Jump to content


How many should cap at once?

cap

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

U3S7O_WOL #1 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 21:41

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 29255 battles
  • 34
  • Member since:
    06-14-2012

How many people do you think should cap the enemy base at once?  Should it be just one, let the rest hunt down remaining enemy?  Should it be two, cap faster and let any others hunt or protect.  Should it be three, maximum speed at capping?  Or, should it be as many as you  can pile onto the enemy base?

 

I go for as many as you can get onto the base.  Why? Imagine you are the last one on your team and you have just 6 seconds to shoot and reset before losing as you come into sight of your base.  If there are 6 enemy there, which one do you shoot?  If there is just one, then you know which one to shoot. If there are two, PROBABLY doesn't matter much which one you shoot unless one of them just got there.  If there are three, then again, shoot any of them.  But, with more than three the likelihood of you shooting one and resetting enough cap points to do any good grows smaller and smaller.

Let's imagine that just ONE of the enemy on your base has 95% of the cap and the rest just got there. The more there are, the lower your chance of shooting the correct one.

What do you think?



Flarvin #2 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 21:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 51522 battles
  • 13,251
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

Extra tanks over the 3 that allow to cap at max rate, should defend approaches and screen the cappers. 

 

If no threat, as many that want to cap can cap. 



_Tsavo_ #3 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 21:49

    Major

  • Players
  • 41470 battles
  • 16,908
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    02-16-2011
Depends on the situation.  I'm generally not a capper, as most times I'm near their cap, capping isn't advised.

tod914 #4 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 22:01

    Major

  • Players
  • 57815 battles
  • 3,994
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013
If your team is doing a cap, and your the last one on, use your tank to shield the first guy on.  That way all those cap points won't be reset if you need to take a hit for him.

sargev55 #5 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 22:25

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 53251 battles
  • 952
  • [_CIA_] _CIA_
  • Member since:
    02-22-2012

Depends on the situation.

 

If the situation is screwed and you might pull off a fast cap, go for it and try to shield the first one on.

 

If it looks like one capping might pull a few tanks away from an enemy push and help out your team its worth it.  

 

If it looks questionable I normally will have two cap, with one tank roaming nearby to attack anyone coming to reset, if it becomes favorable again, jump off cap and kill all.



dnaman #6 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 22:27

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29847 battles
  • 1,284
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
  • Member since:
    06-09-2013
Exactly right Tod!  I’ve done this and won the game from it more than once.  Reset me, and we still win because the cap points are protected.  

Whelan_Cooper #7 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 22:35

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 18139 battles
  • 6
  • [ICB] ICB
  • Member since:
    12-18-2014

Capping principles aren't quite as simple as just saying put as many on cap as you can at all times.  While it's true that only the first three tanks on cap are accumulating the points to win, if an enemy hits the 4th tank to get on cap, for example, there is a small amount of cap points that reset, or at least this was the observation my clan and I made when we tested all of this just before the last clan wars season.  So if capping is a tight race and even a lost second could change the result to a draw or loss, it's better to screen the 4th and all subsequent tanks around the cap in the direction(s) of the most likely attempt to reset.  That's because even pushing the 4th-xth tank through the cap and off of it without taking any damage results in a small loss in cap time, if I recall correctly. 

 

I'll be interested to see if people have noticed the same cap rules as I've noted above.



Boghie #8 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 23:03

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 5354 battles
  • 494
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    04-10-2016

I've seen far more losses via early cap attempts than I have seen won by capping...

 

Still, capping is a viable option if losing is the only other one.  If the enemy has only slow tanks remaining with poor vision and advancing toward your cap than slam what you can into the cap.  I would always want someone screening/spotting so I could do the mental calculus on the oppositions ability to reset.  I really don't like sitting around in an open field - makes me feel kinda naked.



commander42 #9 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 23:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 24014 battles
  • 4,619
  • [T-R-P] T-R-P
  • Member since:
    07-08-2013
depends, generally 3 is ideal so that you can get the max rate, the others go out and defend so the people in cap cannot be reached by the enemy.

the_dude_76 #10 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 23:37

    Major

  • Players
  • 32243 battles
  • 3,037
  • [GSRM] GSRM
  • Member since:
    12-27-2011

View PostU3S7O_WOL, on Jul 11 2018 - 14:41, said:

I go for as many as you can get onto the base.  Why? Imagine you are the last one on your team and you have just 6 seconds to shoot and reset before losing as you come into sight of your base.  If there are 6 enemy there, which one do you shoot? 

 

If 3 of the cappers are defending instead he never gets a chance to shoot at anyone in the cap circle. Why give him a chance at all?

 

Unfortunately many players either don't understand that the timer maxes out at 3 players or they don't understand that just one penetrating shot from their gun would earn them more exp and credits than a few worthless cap points. 



the_dude_76 #11 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 23:47

    Major

  • Players
  • 32243 battles
  • 3,037
  • [GSRM] GSRM
  • Member since:
    12-27-2011

View PostWhelan_Cooper, on Jul 11 2018 - 15:35, said:

Capping principles aren't quite as simple as just saying put as many on cap as you can at all times.  While it's true that only the first three tanks on cap are accumulating the points to win, if an enemy hits the 4th tank to get on cap, for example, there is a small amount of cap points that reset, or at least this was the observation my clan and I made when we tested all of this just before the last clan wars season.  So if capping is a tight race and even a lost second could change the result to a draw or loss, it's better to screen the 4th and all subsequent tanks around the cap in the direction(s) of the most likely attempt to reset.  That's because even pushing the 4th-xth tank through the cap and off of it without taking any damage results in a small loss in cap time, if I recall correctly. 

