Jump to content


Map Mondays: Malinovka

map guide malinovka guide malinovka map monday

  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 06:37

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 14002 battles
  • 684
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    12-28-2012

Good evening, Tankers!

Welcome to another edition of Map Mondays!
Map Mondays #10: El Halluf

 

Fire up the video, take a scenic Flyby of the Malinovka hills, and listen to our take on the classic Russian "Song of the Boatmen" while studying up on the guide below.

 

What I like about Malinovka is that it's more or less symmetrical on both sides. Most of the action occurs around the hill, but it's necessary to keep some light defenses around spawn to guard the field from an aggressive push. Two common pitfalls on this map: Committing too many forces to guarding spawn, or conversely, not keeping enough map coverage to guard all the flanks.

 

The Middle Shelf

Expand

 

The Middle Field

Expand

 

Spawn

Expand

 

The Hill

Expand

 

From the Community:

Expand



Hopefully this guide is helpful, let me know if you've got any questions, and feel free to share any tips.

Have a good night :)


Edited by DomoSapien, Aug 21 2018 - 16:48.


CynicalDutchie #2 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 06:43

    Major

  • Players
  • 40958 battles
  • 3,931
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC
  • Member since:
    05-18-2011

Is WG ever going to rework this awful map into something half decent?

 

It's one of the oldest maps in the game and it wasn't good then and it certainly isn't good now.



Zanarkand_C #3 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 06:51

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 29449 battles
  • 500
  • [AWOO] AWOO
  • Member since:
    12-06-2014
This map is fine but they need to un-HD Fisherman's Bay cause that map suuuuuucks. Was better before it was reworked.

xtc4 #4 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 09:56

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 25593 battles
  • 736
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
  • Member since:
    01-31-2013

Very nice guide to scouting positions. Beginners should hit "expand" and look at it. The guide doesn't mention the famous "magic bush" at H2. On occasion, I will still rush out there from the north in a light tank, and it can still produce loads of spotting damage. Once the camping reds are thinned out and their heads are down, you can consider whether it is a good idea to rush forward to the buildings and press them or retreat and do something else.

 

I'll also sometimes do an initial active scouting run into the field from either side. You speed out just far enough to spot something (H5ish from south; F3ish from north), do a U-turn, retreat, and do something else (usually proceed to middle shelf or hill). The active field run is reasonably safe if you do it right away, and it often results in a few free shots for the team.

 

Hill is definitely key. But I will occasionally do the southwest push in a heavy, especially from the north. The matches that I do the push are generally ones where some early scouting and/or a few deductions give me an immediate idea where the reds are going. The teams' initial movements make me calculate that I will be too late to the hill, that the reds are thinnish around cap, and that I will have fire support behind me. If I can't make these calculations very quickly, I will generally just travel to hill.


Edited by xtc4, Aug 21 2018 - 09:58.


GeorgePreddy #5 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 12:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 14345 battles
  • 10,894
  • Member since:
    04-11-2013

Malinovka... one of the best maps in the game !

 

Thanks for the guide, it pretty much covered everything notable (except for H2 passive scouting for lower tiers).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



YANKEE137 #6 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 14:28

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 11619 battles
  • 4,350
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
  • Member since:
    08-17-2015
I like open maps like Malinovka.  The only problem with it I see is that after so many years in rotation you can just blind fire the usual bushes and get hits.  I think they should freshen this map with some non radical shuffling.

Nunya_000 #7 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 15:19

    Major

  • Players
  • 21080 battles
  • 13,455
  • [PACNW] PACNW
  • Member since:
    09-20-2013

Malinovka.....the best spotting map for LTs in the game.

 

However, I was extremely disappointed this weekend.  I'm grinding 7 tanks, one of them being the MT-25.....and I need LT15 to complete with honors.

 

Played the other 6 tanks until I completed my x2 on them, and no Malinovka map.  Got to the MT-25 and thought: "Hey, Mailinovka should come up soon.  that will be great for LT15".  Played 10 battles in my MT-25 and never once saw Malinovka.



