Do barrel marks equal a good player?

MOE win rate

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Barrel Marks (163 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

Whats your highest barrel mark?

1. 1 (26 votes [15.76%])

Percentage of vote: 15.76%

2. 2 (67 votes [40.61%])

Percentage of vote: 40.61%

3. 3 (72 votes [43.64%])

Percentage of vote: 43.64%

Vote Hide poll

Norse_Knight #1 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 12:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20673 battles
  • [HROW] HROW
After 3 marking my AMX 12T (just grinding the arty, possible wheeled light tank start point so I was building xp) I was talking to my friend who I was amazed to find out hasn't been able to two mark any and he's a fairly good player with an overall win rate of 52.5 so he doesn't let the team down. He does his HP in damage, he falls back when he should and never really does anything stupid. How accurate do all of you believe barrel marking is as a measure of skill? I've seen some very solid teammates who cant seem to achieve the sought after 2 and 3 marks yet still can carry a team to victory. It seems to me it takes a certain play style to get them and that doesn't always equate to whats best for the team. I'm also adding a poll just because I'm curious how many players are able to reach the barrel mark goals!

Fractured_Raptor #2 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24131 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER
Not really. Sometimes you catch the server after it's completely reset the expected numbers and get one with ease. You can have friends get them for you too, which I'm sure people have done. Average damage is a better measure. 

Zanarkand_C #3 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 35009 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
Depends on the tier I'd say with higher tiers being more difficult, I've managed to 3 mark a few tanks all tier 8 and below. I find tier X tanks harder to 3 mark, I've only managed to 2 mark tier X tanks.

The_Illusive_Man #4 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 13312 battles
In general? No. In that tank? Yes. But only if they have 2 or more marks. The first mark is just something you can get grinding that tank.

Norse_Knight #5 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20673 battles
  • [HROW] HROW

View PostFractured_Raptor, on Aug 27 2018 - 13:00, said:

Not really. Sometimes you catch the server after it's completely reset the expected numbers and get one with ease. You can have friends get them for you too, which I'm sure people have done. Average damage is a better measure.

I also realize it is tank dependent. I had a super easy time with the AMX 12T but have yet to get three on the Type 64 :(

Messerschmitt_Masser #6 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:04

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10154 battles
  • [BTU-A] BTU-A
not completely, but the marks says something about the player, imo. I mean, when you see a player with >5K in a tank, and he didn't even managed to get one mark yet, then you know that player is a noob.
Btw, the only tank I 3marked was the III/IV, that ugly piece of [edited] that was buffed, on which I perform well enough. Now, wanting to do the same with the e25 and maybw with the Chinese prem TD, and with the 3002 D someday, ahhh that little OP beast

_Gungrave_ #7 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:06

Major

• Players
  • 45172 battles
  • [-SRP-] -SRP-

View PostZanarkand_C, on Aug 27 2018 - 13:01, said:

Depends on the tier I'd say with higher tiers being more difficult, I've managed to 3 mark a few tanks all tier 8 and below. I find tier X tanks harder to 3 mark, I've only managed to 2 mark tier X tanks.

Tier 9 meds from what I've seen tend to be very hard because that tier is so popular these days. I can't even get an Ace in the Standard B even with a couple 7k damage games so don't even get me started on MoEs for that tank. :angry:

heavymetal1967 #8 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:09

Major

• Players
  • 71518 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Aug 27 2018 - 07:01, said:

In general? No. In that tank? Yes. But only if they have 2 or more marks. The first mark is just something you can get grinding that tank.

View Post_Gungrave_, on Aug 27 2018 - 07:06, said:

Tier 9 meds from what I've seen tend to be very hard because that tier is so popular these days. I can't even get an Ace in the Standard B even with a couple 7k damage games so don't even get me started on MoEs for that tank. :angry:

This and this imo.  Point being on Gungrave's post that certain tanks are hard to mark and Ace because you're essentially competing with other players and of course vice versa.

Edited by heavymetal1967, Aug 27 2018 - 13:10.

Bae_Suzy #9 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:10

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9504 battles
z

Edited by KeepYourselfSafe_xD, Dec 06 2018 - 10:50.

Scorpiany #10 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:13

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 36811 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

It really depends. In general, I expect some degree of competence from 2-marked tanks, and a high amount from 3-marked tanks - But that's with a large pinch of salt. It depends how they earned the marks, when they earned them, etc.

If someone earns their marks by sitting back and farming damage, or by sacrificing wins for their marks, then I wouldn't consider them to be good players, or good in that tank. However, if they earned them through consistent solid gameplay, than of course. Even that though, isn't a flawless metric.

iAmEbola #11 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 12477 battles

As far as I'm concerned, marks are only a representation of the ability to get damage vs the rest of the player base for that specific tank.  

Does it represent skill or a "good player"?  

