Tier X - Why So Much Silver Lost?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

WeatherbyMkV #1 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 02:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5191 battles

I just completed an "all Tier X" random battle in which the outcome is typical.  Typical in that while I scored (Team Score) 4th out of 15, I was still charged 19,415 silver.  Does that mean everyone below me was charged a similar or greater amount? 

We did get defeated, and at the end of the battle my tank got killed.  But my team has been victorious in battle, I finish like halfway down (#7 or #8) and I get charged 10,000 or more silver.

I am shooting standard AP.

I ask this because if this is typical of Tier X battles, how do players afford to play at the Tier X level?  Do they swap gold for silver??

Thank you.

Edited by WeatherbyMkV, Jul 05 2018 - 02:58.

TsarCidron #2 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 02:58

Major

• Players
  • 6750 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM
Its Wargamings attempt to get you to purchase Premium time in bulk.  You want to play those top end tanks, you pay a price.  Either in silver, or in dollars.

Zanarkand_C #3 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 03:12

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28468 battles
It does suck that you spend all that time to get to tier X then can barely afford to even play at that tier. 

Da_Vinci #4 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 03:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36094 battles
  • [PZMOE] PZMOE

I keep a stash of credits for whenever I wanna play tier 10 tanks a bunch. I get it from playing prem tier 8s. The only real solution to this problem of tier 10 game cost is either playing with a premium account, play a bunch of tier 8 games or a significantly higher amount of tier 5 games.

Pick your poison

rockbutcher #5 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 03:16

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18051 battles
  • [69CBR] 69CBR

No offence weatherby, but at your stage in the game...battles played etc., you should probably not be trying to play tier 10 matches a lot.  I'm not much better than you and I avoid them like the plague.

Try to stay hull down, look at your minimap and don't rush.

By the way, I use a Weatherby .300 mag for moose hunting.  12 of them have gone right down with a single shot.  All of the young guys in our crew pull out their .300 win mag rounds to show them off, then I put one of mine on the table and shame them LOL.

Edited by rockbutcher, Jul 05 2018 - 03:18.

Steel2581 #6 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 03:18

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 573 battles
  • [-LHN-] -LHN-
Makes you play lower tiers to grind the credits to play top tier.

RIA1911 #7 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 03:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6004 battles

The game economics are simple , rising costs per repair and ammo as you go up the tiers and  it also seems at times that income levels off slowly too.

1) you buy premiun time to off set the costs maybe even some premium tanks

2) you keep playing mid tiers to offset the cost( this also keeps people playing lower tiers, which actually helps game play) you need to play 2-5 (or more) games at mid tiers to cover your expenses at tier 8/9/10.

Edited by RIA1911, Jul 05 2018 - 03:20.

ThePigSheFlies #8 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 03:25

Major

• Players
  • 63445 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

tier 10s average around ~30k in repair costs

add in consumables (some folks still run large consumables in pubs, either on purpose, or on accident due to having "clan wars load out" 

add on top of that, wargaming feels that 30 people should duke it out on maps smaller than my back yard, in funnels, with over buffed stupor heavy armor and many folks will be forced to run premium ammo as well.

a decent player can break even or even a modest profit in many tier 10s if:

• they make their shots count
  • manage hit points
  • win more often than lose
  • have premium time, and/or boosters

most of the time however, folks feed their tier 10 playing time with strongholds, premium tanks, or both of the above coupled with premium time and/or booster.

looking at your service record, I'm guessing you rarely make a profit.  you appear to have rushed to tier 10, without any regard for mastering the game at any other tier, and you probably have horrible lacking crews compared to most players at tier 10 that have 3-6 perk crews - on top of your unwillingness to fire premium rounds when they are in fact a tool to be used when needed.  that is not intended as an insult by the way, so please do not take it as same.  if your'e having fun, then carry on.

if your question however is rooted in a desire to learn, I would suggest you head on over to twitch, or youtube, and look up one of the many excellent players in this game that streams.   I haven't streamed in a very long time, however, in my forum signature is a link to my twitch profile, from there you can find over 200 talented, and/or entertaining twitch streamers on RU, NA, and EU - many that play a great deal of tier 8-10 game play.

as they used to spam in chat, "GL,HF"

dwaindwarf #9 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 03:58

Major

• Players
  • 31633 battles

View PostSteel2581, on Jul 05 2018 - 12:18, said:

Makes you play lower tiers to grind the credits to play top tier.

always been true  :teethhappy:

JakeTheMystic #10 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 04:02

Captain

• Players
  • 21281 battles
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS

Its the price for being guaranteed at least top tier. 

If you want to make credits, you have to suffer by not being top tier and play some tier 8 premiums like everybody else. 

WeatherbyMkV #11 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 04:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5191 battles

I rushed the tiers, no argument there.

But the answers provided above do clarify that unless one is a very good player, the top tiers cost a lot to play.

