Unicum Guide to Light Tank Tactics and Scouting

light tank light spotting scouting unicum

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

taugrim #1 Posted Jul 01 2018 - 22:04

Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 29428 battles

In this in-depth 39-minute guide video, we review common mistakes and break down effective tactics and tips to help you understand how to play light tanks correctly.

Light tanks have the highest "skill cap" of any class in World of Tanks (WoT), as they are fragile, possess relatively weak guns, and have enough mobility to get the driver into trouble.

What Bad Looks Like
1. Suiscouting / charging recklessly
2. Spawn camping
3. Spotting in areas where spotting can be done by anyone else
4. Overexposing your tank
5. Dumb brawling / poor trading

What Good Looks Like
1. Active scouting smartly
2. Getting early spots + damage
3. Leveraging intervening soft cover
4. Exploiting low-risk opportunities
5. Knowing when to flank
6. Knowing when to back off / run away
7. Keeping your cool when you have support
8. Beware of friendlies who'll get you killed
9. Playing with low HP

Recommended UI Options
1. Settings → General → Enable Expanded Minimap Features → Always: this tracks the last spotted location for every enemy tank
2. Settings → General → View range indicators on the Minimap: check all 3 checkboxes. The first shows the view range circle, which is how far your tank can spot. Note that doesn’t account for enemy camo. The second checkbox shows the max distance (445m) that any tank can theoretically spot. The third checkbox shows the max distance that you will render tanks that have been spotted by an ally

Recommended Equipment
1. For the vast majority of light tanks (aside from the ELC AMX), use Coated Optics
2. For the other 2 slots, typically you want one for gun handling (VStab or GLD) and the other for reload (Rammer). For autoloaders that can't mount Rammer, go with Vents
3. For light tanks around tier 5 that can't get to 445m view range with Optics and Situational Awareness, I have been experimenting with replacing Rammer with Binocs and having good results. This would be regarded as a controversial choice by other Unicums and I want to emphasize that I do this to help out-spot higher-tier tanks, not to sit stationary and be passive for long stretches of time

P.S. this video was something I've wanted to do for a couple years - light tank gameplay is so nuanced - but I knew it would be a TON of work so I kept putting it off. It took several months to collect and catalogue the illustrative footage in the video, so I hope you find it helpful. I'm so relieved to finish it :)

This video is part of my "Road to Unicum" series in which I share what I learned as I progressed towards account Unicum rating (top 1%) with silver ammo only. I talk through how I'm reading the battle as it unfolds and discuss key decisions and mistakes. My hope is that these videos meaningfully help players improve their gameplay.

Playlist With All My Light Tank Reviews and Guides

https://www.youtube....LKwhGMSkh7rvl6L

"Road to Unicum" full guide and FAQs
http://taugrim.com/2015/02/19/road-to-unicum-guide-videos-for-world-of-tanks

Edited by taugrim, Jul 24 2018 - 16:33.

HOTA_CHATON #2 Posted Jul 01 2018 - 22:19

Major

• Players
  • 12650 battles
  • [GOLB] GOLB
People use unicum in some video games (mainly World of Tanks) to describe the most skillful players.
That unicum actually rerolled his accountwhat a scumbag!

Taken straight from the Urban Dictionary, who is the only so called authority that even remotely begins to tell people what a so called unicrum really is.:trollface:

rockbutcher #3 Posted Jul 01 2018 - 22:50

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19453 battles
  • [69CBR] 69CBR

View PostHOTA_CHATON, on Jul 01 2018 - 16:19, said:

People use unicum in some video games (mainly World of Tanks) to describe the most skillful players.

Taken straight from the Urban Dictionary, who is the only so called authority that even remotely begins to tell people what a so called unicrum really is.:trollface:

It's too bad that real life doesn't give us a "do over" to go back and correct the mistakes of the past.  Fortunately, video GAMES do.  I haven't yet, but I'm facing 25k more games to make up for the mistakes of the first 10k.

