• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:13

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13751 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hey Tankers!

So you probably noticed it's not Monday. Sorry about that, tournaments have been running me ragged. Better late than never though, right? This week's map is Paris.

Fire up the video below, and journey through the streets of War-Torn Paris while diving into the guide.

So, I know Paris definitely isn't most players' favorite map, but it's actually pretty straightforward. There are some common pitfalls that should be avoided, and aggressive plays tend to make or break the tide of battle on this map rather quickly. High Risk, High Reward is the name of the game here. Lightly armored TD's and LT's may struggle to make a huge difference if they don't commit to potentially losing some aggressive early-game plays. What that play ends up being may vary based on the enemy team composition, but hopefully this guide will help you come up with some creative solutions.

MAP GUIDE

THE SOUTH FLANK

This is where most of your heavies will typically go. There is a point I wanted to mention (shoutout to Cajun_ for the tip!) And that's not represented on my minimap above. You'll see the three green heavy squares in the South; if you have the mobility, decent gun depression, and a strong turret, you can push up under the bridge, and play the little shaded area around the southernmost corner of the buildings. This will allow you to stay hulldown and put pressure on heavies spawning in the East that are trying to maintain a hull-down position as well. This map is all about playing corners, and playing them well. There are few positions that allow you a lot of cover, so trade carefully and avoid losing large amounts of HP early on. 

If you spawn in the East, you'll either want to rush down into the same area and play the corner, or hull-down above. Another option is to push further South around the buildings and trade with tanks up on the bridge.

EXPAND

THE MIDDLE FLANK

This flank is a risky one, but that's where those aggressive plays come in. LT's with a good camo rating and view range can push up one of these main roads and spot heavies that are making their way down to the South. If your allies are paying attention, you can get some devastating early-game hits in that will leave your heavies sitting pretty on a nice HP advantage before starting their brawl. TD's can set up here early to support the spotters, and land some of those heavy hits. If you track an enemy on the cross, it's possible to take them out completely. If the opportunity presents itself, LT's can also rush up the middle and grab a perch in the center plaza. A little more on that later.

EXPAND

THE NORTH FLANK

This flank can be one of the most frustrating to play. A common pitfall is over-committing your  TD's to the bushes around the initial corner spawn. It's definitely a possible location to pick, but do so with caution because it's a very common spot, and SPG's will often blind-fire these locations, just like the "Islands" in the North as well. Mediums can poke up and down these islands, or play carefully towards the Southwest and Southeast corners. Utilize hard cover and hull-down positions whenever possible, because if you peek you'll probably be spotted. If the opportunity presents itself you can push up the stairs to the Center Plaza, but be aware of firing angles. 

Another tip from Cajun_, pushing up to the enemy island early on is a pretty solid play for LT's; you can keep the island proxy spotted, and you should have the view range to negate the camo rating + bonus from bushes around the corner for lurking TD's. Pushing out to move you out of this location might be difficult if the enemy team doesn't have control of the center plaza.

EXPAND

EXTRA NOTES

EXPAND

FROM THE COMMUNITY:

EXPAND

Edited by DomoSapien, Jul 12 2018 - 21:13.

madogthefirst #2 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:29

Major

• Players
  • 23349 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

Remove Paris!

spud_tuber #3 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 02:53

Major

• Players
  • 52459 battles
Pretty good write up.  

I'll add that you should generally take any TD with armor or a turret to the south brawl.  It's harder to play a casement TD or a glass cannon down there than in the middle or in the north where you're just waiting for reds to wonder in front of your gun. Done right, though, the extra gun and HP is often the deciding factor.  After all, unless the other team gets a case of the dumbs, or someone on your team makes some highly aggressive plays in the north, waiting on the reds to stumble into your gun usually means most of your damage will be done after the battle is already lost.

Or, to be more blunt, camping the northern field with more than a tripwire is the easiest way to lose the battle.  Either play the field aggressively, or don't go there.

YANKEE137 #4 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 04:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 10571 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
You could open up some paths through those blocks of buildings and this thing would be a whole lot less predictable and dull.

White_Runner #5 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 07:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19289 battles
  • [FMM] FMM

ONE OF THE WORST IF NOT THE WORST MAPS ON THE GAME.
Corridors, man the [edited]corridors arent even there to stop meds, lights, tds and heavies, but also artillery is completely useless SINCE CORRIDORS EXTEND ALL THE WAY TO THE SKY.
IF YOU PUSH THE NORTH YOU GET BOMBARDED BY ARTY WHICH IS IRONICAL BECAUSE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PUSH IT, BUT WITH ARTY IT BECOMES WORSE.
And you cant bomb south and stop heavies because, again no line of fire.
ITS MORE LIKE SOME DEV SAID I DONT WANT TO GET ******* BY ARTY AND DECIDED TO MAKE A MAP HEAVY ORIENTED which would be nice if not because the heavies are broken and all the other classes forgotten.

White_Runner #6 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 07:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19289 battles
  • [FMM] FMM
Good thing is that your game will never be an ESports with all the ** you have on this game.

usma79south #7 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 14:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 18682 battles
Remove Paris, bring back Northwest, Hidden Village

xtc4 #8 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24780 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

A possible initial play in a non-brawling tank (i.e., a light, a fragile medium, or a fast TD) is to go H4 from the west spawn or H6 from the east spawn. You hug the buildings as you drive up the diagonal road and peek out just enough to spot (and maybe shoot) the enemy snipers camping on the E line. You are also in position to shoot lights attempting to use the central plaza. If the opportunity eventually presents itself, you can flank the southern brawl. You are also in position to protect your own brawlers from being flanked.

