matchmaker like got it right

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

sleeper_agent #21 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 13:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 22797 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Aug 16 2018 - 12:21, said:

I want to win my battles, not just earn XP. There's nothing more frustrating than having no chance to win just because the 3 Tier 10's on my team feel like robots, while the enemy's Tier 10's don't make a mistake. What's my Tier 8 going to do against that? Farm some damage against them? Sure, I"ll get XP, hurray. But I'll still lose the battle, won't get nearly as many credits as I'd want, and still walk away frustrated.

And don't get me wrong - Sure, it can be a lot of fun to carry a match when bottom Tier. My most profitable battle (280k profit, 320k revenue), came from being bottom Tier in my AMX CDA 105, getting nearly 5.5k damage fighting against Tier 9's and 10's. But what about all the other battles I had that night? Sure, I had one fun bottom Tier battle, but everything else was just frustrating, or at the very least not nearly as fun as it could have been.

true. XP is nice but I want the win too

_Kradok_ #22 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 13:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 29511 battles
  • [_OOF_] _OOF_
I'm 

View PostZaikadi, on Aug 16 2018 - 22:39, said:

If 9 Tier VIIIs can't take 6 IXs and Xs, you guys need to improve and stop whining.\

My God, 60% of the tanks you will encounter in a 3/3/9 battle will be the same as your tier. Are you only satisfied if you can stomp Tier VIs?

You have 86 battles at tier X...  What do you truly understand about top tier tanks?  Walk me through this...

vinnybagadonuts #23 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 17:23

Captain

• Players
  • 29047 battles

I know i cant wait to hear an explanation from a triple digit wn8 player on how the 3/3/9 is fair & balanced, and its the bottom tier players that simply dont know what they are doing that makes it less than fun.

ill go make some popcorn while I wait.

_Bagheera_ #24 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 17:30

Major

• Players
  • 34901 battles
  • [ICON-] ICON-

I hate it. Its killing the wr of teir 8 tanks i'm actually pretty good in and enjoy driving because I CANT CARRY. *looking at you T44-100*

Look at the WR of my T44 and compare it to my T44-100. The T44 was mostly done pre buff and pre MM changes. The only driving i did post buff was for the OBJ 430 grind. 

And to be frank...in an STA? You got lucky...all it would have tanke was an FV looking in your direction and you would have been kicked back to garage instantly. Which is a common occurance. 

PrinzEugen85 #25 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 17:37

Major

• Players
  • 33144 battles
  • [CANIS] CANIS
I don't think the OP is thinking about the poor soul who's trying to drive something like a KV4 into a tier 10, 3 arty, meat grinder.

_Bagheera_ #26 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 17:37

Major

• Players
  • 34901 battles
  • [ICON-] ICON-

View PostZaikadi, on Aug 16 2018 - 21:39, said:

If 9 Tier VIIIs can't take 6 IXs and Xs, you guys need to improve and stop whining.\

My God, 60% of the tanks you will encounter in a 3/3/9 battle will be the same as your tier. Are you only satisfied if you can stomp Tier VIs?

People like you run up on people like me in a pimped out tier 9 and get their face kicked in.

By all means, keep feeding my well armored tier 9 tanks. I love getting easymode 5k+ damage games in a tortoise....

nrnstraswa #27 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 17:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15780 battles
  • [AJ] AJ
Nope, 3/5/7 is bad and needs rework. 

CapPhrases #28 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 17:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 7276 battles
  • [TXV] TXV

I feel dirty when top tier cause what are those bottom tier guys gonna do?

"just go to a different flank"

unless I'm slow in which case oops I lose

"it's only 3 tanks"

3 tanks 3 corridors and they're massively stronger than me, I will meet that top tier tank sooner or later. oops I lose

"you don't have to go to that flank go to the medium flank"

yeah, I have. guess what? top tier heavy showed up and stomped. oops I lose

"it's better for xp and credits farm up you noob"

it's barely better on xp and credits and I have to load prem too often and then lose way too many credits

"I enjoy the challenge because otherwise the game would be boring"

congrats you're one of the top 10% of players in this game. the majority of the base can't deal with the power balance. if same tier games are too "easy" for you then surely you win every single one right? right? you want a real challenge then get yourself into a top clan and do team battles, ranked battles, clan wars, and tournaments. in any other game this would be enough for the hardcore player base to be satisfied. why are you demanding the casual player base must play at your challenge level?

Nicoli_Voldkif #29 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 19:27

Private

• Players
  • 10541 battles

There are some tanks that running -2 tiers are great, but those are mostly going to be tanks that are high alpha, speedy tanks or high pen, good concealment TDs. If your in any sort of tank that requires you to rely on your armor, or your relying on a bunch of low damage hits that keeps you visible you screwed. WoWs the difference between tiers isn't nearly as painful in tanks especially if your not in a tank that favors the map heavily.

