Wot preferences XML

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

GN_78 #1 Posted Aug 25 2018 - 16:45

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Hi guys I have been trying to find the preferences xml file in wot so I can change some of the game settings. However, I can’t find it. I heard that I have to go to application support on my MAC to access world of tanks to find it, but I can’t find a world of tanks folder in the application support. The preferences xml is not in the wot file in my documents. Any idea how to find it? Thanks for any help!

The_Illusive_Man #2 Posted Aug 25 2018 - 16:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 12747 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
Is there a Wargaming folder? Because on Windows, that is the folder its in... (In appdata, or application support)

SKurj #3 Posted Aug 25 2018 - 17:57

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13512 battles

this is where preferences is on my win10 machine:  not sure if its any help at all...

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks

Edited by SKurj, Aug 25 2018 - 17:58.

GN_78 #4 Posted Aug 26 2018 - 05:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Hmmmm I’ll try that but any MAC users know where it is?

dstud208 #5 Posted Aug 26 2018 - 16:19

Captain

• Players
  • 17803 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO
It's here:

~/Library/Application Support/World of Tanks/Bottles/worldoftanks/drive_c/users/crossover/Application Data/Wargaming.Net/WorldOfTanks/preferences.xml

Get to the library folder by clicking on your desktop to make sure finder is active, then click "Go" in the menus bar (top of screen), hold the option key, and click "Library" (shows up when you hold the option key)

dstud208 #6 Posted Aug 26 2018 - 16:22

Captain

• Players
  • 17803 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO
You could also choose "Go to" and then copy and paste that string in and it'll take you right there

black_colt #7 Posted Aug 26 2018 - 18:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 3837 battles

View Postdstud208, on Aug 26 2018 - 07:19, said:

It's here:

~/Library/Application Support/World of Tanks/Bottles/worldoftanks/drive_c/users/crossover/Application Data/Wargaming.Net/WorldOfTanks/preferences.xml

Get to the library folder by clicking on your desktop to make sure finder is active, then click "Go" in the menus bar (top of screen), hold the option key, and click "Library" (shows up when you hold the option key)

View Postdstud208, on Aug 26 2018 - 07:22, said:

You could also choose "Go to" and then copy and paste that string in and it'll take you right there

GN_78,

Make sure you duplicate the original file PRIOR to replacing/modifying.

GN_78 #8 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 15:06

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

ok thanks! I have managed to get access to the xml file.

black_colt #9 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 16:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 3837 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Aug 25 2018 - 07:48, said:

Is there a Wargaming folder? Because on Windows, that is the folder its in... (In appdata, or application support)

View PostSKurj, on Aug 25 2018 - 08:57, said:

this is where preferences is on my win10 machine:  not sure if its any help at all...

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks

Thanks for the posts however the game runs quite a bit differently on macOS as it uses the WoT Mac Wrapper.

Some Background

Wargaming chose to use DirectX for World of Tanks.  These graphics APIs are not well documented and they are not available for any OS except MS Windows.  This is a conscious decision by Microsoft and does not allow macOS and Linux users to run the game natively [native game/client].

If Wargaming had chosen OpenGL then I suspect [and this is just my opinion - others more experienced please weigh in and correct if I am wrong] then they would have had an easier path to DirectX, Vulcan, and Metal which would give better/optimal performance on multiple OS[es] and possibly allow for a native client/game on each of those OS[es].

A native client/game would widen the appeal to a greater audience since users would not need to rely on third-party apps.  The native client/game could also be optimized for the native graphics APIs for the OS - e.g. Metal - to further enhance the user experience.  

Since Wargaming Chose DirectX macOS and Linux Users Have to Run Wine So CodeWeaver Produced the WoT Mac Wrapper for Wargaming

Wine [Wine Is Not an Emulator] is app capable of running MS Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant OS[es] - e.g. Linux and macOS by translating the MS Windows API calls to POSIX calls eliminating the performance and memory penalties of emulation and virtual machines which require MS Windows to run.

Linux users can build 64-bit versions of Wine and run the HD client.  IIRC some macOS users have built 64-bit versions of Wine and have enabled the HD client as well - apparently it is a little more difficult due to the expected state of a particular memory address but IIRC there is a work-around for that.

CodeWeavers [who produce the app CrossOver - a proprietary version of Wine for both macOS and Linux] produced the WoT Mac Wrapper for Wargaming.  Alexandre Jilliard is their CTO. Alexandre was the project leader for Wine.

Wine is an app that uses the native file system and as such the game files are located in different directories - e.g. ~/Library/Application Support/World of Tanks/Bottles/worldoftanks/drive_c/Games/World_of_Tanks  

The Current WoT Mac Wrapper

Currently the latest version of the WoT Mac Wrapper is 32-bit - which is why you cannot run the HD client even though macOS is 64-bit. Wargaming has hobbled macOS users by only allowing a 32-bit WoT Mac Wrapper. Also Wargaming chose to base the game on DirectX a technology only available natively for MS Windows.  

Both of these decisions by Wargaming give a less than optimal experience for macOS users.

The Future 

IIRC CodeWeavers has submitted a 64-bit version to Wargaming for review and release.  The 64-bit version corrects a memory leak [that is why some WoT Mac Wrapper users have been experiencing issues] and should allow the use of the HD client on macOS [a 64-bit OS].

So Wargaming if you are reading this post please talk to whomever needs to review and either reject or approve the 64-bit version of the WoT Mac Wrapper.

Edited by black_colt, Aug 27 2018 - 16:25.

GN_78 #10 Posted Aug 28 2018 - 15:29

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Hi guys how I found the xml file was I opened the WoT launcher, then I clicked "run command", and then I clicked "browse". My finder opened up to the "worldoftanks" folder, and then I continued on with "driveusers/crossover/Application Data/Wargaming.Net/WorldOfTanks/preferences.xml". However, before accessing the preferences xml folder, I had to change the default application it uses to open from safari to text edit. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users