Introducing "The Chieftain's Hatch"

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

Elepole #21 Posted Sep 08 2011 - 23:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 9423 battles
  • [KISS] KISS
Welcome !!! As a mini-tank-nerd i welcome you senpai !

I just need to know one thing: B1 bis or not B1 bis ?

Chiyeko #22 Posted Sep 08 2011 - 23:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4761 battles
Now this might be interesting :)

As for the love of tanks, no idea I never cared much for them, of course I could be in awe when I saw them, but that was about it and I went back to Star Trek, in the end science fiction is my name and game, but still there is something about tanks that made me crash in here, (also thank CCP for screwing up so badly, without that I doubt I ever would have given this game a look) I think in the end the feeling of might these machines have makes them attractive for me.

Any way looking forward to reading more.

O and any advice, grind for the IS-4 or change targets and go USA heavies? (I am so torn atm)

Ducesettutamen #23 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 00:01

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 8155 battles
I'm throwing out alot of love to a fellow green machine. Glad to have you aboard for your knowledge, but... Your still a lazy tanker.

Love, PBI

Blackhorse_Nine_ #24 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 00:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7870 battles
  • [HHT] HHT
Welcome, Sir. I think that we are comforted by the selection of a Real World Tanker to advise the continuing development of WOT. And so ... We, your brothers, expect great things from you - knowing of course, that when the honeymoon is over, you will be caught in the void between fantasy and the reality that we have argued for.
Good Luck, Captain ... Forge the Thunderbolt! ... (AOAC 6-88)

Ragnokak #25 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 00:50

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6778 battles
  • [L13TH] L13TH

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Sep 08 2011 - 17:31, said:

...“So why tanks?”...

Simple answer:
If you have to ask, an explanation won't do you any good.

SgtGrunt #26 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 01:15

Captain

• Players
  • 11642 battles
"So why tanks?"

Easy, made it so all I had to do was sit back and watch the show.

O_Smiladon #27 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 01:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6152 battles

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Sep 08 2011 - 17:31, said:

How can one not watch in fascination the suspension system of a tank as it rolls over rough ground? It’s like watching the rods and drivewheels of a steam locomotive in motion, a beauty born of function. Who doesn’t dream of running over a car in a tank? (I’ve done it, it’s as fun as you think it is). The_Chieftain

Hay mate, and welcome.

I see by that comment that you would love to see suspension working in W.O.T as well.

Now that you are in the in crowd so to speak. Push for will ya...For us lot.

Regards
O_Smiladon

Wolfguard #28 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 01:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 33221 battles
Being a former Tanker I hear what your saying and "Welcome"

mikel1967 #29 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 01:32

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 24235 battles
hello nicolas,1st,how can you represent a true tanker when you said yourself that you have the greens hanging,you shouldnt be so cocky as we know us tankers havnt fought a suitable opponent since germany lost the warbragging about fighting against ill equiped inferior forces doesnt make you an (expert)sorry,think the job should have went to a german tanker past or present,as they embody the true tankers spirit,no arty support no air support,close your eyes and go

Trolling and insulting people are violations of the forum rules.
3 Day read only ban applied.
Naeron66

BillT #30 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 01:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3
"So why tanks?"

Easy.  You can get further with a kind word and a tank than you can with a kind word alone.

JPKiller #31 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 01:44

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 16103 battles
  • [VET] VET
Anything benefits the community is welcomed. :)

BigWaveSurfer #32 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 02:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 8683 battles
why tanks

i guess if u went back to WWI and tryed 'walking' across no-mans land keeping a good line as u go u might want a land battleship (HMLS)

As1an_OwO #33 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 02:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19671 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
Hey Chief welcome to the forums and congats on the individual thread. A harty meal to you and your "sub"ers of knowledge. also...what do you know?

Hihibob #34 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 02:49

Captain

• Players
  • 3476 battles
A developer who knows something about tanks! The drought is over! :D

BigWaveSurfer #35 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 03:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 8683 battles

View PostHihibob, on Sep 09 2011 - 02:49, said:

A developer who knows something about tanks! The drought is over! :D

maybe he might fill them in on why u slop armour. they seem to think it is just to deflect shot. my poor Hetzer (60mm armour at 60degrees =120mm for flat shot to go though, last time i checked) was holed 3 times in a row by an 'M3'
oh, and welcome by the way :)

BlackSpiralDancer #36 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 03:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 24811 battles

View PostAres_GOW, on Sep 08 2011 - 22:45, said:

First... Thanks for your service.  Second... Welcome, looking forward to your thoughts and opinions. :)

Seconded.

