53 replies to this topic

Chad_D_Thunderglock #21 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 18:24

Captain

• Players
  • 23347 battles

View PostNunya_000, on Jul 11 2018 - 18:08, said:

That funny, as GeForce themselves recommend a minimum of 500 watts

https://www.geforce..../specifications

While it can certainly run ok on only 450 watts, that does not mean that there will not be issues.  From personal experience, I agree with the review that I posted in the thread above.....a minimum of 600 watts.

They post requirements for idiots that buy $19.99 white box specials, same as all those other PSU calculators. 

blagger #22 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 18:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 30054 battles
  • [I-U-D] I-U-D
I always run on a min of 750 watt psu and buy test u can never skimp on it a psu or it will cost u in the long run been there done that :) many years ago

Hurk #23 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 18:40

Major

• Players
  • 53022 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

sigh, the thread that wont go where its supposed to be. 

1. integrity check WoT. 

2. reinstall directX. 

3. use a 3D test tool to verify your card isnt dieing. 

4. check your windows event logs for errors. if your video card shuts down to power/heat problems, there will be an event logged. 

5. post on the support forums.

almost forgot: 2a. reinstall your video drivers, using the "CLEAN INSTALL" option, after downloading a fresh copy of the driver. 

Edited by Hurk, Jul 11 2018 - 18:41.

Nunya_000 #24 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 18:46

Major

• Players
  • 21072 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostAbsolutely_Degenerate, on Jul 11 2018 - 09:24, said:

They post requirements for idiots that buy $19.99 white box specials, same as all those other PSU calculators. 

Well, of course they do.....and they always provide extra screws for things that need to be assembled as well.  :facepalm:

/s

Skimp on the wattage of a power supply and you will often regret it.

Chad_D_Thunderglock #25 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 19:08

Captain

• Players
  • 23347 battles

View PostNunya_000, on Jul 11 2018 - 18:46, said:

Well, of course they do.....and they always provide extra screws for things that need to be assembled as well.  :facepalm:

/s

Skimp on the wattage of a power supply and you will often regret it.

I don't disagree with you, however what something needs to run and what most people buy are two separate things. Note I said "quality" 450W. ITX is all the rage these days and the 450W SFX units from Corsair, Silverstone, FSP, etc are all quite capable of running a 1070 or 1080. 

Anyways, this issue is one with WoT specifically and has nothing to do with power supplies. I had it happening constantly for about 2 weeks but it seems to have gone away with the last micropatch for me. 

Worland #26 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 22:16

Major

• Players
  • 16766 battles
You don't need uber high wattage power supplies anymore. Your typical i5/i7, with everything in the machine spun up, may use 125W. The actual power requirements of the newer graphics cards are pretty low (60W-100W). You can easily run a machine with a new GPU and the stock 300W-350W power supply now days.

The minimum recommended power supply by the manufacturers take in account every machine out there. If you're running a 10 year old media center, yeah, you'll need a big ole PS to feed that dual core monster under the hood and a GPU.

strYker555 #27 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 22:38

Captain

• Players
  • 36326 battles
Was having that problem also, with my brand new 6gb GTX 1060. Never had this problem with my old Radeon 270X. Seems it was a Windows Update that caused it, a newer driver from Nvidia fixed it for me.

Edited by strYker555, Jul 11 2018 - 22:39.

Hurk #28 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:15

Major

• Players
  • 53022 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PoststrYker555, on Jul 11 2018 - 14:38, said:

Was having that problem also, with my brand new 6gb GTX 1060. Never had this problem with my old Radeon 270X. Seems it was a Windows Update that caused it, a newer driver from Nvidia fixed it for me.

side note on this. the windows "updates" (1803 being the most current release) ARENT UPDATES. they reinstall windows from scratch, resetting all your drivers to crappy microsoft updates versions which are completely un-optimized. 

any time you get a new release of windows as part of updates, you should reinstall all critical drivers. (chipset, audio and video) 

Wtornado #29 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 03:29

Captain

• Players
  • 31517 battles

View PostxNocturnalx, on Jul 05 2018 - 09:30, said:

It just started last week, 

I don't know what's causing it. i've read many forums and did pretty much eveything. 

i've tried with and without any mods.

reinstalled wot game, cleared cache.

reinstalled graphic card, did full clean install. using DDU then installed latest graphic card driver. and still getting this problems.. tried putting setting in game to different low and high. and still having game freeze/crash in middle of game.   

it keeps giving me this error message:

"A video card error has occured.

