Amx 65t needs a buff, plus how to make it work currently.

French Heavy tank suggestion discussion buff

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

SenHai #1 Posted Jul 14 2018 - 06:45

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16077 battles

The Amx 65t is a poor introduction into the high tier french non-autoloader heavies. It lacks one key feature that would otherwise make it a better learning opportunity for the tanks that follow.

For any that have played it, the answer is obvious. Frontal hull armor. It absolute garbage and only really usefull against tanks with already poor penetration. The gun choices on the tank are actually pretty good, the dpm on the 100mm is great and the 120mn has decent alpha for its tier while not being the highest or lowest. The turret armor is very workable when using its rather decent gun depression, which I feel should be at least a degree better in the top turret. It has tumorous weakspots on the turret, but those really don't matter if you can see the hull.

To make it simple, this thing needs a frontal hull buff, of about 20-40mm. This would allow it to bounce shells more frequently and its mobilty already sucked so why not give it some armor. It would make it only really reliable against same tier tanks with regular ammo, and it would suffer from the same weakness all tanks with the v shaped frontal hull armor, but that would at least be prefferable to its current state.

As of right now I only run vents and a rammer, but I will most likely use a v-stab as well eventually, its an oddity of a tank and I will keep it despite its weaknesses, but it could still use the buff. Let me know what you think, or if you think more should be changed as I fully believe just buffing the front would be enough.

Dirizon #2 Posted Jul 14 2018 - 09:51

Major

• Players
  • 27691 battles

View PostSenHai, on Jul 14 2018 - 01:15, said:

The Amx 65t is a poor introduction into the high tier french non-autoloader heavies. It lacks one key feature that would otherwise make it a better learning opportunity for the tanks that follow.

For any that have played it, the answer is obvious. Frontal hull armor. It absolute garbage and only really usefull against tanks with already poor penetration. The gun choices on the tank are actually pretty good, the dpm on the 100mm is great and the 120mn has decent alpha for its tier while not being the highest or lowest. The turret armor is very workable when using its rather decent gun depression, which I feel should be at least a degree better in the top turret. It has tumorous weakspots on the turret, but those really don't matter if you can see the hull.

To make it simple, this thing needs a frontal hull buff, of about 20-40mm. This would allow it to bounce shells more frequently and its mobilty already sucked so why not give it some armor. It would make it only really reliable against same tier tanks with regular ammo, and it would suffer from the same weakness all tanks with the v shaped frontal hull armor, but that would at least be prefferable to its current state.

As of right now I only run vents and a rammer, but I will most likely use a v-stab as well eventually, its an oddity of a tank and I will keep it despite its weaknesses, but it could still use the buff. Let me know what you think, or if you think more should be changed as I fully believe just buffing the front would be enough.

First things first, AMX65T has a very bad reputation, alot to do with because people 'expect' it to be fast like AMX fifty and FCM5  tier 8s. Well, that is completely unaccommodating and fallacy, maybe lunacy, as AMX fifty and FCM5 are ridiculously fast having the mobility of many tier 8 medium tanks. Who asks for that, that is ridiculous. AMX65T has quite a deal higher HP/T, better calculated effective terrain resting traverse rates advantages over lS3, Patriot -- while having equal to or greater reverse and top speed. IS3s terrain resistances advantage are not that much better, and get canceled out by AMX65Ts excellent heavy tank HP/T, and Chrysler K has far lower top speed cap, which ends up rev redlining almost immediately. AMX65T is definitely the 3rd quickest tier 8 heavy tank, and would be the fastest if the other two French heavy tanks did not exist because they are actually mediums. 

It gets expensive, understandably, but use the stock gun. DCA 9cm. The gold ammunition is fine, keeping you effective in higher tiering. The tank loses weight and gets even faster, does not suffer bad aim-time and turret dispersion penalty, the velocity remains high, and although the accuracy drops .38 is still good on a tier 8 heavy tank. The DPM increase is huge. 

Improvements? Well l think tanks like King Tiger, KV4, VK45A, T32 are in need of improvement more so.  Those aside, l guess making the view range +1Om more to 38Om makes sense, given it is a tank with a turret upgrade which should be increasing view range. lncreasing the entire front body to 11Omm like the lower portion, instead of 9O-1OOmm,  and the side armour to 8Omm entirely, not lowering to 6Omm so the tank can try side scrapes more often. 

SenHai #3 Posted Jul 15 2018 - 02:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16077 battles
You can't side scrape in the 65t. Also its not really very mobile from my experience. I still feel it needs frontal armor, and using the 90mm seems like a real handicap, its no sufficient for higher tiers. I would use the 100mm if I wanted dpm, as the 90mm simply isn't good in tier 9 or 10 on a non-mobile heavy tank. But still an interesting suggestion.

