Medium Tanks - Concealment vs Repairs T5+?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Choker_of_Chickens #1 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 00:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3685 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

For my specific context, Im grinding the Russian medium line and currently on the T-44.  My question is which crew skill is "more important" to train once Im beginning to get my 3rd skill?

T-34-85 crew

Commander: Sixth Sense, BIA, Concealment or Repairs 

Gunner: Snap Shot, BIA, Concealment or Repairs

Driver: ORD, BIA, Concealment or Repairs

Radio Op: Sit. Awareness, BIA, Concealment or Repairs

Loader: Safe Stowage, BIA, Concealment or Repairs

I guess Im trying to understand the value of Concealment/Camo for Medium tanks unless its specifically designed for camo like the B-C vs getting Repairs which helps when your Repair kit has all ready been used?

Im still learning the ins-and-outs of the small things so go easy on me please!  TIA  Plus, if you have better recommendations on my skills please let me know!  I have 3 MT crews with 3 skill crews.  Its just the other 2 crews are the 4 person crews so the setup is a little different.  (As you probably all ready know.)

Christojojo #2 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 00:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 33049 battles
  • [CHEAP] CHEAP
View Range is more important to detect tds

Choker_of_Chickens #3 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 00:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3685 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

View PostChristojojo, on Aug 12 2018 - 00:30, said:

View Range is more important to detect tds

So you are implying that Recon for commander is best instead of repairs or concealment?

rockbutcher #4 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 00:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18692 battles
  • [69CBR] 69CBR

Yep, I'd go recon on the commander and concealment on the others, given the skill set he has provided.  Repairs can come next for the others, and camo for the commander.

Edited by rockbutcher, Aug 12 2018 - 00:36.

RC_1140 #5 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 00:38

Major

• Players
  • 58925 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-
It depends. Some mediums benefit a lot from camo and others mostly don't. Another thing to consider, do you know enough about the camo/view range mechanics to use the camo skill well?  If not maybe repairs is better, you will always benefit from faster track repair. 

SenHai #6 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 00:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 15785 battles
Russian meds typically have better concealment, so camo wouldn't hurt.

Gang_Starr #7 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 01:16

Major

• Players
  • 15398 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
Really depends on the tank. I usually go repairs first, then camo.

Anderwar #8 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 01:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44328 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE
Repairs dosent matter that much anymore cause you can reuse the repair kits (before you save it for ammo rack or something like that), so i would say camo.

Ken_McGuire #9 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 02:31

Captain

• Players
  • 28760 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

The whole concept of waiting for 3rd skill to have any of either is more than a bit shocking to me.

Let's start with the Radio Operator. To the best of my knowledge, the only Soviet MT with a separate Radio Operator above tier 6 is the A-44. Assuming you have a mid-tier premium for crew training, I would train them in camo to help their performance there.

Speaking of Radio Operator skills, who gets Radio Operator skills is not consistent going up the tree. In the T-44 and T-54 (last I saw), the Loader gets RO skills. But the 140 and 62a let the Commander and not the Loader get RO skills. I don't know what it is for the 430 and 430U. This means you should be careful about giving a crew member Situational Awareness until you know where the crew member will end up. Either that, or expect to pay for a skill reset on the way.

Getting to your main question. The old conventional wisdom was to do concealment at lower tiers first and Repairs at higher tiers first for MT's. The logic being that at lower tiers, the view ranges are lower, but hit points are lower too. This means that some concealment has a better chance of keeping you from being fired upon at lower tiers, but some repair will not let you escape before your hit point pool goes away, but it is the reverse at higher tiers.

As mentioned above, reusable repair kits have changed this situation a bit. I suppose that if you use Large kits, you will not need to have any repair skill. With small kits, having repair lets you fix some repairs naturally while the kit is used for most important modules - eg. if you are tracked with a dead engine, you can repair the engine and let your tracks come up naturally.

I have yet to hear any unica suggest changing the traditional advice yet - but have not really searched any advice for the new situation either.

LimaIndiaOscar #10 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 03:23

Captain

• Players
  • 39283 battles
  • [F-LAT] F-LAT

View PostSenHai, on Aug 11 2018 - 20:52, said:

Russian meds typically have better concealment, so camo wouldn't hurt.

Thats my choice too. I prefer camo as being undetected is very important early on and in late game. 

PunCzarBlintz #11 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 04:05

Major

• Players
  • 75192 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
I prefer cammo to repairs for #3.... a tank that is not spotted does not have to make repairs.

Choker_of_Chickens #12 Posted Aug 12 2018 - 05:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3685 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

View PostKen_McGuire, on Aug 12 2018 - 02:31, said:

The whole concept of waiting for 3rd skill to have any of either is more than a bit shocking to me.

Let's start with the Radio Operator. To the best of my knowledge, the only Soviet MT with a separate Radio Operator above tier 6 is the A-44. Assuming you have a mid-tier premium for crew training, I would train them in camo to help their performance there.

Speaking of Radio Operator skills, who gets Radio Operator skills is not consistent going up the tree. In the T-44 and T-54 (last I saw), the Loader gets RO skills. But the 140 and 62a let the Commander and not the Loader get RO skills. I don't know what it is for the 430 and 430U. This means you should be careful about giving a crew member Situational Awareness until you know where the crew member will end up. Either that, or expect to pay for a skill reset on the way.

Getting to your main question. The old conventional wisdom was to do concealment at lower tiers first and Repairs at higher tiers first for MT's. The logic being that at lower tiers, the view ranges are lower, but hit points are lower too. This means that some concealment has a better chance of keeping you from being fired upon at lower tiers, but some repair will not let you escape before your hit point pool goes away, but it is the reverse at higher tiers.

As mentioned above, reusable repair kits have changed this situation a bit. I suppose that if you use Large kits, you will not need to have any repair skill. With small kits, having repair lets you fix some repairs naturally while the kit is used for most important modules - eg. if you are tracked with a dead engine, you can repair the engine and let your tracks come up naturally.

I have yet to hear any unica suggest changing the traditional advice yet - but have not really searched any advice for the new situation either.

Thank  you.  I didnt foresee of a lot points you brought up which made me realize I had to look up what skills are in what crew and focus on that.  Now, that makes me think that my T-34-85 crew might become a bit obsolete at this point unless I move him to another line?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users