When is Frontline coming back?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Mikosah #21 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 23:23

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

The prediction I made a few months back was that the temporary nature of FL was deliberate, so that if it didn't work out they could pull the plug and not make a scene. But if it was successful, they could immediately reinstate it and ride that wave for as long as it lasts. Yet here we are, high and dry. 

So now I'll make a new prediction- that if anything WG saw that FL was too successful and if it were ever a permanent addition it would render the randoms obsolete (having it regularly alternate tiers could have gotten the best of both worlds, but I digress). So perhaps they may see fit to tease us with brief FL events once every few months, but that's all we're getting.

DrWho_ #22 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 23:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16009 battles

View PostSkaerKrow, on Jul 11 2018 - 03:54, said:

Do we have an official date/window for when Frontline will return to the game? It's the only thing that WG has done right in the last four or five years, and the longer that it's gone, the more I realize that it's the only mode that I still want to play. Thanks for any relevant info. 

The way it was I don't care if ever comes back, I quickly lost interest and went back to randoms

Because of there was hardly any incentive to win tons of people just sat around and tried to farm damage, it was a stat padders dream. No thx

Flarvin #23 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 00:28

Major

• Players
  • 52341 battles

View PostDrWho_, on Jul 11 2018 - 17:26, said:

The way it was I don't care if ever comes back, I quickly lost interest and went back to randoms

Because of there was hardly any incentive to win tons of people just sat around and tried to farm damage, it was a stat padders dream. No thx

I do agree that farm damage mentality of FL, got old. 

Avalon304 #24 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:25

Major

• Players
  • 20335 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

I hear rumors that every time someone asks this question WG delays it another week.

~~~

Seriously... if it doesnt change and just become a farm simulator where people have no incentive to win it can stay gone. It was boring, watching people complain because the game was going too fast and they couldnt farm credits even when they were clearly losing. Losing needs to carry penalties, like 0 credits gained.

Frontlines wasnt a good game mode. And if youre saying it was ask yourself this question: If it came back exactly the same, but all earnings potential was cut by 75%, would you still play it? If your answer is 'no' it wasnt actually a good game mode.

Edited by Avalon304, Jul 12 2018 - 06:46.

da_Rock002 #25 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 7950 battles

Yeah....…..

TIER 6 Frontline...………    yeah, now that'd be fun.    And who hasn't got a few tanks for it?   or would be glad to buy one or two for it?

madogthefirst #26 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:34

Major

• Players
  • 23474 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
The only part of that mode I liked was the insane amount of credits you can make.

Zuikakoo #27 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 03:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18742 battles
I loved frontline it wasn't perfect but wow was it fun.   It inspired me to finally get into soviet Mediums.    I was so ready to hate it after grand battles, that silly battle royale thing, and Rampage, and with all my effort I couldn't make myself hate it.

Zaikadi #28 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 05:51

Captain

• Players
  • 25451 battles
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY
I loved it. I feel sorry for you guys that hate everything. Life must be depressing for you.

SkaerKrow #29 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 06:03

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17301 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Jul 11 2018 - 20:25, said:

I hear rumors that every time someone asks this question WG tacks delays it another week.

~~~

Seriously... if it doesnt change and just become a farm simulator where people have no incentive to win it can stay gone. It was boring, watching people complain because the game was going too fast and they couldnt farm credits even when they were clearly losing. Losing needs to carry penalties, like 0 credits gained.

Frontlines wasnt a good game mode. And if youre saying it was ask yourself this question: If it came back exactly the same, but all earnings potential was cut by 75%, would you still play it? If your answer is 'no' it wasnt actually a good game mode.

I give exactly two [edited]about credit income. I enjoyed having a game mode where the battles were drawn out and more involved than Randoms, on a map that often felt like an actual battlefield instead of a MOBA clone, where the MM shenanigans of 3/5/7 were nowhere to be found. 

SpamNCan #30 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 16:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 12623 battles
The average player count increased by several thousand during the event... nuff said.

DrWho_ #31 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 17:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16009 battles

View PostZaikadi, on Jul 12 2018 - 05:51, said:

I loved it. I feel sorry for you guys that hate everything. Life must be depressing for you.

I don't hate everything, I have some very good reasons on why I disliked FL in the form we were given it. If I "hated" this game I would, unlike some people on this forum, just leave and find something else to spend my time/money on

SpamNCan #32 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 18:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 12623 battles

View PostDrWho_, on Jul 12 2018 - 16:55, said:

I don't hate everything, I have some very good reasons on why I disliked FL in the form we were given it. If I "hated" this game I would, unlike some people on this forum, just leave and find something else to spend my time/money on

Perfect opinion, YOU hate it so NO ONE should be able to play it. Small minded.

DrWho_ #33 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 18:53

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16009 battles

View PostSpamNCan, on Jul 12 2018 - 18:35, said:

Perfect opinion, YOU hate it so NO ONE should be able to play it. Small minded.

If that's what you read into my posts then there's really nothing I can say to convince you otherwise, happy tanking

BillT #34 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 19:08

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27049 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostSenorDucKK, on Jul 10 2018 - 22:55, said:

the main mode? come on.. imagine the main mode allowing constant respawns(careless plays because i get another life!) and also you can leave your sector if your sector is failing (happened constantly it seemed)

The easy answer to that is, "I imagine it would be just like FL -- which was enormously popular."

I don't recall seeing more careless play in FL than I normally see in randoms.  And besides, why should I care if other players are careless?  That just gives careful ol' me an advantage.  And the ability to leave a sector added an element of operational strategy, which I kind of liked.  "OK, the defenders have created an impregnable strongpoint here.  Well done, them.  Now let's bypass that and get the attack moving again."

