Coupon - Universal Use

Coupons Premium shop Purchase premium gold coupon exclusion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Coupon - Universal Use (11 members have cast votes)

Does removing the coupon exclusion rules make sense?

1. Yes (7 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

2. Partially (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. No (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Hawk_Eye4077 #1 Posted Aug 03 2018 - 23:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 19677 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

Context:

The game will occasionally give you coupons to spend in the premium shop.  However, the coupons have exclusions or constraints.  Generally speaking, they cannot be used on any package discounted or temporarily offered.  They also can only be used on items in whatever shop they are for.  So far, I have seen two types of coupons: Discounts and gold bonus for spending a certain amount. 

Suggestion:

I think it would be in the best interest of Wargaming to do the following two things.

1. Remove the restrictions on coupons.  If you want to give them to us, we should be able to use them anywhere in the shop.  I'll explain why later.

2. Allow for coupons to be used across games.  For instance, there may not be anything of interest in Tanks, but there is in Warships.  There are a number of coupons I have let expire mainly because I saw nothing on Tanks I wanted.

Further Explanation for Point One

This came up after I tried to use a gold bonus coupon.  The deal was if you spent $25USD, you got a bonus 890 gold.  I spent $35, but couldn't get the coupon to work and asked for them to help by manually adding the gold.  They were unable to.  If you want to see their polite response, it's under spoiler 3.  Spoiler 2 contains their policy explanation, which I detailed above. 

However, this doesn't make sense.  If the goal is to get players to spend an amount, whether the pack is discounted or not should have no bearing.  There are very few things in the shop I don't have and are also not on sale.  If I were to buy a low tier tank I don't want to get the gold compensation and use the coupon, that's a waste of money on my part, as it may not get me what I'm interested in. 

I tried to get a reason for why there is a restriction on coupon use.  A response to this is in Spoiler 3.  The gist is that discounted items do not need to be discounted further. 

When I use a coupon on real goods, they can have stipulations also.  However, they can also say "20% off anything in the store"  Discounts are usually given when there is a set amount of an item and the retailer is trying to clear the shelves for new merchandise. 

These are virtual goods.  There is an infinite amount of them and infinite shelf space to hold them.

Speaking directly to the point of whether a discounted item needs to be further discounted, it depends.  I think there are many people on a budget and we'd all appreciate it.  I return to my point above about making coupons more rare.  If the restriction was removed, but they were more rare, I'd be more interested in using them. 

Let's run some numbers, using some very easy to work with numbers.  If we had a 20% coupon and could use it on two items, one priced $25 and the other priced $100, how would the numbers vary?

The $100 package would change to $80, saving you $20.

The $25 package would change to $20, saving you $5. 

We're using the same coupon, but suddenly the value changes because we used it on a more expensive item.  The point is that $100 packages are often sold on some discount.  The goods are virtual and in an infinite supply.  To some extent, the goods are identical.  In one case we save $20, the company makes $80.  In another case, we save $5 and the company makes $20.  I think all parties involved would prefer the second scenario being possible. 

Conclusion: If the exclusion was done away with, the products being sold would be more affordable and the company could improve sales across the games. 

Below are three excerpts from conversations

Spoiler: Third Conversation - Reason for being unable to use coupon.

Spoiler : Second Conversation - Policy on Coupon

Spoiler : First Conversation - Unable to credit account after purchase

PapioTitan #2 Posted Aug 04 2018 - 00:20

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 45392 battles
I had to vote no. The normal rules of wares and barter don't apply to a pixel game. Nothing has real value therefore they can set the rules and be as upfront (or not) about their coupons as they see fit. 

the_dude_76 #3 Posted Aug 04 2018 - 00:26

Major

• Players
  • 34040 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

There has never been a coupon created by any company anywhere that can be used on things that are already on sale. 

The fact that you're renting pixels rather than buying physical goods is largely irrelevant.

Block Quote

Conclusion: If the exclusion was done away with, the products being sold would be more affordable and the company could improve sales across the games. 

What makes you think they need to improve sales? Making the same profit by selling more goods doesn't make any sense when the market supports the current prices. Sure, it'd be great for us but how exactly would WG benefit??

Hawk_Eye4077 #4 Posted Aug 04 2018 - 03:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 19677 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

In my particular case, there often are no things I want to buy in the shop that are not on discount.  Coupons are therefore not that useful for me.  In terms of wargaming making money off me, removing exclusions would cause me to buy more.

Second, for coupons that have a threshold spending amount, like spending $25 USD in order to get a set amount of gold back, it doesn't make sense to consider whether the item is on sale.  If we buy a $50 item on sale, why is that not valid, but a $25 standard item is?

the_dude_76 #5 Posted Aug 04 2018 - 17:00

Major

• Players
  • 34040 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View PostHawk_Eye4077, on Aug 03 2018 - 20:56, said:

In my particular case, there often are no things I want to buy in the shop that are not on discount.  Coupons are therefore not that useful for me.  In terms of wargaming making money off me, removing exclusions would cause me to buy more.

Second, for coupons that have a threshold spending amount, like spending $25 USD in order to get a set amount of gold back, it doesn't make sense to consider whether the item is on sale.  If we buy a $50 item on sale, why is that not valid, but a $25 standard item is?

I don't use my coupons either, but I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything by not doing so. Just because the two of us consider them to be basically worthless doesn't mean others aren't taking advantage of them. Every deal doesn't need to to satisfy every player.

Altwar #6 Posted Aug 04 2018 - 18:27

Major

• Players
  • 58299 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-
I voted partially.   I understand they don't want to stack discounts on already discounted items in the premium shop.   But what I would like is to be able to use the coupon across the platforms.  I'm fairly much content with the 160-ish tanks I have in WoT which include plenty of premiums, but in WoWs, I'd love to be able to use the coupon I have right now to pick up a ship and add to my fledgling fleet.   I've received a few 20% and 30% coupons in WoT and have let them expire.  Platform wide and I'm ready to spend!

Hawk_Eye4077 #7 Posted Aug 04 2018 - 21:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 19677 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

I can grant the validity of not wanting to stack coupons.  Threshold coupons I'll still make the case that it shouldn't matter.

My experience has been shopping at Kohl's.  Some stuff I buy may be on sale.  When I get to the counter, they scratch off some tickets and see how much more the purchase is discounted. 

They could have a coupon type that has a lesser discount, ten percent as an example, and allow universal usage.  More types work out for everyone. 

Also tagged with Coupons, Premium shop, Purchase, premium, gold, coupon, exclusion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users