Jump to content


Lag/Server Reticle Issue - advice welcome

Lag server reticle

  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Panzer_74 #1 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 10:30

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 21684 battles
  • 443
  • Member since:
    06-23-2012

Hi all

 

Looking for some help. Noticed over last few days of soccer mode that there was a huge server reticle lag that made it almost impossible to line up a shot. Took a second or more for the 2 reticles to line up. Apologies to my team mates.. 

 

I had been playing around with reticle display settings, but that should not effect performance.

 

I got my kid to try his account on my computer, and no problem whatsoever. We replicated the reticle settings (and any others that differed), and all is well on his account. (May have missed something - but should be pretty close)

 

I am used to poor ping living in Australia, but ping is steady (and bad) for both accounts.

Same PC, same settings, same network, no mods  - so why such a dramatic difference in behaviour?

 

This has been the same for a few days now. As soccer finished today, I tried both accounts just in the tutorial mode to see what happened, and the same result. One account massively unresponsive, the other fine. No server reticle in the tutorial mode, but the delay in aiming is extremely noticeable.

 

Any suggestions from the computer wizzkids out there? I'll either log a job or try a complete reinstall over next few days if no one has any ideas. (probably reinstall is my best bet)

Not being playing many Randoms since frontline finished, and I won't be trying until I am sure this lag issue is sorted.



MCBAIN4EVER #2 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 10:41

    Captain

  • Players
  • 14049 battles
  • 1,665
  • [AWOO] AWOO
  • Member since:
    11-19-2013
Don't use server reticle, I play with 200ms and it doesn't work at all.



Panzer_74 #3 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 10:51

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 21684 battles
  • 443
  • Member since:
    06-23-2012

View PostMCBAIN4EVER, on Jul 30 2018 - 09:41, said:

Don't use server reticle, I play with 200ms and it doesn't work at all.

 

I think the server reticle is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. Just makes the delay to line up a shot really noticeable, when the server reticle circle drifts across a second later.

When I turn server reticle off, there is still a lack of responsiveness to aim.



drgnrdr6 #4 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 12:25

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 30736 battles
  • 155
  • [TONKX] TONKX
  • Member since:
    10-12-2011

Did you ever think that it is not lag per se but your hard drive? I was having "lag" issues

with getting into battle's late sometimes as much as 10 seconds after the game started.

I cured it by switching my games to a SSD now i am in battle with all the others on my 

team. Also I use the server reticle and it works fine.



Panzer_74 #5 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 12:44

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 21684 battles
  • 443
  • Member since:
    06-23-2012

View Postdrgnrdr6, on Jul 30 2018 - 11:25, said:

Did you ever think that it is not lag per se but your hard drive? I was having "lag" issues

with getting into battle's late sometimes as much as 10 seconds after the game started.

I cured it by switching my games to a SSD now i am in battle with all the others on my 

team. Also I use the server reticle and it works fine.

 

No. I have an SSD now, and I'm usually in games before the countdown starts. Have to say an SSD has made a huge difference to gaming experience.

 

As I said in OP - since I had this problem, I've tried a second account on the same hardware, with differing results. One account is working fine, whereas one is unusable.

I thought perhaps some preference settings may have caused a corruption somewhere for my account alone on this PC. I cleaned out the preference.xml file and all the cached settings, but issue remains. 

 

Looks like someone else was having issues a month back with soccer mode:

 

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/581371-laggy-server-reticle-in-soccer-mode/

 

Weird thing for me is was fine up till only a few days ago.

 

 


Edited by Panzer_74, Jul 30 2018 - 12:44.


SacherMasoc #6 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 13:37

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 8548 battles
  • 739
  • Member since:
    01-07-2016
My NA account is semi-retired, but I was playing from New Zealand with similar lag issues. I don't play fun modes, but I recommend Awfultanker ServerMarker. Keep up with current versions, install and check the reticle in the client. It saves my life every time.

GeorgePreddy #7 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 13:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 14345 battles
  • 10,047
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG
  • Member since:
    04-11-2013

View PostMCBAIN4EVER, on Jul 30 2018 - 06:41, said:

Don't use server reticle, I play with 200ms and it doesn't work at all.
 

