• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

KRZYBooP #1 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 15:38

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3318 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Howdy!

Apart from Fjords, we will test a new game prototype. Although it already has a name, it may not proceed to release. It all depends on your feedback. It is only the first prototype and your opinion will define its fate.

It’s totally up to you.

The prototype can be labeled experimental. We want to check how the World of Tanks vehicles will behave on a spacious map where there is no clearly defined directions and the battle scenario depends on the terrain differences. The map size is 1000*1000.

The bases have atypical positions. They are located at J2 and J9. Such a positon should help all the vehicle classes: heavy armored and slow machines don’t waste much time before meeting each other in the central squares of the K line. Other classes have most of the map to find a place and avoid situations when you have to engage in a close combat against an armored opponent. Anyway, this is how we would like it to be.

1. The heavy meetup. The meeting point of these heavy buddies is located on the K line (on both sides of it). There are two tunnels within the K4-K7 squares. They provide good defense from the artillery fire, a possibility for armor-angling and an opportunity to attack the enemy right ahead.  All what a true heavy gentleman needs. Still, this part of the map is far from being isolated: the tunnels are split into two parts with a space between them. This space allows to support allies that are close to the center. If a straightforward attack is too boring for you, there is a hiding located near the tunnels’ ends. A perfect place to manoeuvre. Taking control over this part will allow you to capture the enemy base or support the allies who fight close to the center.
  2. Mobile heavies and medium tanks. These nimble beasts can partake in maneuverable battles in the top part of the map: A and B lines as well as the squares in the 5 and 6 columns have all it takes for this kind of action. The locations are dangerous enough, but having control over them will grant you an array of opportunities to deal damage. Be brave, but cautious as well.
  3. The center. Light tanks can use the location to spot the enemies. The nimble support vehicles can actively approach enemy positions. Use water to occupy the central cliff located in the D5-D6 squares. The location makes for an excellent lookout, but it is very dangerous as there is only one way to reach it and there is no other way back. Important! The speed in water remains pratctically the same and this part of the map is a perfect location for swift vehicles.
  4. Tank destroyers positions. Classic tank destroyers can occupy the J1, G3, E2, D1 squares (the symmetrical squares will go for the other team). Depending on the occupied position you can meet the opponent from different directions.
  5. Artillery. This vehicle type is deprived of the possibility to fire effectively when remaining in one place. Instead, it has to search for advantageous and secure firing points just like other machines. Please bear in mind that the map is open and the diligent enemy scouts can spot you. Change positions often. This is a must to ensure an effective artillery performance on this map.
  6. The early spotting comes with strings attached. As the map is open there are high chances to be easily spotted and destroyed. It’s better to say it right away: this is not a bug. It’s a feature and one of the most complicated and controversial things we want to test. All vehicles moving to the top part of the map risk to getting their sides riddled with shells. Creating possibilities to damage the enemy during the first moments of the battle and creating the ability to avoid are indispensable elements of our game. Just like close combat around a stone or rolling over the hill.

The Fjords updates will be put into action depending on the test results. It is for you to decide on the future of “Lillehammer”. Please share your feedback regarding this new game prototype. We will collect the reviews and understand whether we are on the right track or not.

Stay tuned and good luck on the battlefield!

Nudnick #2 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 15:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 24838 battles
It's good to see you working on a larger map. The mini-maps worked a few years ago, but with the new upper tier tanks the old maps are a joke.

Cognitive_Dissonance #3 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 15:58

Major

• Players
  • 40030 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

Anything that isn't corridor meta is welcome, and big . . . so yes please, release this map!!!

Wouldyoulookatthetime #4 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 16:14

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8212 battles
  • [MUTT] MUTT
yes please. this has the potential to be really great and i think it should be released. we need more maps especially big maps. WE need lillehammer

xrays_ #5 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 16:18

Major

• Players
  • 49102 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

Anyone else having DNS issues trying to find "confluence.wargaming.net" for the images?

x.

_Schneller_Heinz_ #6 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 16:22

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2912 battles
  • [PZRGD] PZRGD

It the right step getting more and bigger maps!

But the community is asking for maps for years now and what did we get instead, new OP premium vehicles and new nation tech trees.

I like this game a lot. 

But looking at the dwindling player population in particular on the NA server the new map effort seems a little too late now!

Edited by _Schneller_Heinz_, Aug 09 2018 - 16:23.

Augustus_Sohn #7 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 16:34

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2726 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
So is it on the test server for us to try out?

The_Iron_Bullet #8 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 16:34

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16807 battles
  • [AORT] AORT

Could you make this map even bigger? like 1200m or 1500m?

dnaman #9 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 16:35

Captain

• Players
  • 30319 battles
  • [DBLTG] DBLTG
Keep bringing the maps.  Also bring back others like Pearl River.

AndrewSledge #10 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 16:58

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31858 battles

View Postxrays_, on Aug 09 2018 - 08:18, said:

Anyone else having DNS issues trying to find "confluence.wargaming.net" for the images?

x.

Yeah, only one of the images is showing up for me.

