How do i improve?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Zeeester #1 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 15:48

Private

• Players
  • 1998 battles
  • [VEN0M] VEN0M
I have about 1700 or so games right now. I always don't feel like I am making a big impact on any games I play and i really don't know how to improve. I have watched streams and YT videos but i just seem to suck. I also recently learned that I should play like a couple thousand tier 5 games before moving up but still i feel that I don't know what to do. Do i need to be more patient? Is there something I'm missing? Lol how do i get gud and not and stop being [edited]man...

YANKEE137 #2 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 15:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 10905 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Start Training your crews. 100% is a minimum and a commander with sixth sense is vital if you want to do better.  It took me 4000 games to figure this out and only just now starting to get decent skilled crews in place.  You need to identify a couple of lines to focus on and back them up with compatible premiums.  Use  XP boosters when you have them..

Edited by YANKEE137, Aug 08 2018 - 16:02.

Zanarkand_C #3 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 15:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28627 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO
You're not always going to make an impact on the game so don't expect to. Sometimes your team is too good and you do 0 dmg or your team is too bad and you do... 0 dmg lol Just keep playing and you'll find a rhythm.

grandthefttankV #4 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 16:00

Captain

• Players
  • 31909 battles
  • [DBLTG] DBLTG
The secret is to buy a premium tank with lots of troll armor.

venom286 #5 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 16:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39461 battles
  • [FARTZ] FARTZ
watch people play on twitch and youtube that will help .and just play more honestly .also make sure you have a computer that can handle this game.when i first started i played 15 k battles on a very overpriced laptop, i got about 10 fps i could not go to heavly bush areas and i had to stop and aim for 5 seconds before shooting. before i bought a computer a while back i get 100 fps on high now but still play on lowest settings cause i just dont like all the fancy graphics.also read and study tanks learn the weak spots https://tanks.gg/tank/mauschen/model use this site to check out weak spots. hope that helps but a big part of it is just play more .i am still trying get better and learn.anyways good luck .also good luck reading this.

Edited by venom286, Aug 08 2018 - 16:42.

NiteDog #6 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 16:14

Major

• Players
  • 27729 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Ask Guido1212 for help reviewing your replays. He has helped many here improve. Here is his YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzd4YPYoyDgTp6XBCdzoNLA/featured

YANKEE137 #7 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 16:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 10905 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

View PostNiteDog, on Aug 08 2018 - 16:14, said:

Ask Guido1212 for help reviewing your replays. He has helped many here improve. Here is his YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzd4YPYoyDgTp6XBCdzoNLA/featured

Yes he's authentic. Guido is a teacher.  There are some very popular video guys out there who really don't show anything but edited highlight reels that have no learning value.

Edited by YANKEE137, Aug 08 2018 - 16:17.

BattlecryGWJ #8 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 16:53

Major

• Players
  • 35103 battles
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD

Ok, taking a quick look at your numbers, your survival % is rather low as is your damage ratio.  I suspect that you're being too aggressive early, and perhaps isolating yourself from support from your teammates so you're taking a lot of early damage and getting sent back to the garage.  So the first lesson is probably: patience.  Don't try to force things and you'll survive longer, the longer you survive the more opportunities you have to influence the outcome of the fight, but once you're dead you can't influence what happens the rest of the fight.  If you're not familiar with the spotting mechanics Wargaming put out a video (available on youtube) trying to explain them, which is somewhat helpful, but understanding them should help you survive longer as well.  Additionally, I suspect that when you do hit your shots that you might not be getting a lot of penetrating hits.  I'd suggest looking for the video on penetration mechanics and learning about how the armor is modeled on the tanks as it isn't uniform across the surfaces, so there are weaker points where your shots are more likely to penetrate and do damage.

In short: Stay alive longer so that you can keep your gun in the fight so that you can do more damage.