 

Why do you not want to see where your shot is actually going to go, no matter what your ping is.

 

With terrible ping, using the server reticle is MORE important.  Isn't it ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Da_Craw #8 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 14:14

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 25990 battles
  • 2,980
  • [DOG5] DOG5
  • Member since:
    05-30-2014
Are the skill levels of the crew similar on both accounts?

TreadBreaker37 #9 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 15:48

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 20254 battles
  • 373
  • [FINE] FINE
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jul 30 2018 - 07:54, said:

 

Why do you not want to see where your shot is actually going to go, no matter what your ping is.

 

With terrible ping, using the server reticle is MORE important.  Isn't it ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 It's not rocket science. If you have to wait for the server to reply where the reticle is with 200ms ping it's going to be choppy as hell. It's just common sense. Try to aim at a weak spot with chop like that. It just doesn't happen. 

MiddleAgedNoob #10 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 15:54

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 12841 battles
  • 216
  • [MARV] MARV
  • Member since:
    10-29-2016

View PostPanzer_74, on Jul 30 2018 - 06:44, said:

 

As I said in OP - since I had this problem, I've tried a second account on the same hardware, with differing results. One account is working fine, whereas one is unusable.

I thought perhaps some preference settings may have caused a corruption somewhere for my account alone on this PC. I cleaned out the preference.xml file and all the cached settings, but issue remains. 

 

Did your son use the same Windows account or a different one?  I wonder if you have something running in the background that is causing lag, which is present in your Windows account, but not his.  Also, are you both using the same mods?  You might want to check the Task Manager and see if there are differences when he is logged in or when you are.

 

GLHF



MCBAIN4EVER #11 Posted Jul 30 2018 - 15:55

    Captain

  • Players
  • 14049 battles
  • 1,665
  • [AWOO] AWOO
  • Member since:
    11-19-2013

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jul 30 2018 - 12:54, said:

 

Why do you not want to see where your shot is actually going to go, no matter what your ping is.

 

With terrible ping, using the server reticle is MORE important.  Isn't it ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Server reticle delays my shots and [edited] with my brain, I tend to aim earlier to prevent snapshots and I lead most of my shots. 

 

I have to say my marksmanship is superb even with my ping and no sv reticle :P

 

 



Panzer_74 #12 Posted Jul 31 2018 - 00:26

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 21684 battles
  • 443
  • Member since:
    06-23-2012

View PostSacherMasoc, on Jul 30 2018 - 12:37, said:

My NA account is semi-retired, but I was playing from New Zealand with similar lag issues. I don't play fun modes, but I recommend Awfultanker ServerMarker. Keep up with current versions, install and check the reticle in the client. It saves my life every time.

 

Thanks for suggestion. Will have a look, but as this is new behavior, and not a long standing issue - I'd rather try to find the cause of the issue, rather than try and adapt to a new problem.

View PostDa_Craw, on Jul 30 2018 - 13:14, said:

Are the skill levels of the crew similar on both accounts?

 

The account that is having lag problems has better crews (my account), but as the issue started happening in soccer mode, all crews are the same. Crew skills do not work in this mode.

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Jul 30 2018 - 14:54, said:

Did your son use the same Windows account or a different one?  I wonder if you have something running in the background that is causing lag, which is present in your Windows account, but not his.  Also, are you both using the same mods?  You might want to check the Task Manager and see if there are differences when he is logged in or when you are.

 

GLHF

 

Same windows account. Basically just did a disconnect from server, and then log straight back into the game under a different account on the same windows login. My son usually doesn't use my PC, and correct me if I'm wrong - but if I did use mods, would not his account access the same mods under the same windows login?

You may be on to something though. I don't usually use mods, but at some time recently I downloaded a mod pack from the WOT hub to play around with reticles. Saw that some streamers had reticles that looked better than the vanilla options. I didn't think the timing lined up with when the problem first displayed - so I didn't make the connection. I have removed all traces of mods and problem is persisting. Something may have got broken in the background though. Still find it odd that if some remnant of a mod was causing the issue, that the same behavior would not display in 2 accounts running under the same conditions on the same PC login.


 

Thanks for input guys.







Also tagged with Lag, server reticle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users