Honorable discharge Ex-Army here(no I was not a tanker :P), hooahh *salute*

weveran #37 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 03:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 7810 battles
M1AI M1A2 or 1A3 Nick?

Had a chance to look over 64's and 72's while 'over there'? - I'd love to hear your perspective of the environs of a Russian Tank over one of your's.

This has parallels back to WW2 as the germans had the nous to identify that crew comfort led to better tank performance and while not largely attributal to the size of german tanks did play a part.

crayon_eater #38 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 03:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11065 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G
Firstly thank you for your service. Secondly welcome to wot.  I hate to be mr. Direct and bypass all the nicety bs. But what are you going to do to help the game progress and reach it's full potential ? Just curious, and if the answer is nothing that's cool too. I just want to know where you stand, and if you see any weakness that could be improved upon.

Ghost_24601 #39 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 04:15

Private

• Players
  • 5073 battles
Chieftain,

I wanted to ask about the "slat" or "cage" armor theory, where vital parts of vehicles or tanks have a "cage over them". I know what it does and i've seen it before, but i wanted to know some history about it. I know the germans started to develop "cage" armor in the late 1930's by Hilter's order, but was it ever further developed it or whether it was use in WWII?

thanks,
~Ghost_24601

typhoonxii #40 Posted Sep 09 2011 - 04:59

Private

• Players
  • 15130 battles
I have to say that the biggest draw to the game for me is not just the tanks, its the era of tanks that the game deals with. The period of time leading up to and including WWII was truly the golden age of tanks in which tank technology evolved from vehichles that were little more than tarctors with armor plate welded to them to purpose built machines of war. Some of the earliest tank designs post WWI were literaly tractors with armor and a gun. The technology evolved so fast and do furiously that two tanks rolling of the production line one after the other could be very diferent vehichles. But more than the technology was the men who fielded these iron coffins in battle. The courage and endurance of tank crews in WWII cannot be over stated. These men endured scalding heat to freezing cold, sometimes in the same day, as well as work schedules that made slave labor look like a vacation just to keep thier machines on the road. Once in battle the average tank was poorly equiped to protect the soft squishy parts that rode inside them. Spalling was common in tanks and could be just as devastating as a penetrating hit. Fire was common as was the problem of ammunition cooking off as a result of a hit or fire. Life smelled of cordite, gasoline, grease and sweat and was a constant battle with fear and exaustion.

Life among tank crews was not created equal. Russian tank designs paid almost no attention to crew safety or comfort. They were slammed together as quickly as they could be and sent to the front with untrained crews and paint that wasnt quite dry yet. In spite of the obvious shortcomings Russian tanks proved to be a real headache for the Germans thanks in no small part to the dedication of the brave and resourceful crews that served in them.

German tanks incorperated many of the latest ideas in tank design in regard to optics, guns and ammo as well as crew safety. The tanks were complicated and delicate in many ways and required a well trained and diciplined crew with extensive knowledge and skill. But life in a German tank was still loud, smelly and uncomfortable and still put the crews at considerable risk of loosing life and limb to even non-penetrating hits. But there is nothing like reading about the legend of the Tiger. A tank that enjoyed clear dominance on every battlefield it layed its tracks upon. Just the word "Tiger tank" struck fear in the hearts and minds of allied tank crews. All it took to alter a generals plan of battle was the mention of the possibility of Tigers in his area.

American tank crews went to Fort Knox Kentucky to learn thier craft and the men that trained them told them repeatedly that they were "equiped with the best tanks in the world." It was a rude shock to many of these tank crews who landed in Europe for the first time just a day or two after the D-Day invasion and as they passed wrecked German tanks on the roads inland they were confronted with the sight of German tank guns "as big as telephone poles." Suddenly the crews of the lowly M4 Shermans realized that the tanks they had were little more than cannon fodder being pushed into the breach. It took guts and skill for the commanders to manage to engage the Germans tank to tank and not get killed. Ganging up when ever they could was an essential part of the Shermans survival. That and learning new tactics of survival was the only thing standing between the crew of a Sherman and an 88mm enema. Many of the tactics learned in WWII by tank crews on all sides are still used today since...well...they worked.

There is a certain romance and nostalgia that goes with playing a game set in the golden age of tanks. No laser range finders. No depleated uranium penetrators. No anti-tank missiles fired from helicopters hovering in the tree tops miles away. Just steel beast versus steel beast with no frills, no lace doilies and no complications.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users