More conceptually, one of the biggest leaps for most players is to think of the game as a strategy game rather than a shooter.  Typically the players who do best don't just learn the mechanics of the game (which are still very important), but they learn proper positioning and have high situational awareness.  To that end:

• Pay attention to what your team is doing and adjust to them, don't expect your team to adjust to you.
  • If you're exposing yourself to spot opponents that your teammates can't shoot, you're wasting your hit points.
  • If your team leaves a side open going there on your own makes you an easy kill.  Remember that you don't have to prevent the opposing team from getting to your cap, you just have to prevent them from capping out, so your tank is likely better positioned on the side of cap that your team ran to, but you can still stay watching cap.  Or you can try to pull the lemming train along to make sure that everyone doesn't bog down and simply wait to get surrounded.
  • Track the enemy tanks.  If you're not sure how many tanks are in front of you knowing what has been spotted elsewhere can give you a good idea of what you're facing.
  • Know when to push and when to fall back.  This can take some time to develop, but it really stems from having an awareness of what's happening elsewhere on the battlefield.  If the enemy team is loaded up on the other flank you have the opportunity to push a weak flank.  If they're weak on the other flank, where is your fall back point if the enemy pushes you?  If you've won your flank, should you keep pushing or should you fall back to cover base?

StoneTitan #9 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 17:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3690 battles
LOL...one of my downfalls is lack of patience.;)  Anyway, try concentrating on one tank at a time.  Find out how that tank is supposed to by played and try it in multiple maps and see how it goes, then move on to the next tank, etc.

Guido1212 #10 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 18:15

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 77399 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL

View PostZeeester, on Aug 08 2018 - 14:48, said:

I have about 1700 or so games right now. I always don't feel like I am making a big impact on any games I play and i really don't know how to improve. I have watched streams and YT videos but i just seem to suck. I also recently learned that I should play like a couple thousand tier 5 games before moving up but still i feel that I don't know what to do. Do i need to be more patient? Is there something I'm missing? Lol how do i get gud and not and stop being [edited]man...

Your top three vehicles are very difficult to do well in.  They're all good vehicles, but you have to know what you are doing to get the most from them.  The Soviet tanks you are grinding are a good start.  Stick with those for now.  the premiums can make credits to ease the grind, so keep them going, but understand that a unskilled player in a CDC is not going have many good days in it.

As for what exactly you can do, we'd have to see some examples of game play.  The link to my channel is in my sig.

Cheers,

Guido

Pipinghot #11 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 18:47

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostZeeester, on Aug 08 2018 - 09:48, said:

The first thing you need to know is that you don't have any reason to feel bad, lots of people (most of them, really) go through the same thing you're experiencing. This game is "easy to learn", but it's also extremely competitive and hard to improve at. There is no "easy mode" in this game, there are no computer AI opponents that let you get better without beating you up. Everything about WoT is pure PvP competition, and no one is going to let you win for free. So there's that, just understand that other people want to win too, and it's harder to beat people than it is to beat computer opponents.

The best thing you can do is try to learn one thing at a time. Maybe you read articles, maybe you watch videos, maybe you read the wiki - whatever method you use to learn things, don't try to learn it all at once.

Let's say you just read an article that explains the right way to use bushes to shoot at people without getting spotted. Now you have to practice. For the next 10-20 battles, pick tanks that are good at being sneaky (maybe some TD"s) and every battle practice this new skill of using bushes to shoot at people without getting spotted. Of course you want to win if you can, but the important thing is to practice your skill. Then spend another 10-20 battles playing a non-sneaky tank and do the same thing. It's harder to be sneaky in medium or heavy tanks than in a TD, so you have to start learning how bushes are different for different kinds of tanks.

Now let's say you watched a video about how the spotting mechanics work. for your next 10-20 battles really focus on noticing who gets spotted and who doesn't, think about why they got spotted and how they got spotted. Did they get spotted because they were dumb, or because the person who spotted them was extra smart? Spend some time in bushes trying to spot people, and start to think about how far away they are when you spot them. When you spot them were they firing their gun? ...poking around a corner? ...trying to hide in a bush? ...just driving across a field not doing anything else yet? How easy or hard is it to spot different kinds of tanks, how far away are they getting spotted, and what are they doing when it happens? Again, you obviously want to be playing and trying to win these battles, but your main goal is to practice understanding the spotting system.