This error is usually caused by the graphics driver crashing; try updating the drivers,

check the video card setting or restarting the game."

my rig is

i7 6700k

EVGA 1080ti

1600 GB ram 

1tb SSD

G-Sync monitor 144hz refresh rate

there is no way my pc can't handle it.. i've been playing this game for over 3 years and never had this error message. and i'm playing other games with no crashing problems. please if anyone know how to fix this any solutions would help. 

The WoT engine is too old for such a new vid card.

Put your GTX 260 back in your computer.

Hurk #30 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 03:37

Major

• Players
  • 53022 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostWtornado, on Jul 11 2018 - 19:29, said:

The WoT engine is too old for such a new vid card.

Put your GTX 260 back in your computer.

doesnt support directx 11, which the game now uses.

KnightOfEris #31 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 04:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11562 battles

View PostWorland, on Jul 11 2018 - 22:16, said:

You don't need uber high wattage power supplies anymore. Your typical i5/i7, with everything in the machine spun up, may use 125W. The actual power requirements of the newer graphics cards are pretty low (60W-100W). You can easily run a machine with a new GPU and the stock 300W-350W power supply now days.

The minimum recommended power supply by the manufacturers take in account every machine out there. If you're running a 10 year old media center, yeah, you'll need a big ole PS to feed that dual core monster under the hood and a GPU.

Wattage is misleading, in the end it's about how many amps of current the PSU can deliver on the 12 Volt rail.

Hurk #32 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 04:31

Major

• Players
  • 53022 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostKnightOfEris, on Jul 11 2018 - 20:17, said:

Wattage is misleading, in the end it's about how many amps of current the PSU can deliver on the 12 Volt rail.

correct, and thats why the typically recommend a larger than needed PSU, becuase the low end models will not always safely deliver the needed amps. (and trust me, the disasters that result are no fun)

if you want to purchase CHEAP PSUs, then by all means, keep getting those ~$50 750w+ monsters with loud fans, etc. 

but if you want to get a proper PSU that is nice and quiet and safe to use, then learn the good brands. 

quick and dirty cover: https://www.quora.co...-is-best-for-PC

eisen1973 #33 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 07:09

Major

• Players
  • 57344 battles
  • [_B-Z_] _B-Z_

View PostAbsolutely_Degenerate, on Jul 11 2018 - 11:57, said:

Stop spreading false info. A 1070 will run fine on a quality 450W unit. 

This problem has nothing to do with a PSU, if it did the system would hard shutdown during games or other heavy load tasks not give you an error about video drivers. This bug is directly related to the Windows 10 1803 patch and Wot in the 1.0+ version, I've seen it on several different systems now that all play other games (much more demanding titles) with ease. The message is not generated by Windows but by the game client itself when it crashes.  

I run Windows 7 Home PRemium and have this problem, so I doubt it's a Windows 10 issue.

xNocturnalx #34 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 08:52

Private

• -Players-
  • 911 battles

k let me be clear, instead of all the assumptions. I'm NOT using SLI and my PSU is EVGA 850 G3. its barely just a year old. I've been playing this game since past 3 years now. Even after this new HD map was released, it was still running fine.. just started happening like 2 weeks ago. and even now i'm playing like other triple A games with very high settings. without any crash or error/ freezing etc messages. ie CS-GO, COD, star craft 2, Witcher, Diablo3, Tera and few others. None of them crashing and or giving me any error messages.. and they all able to run with pretty high if not max setting with fps over 120+. and and like some of u said this happens when i think but not sure, when i had window update just few days before.. then this started happening.. but i'm not sure if this is caused by window update or not.. cause after when i did the window updates i didn't play for few days. and when i started playing, 1st few battles it didn't crash or give me this error messages.. only few games in then this started happening.. 

I have fully used DDU and fully cleaned out the driver then reinstalled fully new version.. etc booted restart etc, fully deleted the wot cache files, no mods nothing.. and still crashing. i did do a run check and no issues found. 

i don't believe its video card broken or psu issues..or else i wouldn't be able to run other games or other stuff properly. 

ColonelShakes #35 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 10:08

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12422 battles
  • [CDN] CDN

View PostBlasFemy, on Jul 11 2018 - 17:47, said:

The Microsloth update hosed my computer so bad it would not boot up. I ended up getting a new one.:girl:

I have never seen this happen to any of the PCs I have owned, must be a problem with how you administer yours.  Sorry to hear it.  It is mostly automated now yet you still managed to muck it up.

ColonelShakes #36 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 10:10

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12422 battles
  • [CDN] CDN

View PostHurk, on Jul 12 2018 - 04:31, said:

correct, and thats why the typically recommend a larger than needed PSU, becuase the low end models will not always safely deliver the needed amps. (and trust me, the disasters that result are no fun)

Which disaster exactly ? 