TheDerpinator9000 #11 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 17:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10441 battles
  • [AR-PA] AR-PA
I like it, would like to see it maybe bigger, but it looks good.

YANKEE137 #12 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 17:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 10576 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

Sounds like a great idea! bring it on!

You guys should also consider rotating maps in and out of circulation to keep them from getting stale (once you have enough that is).

moogleslam #13 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 17:45

Major

• Players
  • 39713 battles
Is this the first time we've seen this, or is it derived from something we've seen in development in the past?

Rawrlynn #14 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 18:06

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 26413 battles
  • [CDN-T] CDN-T

we really need more open maps,  I like the look of this map, may change when played though as the lack of cover might be an entirely different issue where the fast lights/mediums dominate a bit much.  where as it is now there are maps you really don't want to be a certain type of tank on... like artillery and himmelsdorf,  

I think it's a good move but would probably better in larger scale to help alleviate the fast tank domination since not all tanks are fast. 

Omega_Weapon #15 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 18:26

Major

• Players
  • 48500 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
I really like the idea of an open map that allows more "traditional" tank combat as opposed to the artificial corridor maps we usually have to fight on. Eager to see more and eventually try this one out. 

Avalon304 #16 Posted Aug 09 2018 - 20:52

Major

• Players
  • 19940 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
I dont forsee this map working out all that well. As much as people complain about corridors, they complain about getting crossfired just as much. I think corridors are a requirement for good map design and flow.

Omega_Weapon #17 Posted Aug 10 2018 - 02:22

Major

• Players
  • 48500 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostAvalon304, on Aug 09 2018 - 14:52, said:

I dont forsee this map working out all that well. As much as people complain about corridors, they complain about getting crossfired just as much. I think corridors are a requirement for good map design and flow.

Corridors are only a requirement for bad players that can't think of anything other than what is directly to their front. Its true we have a lot of bad players, but we should still seize every opportunity to make this game better.

Avalon304 #18 Posted Aug 10 2018 - 08:04

Major

• Players
  • 19940 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Aug 09 2018 - 18:22, said:

Corridors are only a requirement for bad players that can't think of anything other than what is directly to their front. Its true we have a lot of bad players, but we should still seize every opportunity to make this game better.

Heress what Im predicting will happen if this map comes out:

A small group of players will love it because its an open map with corridors. The vast majority of players however will ultimately cry and complain that they keep getting shot in the sides and that theres no cover from TDs and light tanks. (Not to mention arty). (This is also the problem with Province: People cant manage crossfire lanes effectively).

A lot of people dont understand the maps have a flow to them and that corridors are a necessary component of establishing it. Every map in this game, even the seemingly open ones (like Prok) have them. Corridors arent the problem the problem is people who are only willing to travel down them and who dont consider other opportunities.

Omega_Weapon #19 Posted Aug 10 2018 - 09:42

Major

• Players
  • 48500 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostAvalon304, on Aug 10 2018 - 02:04, said:

Corridors arent the problem. The problem is people who are only willing to travel down them and who dont consider other opportunities.

Well said. I'd like to point out though with the current maps there are usually few good options (if any) to the prescribed corridors. I can work with that, but it dulls the game down somewhat.

Avalon304 #20 Posted Aug 10 2018 - 10:09

Major

• Players
  • 19940 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Aug 10 2018 - 01:42, said:

Well said. I'd like to point out though with the current maps there are usually few good options (if any) to the prescribed corridors. I can work with that, but it dulls the game down somewhat.

Well look at Paris. Its seems to be a universally hated map specifically because of its corridor style, yet everyone who I talk to seems to ignore the fact that the middle of the map is actually a viable playspace, and that each of the spoke roads running from the mid to the edge of the map provides great flanking opportunities in mid-late game scenarios.

Province is another map. Its two corridors, but these have actual crossfire lanes and multiple ways into the corridor (one at the very end and one about mid way up). Most people seem to ignore the 2nd entry point and blindly push down so far that they get crossfired (and then complain that they get crossfired).

Prok is probably the most perfect example of corridors in this game. There are 3 of them on that map: 1-2, Mid and Hill. They dont look like corridors, but they are, often fights develop in them separate from the others, but each can influence (to varying degrees) the others.

Most maps have enough ways for all tanks to be useful without having to facecheck tanks that you cant reliably penetrate, but most people just want to ignore these and drive face first at their enemy. Like there are legitmate, cant do anythign but facecheck, corridors on some maps (Lakeville Valley, Overlord Beach, Abbey River Road) but most every other "corridor" has options for all tanks.

The problem I see with a map that has no corridors is that it lacks direction. It lacks the flow that a game like this needs, where tanks are naturally funneled toward certain areas. Thats ok in a sandbox game, where freedom is good, but in arena style games, like WoT maps need to have direction and flow to provide good matches. I see this being a problem with Lilliehammer, in that it wont be very fun to be a heavy on this map, and it wont be fun to be a TD on this map. If youre a medium or light you'll probably be ok, but even then mediums benefit a lot from having good places of hard cover that they can use to conserve thier HP in a brawl.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users