Now keep on repeating this pattern. Every time you learn something new, go play a bunch of battles and practice learning and understanding that new thing. You can't get better by just clicking "Battle" and hoping that knowledge magically soaks into your brain. Well, technically you can "get better" that way, but not by very much. There is a lot to learn in WoT and the best way to learn it is by deliberately keeping your mind working while you're playing.

So... now let's talk about your study program. You were right about something you said earlier, you should indeed play a couple of thousand Tier 5 games before moving up, but you also sound like someone who wants to make those battles really count for something. You want to make sure that you get the maximum benefit from those battles and really improve your game play.

Start by bookmarking this page on the Wiki, for the "Battle Mechanics", the Battle Mechanics page should be your main 'study guide' that you an supplement with other articles and videos.

http://wiki.wargamin...attle_Mechanics

That page has tons of information on it. Do not get the idea that you're going to read it once and learn everything. The first time you read it, read the whole thing, do not try to memorize it and understand that a lot of it will not make any sense the first time you read it. There is some pretty confusing stuff in there when you're new, but you will get it all eventually, if you are patient.

After you have read the whole thing one time, start using it to learn individual tidbits that you can practice. There are many individual lessons on that page, read it until you learn something new, then go play 10-20 battles as you try to drill that new knowledge into your brain. Now start reading again until you get to the next new thing, now go play 10-20 battles where you try to drill in that new thing.

And, of course, you want to keep having fun while you're getting better. So if you need days when you just click "Battle" and start shooting at things, that's ok too. This is a game after all, you don't want to turn it into a job or task that you have to complete every day. Only you can decide how to split up your time between focusing on improving vs. just playing for the sake of playing, just make sure you keep it fun for yourself while you're working at improving.

Good luck and happy tanking.

Edited by Pipinghot, Aug 08 2018 - 22:14.

RIA1911 #12 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 20:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6047 battles

Zeeester,  I'm far from being a great tanker by the standards of this game> Plus i'm an older player here. Since i'm not the best tanker, I've been trying to get better at supporting my team and  teammates(i've always done this though).

This tactic of support also is highly valuable when you are mid and lowest tier in battles. Shooting tracks, watching your teams flanks, blowing up buildings to expose the enemy in battle, even  taking a couple hits to keep you team mates alive and sometimes watching the weak flank to give warning when trouble approaches( i do this say on lemming teams , but a never go far from support, if in a fast tank, I'll spot, ping and run).

When you support your teammates , you also get to see how good players use location and tactics ,, also you can see the mistakes of the bad. 

One thing i've also done , when i see i have good players helping each other , i also will try to flank and distract(get the opposing players to look at me) so the  the other players on my team can attack. It can be fun getting 4/5 players on a flank to go after you while your team rolls up the flank. Just remember this is very risky, a lot of players won't attack till too late.

Also work on always using cover when you can, and keep your tanking moving as much as possible, makes it harder for arty.

riff_ #13 Posted Aug 08 2018 - 22:52

Major

• Players
  • 27916 battles

View PostZeeester, on Aug 08 2018 - 09:48, said:

Hello Zeeester,

What you are going through is not uncommon.  If you like playing tanks stick with it.  It will get better.  I looks like, from your post, you already know what do with playing more games at tier 5 and when you asked about being more patient.  Try read this from Guido.  Cannot find better advise for a new player.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/366977-thoughts-at-37k/

GL HF

F1O1 #14 Posted Aug 10 2018 - 03:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 50 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

Playing better is very easy. No sweat.