Kelly_Sereda #30 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 21:55

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14472 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Aug 16 2018 - 18:21, said:

I want to win my battles, not just earn XP. There's nothing more frustrating than having no chance to win just because the 3 Tier 10's on my team feel like robots, while the enemy's Tier 10's don't make a mistake. What's my Tier 8 going to do against that? Farm some damage against them? Sure, I"ll get XP, hurray. But I'll still lose the battle, won't get nearly as many credits as I'd want, and still walk away frustrated.

And don't get me wrong - Sure, it can be a lot of fun to carry a match when bottom Tier. My most profitable battle (280k profit, 320k revenue), came from being bottom Tier in my AMX CDA 105, getting nearly 5.5k damage fighting against Tier 9's and 10's. But what about all the other battles I had that night? Sure, I had one fun bottom Tier battle, but everything else was just frustrating, or at the very least not nearly as fun as it could have been.

While it's true that in a system of +/- 2 tiers, you are sometimes granted less capacity to control the outcome, you win 60% of your games regardless of that.  It seems to me, you are able to exert your will then more often than not.  Had you a high player rating, but a low WR, this argument would be the case for a revision of the MM, but I don't see it given your current WR.  My 2 cents.

Kelly_Sereda #31 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 22:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14472 battles

After being crushed in a my first few high tier tanks as a new player, all of the tier 8s I play now have a positive WR (except Chrysler... a mystery).  I much prefer 3/5/7, 5/10 over the old system or sometimes being one of a few at bottom tier and being cannon fodder.  That said, with the higher number of tanks being low tier in the match, your chances of being one of them is also higher - a necessary evil.

What about if players could pick the range of tiers they'd like to see?  One, two, three?  I realize this could exacerbate wait times, but that would be up to the player if they wanted to wait for it or get in right away on a more popular spread.  I'm with the OP, I like the variety and have no trouble playing useful support from bottom tier with 8s.

golruul #32 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 22:30

Captain

• Players
  • 21581 battles

View PostKelly_Sereda, on Aug 17 2018 - 14:55, said:

While it's true that in a system of +/- 2 tiers, you are sometimes granted less capacity to control the outcome, you win 60% of your games regardless of that.  It seems to me, you are able to exert your will then more often than not.  Had you a high player rating, but a low WR, this argument would be the case for a revision of the MM, but I don't see it given your current WR.  My 2 cents.

Not speaking for Scorp, but to me it's not a question of "Can you do well when you're bottom tier vast majority of the time?", because good players like Scorp can indeed still do well.  It doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Rather it's a question of "Is it an enjoyable game experience being bottom tier vast majority of the time?".  This question is quite different than the previous one.  I believe a good majority of people (both good and bad players alike) would answer somewhere along the lines of "No, it's not enjoyable being bottom tier vast majority of the time". 

If majority of both good and bad players are agreeing something is wrong with the game, there's probably something wrong with the game.

Kelly_Sereda #33 Posted Aug 17 2018 - 23:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14472 battles

View Postgolruul, on Aug 17 2018 - 22:30, said:

Not speaking for Scorp, but to me it's not a question of "Can you do well when you're bottom tier vast majority of the time?", because good players like Scorp can indeed still do well.  It doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Rather it's a question of "Is it an enjoyable game experience being bottom tier vast majority of the time?".  This question is quite different than the previous one.  I believe a good majority of people (both good and bad players alike) would answer somewhere along the lines of "No, it's not enjoyable being bottom tier vast majority of the time".

If majority of both good and bad players are agreeing something is wrong with the game, there's probably something wrong with the game.

Fair point.  Playing mostly bottom tier is the fate of a mostly bottom tier 3/5/7 system.  I do think more options would be of benefit for the player experience as well, FWIW, I just don't mind the current state.

I think choosing dominant tier spread would be nice (ie, choose mostly 0 tier, 1 tier or 2 tier - and why not even 3).

Zaikadi #34 Posted Aug 18 2018 - 01:25

Captain

• Players
  • 25442 battles
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY

View Post_Kradok_, on Aug 17 2018 - 04:31, said:

I'm 

You have 86 battles at tier X...  What do you truly understand about top tier tanks?  Walk me through this...

No, I have 86 battles in Tier X tanks.

I've had quite a few Tier X battles in Tier VIII, IX, and X tanks. I have little trouble with my Tier VIII tanks in a Tier X battle. Some of my best results have been using my Tier VIIIs. And, as I've said in other threads, I seem to get the same mixture of low/mid/high tier placement as any other +/-2 tier. So, I can't understand all the whining. It's the same situation at all +/-2 tiers for me.

The reason I have only 86 battles in Tier X tanks is I find Tier X battles boring. It's repetitive, predictable, has less dynamic play, and the tanks are better but less interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users