DomoSapien #8 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 16:52

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 14002 battles
  • 684
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    12-28-2012

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Aug 21 2018 - 05:10, said:

Malinovka... one of the best maps in the game !

 

Thanks for the guide, it pretty much covered everything notable (except for H2 passive scouting for lower tiers).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm definitely a fan of Malinovka, especially in my Light Tanks. (That's probably why the guide was so scouting-centric) I think the most spotting damage I ever did was around 9,000 and it was on Malinovka, by hitting the bush at D7 in my EVEN 90.

View PostYANKEE137, on Aug 21 2018 - 07:28, said:

I like open maps like Malinovka.  The only problem with it I see is that after so many years in rotation you can just blind fire the usual bushes and get hits.  I think they should freshen this map with some non radical shuffling.

I think this might be part of the reason why I tend to avoid camping at base. There are really only so many places you can hide behind the small amount of hard cover available in spawn.

View PostNunya_000, on Aug 21 2018 - 08:19, said:

Malinovka.....the best spotting map for LTs in the game.

 

However, I was extremely disappointed this weekend.  I'm grinding 7 tanks, one of them being the MT-25.....and I need LT15 to complete with honors.

 

Played the other 6 tanks until I completed my x2 on them, and no Malinovka map.  Got to the MT-25 and thought: "Hey, Mailinovka should come up soon.  that will be great for LT15".  Played 10 battles in my MT-25 and never once saw Malinovka.

Ooof, that's rough :( Sometimes the Map Rotation just doesn't show us any love. Personally, I'm not the most amazing player so I tend to be disappointed if I'm trying to actively complete missions for my personal campaigns. I just play as normal and am pleasantly surprised when I get a notification after battle telling me that I completed a mission :)

Hopefully pretty soon I'll finally have my StuG IV (after 6 long years) because I recently got my Conqueror Gun Carriage and I'm finally completing SPG missions. 

View Postxtc4, on Aug 21 2018 - 02:56, said:

Very nice guide to scouting positions. Beginners should hit "expand" and look at it. The guide doesn't mention the famous "magic bush" at H2. On occasion, I will still rush out there from the north in a light tank, and it can still produce loads of spotting damage. Once the camping reds are thinned out and their heads are down, you can consider whether it is a good idea to rush forward to the buildings and press them or retreat and do something else.

 

I'll also sometimes do an initial active scouting run into the field from either side. You speed out just far enough to spot something (H5ish from south; F3ish from north), do a U-turn, retreat, and do something else (usually proceed to middle shelf or hill). The active field run is reasonably safe if you do it right away, and it often results in a few free shots for the team.

 

Hill is definitely key. But I will occasionally do the southwest push in a heavy, especially from the north. The matches that I do the push are generally ones where some early scouting and/or a few deductions give me an immediate idea where the reds are going. The teams' initial movements make me calculate that I will be too late to the hill, that the reds are thinnish around cap, and that I will have fire support behind me. If I can't make these calculations very quickly, I will generally just travel to hill.

 

Ah, I've actually never tried passive scouting in that magic bush. I'll give it a whirl next time :) This is really great stuff, adding to the guide!



moogleslam #9 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 19:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 40955 battles
  • 4,299
  • Member since:
    12-20-2013
Malinovka is definitely one of my favorite maps, but the recent changes have diminished the role of a Light Tank on it a little.  Sadly, this is a theme with a lot of map changes of late.  Why has there been a move to make maps that favor camping and TD's of late? 

TRU_voodoo #10 Posted Aug 21 2018 - 22:25

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 29486 battles
  • 135
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
  • Member since:
    05-01-2015
Wow, this looks really good. I like the graphics you've added to show perspective of threats/spotting areas.

V_A_C_A #11 Posted Aug 22 2018 - 20:03

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 23699 battles
  • 1,930
  • Member since:
    06-02-2015
Yeah!!! Map Mondays! And from Malinovka!!!
(I just LOVE this map! It was "my first map" here on WoT, and the reason the game "got me". A free game, with THAT visual?)
Thanks again, Domo!!! :medal::honoring:




3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users