Thank you for the replies.

dominator_98 #12 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 04:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 19878 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

The game is essentially pay to play at tier 10. I have a premium account and use the cheap consumables; I can play tier 10 essentially credit-neutral. It’s designed this way for a few reasons:

1. To encourage you to buy premium items with cash.

2. To populate the lower tiers with free-to-play guys grinding credits.

3. Credit income is based off of damage. All other factors being equal, bad players will lose more credits at tier 10 than good players, thus creating a mild skill wall. Impressively bad players can still play tier 10, but it’s gonna take them 5 games at tier 5 (or real money) to pay for it.

AlanPage #13 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 05:28

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14478 battles

Tiers 9 and 10 are uneconomic.

Tiers 6 and 8 are lousy matchmaking, hence all the premiums at those tiers, because otherwise everyone would just stay and play the only two tiers that make sense....

Tiers 5 and 7.

uberdice #14 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 07:00

Major

• Players
  • 24684 battles

Tier economy is structured that way to reduce the number of players playing only high tiers, because that would depopulate mid and low tiers and leave nobody for newer players or players grinding new lines to play with.

Making your player distribution top-heavy only helps retain established players, and their numbers dwindle through natural player attrition anyway, especially for older games like WoT, while doing nothing to draw in newer or intermediate players who need people to play with at their tiers.

dunniteowl #15 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 14:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 21561 battles

View PostZanarkand_C, on Jul 04 2018 - 20:12, said:

It does suck that you spend all that time to get to tier X then can barely afford to even play at that tier. 

Well, the OP didn't spend that much time, to be fair.  And, to the OP, it takes more 'relative' skill to succeed as you go higher up in the tiers.  Most 'average' level players have to finance their tier X play in tiers V-VIII from time to time.  Even so, the more time you spend learning how the game works, the better off you'll be, no matter the tier -- as long as you really do understand the mechanics and can apply that knowledge to the keys on your computer.

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Jul 05 2018 - 14:07.

the_Deadly_Bulb #16 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 18:07

Major

• Players
  • 21744 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostWeatherbyMkV, on Jul 04 2018 - 17:57, said:

I just completed an "all Tier X" random battle in which the outcome is typical.  Typical in that while I scored (Team Score) 4th out of 15, I was still charged 19,415 silver.  Does that mean everyone below me was charged a similar or greater amount?

We did get defeated, and at the end of the battle my tank got killed.  But my team has been victorious in battle, I finish like halfway down (#7 or #8) and I get charged 10,000 or more silver.

I am shooting standard AP.

I ask this because if this is typical of Tier X battles, how do players afford to play at the Tier X level?  Do they swap gold for silver??

Thank you.

http://www.vbaddict.net/gamestatistics/average-net-income

Read it and weep OP.

T-X = lowest credit income per match, average income for a Heavy is -27k

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Jul 05 2018 - 18:08.

WeatherbyMkV #17 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 19:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5191 battles

I was provided with a "rental tank", a Tier VIII T26E5, several weeks ago.  I noticed that it did earn a lot of silver, so after having read the replies here, I thought I would "bite the bullet" and cough up the $ to buy it when the rental period ended. 

The rental period ended today, and the tank is in my garage, but is not playable.  But, the "purchase" option is also not available.  When I try to purchase the tank, I see a notation that states "Financial Transaction Unavailable".

Does anybody know why that is?  The other rental tank, the tier VII PantherM10, is available for purchase, but I don't want it.

Thank you for any info.

Dogsoldier6 #18 Posted Jul 05 2018 - 23:07

Major

• Players
  • 57595 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

Weatherby, just some advice................

At your level of games played you are actually fighting with almost both hands tied behind your back, in anything tier 8, or above.

1) Your crews are woefully inadequate, any player worth his salt is running, at least, crews with 2-3 full perk/skills, at at tier X you can bet they are a full 3-4 perk/skill crew.

2) You, yourself, are woefully unprepared for tier Xs. This game has a very steep learning curve and one skips it to their own detriment.

3) You haven't taken the time needed to learn the tanks, again because you have rushed up the tiers, so your overall knowledge on how to deal with them is inadequate.

I went over your hard stats, and tanks driven, you need to drop back to tiers 5-6 and get good with those tanks BEFORE you venture back into tier 8+. You need to maintain the following, minimum hard stats, in a tier BEFORE moving onto the next higher tiers.

1) Hit Ratio, around 75%

2) Damage Ratio around .90

3) Kill Ratio around .90

And these numbers are needed just to be competent at that tier level, just competent.

Compared to tier 5-7 tanks tier 10 tanks are just plain deadly. You can make a mistake in tier 5-6 and you will probably survive the error. At tier 10 make a mistake and you'll be lucky if you survive the error. This makes it a totally different atmosphere to drive ones tanks in.

To answer your question on credit earning/loss at tier X. If you want to have any hope of making credits, at tier X you need to do the following............

1) Win the battle.

2) Deal out more damage then your tank has.

3) Suffer very little damage.

4) Maintain a premium account, while not a guarantee of making credits it does mitigate the losses you can suffer.

Don't do 1-3 and you ARE going to lose credits.