_PoliticallyIncorrect #4 Posted Jul 02 2018 - 00:59

Captain

• Players
  • 22171 battles

View PostHOTA_CHATON, on Jul 01 2018 - 16:19, said:

He's got quite a lot of battles for a re-roll I must say. 

taugrim #5 Posted Jul 02 2018 - 04:31

Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 29428 battles

View Postrockbutcher, on Jul 01 2018 - 21:50, said:

It's too bad that real life doesn't give us a "do over" to go back and correct the mistakes of the past.  Fortunately, video GAMES do.  I haven't yet, but I'm facing 25k more games to make up for the mistakes of the first 10k.

Haha, being able to re-roll IRL would be crazy. The thing is, people would never stop re-rolling. We make too many mistakes, it's human nature.

For WoT, the stats that really matter are your recent (last 1k), because that reflects your current skill level. Account-level stats are basically for bragging rights.

View Post_PoliticallyIncorrect, on Jul 01 2018 - 23:59, said:

He's got quite a lot of battles for a re-roll I must say. 

This is my original account - this is easily verifiable by looking at the performance of some of my tanks at low-to-mid tiers.

http://wotstats.org/stats/na/taugrim

We all have to start somewhere. I've been working through the learning curve for tens of thousands of battles because I love this game and I want to improve my gameplay.

Edited by taugrim, Jul 02 2018 - 04:41.

taugrim #6 Posted Jul 16 2018 - 18:36

Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 29428 battles

For reference, added this:

Playlist With All My Light Tank Reviews and Guides

https://www.youtube....aLKwhGMSkh7rvl6

oldewolfe #7 Posted Jul 18 2018 - 10:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 19172 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

No LTG Reviews or Guides....????

I know it was a Late Arrival, but if ya feel the Urge....      Otherwise, I watched a Couple of them and I need to watch some more....     But, Thanks for the ones you do Have....

anonym_aTuD26O7NRnh #8 Posted Jul 23 2018 - 20:32

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

Taugrim, 

I don't think you could revisit light tanks and scouting enough. I'm certain that I, as well as others could benefit for more light tank content given the current meta.

taugrim #9 Posted Jul 24 2018 - 06:16

Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 29428 battles

View Postoldewolfe, on Jul 18 2018 - 09:34, said:

No LTG Reviews or Guides....????

I know it was a Late Arrival, but if ya feel the Urge....      Otherwise, I watched a Couple of them and I need to watch some more....     But, Thanks for the ones you do Have....

Funny you should mention the LTG. It was the one Russian light tank between tiers 6-10 that I had miserable luck in. So I didn't review it.

That said, the Russian tanks from 7-10 all play fairly similar, given their poor gun depression and meaningfully armored turrets.

Here are videos on the tiers 8, 9, and 10:

oldewolfe #10 Posted Jul 24 2018 - 10:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 19172 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

I haven't had mine Long, nearing 100 Battles in it....     So far I HAD been Hovering in the 62 to 67% WR Range, only about 20% Survival Rate, but mostly at the End....      Being Blind as it is, I pretty much stopped Scouting in it and just Parked Forward to use the Camo Value and the 85mm and play a Sneaky Medium....

However, this past weekend's Teams had me down to 60% and I managed back to 62....       85% thru a Camo and 6th Sense Crew, Camo Net, Vents, and Optics I get ariund a 43% Camo Value but even that wasn't good enough this Weekend.....       I think once it gets some Good Skills behind it, it should get to be alot more Fun than it already is....

I was originally using this Line as a Second Approach to the 140 until they Added Tier 10's to the Mix....     I played the T100 on the Test Server just for Kicks one night and decided I needed to Finish the Line there as well, that Tanks was a Blast....     I like the German Tier 10 as well so I got the Luchs and Leopard to start that Line.....      Haven't got a Crew in the Leopard yet, but the Luchs cam be Fun when it Works, just need to get a Balance figured out and mine will eventually Work more Often....     lol

