The Ghost Shell Problem

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

bennyjw98 #1 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 03:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 8150 battles
  • [WAFFE] WAFFE
You know, I will often not say anything about weird stuff in the game, or things that only happen once in a while, but sometimes there are just exceptional circumstances and instances that simply cannot be ignored.

Just watch my clip here to see what I am getting at:

Either that T25/2's mantlet is a portal to another dimension, or I must have fired a cotton wad at it.

A lot of us already know about ghost shells, and they have become ever-more common since 1.0, to the point of annoyance or of critical, game-changing shots being total busts.

But when will Wargaming ever do something about this widespread issue?
You know this is one of many problems in the game right now but why do you do nothing about it!?

The_Illusive_Man #2 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 04:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 12077 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
Report it to WG support. They will fix it in 2 years.

MCBAIN4EVER #3 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 04:04

Captain

• Players
  • 13167 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO
You missed. You are seeing the tracer behind the turret there.

Staz211 #4 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 04:20

Major

• Players
  • 23791 battles

I'm also normally skeptical when people come to the forums whining about crazy bugs and such, but I can honestly say that 6th sense and spotting have been noticably out of wack/broken since 1.0. I've also experienced more "ghost shells" post 1.0 than I have in my previous 20,000+ games. 

TL/DR: normally I'd say it's explainable, but post 1.0 anything is possible. 

IndignantMapleBacon #5 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 05:15

Major

• Players
  • 24002 battles
  • [CDN-T] CDN-T

View PostMCBAIN4EVER, on Jul 11 2018 - 04:04, said:

agree, right over his turret...

Hurk #6 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 05:25

Major

• Players
  • 50186 battles
  • [KGR] KGR
post the replay please so we can follow the shell. 

Knagar #7 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 11:22

Captain

• Players
  • 20278 battles

View PostMCBAIN4EVER, on Jul 10 2018 - 22:04, said:

I'm inclined to agree, if he would post the replay, or had followed the shell himself and given a little more proof. From here it looked like a miss with more a bug of the trader shining through.

Though I don't doubt ghost shells, I've seen more than enough questionable shells. This just seems like a super close miss. 

CabbageMechanic #8 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 13:35

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 7855 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
In my experience (having reviewed several hundred replays/videos of ghost shells), they are caused by packet loss misrepresenting a tank position 100% of the time.  Packet loss can occur without an extreme ping jump, and unfortunately, anything online is going to occasionally have some burbles caused by imperfect information transmission.  

Although there was the one guy who managed to shoot between the hull and gun shield of a WT Pz. IV back in the day, that was quite the thing to see.

Edited by CabbageMechanic, Jul 11 2018 - 13:37.

Bavor #9 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 15:15

Major

• Players
  • 30494 battles

View PostMCBAIN4EVER, on Jul 10 2018 - 22:04, said:

Why would Wargaming think its appropriate to draw a tracer behind an object where it shouldn't be visible?

"Working as intended?"

blagger #10 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 15:20

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 27948 battles
  • [I-U-D] I-U-D

I didn't see anything but a big miss. a ghost shell to me is when u fire and see nothing which happens now and then to me and I run a 1080ti on max settings so its not my end lol

Deputy276 #11 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 15:29

Major

• Players
  • 18722 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostCabbageMechanic, on Jul 11 2018 - 06:35, said:

In my experience (having reviewed several hundred replays/videos of ghost shells), they are caused by packet loss misrepresenting a tank position 100% of the time.  Packet loss can occur without an extreme ping jump, and unfortunately, anything online is going to occasionally have some burbles caused by imperfect information transmission.  

Although there was the one guy who managed to shoot between the hull and gun shield of a WT Pz. IV back in the day, that was quite the thing to see.

Quite true and probably what the problem is with the game right now. I know I frequently experience lag and latency since WG released 1.0. Is WG going to blame the players again like they did a few years back when it ended up being the cheesy servers they were using? Is WG aware of this problem (there are numerous posts on the forum about it) and are they going to do anything about it in the near future, or are we going to keep getting the "show us the video or it didn't happen" responses or the "it's your internet connection" when we know it isn't by checking with Ping Plotter?

KRZYBooP #12 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 16:09

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 2803 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Postbennyjw98, on Jul 10 2018 - 20:51, said:

You know, I will often not say anything about weird stuff in the game, or things that only happen once in a while, but sometimes there are just exceptional circumstances and instances that simply cannot be ignored.

