Suggestion: British Light Tank Line

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

strike_07 #1 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 04:54

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42120 battles
  • [WILDH] WILDH

hello to all, I come this time to give you a suggestion of the possible tanks that can be included in the branch of the british

tanks: Light Tanks

To begin I will put the image of the branch of british

Tier 5: Harry Hopkin MK VIII

Description:

This light tank was designed in 1941 by Vickers-Armstrong with an aim to replace Mark.VII Tetrarch. The production was entrusted to the firm Metropolitan-Camel Carriage Wagon Co, and 99 specimens of the Mark VIII (A25) Harry Hopkins (name suggested by American president Roosevelt, in fact the name of the roving ambassador of this last) were built.

The only notable difference with Tetrarch was the adoption of hydraulic commands for the control of the tank and a reinforced shielding (up to 38 mm). The hull and the turret were slightly modified. The armament was identical to that of Tetrarch with a gun of 2-pdr (40 mm) and Besa a coaxial machine-gun of 7.92 mm. This airborne tank never entered in service because its higher weight (which reduced also the performances of the tank) and its new dimensions (especially in width) made it unusable in the Hamilcar sailplane! And as the British requirements in the light tanks were filled perfectly by the American tanks Stuart and Chaffee.

Possible weapons:

• 40mm 2 pounder QFSA

• 40mm 2 pounder Mk X-B

• 76mm QQF 3-inch Howitzer Mk.I

Tier 6: Cavalier

Description:

In comparison with the experiment of the initial combat, on the French ground and in North Africa, it was obvious that the design of the British tanks cruisers were to be revised. At the beginning of 1941, new specifications were emitted, proposing a higher reliability, a protection of the turret increased to 75 mm and 65 mm for the hull, a new gun of 57 mm, a turret ing of 1.52 m in diameter, a weight lower than 24 tons, a more powerful engine allowing a speed of 40 km/h.

In June 1941, Nuffield was invested of an order of 500 specimens of this new model, was indicated A24 and based on Crusader. This tank was equipped with a engine pushed to 410 hp, was finally named Cavalier. This test was a failure and one was satisfied to use this armoured tank like tank recovery vehicle or like artillery mobile observatory.

Note: this tank is like a cromwell but light version. It would be like cromwell ltwt.

Possible weapons:

• 57mm 6 pounder

• 75mm ROQF

Tier 7: FV301

Description:

The fv301 is a project for the construction of a light combat tank, developed after the Second World War by the Vickers Company. This project is only in the prototype phase.

Possible weapons:

• 75mm Vickers HV

• 77mm  Gun Mk. II

Tier 8: FV107 Scimitar

Description:

The FV107 Scimitar is an armoured reconnaissance vehicle (sometimes classed as a light tank) used by the British Army. It was manufactured by Alvis in Coventry. It is very similar to the FV101 Scorpion, but mounts a high velocity 30 mm L21 RARDEN cannon instead of a 76 mm gun. It was issued to Royal Armoured Corps armoured regiments in the reconnaissance role. Each regiment originally had a close reconnaissance squadron of five troops, each containing eight FV107 Scimitars.

The FV107 Scimitar is one of the CVR(T) series of vehicles. It entered service in 1971.

Initially, the engine was the Jaguar J60 4.2-litre 6-cylinder petrol engine, the same as used by several Jaguar cars. This has now been replaced by a Cummins BTA 5.9 diesel engine in British Army Scimitars, under the CVR(T) Life Extension Program (LEP).

Possible weapons:

• 30mm L21 RARDEN Automatic Gun

• 76mm L23A1 Gun

Tier 9: FV101 Scorpion

Description:

The FV101 Scorpion is a British armoured reconnaissance vehicle. It was the lead vehicle and the fire support type in the Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked), CVR(T), family of seven armoured vehicles. Manufactured by Alvis, it was introduced into service with the British Army in 1973 and served until 1994.More than 3,000 were produced and used as a reconnaissance vehicle or a light tank. It holds the Guinness world record for the fastest production tank; recorded doing 82.23 km/h (51.10 mph) at the QinetiQ vehicle test track, Chertsey, Surrey, on 26 January 2002.

The Alvis Scorpion was developed to meet a British Army requirement for the Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked) or CVR(T). In 1967, Alvis was awarded the contract to produce 30 CVR(T) prototypes. Vehicles P1–P17 being the Scorpion prototypes were delivered on time and within the budget.After extensive hot and cold weather trials in Norway, Australia, Abu Dhabi and Canada, the Scorpion was accepted by the British Army in May 1970, with a contract for 275, which later rose to 313 vehicles. The first production vehicles were completed in 1972 and the first British regiment to be equipped with the Scorpion was the Blues and Royals of the Household Cavalry in 1973. In November 1981, the RAF Regiment took delivery of its first Scorpions.