Gothraul #4 Posted Jul 15 2018 - 03:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 2061 battles

Pretend that it is a French car.

Block Quote

The only thing smooth about it is the spare tire

Von_Richter23 #5 Posted Jul 17 2018 - 04:57

Private

• Players
  • 13329 battles
  • [PTRB] PTRB
I agree that the 65t needs a buff, it may say it has a top speed of 40 but i've only seen it go that fast going downhill, I also think it's way too easy to spot and yes it is not possible to side scrape in the 65t as the front armor is too weak, the only good thing i find about the tank is the stock turret's armor and the selection of guns although the 90mm is too weak for tier 9 and 10 matches unless you use premium ammo which costs a fortune, more expensive even then the tanks repair costs even.

Devil666 #6 Posted Jul 18 2018 - 15:04

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 31101 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

I just unlocked the top turret the other day. Is it worth mounting(+~10 m view +~ 100 hp) with that huge tumor on the top? Also I am currently using the middle gun, 100 mm, and it is not that bad. Does the increase in alpha justify the lack of pen and DPM of the top gun?? Thanks

Devil

Edited by Devil666, Jul 18 2018 - 15:05.

Gothraul #7 Posted Jul 18 2018 - 18:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 2061 battles

View PostDevil666, on Jul 18 2018 - 15:04, said:

I just unlocked the top turret the other day. Is it worth mounting(+~10 m view +~ 100 hp) with that huge tumor on the top? Also I am currently using the middle gun, 100 mm, and it is not that bad. Does the increase in alpha justify the lack of pen and DPM of the top gun?? Thanks

Devil

My advice is to keep using the stock turret and ignore the top gun.

Tijo #8 Posted Jul 20 2018 - 02:00

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3688 battles

The AMX65T is very painful to play, it's a mediocre HT in a hell tier (tier 8 being the worst tier to play at the moment with the current match making)

I suspect the only reason why Wargaming is keeping it as it is to bait people into paying for free exp to skip to tier 9.

I am grinding it now and grinding my teeth every minute of it.

Either I'll get past it or give up on this crap altogether.

Thanks for the advice on turret mind you, I think the stock turret with 100mm gun may be the way to go. And saves me 50k exp of research on the 120mmm gun

PresidentJ #9 Posted Jul 25 2018 - 22:06

Captain

• Players
  • 26672 battles
  • [AR-15] AR-15
Amx 65T is quite painful to play. It is among the worst tanks I have ever played. I am currently running the top gun and turret which is definitely arguably a downgrade in performance. The problem with this tank is the mobility does not match the armor scheme. I think a armor upgrade to the front or at least the turret would help this tank perform better. As it stands now, the T29 could easily do better than this thing.

Frostblitz20 #10 Posted Jul 25 2018 - 22:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3315 battles
  • [VAHLA] VAHLA
They need to make this into a hull down tank to make it playable imo just give the thing a turret buff.

_Gungrave_ #11 Posted Jul 25 2018 - 22:40

Major

• Players
  • 43072 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View PostFrostblitz20, on Jul 25 2018 - 22:09, said:

They need to make this into a hull down tank to make it playable imo just give the thing a turret buff.

AKA swapping the turrets around and actually making the module progression more in line with the tier 9 and 10. Doing so would require the stock turret on the tier 9 to be changed or removed.

View PostDirizon, on Jul 14 2018 - 09:51, said:

First things first, AMX65T has a very bad reputation, alot to do with because people 'expect' it to be fast like AMX fifty and FCM5  tier 8s. Well, that is completely unaccommodating and fallacy, maybe lunacy, as AMX fifty and FCM5 are ridiculously fast having the mobility of many tier 8 medium tanks. Who asks for that, that is ridiculous. AMX65T has quite a deal higher HP/T, better calculated effective terrain resting traverse rates advantages over lS3, Patriot -- while having equal to or greater reverse and top speed. IS3s terrain resistances advantage are not that much better, and get canceled out by AMX65Ts excellent heavy tank HP/T, and Chrysler K has far lower top speed cap, which ends up rev redlining almost immediately. AMX65T is definitely the 3rd quickest tier 8 heavy tank, and would be the fastest if the other two French heavy tanks did not exist because they are actually mediums. 

It gets expensive, understandably, but use the stock gun. DCA 9cm. The gold ammunition is fine, keeping you effective in higher tiering. The tank loses weight and gets even faster, does not suffer bad aim-time and turret dispersion penalty, the velocity remains high, and although the accuracy drops .38 is still good on a tier 8 heavy tank. The DPM increase is huge. 

Improvements? Well l think tanks like King Tiger, KV4, VK45A, T32 are in need of improvement more so.  Those aside, l guess making the view range +1Om more to 38Om makes sense, given it is a tank with a turret upgrade which should be increasing view range. lncreasing the entire front body to 11Omm like the lower portion, instead of 9O-1OOmm,  and the side armour to 8Omm entirely, not lowering to 6Omm so the tank can try side scrapes more often. 