Nunya_000 #37 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:17

Major

• Players
  • 21072 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostHurk, on Jul 11 2018 - 19:31, said:

if you want to purchase CHEAP PSUs, then by all means, keep getting those ~$50 750w+ monsters with loud fans, etc. 

but if you want to get a proper PSU that is nice and quiet and safe to use, then learn the good brands. 

^^This 100%^^

View PostColonelShakes, on Jul 12 2018 - 01:10, said:

Which disaster exactly ? 

Chernobyl, Three Mile Is land, and the Titanic disasters were all caused by inadequate PSUs  :teethhappy:

Signs of a PSU issue:

Game crashes, video cards stops working, even your computer rebooting on it's own.

KnightOfEris #38 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 21:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11562 battles

View PostxNocturnalx, on Jul 12 2018 - 08:52, said:

k let me be clear, instead of all the assumptions. I'm NOT using SLI and my PSU is EVGA 850 G3. its barely just a year old. I've been playing this game since past 3 years now. Even after this new HD map was released, it was still running fine.. just started happening like 2 weeks ago. and even now i'm playing like other triple A games with very high settings. without any crash or error/ freezing etc messages. ie CS-GO, COD, star craft 2, Witcher, Diablo3, Tera and few others. None of them crashing and or giving me any error messages.. and they all able to run with pretty high if not max setting with fps over 120+. and and like some of u said this happens when i think but not sure, when i had window update just few days before.. then this started happening.. but i'm not sure if this is caused by window update or not.. cause after when i did the window updates i didn't play for few days. and when i started playing, 1st few battles it didn't crash or give me this error messages.. only few games in then this started happening.. 

I have fully used DDU and fully cleaned out the driver then reinstalled fully new version.. etc booted restart etc, fully deleted the wot cache files, no mods nothing.. and still crashing. i did do a run check and no issues found. 

i don't believe its video card broken or psu issues..or else i wouldn't be able to run other games or other stuff properly. 

Ok, so you ruled out the PSU, good. This looks like an nvidia driver/WoT issue, dunno if you already tried rolling back to an older driver, but that's what I would try next.

Edited by KnightOfEris, Jul 12 2018 - 21:36.

strYker555 #39 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 22:14

Captain

• Players
  • 36326 battles

View PostHurk, on Jul 11 2018 - 22:31, said:

Used to underestimate the importance of a good PSU, until I started to buy more capable video cards and motherboards. Bought cheap 500W PSU and it literally burnt out, got another one this time a 600W from another manufacturer and it was also toast after a while. Learned my lesson and got a proper EVGA 600W 80 Bronze PSU back in 2015, running like a charm.

Hurk #40 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 03:11

Major

• Players
  • 53022 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostColonelShakes, on Jul 12 2018 - 02:10, said:

Which disaster exactly ? 

if you are lucky, and have a good video card (unlikely since you skimp on the power supply) then the driver will detect an underload condition and turn off 3D on the card. this will be recorded by windows as a driver crash, and an examination of the crash codes will bear out "power problem". 

if you are unlucky, then this list in order of severity:

common:

1. random game crashes without pattern except possible times of high GPU. 

2. random OS crashes during gaming. 

3. random reboots while gaming. 

uncommon:

4. disk corruption.

5. PSU fails safely. (no damage)

6. Motherboard failure due to power fluctuations. 

7. CPU failure due to power fluctuations. 

8. video card failure due to power fluctuations. 

rare:

9. complete system failure due to short in PSU and high voltage being fed into the system. 

very rare:

10. fire in the PSU. (cheap PSUs also cheap out on protection logic so do catch fire)

11. PSU explosion + fire. (most fun here, only seen this once in 30+ years) 

one more note. overloading a PSU is a progressive failure. it will fail eventually. its not like you get lucky and got the one PSU thats stable, its just you have a PSU thats lasting longer before it fails. in some cases, that may be longer than you need that PSU. but you are using it unsafely regardless.

True high quality PSUs often outlast the connections they have. i actually have AT and earlier ATX power supplies i retired while they were still working just fine because the older specifications simply lacked the 4+4 pin motherboard connections or the 20+4 connections, or PCIE, etc. 

While they do allow some cable conversions and i did use those for a few years, at some point it was easier to upgrade to a more compatible PSU. 

not to mention, the modern 80% plus gold or platinum rated units are a lot more efficiant. 

Edited by Hurk, Jul 13 2018 - 03:16.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users