Myself I came to the following conclusion a long time ago, and long before I got my first tier X. Basically I decided I needed to STOP buying tanks for a bit, drive the ones I really like, and make good credits in, and build up a really big credit balance. At the same time, while doing this, I trained a ton of crews, and threw them in the barracks for later deployment. This move, by me, made the credit crunch a non-issue and the search for a good crew no longer a problem. I am glad I did it. At present I have over 32 million credits, and well trained crews in almost all my active tanks, which is around 130 tanks.

It is worth the effort in the long run.

Good hunting sir................

WeatherbyMkV #19 Posted Jul 06 2018 - 02:04

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5191 battles

View PostDogsoldier6, on Jul 05 2018 - 23:07, said:

Weatherby, just some advice................

At your level of games played you are actually fighting with almost both hands tied behind your back, in anything tier 8, or above.

1) Your crews are woefully inadequate, any player worth his salt is running, at least, crews with 2-3 full perk/skills, at at tier X you can bet they are a full 3-4 perk/skill crew.

2) You, yourself, are woefully unprepared for tier Xs. This game has a very steep learning curve and one skips it to their own detriment.

3) You haven't taken the time needed to learn the tanks, again because you have rushed up the tiers, so your overall knowledge on how to deal with them is inadequate.

I went over your hard stats, and tanks driven, you need to drop back to tiers 5-6 and get good with those tanks BEFORE you venture back into tier 8+. You need to maintain the following, minimum hard stats, in a tier BEFORE moving onto the next higher tiers.

1) Hit Ratio, around 75%

2) Damage Ratio around .90

3) Kill Ratio around .90

And these numbers are needed just to be competent at that tier level, just competent.

Compared to tier 5-7 tanks tier 10 tanks are just plain deadly. You can make a mistake in tier 5-6 and you will probably survive the error. At tier 10 make a mistake and you'll be lucky if you survive the error. This makes it a totally different atmosphere to drive ones tanks in.

To answer your question on credit earning/loss at tier X. If you want to have any hope of making credits, at tier X you need to do the following............

1) Win the battle.

2) Deal out more damage then your tank has.

3) Suffer very little damage.

4) Maintain a premium account, while not a guarantee of making credits it does mitigate the losses you can suffer.

Don't do 1-3 and you ARE going to lose credits.

Myself I came to the following conclusion a long time ago, and long before I got my first tier X. Basically I decided I needed to STOP buying tanks for a bit, drive the ones I really like, and make good credits in, and build up a really big credit balance. At the same time, while doing this, I trained a ton of crews, and threw them in the barracks for later deployment. This move, by me, made the credit crunch a non-issue and the search for a good crew no longer a problem. I am glad I did it. At present I have over 32 million credits, and well trained crews in almost all my active tanks, which is around 130 tanks.

It is worth the effort in the long run.

Good hunting sir................

With all due respect sir, I acknowledge that I haven't "earned the privilege" of playing in the higher tiers. 

I get it.  I haven't "paid my dues."

But, I got bored with playing in the lower tiers, and even though I often (but not always) score poorly in the higher tiers, the game is more interesting and enjoyable to me when I can play tanks in different tiers.  You'll be relieved to know I still play my Tier II M2 because I like the auto-cannon, so it is a fun tank to play.

I realized very early on that this attitude of playing simply for enjoyment causes resentment among some veteran players.  They accuse us "noobs" of all kinds of things...I thought I heard it all, but  now 10 months after downloading this game, I still hear the vitriol, but I also find a lot of it amusing.  It keeps me aware of the culture we are living in.

Besides, if it wasn't for us stupid, incompetent players, who could the "great" players blame their losses on?  Certainly not themselves...

So we serve a purpose.

By the way, if an idiot like me playing in the upper tiers (and apparently along with a lot of other idiots) is interfering with another player's livelihood, and his or her ability to feed and clothe their children, please let me know, and I will cease and desist.  I was under the impression this was a "video game", but I could be wrong.

I appreciate the information (which is scarce to come by in the game rules and wiki) in your reply and the considered replies above. 

And I would still be grateful if someone could tell me why the game will not allow me to buy a T26E5...??

Edited by WeatherbyMkV, Jul 06 2018 - 05:05.

Greyhound_2014 #20 Posted Jul 06 2018 - 02:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 802 battles

i think the rentialperod is over but you can get it in the prenium shop. i own a few tier8 prenium tanks and take them for a spin ever so often. biggest reason is most of them are rare tanks so get them when there on sale. what the unicums are saying is that  your at a disadvantage in the higher tiers because your skill leval and crews are not real good. that is very true. BUT....  They wont seem to understand is that its no better in the lower tiers were the seal clubbers are at. ( best tanks and equpment with high skill crews going after low skilled players with bad equipped tanks and no skill crews )

My suggestion is play the way you want to play. Have fun its just a video game not life like it is to some players. also I dontplay much on weekends and events because the MM sucks bad. Lucky to get a win...

Edited by Greyhound_2014, Jul 06 2018 - 02:28.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users