Either that T25/2's mantlet is a portal to another dimension, or I must have fired a cotton wad at it.

A lot of us already know about ghost shells, and they have become ever-more common since 1.0, to the point of annoyance or of critical, game-changing shots being total busts.

You know this is one of many problems in the game right now but why do you do nothing about it!?

Doing my best to line up the same shot in Tanks.gg its possible that shell normilization took affect. Now that one spot wasn't easy to find but considering that you shot was traveling upward-ish from a distance and hit the upper part of the mantlet a ricochet/ bounce is very well what happened and not a ghost shell. 

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #13 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 17:04

Major

• Players
  • 73520 battles
I get lots of ghost shots, and I have to say that doesn't even come close to illustrating one of those. That clearly went right over his head, and in any case you would never have penned if it hit. I would never have taken that shot in your tank, the T25/2 turret is remarkably bouncy. I would have waited until he showed his side turret or his hull.

Insanefriend #14 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 18:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 36199 battles
Query to the mods out there, do you think you'd get less reports of ghost shells and the like if replays had a easy to use free cam mode?  I know there are mods for it, but having it built into the game for replays would be nice.  As it's quite hard sometimes to tell where a shell went if your camera is stuck far away at funny angles.

Hurk #15 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 18:57

Major

• Players
  • 50186 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostCabbageMechanic, on Jul 11 2018 - 05:35, said:

in my 50,000 battles, i have seen sync issues once. (in the replay, you would see the "sparks fly" about 1 meter to the right of where the shell tracer was, it was obvious my client did not have the correct position for that dead tank that i was hitting)

i have seen a ghost shell once. i fired cleanly through a stationary SPG. 

here is my shell... coming out the back of said SPG: 

Spoiler

Absolutely_Degenerate #16 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 19:10

Captain

• Players
  • 21538 battles

WG will deflect as usual, they happen so constantly now that its just something you get used to. 

KRZYBooP #17 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 21:03

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 2803 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostAbsolutely_Degenerate, on Jul 11 2018 - 12:10, said:

WG will deflect as usual, they happen so constantly now that its just something you get used to. 

That video looks more questionable. Have you submitted a ticket to support with a replay? 

SpamNCan #18 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 21:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 11712 battles
  • [TAW] TAW

View Postbennyjw98, on Jul 11 2018 - 02:51, said:

You need to keep a better eye and feel for dropped packets as the WoT guys says. Just because you have a great ping doesn't mean you aren't dropping packets. The problem is still evident daily, usually during high peaks times, and WG has no resolution for this issue. You'll need to get a feel for it, and when you are dropping packets.. log off and wait an hour or two.

bennyjw98 #19 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 21:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 8150 battles
  • [WAFFE] WAFFE

View PostKRZYBooP, on Jul 11 2018 - 10:09, said:

Doing my best to line up the same shot in Tanks.gg its possible that shell normilization took affect. Now that one spot wasn't easy to find but considering that you shot was traveling upward-ish from a distance and hit the upper part of the mantlet a ricochet/ bounce is very well what happened and not a ghost shell. 

Well the problem is that I know that it wasn't a hit/bounce at all, otherwise I wouldn't be complaining. It just passed through the mantlet on my screen without doing anything or me getting a notification of a hit.
If the replays would have built-in freecam controls, that would be fantastic and I could look into it myself to confirm it passing through, otherwise I just get a potentially terrible angle to look from. 

I mean, I could share the replay,
but you would have to look at the chat of me talking to someone I know that randomly got matched with me (but I didn't want to plat with him), as well as my entertaining of the team at the beginning of the match (morale) with the relation of rain making corn, corn making high fructose corn syrup, and corn syrup making ketchup, with which I will eat the enemy tanks with.

MCBAIN4EVER #20 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 22:37

Captain

• Players
  • 13167 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

View PostAbsolutely_Degenerate, on Jul 11 2018 - 18:10, said:

The shot went under the barrel and above the hull, that's one lucky scout.

Watch out that APCR has more shell velocity and can confuse your aiming and your sight.

If it was a ghost shell, looks like a tracking shot.

Edited by MCBAIN4EVER, Jul 11 2018 - 22:38.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users