 

I'll be interested to see if people have noticed the same cap rules as I've noted above.

 

Everyone on cap earns cap points at the same rate. So if 5 tanks are in the cap circle they would each earn 20% of the accumulating cap points. If any one of those tanks gets hit it resets the cap. If all 5 entered at exactly the same time it would rest by 20% of the total.

 

The 3 tank max refers only to the speed at which the timer counts down. The more tanks you have on cap, up to a max of 3, the less time it takes to complete the cap. So if a 4th player enters they will get an equal share of the cap points from that moment on but the timer will not speed up any more. So the 4th tank is earning cap points but he really isn't doing anything that would help the team win.

 



Boghie #12 Posted Jul 11 2018 - 23:53

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 5354 battles
  • 494
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    04-10-2016

If you are taking part in the current meta of Tier VI Skirmishes you would know how dangerous capping is as a winning strategy.

 

If the enemy has a LT or MT with decent speed and decent vision left on the field ANYWHERE (other than locked down by your teammates) than capping is almost a certain loss.  Decent speed and decent vision also generally go hand in hand with decent reload/aim time on their gun.  If you are some slug in a HT and trundle into the cap with the thought of waiting it out for the win - and there is a Cromwell somewhere - then just chalk up the loss.  Get it over with.  Maybe shoot a wall right next to you with HE to try to end the misery.  Better players in that same HT may flash the cap for a short time to try to draw that Cromwell back into his team's guns, but that is not the same as capping for the win...

 

In fact, most of the better players just see someone capping them as an opportunity to farm their hit points.



Liberty75 #13 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 01:50

    Captain

  • Players
  • 46270 battles
  • 1,531
  • [ORDER] ORDER
  • Member since:
    07-30-2012

View PostU3S7O_WOL, on Jul 11 2018 - 15:41, said:

How many people do you think should cap the enemy base at once?  Should it be just one, let the rest hunt down remaining enemy?  Should it be two, cap faster and let any others hunt or protect.  Should it be three, maximum speed at capping?  Or, should it be as many as you  can pile onto the enemy base?

 

I go for as many as you can get onto the base.  Why? Imagine you are the last one on your team and you have just 6 seconds to shoot and reset before losing as you come into sight of your base.  If there are 6 enemy there, which one do you shoot?  If there is just one, then you know which one to shoot. If there are two, PROBABLY doesn't matter much which one you shoot unless one of them just got there.  If there are three, then again, shoot any of them.  But, with more than three the likelihood of you shooting one and resetting enough cap points to do any good grows smaller and smaller.

Let's imagine that just ONE of the enemy on your base has 95% of the cap and the rest just got there. The more there are, the lower your chance of shooting the correct one.

What do you think?

 

Depends on the situation. Sometimes you need just one to draw the enemy players that are left into the open. Sometimes you need three because your team is getting crushed and you want to fast cap and steal the win. It is circumstantial.

TsarCidron #14 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 6750 battles
  • 7,821
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM
  • Member since:
    03-16-2012
14, with that last tank AFK at spawn

HeavyMetalMech #15 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:05

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20875 battles
  • 169
  • Member since:
    04-05-2013
i don't cap much but If I cap I may stay on depending on how strong the remaining enemy are and if we are losing tanks steadily or I may get off cap once it becomes clear that we can kill the last tank thus giving the chance to those near the kill a few seconds more. All situational as mentioned. Sometimes it is a flood of tanks to the cap knowing the odds are not good to start with and try to end the game in a fast win. 

Caliber4Hire #16 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:55

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 26931 battles
  • 77
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS
  • Member since:
    05-06-2012
If all goes well then the answer is none.

SporkBoy #17 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 06:26

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 36004 battles
  • 624
  • [PZB] PZB
  • Member since:
    02-06-2014
Ha! Had a match today where VK72 just murdered and at the end a lowly light tank was left. Three of us on cap (probably 7 minutes left in game). Old VK with his 9 kills begged us not to cap while he chased the T49 around Glacier.

We nicely jumped off cap a couple times since his plaintive cries were so seductive.

T49 killed that fool VK and we almost lost but thankfully we jumped back on cap with moments to spare.

Moral-3 on cap (at least) ASAP and dont get off.

Don't feel bad for old foolish VK he got plenty XP and credits along with Crucial Contributor badge.

Spammy #18 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 06:41

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 60447 battles
  • 227
  • [T___T] T___T
  • Member since:
    08-01-2010

none

 



Bogart1943 #19 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 12:20

    Major

  • Players
  • 29744 battles
  • 2,037
  • [DHO6] DHO6
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013
3

Knagar #20 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 12:42

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20321 battles
  • 1,562
  • Member since:
    05-13-2011
3 If you can.. If you see 3 in cap, you take up a forward guard position.

Sure you can take your chances with more on cap to make resets harder. Having a forward guard gives a lower chance of a reset.

Of course this is situational. If you can 3 cap with no worry then do it. If you can't in time then keep a forward guard out.





Also tagged with cap

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users