Considering you haven't played the 65T its no surprise you don't understand why the tank has such a bad reputation. Its not an issue of people having expectations about the tank. Simple fact is the tank is far too sluggish and slow for what it is. Besides that the upgraded turret while having decent armor all of that is rendedered useless by the autopen tumor on top. If you stick with the 100mm gun and stock turret configuration you're basically forced into a sniping role because the turret won't always hold up in a fight.

Honestly I found the tier 7 to be more enjoyable than the tier 8.

Edited by _Gungrave_, Jul 25 2018 - 22:47.

QuicksilverJPR #12 Posted Jul 26 2018 - 19:12

Major

• Players
  • 26310 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View Post_Gungrave_, on Jul 25 2018 - 16:40, said:

AKA swapping the turrets around and actually making the module progression more in line with the tier 9 and 10. Doing so would require the stock turret on the tier 9 to be changed or removed.

Considering you haven't played the 65T its no surprise you don't understand why the tank has such a bad reputation. Its not an issue of people having expectations about the tank. Simple fact is the tank is far too sluggish and slow for what it is. Besides that the upgraded turret while having decent armor all of that is rendedered useless by the autopen tumor on top. If you stick with the 100mm gun and stock turret configuration you're basically forced into a sniping role because the turret won't always hold up in a fight.

Honestly I found the tier 7 to be more enjoyable than the tier 8.

I'm going to eventually re-buy the tier 7 and play the hell out of it.  It's actually quite a good tank at that tier...

The 65t however, is a steaming pile.  I can't wait to get past this thing...

kermitfrg #13 Posted Aug 06 2018 - 04:52

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12823 battles
I enjoy the AMX65T, I got around 10k xp left before the tier 9. I find it good with the top 120mm gun and the top turret. The alpha is really nice, and the aim time is better I believe, with the right modules too. I usually try to find ridges I can use since the armor of the AMX is nice on an incline if you look on tanks.gg you can see ridges are really to your advantage. Honestly this is a fun tank; I thought it was bad at first, but it got to me. Seems like it is a good practice for the t9/t10 since I hear they are upgrade :) 

_Gungrave_ #14 Posted Aug 06 2018 - 05:10

Major

• Players
  • 43072 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View PostQuicksilverJPR, on Jul 26 2018 - 19:12, said:

I'm going to eventually re-buy the tier 7 and play the hell out of it.  It's actually quite a good tank at that tier...

The 65t however, is a steaming pile.  I can't wait to get past this thing...

Honestly...free XP past the tier 8 or wait until they bring back Frontlines for tier 8. Frontline is how I finished the entire AMX 65T grind and its actually a fairly capable tank at its own tier if you don't mind the occasional use of gold when facing a German or Russian heavy.

Ape_Drape #15 Posted Aug 07 2018 - 15:37

Captain

• Players
  • 40801 battles
  • [SOT] SOT
The only proper way to play the 65t is to not play it.

AZandEL #16 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 00:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28048 battles

View PostSenHai, on Jul 14 2018 - 05:45, said:

AMX 65 is utterly outclassed with no redeeming features. Its purpose is to piss people off so much that they stop the line right there. Actually most of the French heavy line is a joke and WG has forgotten about it while they crank out entire new Countries instead. Best thing to do is save yourself the grief and spend time on literally any other line at that point.

Fanatyzm #17 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 22:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6447 battles
  • [XCUP] XCUP

View PostDirizon, on Jul 14 2018 - 02:51, said:

I don't think the T32 needs many improvements. Maybe slightly better reload time, accuracy, penetration or at least a combination of 2 or more of those options. Maybe a faster traverse speed and accuracy considering its origins as a medium tank?

Fanatyzm #18 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 22:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6447 battles
  • [XCUP] XCUP

View PostAZandEL, on Aug 16 2018 - 17:40, said:

AMX 65 is utterly outclassed with no redeeming features. Its purpose is to piss people off so much that they stop the line right there. Actually most of the French heavy line is a joke and WG has forgotten about it while they crank out entire new Countries instead. Best thing to do is save yourself the grief and spend time on literally any other line at that point.

id hate to say it, but youre right lmbo. all you need to do to see this is truth is to look at the M4 45's 105mm stats and youll realize its been years since they even looked in its general direction.

SenHai #19 Posted Sep 21 2018 - 23:13

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16077 battles
Been plying the tank more, I still believe its frontal hull needs more armor, but if you play carefully and don't frontline with it, you can manage with either of its gun choices. Hopefully they look at it again in the future

Also tagged with French, Heavy tank, suggestion, discussion, buff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users