I also see you don't have one for the T92 American....     Just got it to have another Option for Practicing....      I will eventually start this Line as well, but for now just working on the Maps, Hiding, and Moving....      Low Powered Gun, but it's Accurate for the most Part...     Put my Locust Crew in there this AM just to see how it did at 41% Camo Value....    The Original Crew I haven't decided yet BiA or Camo and 6th like the LTG, but the Locust Crew is 83% Full Camo.....     First Game went pretty Good, Second wasn't Bad either.....      Looks Promising, but I'd still like to see a BiA Crew in it too and see how it does....         I went with the same Equioment on this one too of Optics, Vents, and a Camo Net, seemed like a Safe Bet for an Unskilled Crew.....

taugrim #11 Posted Jul 24 2018 - 16:40

Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 29428 battles

View Postoldewolfe, on Jul 24 2018 - 09:42, said:

I haven't had mine Long, nearing 100 Battles in it....     So far I HAD been Hovering in the 62 to 67% WR Range, only about 20% Survival Rate, but mostly at the End....      Being Blind as it is, I pretty much stopped Scouting in it and just Parked Forward to use the Camo Value and the 85mm and play a Sneaky Medium....

However, this past weekend's Teams had me down to 60% and I managed back to 62....       85% thru a Camo and 6th Sense Crew, Camo Net, Vents, and Optics I get ariund a 43% Camo Value but even that wasn't good enough this Weekend.....

A couple comments:

1. with any light tank, if you are playing it as a sneaky medium tank, you're playing it incorrectly. This is true even for the Chinese line, which many players regard as mediums with always-on camo
  2. Camo Net is waste in a light tank, because lights have always-on camo (this is a unique class feature). You should be using the mobility to good effect. If you are parked in a bush and have a full Camo crew, your effective camo value should be plenty high. In light tanks, here is the typical equipment layout:
    • Single-shot lights: Optics, Rammer, VStab/GLD
    • Autoloaders: Optics, VStab/GLD, Vents

I should emphasize that for all crew members aside from the Commander, the Camo skill is the priority. For the Commander, Camo is the 2nd most important skill after Sixth Sense. If you have a brand new Commander with 0% skills, obviously take Camo as Sixth Sense doesn't work until you get it to 100%.

I was originally using this Line as a Second Approach to the 140 until they Added Tier 10's to the Mix....     I played the T100 on the Test Server just for Kicks one night and decided I needed to Finish the Line there as well, that Tanks was a Blast....     I like the German Tier 10 as well so I got the Luchs and Leopard to start that Line.....      Haven't got a Crew in the Leopard yet, but the Luchs cam be Fun when it Works, just need to get a Balance figured out and mine will eventually Work more Often....     lol

The German tier 10 light, the Rhm Pzw, is by far the worst of the tier 10 lights. I haven't posted a review yet, but I found it even worse than the Sheridan, and that's saying a lot. The Ru 251 is a solid tank.

I did review the Luchs with its distinctive autocannon. It's terrific, even moreso after the light tank changes in 0.9.18.

I also see you don't have one for the T92 American....

​It's worth saying that I haven't reviewed every light tank in the game, but everything I covered in the 39-min video in the original post is applicable and transferable to any light tank. That was largely the point of the video.

Good luck and cheers!

Edited by taugrim, Jul 24 2018 - 16:44.

taugrim #12 Posted Jul 24 2018 - 16:41

Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 29428 battles

View PostHighProbability, on Jul 23 2018 - 19:32, said:

Taugrim, 

I don't think you could revisit light tanks and scouting enough. I'm certain that I, as well as others could benefit for more light tank content given the current meta.

Agreed!

Light tanks have been a big focus in my "Road to Unicum" series given how high skill cap needed to play them effectively. I adore light tanks, they're the hardest class to play well, and they're so unique in terms of playstyle.

RitualMurder #13 Posted Oct 16 2018 - 02:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 567 battles
  • [-DEV-] -DEV-
Great post thank you....already started to improve my light game play. Going to focus on the FRA autoloaders, seems to force me to keep mobile and from camping as I reload the clip. Just have to learn I can't outclip everybody by any means...1 or 2 shot tanks at most...great advice. Oh yeah have to turn on my in-game sound to hear shots. 

Also tagged with light tank, light, spotting, scouting, unicum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users