specific spotting - meaning that you go to the same spots to scout the same lines.  No dynamic scouting or play.) [I disagree, in that spotting in general, on most maps, has "good places," Province no more or no less than most maps.]
  4. excellent crossfires     (It does have excellent crossfires - which overall hurts the map because of the design.  You can't push either flank naturally because you die as soon as you're lit from crossfire.  It creates stale games where everyone just sits and waits for shots.) [We just disagree here.  I am fine with one map with excellent crossfire opportunities.  If half the maps were this way, i might feel very differently.  Also, I do not find the games stale on this map, although 2 very bad teams or 2 rather good teams can slow the map down.]
  5. need for situational and positional awareness/ micro-positioning      ( I disagree.  Once you figure the overall map out it turns into - go here...shoot this...go here.) [Our experience is different here.  On the other hand, this criticism could be levied at lots of maps.]
  6. Something for every tank type      (Not really, in my opinion.  It's fast tanks cross and try to win that flank while slow tanks stay and sit and wait for attackers to try and push.) [I have been lucky enough to play all types of tanks on this map up to tier 8 or so, and have found things to do with those tanks.]
  7. Real opportunities for arty/ teamwork      (I agree about the arty.  This is a map where arty shines because it's a map that promotes camping and sitting.  You push down a flank, you get pinned in and take arty splashes until you die.  You sit back, get lit...take arty till you die.) [I do not feel so cynical about this map.  It does have one arty problem to it, it is difficult for arty to relocate much once the battle develops].
  8. Reinforcing that map knowledge is a big deal in WoT    (In my opinion  this map doesn't really highlight solid map knowledge because it's such a simple map.  You cross, and try to kill your flank before the enemy does it to your team.) [Perhaps I have found more things to do on this map, or seen more things done.  I do agree that an effective crossing force is quite important.]
  9. Beautiful map.    ( It is awesome looking, I agree.  I love the new graphics...just wish WG would make some actually good maps) [I like this map, and want more maps, not fewer.  I commend WG for putting this map back in.  I encourage tier limiting; I think view range saturation is a real problem.]

Mine are in BOLD.

Sgt__Guffy #14 Posted Jul 08 2018 - 03:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3433 battles

Way I look at it we have two more maps in rotation. Not every map will be ideal for all players. That is the point! There are a number of maps I groan at when they come up, especially if I have a vehicle unsuitable for the terrain, but you have to learn to accept it and try to get the best out of it you can. 

Not too much to ask is it?

No, of course it isn't.

Play on! :izmena:

Have fun.

Guffy.

_Gungrave_ #15 Posted Jul 08 2018 - 10:07

Major

• Players
  • 42487 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View PostWeSayNotToday, on Jun 28 2018 - 04:15, said:

At most Province is a tier 6 map because the view ranges for some tier 7s and basically anything tier 8+ just breaks the map.

As for the quality of the map it was crap years ago and its even worse now.

Stonecoldelf #16 Posted Jul 08 2018 - 21:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27472 battles
  • [FLUKE] FLUKE
This map is pure cancer. Only fun for campers and arty. It should be removed.

Crimson_Saber #17 Posted Nov 06 2018 - 15:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14739 battles

View PostStonecoldelf, on Jul 08 2018 - 14:45, said:

This map is pure cancer. Only fun for campers and arty. It should be removed.

QFT send this map to the absolute lowest pits of hell.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users