After all, the attacker is supposed to need a 3:2 advantage in real combat.  I could argue that FL should have given the attacking team 45 players instead of 30.   But allowing them to move between zones and concentrate forces that way, faster than the defender could respond to them, lets them achieve a local superiority, and it seemed to work pretty well.

What I'd like to see is a strongholds mode with pre-set teams.  Imagine having one player calling the overall strategy.  "I want all the heavies to concentrate in A, and we're going to push."  And the defending commander sees that and reacts, or does a counter-push in C...  it could be glorious.

Nunya_000 #35 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 21:06

Major

• Players
  • 21072 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostDrWho_, on Jul 11 2018 - 14:26, said:

What purpose would "farming damage" serve?  The FL battles are not included in our stats.  Maybe they were "farming damage" to....you know....win the battle.

Avalon304 #36 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 21:39

Major

• Players
  • 20335 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostNunya_000, on Jul 12 2018 - 13:06, said:

What purpose would "farming damage" serve?  The FL battles are not included in our stats.  Maybe they were "farming damage" to....you know....win the battle.

Faming damage lead to more credits.

FL was literally just "credit farm: the mode". People always complained that teams were winning too fast. I saw hundreds of people ask their teams to slow down so they could farm more credits, and sicne there was no penalty to losing in Frontline the more damage you did the more credits you made, even on a loss. Damage was less important to winning a Frontline battle.

DrWho_ #37 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 22:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16009 battles

View PostNunya_000, on Jul 12 2018 - 21:06, said:

What Avalon said, and I don't believe for a second that you honestly didn't understand that was what I meant

Nunya_000 #38 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 00:12

Major

• Players
  • 21072 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostAvalon304, on Jul 12 2018 - 12:39, said:

Faming damage lead to more credits.

FL was literally just "credit farm: the mode". People always complained that teams were winning too fast. I saw hundreds of people ask their teams to slow down so they could farm more credits, and sicne there was no penalty to losing in Frontline the more damage you did the more credits you made, even on a loss. Damage was less important to winning a Frontline battle.

View PostDrWho_, on Jul 12 2018 - 13:52, said:

What Avalon said, and I don't believe for a second that you honestly didn't understand that was what I meant

OK.....more damage = more credits/XP.  I understand that, but the math does not add up.  Don't players get even more credits/XP if they win? (I never got to play FL much, so maybe not). 

If so, wouldn't doing a lot of damage help their team progress towards a win? 

If not, then what does winning or losing matter?  Nobody kept track of the number of wins/losses.

I never quite understood the argument that a player wants to just "farm damage" and is not interested in helping their team win (especially in randoms).  Doing damage is how we win.  It would seem to me that a player "farming damage" is a good thing.  Sure, I understand worthless late game farming of damage after their team pretty much already lost, but I do not think that is what we are talking about. 

Just about every day, we hear complaints about good players "farming damage".  Well, to me, a good player is one with a high WN8 and a high WR%.  If a good player is farming damage and it allows him to have a good WN8 and a good WR%, it would seem to me that their method of fighting battles is working.

sneakytails #39 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 00:26

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7224 battles
  • [ESG] ESG

Front-line rewards were based more on the performance of the individual rather then the team. It just so happens the biggest performance rewards generally come from higher damage scores, that's how WG has structured their game.

So if you have a problem with Frontline damage farming then take it up with WG they are the ones who make spotting, assisted damge, and other stats worth far far less. They do this in World of Warships too, its structured around damage.

I personally enjoyed the mode and it was nice to have a good game even if your team sucked, unlike randoms where you get dragged down in your rewards based on your team flopping.

Stick to randoms, CW, and Strongholds if you want "Team Play" to be more important.

Front-line was amazing and it cannot come back soon enough.

Avalon304 #40 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 00:30

Major

• Players
  • 20335 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostNunya_000, on Jul 12 2018 - 16:12, said:

OK.....more damage = more credits/XP.  I understand that, but the math does not add up.  Don't players get even more credits/XP if they win? (I never got to play FL much, so maybe not). 

If so, wouldn't doing a lot of damage help their team progress towards a win? 

If not, then what does winning or losing matter?  Nobody kept track of the number of wins/losses.

I never quite understood the argument that a player wants to just "farm damage" and is not interested in helping their team win (especially in randoms).  Doing damage is how we win.  It would seem to me that a player "farming damage" is a good thing.  Sure, I understand worthless late game farming of damage after their team pretty much already lost, but I do not think that is what we are talking about. 

Just about every day, we hear complaints about good players "farming damage".  Well, to me, a good player is one with a high WN8 and a high WR%.  If a good player is farming damage and it allows him to have a good WN8 and a good WR%, it would seem to me that their method of fighting battles is working.

Yes, but not meaningfully enough to make winning the better option in Frontlines. You got nearly as many credits on a loss where you farmed lots of damage as you did on a win where you didnt do as much damage. In Frontlines if you wanted more credits, you didnt need to win, you just needed to do more damage to enemies. Which is why in game, here on the forums and on Reddit people kept complaining that people should stop winning in Frontlines and just use it as a mode to grind credits.

WRT "farming" damage theres a time and a place for it. Often the distinction is made between "good" damage and "trash" damage. Farming damage when a match is already decided (as most people do) is trash, because the game has already been won or lost. Farming damage also, in most cases, is done by sitting further back and not actually being engaged in the match. If youre getting early damage, and bleeding tanks as they get into position, if youre doing it from the front or in support of those tanks doing the spotting, youre doing good damage.

In randoms, damage matters way more because in randoms you get a single life and removing tanks from the game is drastically more important. In Frontlines, damage is a means to an end, and (perhaps ironically) capping is the far more important objective and since you can respawn, damages effect on the match is less important.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users