Alvis built more than 3,000 Scorpion vehicles for the British Army, Royal Air Force Regiment and the export market. All of the CVR(T) vehicles were to be air-portable; and two Scorpions could be carried in a C130 Hercules. Another requirement of the CVR(T) project was the low ground pressure - similar to that of a soldier on foot - this would serve it well in the boggy conditions of the Falklands War.

Possible weapons:

• 76mm L23A1 Gun

• 90mm Cockerill M.k3 M-A1 Gun

Tier 10: Scorpion 90

Description:

The Scorpion 90 or Scorpion 2 was a version armed with the long-barrelled Cockerill Mk3 M-A1 90mm gun designed for the export market.

Possible weapons:

• 90mm Cockerill M.k3 M-A1 Gun

This is all for now, I hope that WG takes into account my little research and soon I can see these tanks in the game

regards!!!

FrDashing #2 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 05:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 14560 battles
+1

JEDIDIEUGH #3 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 05:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16018 battles
  • [TOMAS] TOMAS
This is a really nice post but I have concerns about the tier 9 and tier 10 tanks. They are equipped with 90mm and are really post-vietnam tanks. A 90mm at tier 10 seems very odd and WG has been avoiding "modern" tanks. Everything else in your tech tree seems pretty balanced. Thank you for your research.

ket101 #4 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 05:10

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18441 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M

You could have had one of the Vickers light tanks at Tier 2 (you know, like the premium Mk VI C), with the opportunity to bring the Tetrarch back to the UK tree (currently appears as a Russian Lend Lease premium at Tier 2) at Tier 3, giving you the Harry Hopkins at Tier 4, which would be a much happier position for it.  If you want a separate branch for light tanks, that'd probably work better than coming off the Cruisers.

Cavalier was mostly a Cromwell in any case, and isn't a light tank.  Most of it's specifications are included with the Cromwell in the game.

Not sure how a 30mm armed vehicle fits in at Tier 8 (Scimitar), and if you give it the 76mm, then you're relying on a low velocity gun to deliver HEAT in most instances, maybe HESH, and it's likely to be expensive to run.  And giving the Scimitar the 76 makes it the Scorpion.

Other people have tried a British light tank line.

strike_07 #5 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 05:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42120 battles
  • [WILDH] WILDH

View PostJEDIDIEUGH, on Jul 12 2018 - 05:08, said:

This is a really nice post but I have concerns about the tier 9 and tier 10 tanks. They are equipped with 90mm and are really post-vietnam tanks. A 90mm at tier 10 seems very odd and WG has been avoiding "modern" tanks. Everything else in your tech tree seems pretty balanced. Thank you for your research.

thanks very much, you just have to balance and you're done

View Postket101, on Jul 12 2018 - 05:10, said:

You could have had one of the Vickers light tanks at Tier 2 (you know, like the premium Mk VI C), with the opportunity to bring the Tetrarch back to the UK tree (currently appears as a Russian Lend Lease premium at Tier 2) at Tier 3, giving you the Harry Hopkins at Tier 4, which would be a much happier position for it.  If you want a separate branch for light tanks, that'd probably work better than coming off the Cruisers.

Cavalier was mostly a Cromwell in any case, and isn't a light tank.  Most of it's specifications are included with the Cromwell in the game.

Not sure how a 30mm armed vehicle fits in at Tier 8 (Scimitar), and if you give it the 76mm, then you're relying on a low velocity gun to deliver HEAT in most instances, maybe HESH, and it's likely to be expensive to run.  And giving the Scimitar the 76 makes it the Scorpion.

Other people have tried a British light tank line.

I do not know if you read the whole topic, but the tier 5 that I recommend is the same tetrach but improved (better firepower), as for tier 8, remember the concept of light tank: everything is summarized in speed and range of vision. So the firepower is in the background

strike_07 #6 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 06:02

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42120 battles
  • [WILDH] WILDH
otherwise, the cavalier can enter as a light tank because initially the British had no designations for light, medium tanks.Their designation was cruisers tanks , support tanks for infantry (I do not know if you remember long ago when the crusader was a light tank and then wg I designate it as a medium tank)

ket101 #7 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 06:39

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18441 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M

View Poststrike_07, on Jul 12 2018 - 14:56, said:

thanks very much, you just have to balance and you're done

I do not know if you read the whole topic, but the tier 5 that I recommend is the same tetrach but improved (better firepower), as for tier 8, remember the concept of light tank: everything is summarized in speed and range of vision. So the firepower is in the background

Your Tier 5 is the Harry Hopkins, not the Tetrarch.  That's what it says right up there.  You mention that it was to replace the Tetrarch, not that it is the Tetrarch.  And since the Tetrarch that is currently in the game is a Tier 2, you can make improvements to it to get it to Tier 3 pretty easily.  The Harry Hopkins has better armour, and you can similarly improve it's characteristics over the Tier 3 to give a decent Tier 4 tank.  Probably a stretch to give it the Covenanter's engine (which was a larger version of the engine actually fitted to the Tetrarch and Harry Hopkins), but WG has done worse.  Since the Covenanter is itself a Tier 4 tank, I think you can agree that going past Tier 4 with the Harry Hopkins could be considered to be stretching the friendship a little.

