Watching Unicums or Other "Good Player's" Streams Is a Waste

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

WeatherbyMkV #1 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 06:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5255 battles

There is a popular item of advice given to us noobs:  "You need to watch so-and-so's videos on You Tube (or some other streaming service) to learn how to play."

That has been a complete waste of time.

These video "experts":

1.  Rarely explain anything they do or why they do what they do, such as where they go on a map and why, who they follow, how many they follow, when to shoot, when to hide, when to pull back, why they use certain ammo, etc. etc. etc.

2.  Instead of teaching anything worthwhile about how to play the game, they jaw on about politics (who cares), or why they think Wargaming is going downhill, or how they were screwed by the game or the team they were on, or yell at some other player for some unknown reason.

3.  In the background is usually some annoying music of their liking, instead of sounds of the battle.

4.  When in battle, enemy tanks sit perfectly still while they get multiple shots at them, and they always penetrate enemy tanks.  I have yet to hear "we didn't even scratch them".

5.  They run mods they don't describe or reveal.

6.  They have a full complement of skills and perks for every crew member (no wonder they do well).

I won't waste any more time on this "helpful suggestion".

P0NYTANK #2 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 06:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 37176 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

Hmm the only way to learn something about how to play this game its... actually playing it and learn from the self/others mistakes and don't repeat those...

But, that rarely happen XD

The same as usual:

- Focus Fire on the Low HP Foes

- Share Damage

- Safety in numbers

- Bring some Prem Shells and HE Shells

- Use the Terrain

- Take your time to Aim

- Remember the Weak Spots

- Learn to Angle your Tank

- HE Rounds Can't Not Bounce, Don't try to Angle

- The Heavy ones are not snipers

- Breath and Relax... its just a game

And other things that are learned along the way, so stop watching other players gameplays :B

Elevendy #3 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 06:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 20480 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

Who did you watch exactly?

Both QuickyBaby and Tru_voodoo do this, and most hyper unicums aren't great to watch as a new player, as they'll explain less, because they expect you to understand more from just their play.

The_Pushok #4 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 07:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12081 battles
  • [IT420] IT420

The thing I learned is how to use the map, how to and where to go depending on the situation. I learned a lot about playing light tanks watching others do it, recently got my first light tank ace tanker, all from spotting damage. 

You are not going to watch and become some unicom, but you take a little here, and a little there from it to assist improving. 

BuckSparkles #5 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 07:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9127 battles

View PostWeatherbyMkV, on Jul 12 2018 - 05:00, said:

There is a popular item of advice given to us noobs:  "You need to watch so-and-so's videos on You Tube (or some other streaming service) to learn how to play."

These video "experts":

1.  Rarely explain anything they do or why they do what they do, such as where they go on a map and why, who they follow, how many they follow, when to shoot, when to hide, when to pull back, why they use certain ammo, etc. etc. etc.

2.  Instead of teaching anything worthwhile about how to play the game, they jaw on about politics (who cares), or why they think Wargaming is going downhill, or how they were screwed by the game or the team they were on, or yell at some other player for some unknown reason.

3.  In the background is usually some annoying music of their liking, instead of sounds of the battle.

4.  When in battle, enemy tanks sit perfectly still while they get multiple shots at them, and they always penetrate enemy tanks.  I have yet to hear "we didn't even scratch them".

6.  They have a full complement of skills and perks for every crew member (no wonder they do well).

The only thing I will agree with is most unicums fire only gold rounds. However, the thing to pay attention to with unicums (Since they ignore armor) is position. they do position themselves well, which is why I always am confused when they are laying on the 2 key for shooting y'know, the back of an enemy tank.

Some of them would even fire gold at a tier 1 with a tier 10.

eisen1973 #6 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 07:16

Major

• Players
  • 55110 battles
  • [_B-Z_] _B-Z_
I learned a lot watching Garbad's replay (longtime ago). It was really inspiring.

cloudwalkr #7 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 07:23

Major

• Players
  • 53916 battles

You can learn a lot by just watching someone better than you, if you know what to look for.  I've learned new positions, angles for shots, hull down positions all without them ever directly explaining anything.  You're not wrong though, most don't really describe things well.

I enjoy watching Skill4ltu

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/283386174

He has a positive attitude, plays incredibly well, doesn't run mods, and explains what he's doing and why he does it pretty well.

Keep in mind that most of the streamers streaming WoT do it in their spare time and on their own dime for the most part, so try not to assume they owe you anything.

Edit:  Also, they have great crews because they built them - which is exactly what you could do if you plan it right, so where's the problem there?

Edited by cloudwalkr, Jul 12 2018 - 07:24.

White_Runner #8 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 07:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19192 battles
  • [FMM] FMM
CORRECTION:
You watch unicums fire gold and thats all. No skill involved.

Gravtech #9 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 08:12

Major

• Players
  • 30089 battles
TRUvoodoo is pretty good at explaining his gameplay, as for a non-streamer, I found that lemmingrush gives rather in-depth explanations of the replays he reviews

Redwave11 #10 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 10:25

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17774 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

Many streamers will not explain what they are doing. If you are at a point where you need the explanation then you will find youtube videos and forum posts more useful because they are designed and better suited for educational purposes. Streams are primarily for entertainment, education comes second and is really just a by product of an individuals ability to learn just by watching someone else (look up mirror neurons). 

If you are actively looking to learn then actively look to learn. Veging out watching a stream is not the most efficient way to learn. You need to read and put into practice distillations of many thousands of battle not just watch how a single player handled a single situation.

Edited by Redwave11, Jul 12 2018 - 10:26.