First thing you do, is buy tier Vl  oi  heavy tank. Quickly get to the 14.9cm short barrel howitzer, and mount it. Shoot at vehicles then, whenever possible as quickly possible. Don't aim, just shoot. The only aiming you need to do, is to make sure 75% of your reticle closes in on enemy tank space. Then shoot, and back away. Don't drive out into the open, stay near city limits and corners as often as you can, so you are not singled out and have lots of cover. This takes away good players largest advantages over you, such as speed, camo, view range. And in turn, makes you as a player threatening to them. This same short barrel howitzer, will also immediately work on ONI, oho, even stock - and they even all have the same engine upgrade so no painful grinds. Your exclusive weapon, will keep you contributing, annoying, and impactful - wherever and whenever. As soon as you get to Type 4/5, start paying thousands of credits for an even better, even more impactful, even more accurate and faster aiming, better shell velocity 15cm long barrel howitzer. This increases your lethality and impact, as well as having an excellently armoured tank combat effectively resilient to most standard med/heavy/light tank tier X AP projectiles, being usually only vulnerable to other Type 5, TDs AP, and gold rounds. So people usually have to PAY PREM, to deal with you. The joke is on them. Again, stay near city locations, hold corners, don't spend time aiming, just fire. Advice cannot be any better than this, and you will immediately improve with results.

2.  This usually requires more free exp, as vehicles leading up to the lines are not too conducive or good. But the top tiers are excellent. Object 268 V4 is an excellent vehicle with great frontal armour, even good forgiving side armour, very small weaknesses, speed, camo. Although the gun is unreliable to say the least, the TD is fast and very well protected, and still offers very good soft gun stats that even if inaccurate, it quickly aims to max effect, allowing you to shoot quicker. The armour very often requires gold ammunition to defeat it, and often makes use of game mechanic rules to simply cause automatic ricochets, giving you an incredible advantage. And not only do you have armour, you have great speed for a TD, allowing you to better avoid light/med tanks. Conqueror GC  /  M53/M55 / M40/M43 are excellent artillery, easy to use and convenient in their operation. They can target good enemies and bad enemies alike, easily. They require very little skill to operate, yet can yield useful results with little fear in return - allowing you ease of mind. The ability to bombardment stun, over wide ranges, allows your team to also capitalize in your supportive effort. Again, very little aiming is required beyond the circle closing down in aerial view, and then firing. Even a miss meters off, can have a very notable effect. 

The tricks here are simple. Be in things (vehicles) that naturally will make you better. For instance, heavy armour protection. Armour protection, workis passively regardless, if you are good or bad. It is ''always there''  Not needing to aim, for instance, sets you apart from others who need to aim, giving you a distinct time advantage, allowing you far less time being exposed. Why try to openly be clutch, when it is far easier to find a crutch and lean on it. These assistants, answers, to make you better - work against good and bad players alike, keeping you effective no matter the instance. With the resulting contribution, and confidence, then you slowly get better anyway. 

Boghie #15 Posted Aug 11 2018 - 15:04

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5987 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Zeeester,

Watch Guido's site.  Everybody - including him - is saying that.  They are saying that because it is true.  Personally, I would consider his instruction 'intermediate' - but that might be because I am rather slow or maybe because I am starting to pick up on stuff he is doing that he does not emphasize.

Here are some others that I view regularly - and, by that I mean all the time:

• 4 Tankers and a Dog:  He has playlists that cover scouting locations and tactics.  I find his 'college' classes on battle tactics always worth reviewing.  Here are some pre-reqs from his site on the user interface and scouting basics.  And, of course 'Know your role!!!'

• LemmingRush:  Some may find him a bit cocky, a bit sarcastic, maybe a bit salty.  Maybe, but I like his humor.  Anyway, get past it.  If you are a wimpy snowflake than this game is not for you.  My guess is that you are finding this forum because someone slammed you in battle chat.  That was one of my initial reasons.  Well, why watch someone who seems proud to rush with the lemmings :-).  Because, he explains his decisions well and sets up his videos well.  His recent stuff is exceptional.  He presents a tactic and games it directly - even if the comp, map, or enemy is not perfect for it.  Watch the adjustments.  Watch how he adjusts the meta.  Again intermediate to advanced.  But, there is an awful lot for beginners there.  Tell me that this video (the second half at least) is not the PERFECT discussion on hull down tactics in the World of Tanks.  