Making this play supports the southern brawl, which is the key fight. You are generally better off doing something like this than wasting your tank by going north.

(BTW, I don't like this map either.)

_Gungrave_ #9 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:24

Major

• Players
  • 42463 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

Was the worst map in the game then they brought Province back and allowed that for high tiers :(. I generally hate playing Paris if I'm in paper mediums because its just not suited for the playstyles of those tanks. Its mostly a map that favors the 'press W' kind of players since its 90% corridor gameplay.

Edited by _Gungrave_, Jul 12 2018 - 15:47.

Whisky_A_Go_Go #10 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:28

Major

• Players
  • 9940 battles

Another example of how completely and totally out of touch Wargaming is with it's player base.

Paris was an abomination in testing. That was clearly pointed out.

Paris was an abomination on release. That was clearly pointed out.

Paris is to this day an abomination. That has been clearly pointed out dozens of times.

But lets make a post about it to try to sweep under the rug that it is, has always been and always will be a steaming pile of junk.

Yeah. That's well done, Wargaming. You're not even trying to polish the turd. You're just rubbing it into the faces of the player base that have hated it since its inception.

BabA_YA6A #11 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:54

Captain

• Players
  • 26287 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER
One of the "WORST" maps in this game!

darktemplardelta #12 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 18:58

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9294 battles
  • [-REM-] -REM-
I kinda miss swamp and would definitely prefer it over Paris.

Whisky_A_Go_Go #13 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 20:16

Major

• Players
  • 9940 battles

View Postdarktemplardelta, on Jul 12 2018 - 12:58, said:

I kinda miss swamp and would definitely prefer it over Paris.

I loved that map. Had a bit of everything.

DomoSapien #14 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 21:11

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13751 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Jul 12 2018 - 08:28, said:

Another example of how completely and totally out of touch Wargaming is with it's player base.

Paris was an abomination in testing. That was clearly pointed out.

Paris was an abomination on release. That was clearly pointed out.

Paris is to this day an abomination. That has been clearly pointed out dozens of times.

But lets make a post about it to try to sweep under the rug that it is, has always been and always will be a steaming pile of junk.

Yeah. That's well done, Wargaming. You're not even trying to polish the turd. You're just rubbing it into the faces of the player base that have hated it since its inception.

Where have you been for the past few months? I'm posting about every map. It has nothing to do with sweeping anything under the rug.

More along the lines of "Hey, I have a lot of trouble with this map - let me ask some good players what they do to make it work for them and share it with the community in case we have any new players that might benefit from a guide." 

Your insight is appreciated as always, Whisky, but I'd appreciate it if you stopped drawing inferences that don't exist. <o

docroberts #15 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 00:21

Captain

• Players
  • 19205 battles
  • [TONKX] TONKX

View Post_Gungrave_, on Jul 12 2018 - 08:24, said:

Was the worst map in the game then they brought Province back and allowed that for high tiers :(. I generally hate playing Paris if I'm in paper mediums because its just not suited for the playstyles of those tanks. Its mostly a map that favors the 'press W' kind of players since its 90% corridor gameplay.

Exactly …. 

docroberts #16 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 00:39

Captain

• Players
  • 19205 battles
  • [TONKX] TONKX

View PostDomoSapien, on Jul 12 2018 - 14:11, said:

Where have you been for the past few months? I'm posting about every map. It has nothing to do with sweeping anything under the rug.

More along the lines of "Hey, I have a lot of trouble with this map - let me ask some good players what they do to make it work for them and share it with the community in case we have any new players that might benefit from a guide." 

Your insight is appreciated as always, Whisky, but I'd appreciate it if you stopped drawing inferences that don't exist. <o

Paris and Province , there very limited ways to go . And for the Arty players the options are pretty much suicide for them . The field and center on Pairs is just a camp fest until the heavy break out . Sometimes you get lucky and can push , but most times your caught out in the open . Might work as a tier 4 and below . But I cringed every time I seen it . The 0 spawn most times get the center first and someone covering at G6 . Im just wasting my breath . It's a bad map . 

VinnyI82 #17 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 01:23

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 35502 battles
  • [POSHY] POSHY

View PostDomoSapien, on Jul 11 2018 - 20:13, said:

Hey Tankers!

So, I know Paris definitely isn't most players' favorite map, but it's actually pretty straightforward. 

Or you could just remove this disaster of a straight corridor map.

Edited by VinnyI82, Jul 13 2018 - 01:23.

The_Illusive_Man #18 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 03:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 12745 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

Posted Image

There is alot of incorrectness in this map.

TD's and Med's im A8, A9, A2, B8, B2 can be used elsewhere. They are kinda trapped there if they get rushed (And dont notice in time).

The TD at B0 might be able to be there, but it needs good gun depression to use it.

The TD's at C3, C8 will get insta spotted there. Should at least be up top, or helping mid.

The lower TD's on C line are completely open to counter fire, with little or no cover. So bad spot.

F and G line are useless other than really early game. So dont stay there.

Anyways, this map needs a massive overhaul to be worthwhile.

eisen1973 #19 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 06:22

Major

• Players
  • 56770 battles
  • [_B-Z_] _B-Z_
The equestrian statue of General Foch in the middle is a true detail of the map.

Whisky_A_Go_Go #20 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 12:59

Major

• Players
  • 9940 battles

View PostDomoSapien, on Jul 12 2018 - 15:11, said:

Where have you been for the past few months? I'm posting about every map.

You should have given this one a miss altogether. It has been complained about since testing and even in this thread is receiving nothing but a thrashing about how awful it is.

THIS is exhibit A on why the North American Market was a complete, total, epic failure.

It has nothing to do with "where I've been". It has everything to do with "what you're doing".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users