Panman69 #11 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 11:06

Captain

• Players
  • 34474 battles

View PostWeatherbyMkV, on Jul 12 2018 - 05:00, said:

You are talking about this thread, right?

Sturm_Pioniere #12 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 11:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 43821 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

OP - you forgot one major point - almost all of them whine about artillery.  It's really pathetic, the one type of tank that has the least ability to carry a game and they forever whine about it. 

Also - something in-material to how they play is there system and ping rate-  it's always top notch / very good.  For any of you that struggle with 150+ ping or computers that can barely run the game, not matter how good you are you will struggle.

Nudnick #13 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 11:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 24249 battles
Cody Menz on Twitch, doesn't run mods, has hundreds of tanks that he plays by request, doesn't put down anyone, even arty, explains the game as he goes, and streams around four nights a week. He'll be on Twitch tomorrow night. He also makes good tank review and map strategy videos on YouTube, and is generally a good guy to watch.

OldFrog75 #14 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 12:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 10512 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

View PostNudnick, on Jul 12 2018 - 02:41, said:

Cody Menz on Twitch, doesn't run mods, has hundreds of tanks that he plays by request, doesn't put down anyone, even arty, explains the game as he goes, and streams around four nights a week. He'll be on Twitch tomorrow night. He also makes good tank review and map strategy videos on YouTube, and is generally a good guy to watch.

This^^^^^

and he is very active with Chat while he plays.  He will answer most any question when asked.  Also, he has so many tanks (400+) he plays a lot of them with little to no crew skills.  He typically starts with BIA as his first skill (0 contribution below 100%) because it's so expensive to reset later.

Edited by OldFrog75, Jul 12 2018 - 14:37.

Awestryker #15 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 12:31

Major

• Players
  • 25203 battles

When someone is streaming, its got to be very difficult to explain everything and play at the same time, so the better format to learn from would be the videos those same streamers make later, where they have the time to really explain why they did some things...streaming is more for entertainment...the resulting videos are more for learning...

Zeven's player replay review videos are good info...

Taugrim's videos are pretty good...

If you like scouts, 4Tankersanddog's videos are pretty good...

Lemmingrush has some good videos where he explains a lot...

I am sure there are others...

Edited by Awestryker, Jul 12 2018 - 12:50.

_Tsavo_ #16 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 12:55

Major

• Players
  • 41461 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

It's a case of needing to learn to walk before running.  Those streamers play and those watching are expected to have a base competency of the game and have a basic understanding of why the streamer goes where.

You're best served looking for tutorials and guides first, then stepping up to tank reviews, then streamers.  

BabA_YA6A #17 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 13:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26287 battles
  • [T_K_O] T_K_O

View PostWeatherbyMkV, on Jul 12 2018 - 13:00, said:

These video "experts":

Just watch some of the YouTube's again and try to remember (depending on the vehicle) like good sniping position, scouting spots, flanking routes and spots to avoid etc..

Nobody will guide your little hand and tell you all the nitty gritty details of this game. 

Because some things you have to figure out on your own like everybody else here did.

Besides the point you have you mastered one tank on your account?

You should first learn how to do baby steps on the WoT before you try to run with the big dogs.

WangOnTheLoose #18 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 14:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 25704 battles
  • [TG] TG

View PostWeatherbyMkV, on Jul 12 2018 - 00:00, said:

These video "experts":

You seem to always have a really bad attitude but let me try and help you out anyway.  If you are looking for mod free unicums you can watch Cody Menz, Orzanel, or Sirfoch.  Sirfoch comes with the benefit of almost never firing gold.  Your problem is that you are wanting to know things that no one is going to explain.  You should be looking to see what kind of positions they use and try and get an idea of how they use the map.

1.  Unicums don't follow people they go to their chosen spot and of their thing.

2.  This is just dumb.  Most streamers don't do that at all.

3.  At this point you are just reaching for things to complain about.

4.  This isn't true either, sounds like you watched one stream for a couple of games.

5.  A lot streamers are modless and if not why don't you just ask what mods they are running?  Another stupid criticism.

6.  That isn't why they do well, lots of players have this and aren't unicums.

The bottom line is you need to stop being a whiner and decide if you want to get better or not.  If not I would suggest finding another game to play because you will get super frustrated.  Either way stop acting like a baby.

Edited by WangOnTheLoose, Jul 12 2018 - 14:36.

HighProbability #19 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:07

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 47274 battles

View PostWeatherbyMkV, on Jul 12 2018 - 00:00, said:

You're right that watching streamers will waste your time unless... 1) you enjoy the game and find it fun to watch, 2) you have an interest in improving and are looking for nuance to supplement your already well-informed gameplay.

This game is downright HARD if you're not willing to do the most difficult, most challenging, most crazy thing in the whole world. Which is... wait for it... wait.... wait... READ. Yes, reading is the best way to improve at this game.

This forum has contributions from many really good players. There are just too many really bad players piping in, reaffirming poor gameplay habits, stating uninformed opinions and so on to consider it a "great" place to learn. A good place no doubt, definitely not great. When you're ready, I suggest you do a web search that contains key words "WOT" and "labs." It is highly likely you will find what is the best resource for gameplay improvement. This only applies though if you choose to read.

You're in control of your transition to a well-informed player. Many players never leave the position you're in. I too, as well as every other player (green giant, smurf, unicum) was at one point where you are. This game needs more well-informed players. Do some reading, get better.

HighProbability #20 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 15:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 47274 battles

View PostAwestryker, on Jul 12 2018 - 06:31, said:

Zeven

Taugrim's

4Tankersanddog

Lemmingrush

All excellent choices with great educational content with different perspectives on how to effect great gameplay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users