• Schoolbus1981:  I'm enjoying a new playlist focusing on specific tanks.  Multiple videos on a specific tank.  He actually started on Tier VI - I think by my recommendation.  We all ain't Unicums in Tier Xs - or, Tomatoes in Tier Xs for that matter.

• Finally, watch some folks live on Twitch.  They really can't explain - excepting Zeven - while they compete, but you can watch them adjusting.  It is the adjustments that are important.  You get to watch them in blowouts, close games, and the rest.  Mentioning Zeven again - here is his Twitch channel which seems to be active again.

Looking at your stats informs me that you die often and quickly.  That was noted earlier.  I also see that you have lots of 'Capture Points' and very few 'Defense Points'  Actually, together these are a better problems to have over someone who sits the red line - but it is still a problem.  Even though you are a Noob (like me - see, we are the same XVM color or close enough to it to it for me not to brag) you must learn to value yourself in a battle.  You do not have to be a superstar - but, you have to live.  Be a bit more careful, but don't get timid.  Think of it this way:  The good players will be good.  Their 'good' game may net the team an additional kill.  But, if you as a Noob get two more damaging shots than normal in a game than it will probably be a roffle stomp. The good players will feed on that and crunch your flank.  Stay alive, get one/two more tanks spotted and/or damaged, and be able to defend your cap.  All will get better.

Similarly, if you cannot flex back to your defense cap than you are overextended.  Capping to win is a loss leader.  Sometimes it has to be done, but remember the caps are kill zones.  If you are trying to win by capping and not by taking guns out of the game than you will lose more than you win.  Your ratio should be reversed.  You should have twice the defense points over capture points.  Please don't look at my stats :-), I'm learning this the hard way.

Zeeester #16 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 22:10

Private

• Players
  • 1998 battles
  • [VEN0M] VEN0M
Thank you guys so much. Tbh, reading the tips given, I have begun watching streams and YT videos. Zeven i found very helpful as in his streams he basically goes in depth with EVERYTHING. Idk what happened but something clicked. My last few games have already been substantially better than before. I think I just had the wrong mindset and I had to get passed it. Thanks to all the help!

Zeeester #17 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 22:24

Private

• Players
  • 1998 battles
  • [VEN0M] VEN0M

View PostGuido1212, on Aug 08 2018 - 17:15, said:

Your top three vehicles are very difficult to do well in.  They're all good vehicles, but you have to know what you are doing to get the most from them.  The Soviet tanks you are grinding are a good start.  Stick with those for now.  the premiums can make credits to ease the grind, so keep them going, but understand that a unskilled player in a CDC is not going have many good days in it.

As for what exactly you can do, we'd have to see some examples of game play.  The link to my channel is in my sig.

Cheers,

Guido

Wow, looking at your channel, taking the quality of the videos and the upload rate, you are clearly a very dedicated resource for helping players. As stated above, you can help critique my replays. Where should I send replays if its possible?

sleeper_agent #18 Posted Aug 20 2018 - 16:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 22931 battles
Watch a few youtubers with their replays, dont be so aggressive, shadow others in your class while on the battlefield and use your tanks strengths!!

Matilda_mk_VI #19 Posted Oct 25 2018 - 01:53

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 902 battles
I suggest picking a buddy, just a random player or maybe a name you've seen doing well in other battles and do what used to be called "mobile overwatch".  Cover them as they move, move making sure they are covering you, its nice if they know thats whats going on but not all will.  You can learn a lot by tagging along with a pro and you wont' run off in to trouble while you pick up the tips on where to hide, how to rock shots from behind cover and all the little things will slowly come to you.  I'm still new and a bit frustrated at times especially with certain tanks and no crew skills to speak of but applying what I learned in the military does help even though I'd suggest infantry guides over tank guides (at least in the tiers I've seen).  Frustration happens, get a coffee or whatever, pet the dog, relax for a few and hit it again...its a game and you'll catch it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users