How many high tier light tanks have a 30mm gun?  How many have very low velocity, low pressure guns?  How many are used purely for passive spotting?  How many people like to have the chance to do at least some damage?  And 30mm and low velocity 76mm guns aren't going to be very popular at Tier 8, let alone higher, on high speed vehicles.  I would like to see these vehicles actually played, rather than being dumped on as being rubbish.

View Poststrike_07, on Jul 12 2018 - 15:02, said:

otherwise, the cavalier can enter as a light tank because initially the British had no designations for light, medium tanks.Their designation was cruisers tanks , support tanks for infantry (I do not know if you remember long ago when the crusader was a light tank and then wg I designate it as a medium tank)

Cromwell is basically a 30 ton tank.  Cavalier isn't a lot different.  They are not light tanks.  And cruiser tanks are not infantry tanks.  Infantry tanks are Matildas, Valentines, and Churchills.  Cruiser tanks were meant to break through the lines and cause havoc behind them, a job that eventually went largely to armoured cars for the British later on.  Cruiser tanks were not, in the main, infantry support, even if circumstances forced such duties upon them. 

JEDIDIEUGH #8 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 07:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16018 battles
  • [TOMAS] TOMAS
If WG gave the 30mm gun a clip of 20 and 145 pen, I'd be happy and there would be many memes to come. I wouldn't mind a 30mm gun at tier 8. Sounds lile a lot of fun tbh.

ket101 #9 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 10:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18441 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M

View PostJEDIDIEUGH, on Jul 12 2018 - 16:15, said:

If WG gave the 30mm gun a clip of 20 and 145 pen, I'd be happy and there would be many memes to come. I wouldn't mind a 30mm gun at tier 8. Sounds lile a lot of fun tbh.

The 30mm Rarden actually has a clip size of 3, with two clips in the gun, making a maximum of 6.  Not sure what the pen would be.  The German MK 103 gets around 90 mm.

FrozenKemp #10 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 10:45

Major

• Players
  • 46025 battles

View Poststrike_07, on Jul 12 2018 - 00:02, said:

You are incorrect I'm afraid.  They had THREE categories:

Light (for reconnaissance) 

Cruiser

Infantry

The Light tanks like the Mk VI C (Light VIC) were just basically not used after 1940-1941.  They were deployed to France and North Africa.   The Tetrarch was the Mk VII and the Harry Hopkins was VIII, I think.  Some Tetrarchs were landed by glider for D Day.

Ich_bin_Hass #11 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 12:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 73909 battles
  • [PERCH] PERCH

View PostJEDIDIEUGH, on Jul 11 2018 - 22:08, said:

"WG has been avoiding "modern" tanks"

Ah ! What would you call the M60, T-62, T55, T54, T-10, Strv, and many other tanks that are post 1960 to sometimes 1970 ?

Ich_bin_Hass #12 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 12:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 73909 battles
  • [PERCH] PERCH

View PostJEDIDIEUGH, on Jul 12 2018 - 00:15, said:

They already have a 30mm gun for Germany Lights that will rip you apart.

JEDIDIEUGH #13 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16018 battles
  • [TOMAS] TOMAS

View PostIch_bin_Hass, on Jul 12 2018 - 03:42, said:

They already have a 30mm gun for Germany Lights that will rip you apart.

I know, that's why I wouldn't mind a tier 8 with a 30mm autocannon.

JEDIDIEUGH #14 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:04

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16018 battles
  • [TOMAS] TOMAS

View PostIch_bin_Hass, on Jul 12 2018 - 03:40, said:

"WG has been avoiding "modern" tanks"

Ah ! What would you call the M60, T-62, T55, T54, T-10, Strv, and many other tanks that are post 1960 to sometimes 1970 ?

The tier 8, 9, and 10 tanks were made in the 1970s. That's what I was talking about.

_Gungrave_ #15 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:46

Major

• Players
  • 40806 battles
  • [DPIX] DPIX
My god that tier 5 and 7 are ugly. :amazed:

BeastsOfBattle #16 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 18:22

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11088 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
I would really like a full line up of British light tanks. I've finished all the British lines to 10 and have recently found that the low tier lights can be great fun now that I've started playing them again.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users