I would say it does to a certain extent.  One of the main aspects of the game is to get damage to acquire kills.  The more kills one gets, generally the more times you will win.  This excludes damage farmers that have zero desire to win; only to boost WN8.  Rare, but it does happen.

If someone has a 2 MOE in a specific tank, I can be pretty comfortable with the idea that there is a good change that player will pull decent damage for that game (of course not everyone has stellar games every time).  1 MOE, to me just means that they've played the tank a lot.  It isn't too hard to get one.

Personally, I've only acquired a 3 MOE mark in one tank.  I'm really close on a few others.  

I wouldn't consider someone "skilled" overall by MOEs alone.  

Mikosah #12 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:30

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

Some tanks are harder to use than others, many players will often simply not know what to do and fail horribly. Compared to them, so as long as you're even vaguely competent its just a matter of time before getting the first mark or even the second. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're good, rather than your competition (for that particular tank) is bad. But even in that case, eventually you will begin to compete for the third mark against the players who know what they're doing so even against poor competition, being in the top 5% does mean something. Still, its a long-term process so even a good player needs to put in 100 or so battles in the same tank to get an accurate reflection of his standings in the MoE system.

As for whether or not MoE is a good way of measuring the quality of a player, considering that its taking both damage and assists into account, I'd say that it can give a much better snapshot of a player's performance in a relatively short span of time compared to WR for instance, that needs thousands of battles to get a proper sample size. And yes, there are ways to abuse the system and farm damage at the expense of the team. But to that I issue two caveats- one is that in the vast majority of situations, pure damage often is the single best contribution a player can make to his team. And the second is that as much as we try to pretend that WoT is a team game, it really isn't. 1vs29 is real.

Dain_Ironfoot_ #13 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 23967 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
To a certain degree, yes... one barrel mark usually just means they've played the tank enough to have some good games occasionally.  To me two marks would mean they are a decent player, at least in that particular tank... most of the time.  Three even more so.

PuddleSplasher #14 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:42

Major

• Players
  • 38753 battles

View PostNorse_Knight, on Aug 27 2018 - 11:58, said:

he's a fairly good player with an overall win rate of 52.5 so he doesn't let the team down. He does his HP in damage, he falls back when he should and never really does anything stupid. 

How accurate do all of you believe barrel marking is as a measure of skill?

I've seen some very solid teammates who cant seem to achieve the sought after 2 and 3 marks yet still can carry a team to victory.

It seems to me it takes a certain play style to get them and that doesn't always equate to whats best for the team. I'm also adding a poll just because I'm curious how many players are able to reach the barrel mark goals!

Apologies for breaking down your post but it's only for ease of replying.

You say that your mate falls back when he should and never does anything stupid. yet often by attacking instead of falling back is usually the best way to achieve the higher points and a quicker way to achieving your stripes. Doing nothing stupid in this game is often a reason that players again fail to make the grade as stupidity often leads to victory when you least expect the team to support you.

The stripes are a measure IMHO of someone that simply plays WOT and it is achievable by anyone. It really is that simple.

Carrying a team is a misconception otherwise your mate would be doing it in every game which would then become unbalanced. As it is we always remember the good days when playing WOT and forget the bad days when we didn't carry the team and they did it for you.

Whats best for the team is often to be found in a Clan war but in a public game, playing solo and with 14 unknown players is an impossible task to determine what is best as you cannot be accountable for what those players do. In other words you need to play for yourself and hope that it is enough to maintain the support that your whole team needs but if that was the case we would all be camping and every game would be a draw.

Do as I do and play for fun, forget the stats and "barrel stripes". Help the team as and when you can and always play with some amount of stupidity as you can never expect the others to always cover your back or even your attack. Never forget to have fun and the stripes will soon follow.

Edited by PuddleSplasher, Aug 27 2018 - 13:43.

GeorgePreddy #15 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 13:44

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

There is really not any one single metric that can be relied upon to tell you if someone is a "very good" or better player.

One must check an amalgamation of stat metrics to get a reliable picture of a player's "goodness".

Benjeeh_CA #16 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 14:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30689 battles
  • [DBLTP] DBLTP

I see 2 and 3 marks on a tank and think okay he is competent, you have to maintain a damage level to get there but one mark is nothing more than a participation award

3 marked, kv-1s firefly sp1c charioteer and jagdtiger

_Kradok_ #17 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 14:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 32061 battles
3-marked the Matilda, working on the Birch Gun and PzB2 next.  :izmena: 

NARWL_Legend_Soviet #18 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 14:24

Captain

• Players
  • 27029 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

Tier 9/10 3 marks are really the only ones that matter with regards to discerning player skill. Tier 8 and below marks should be easy for anyone who has teal or blue recents. 

moogleslam #19 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 14:35

Major

• Players
  • 45588 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View Post_Kradok_, on Aug 27 2018 - 09:17, said:

3-marked the Matilda, working on the Birch Gun and PzB2 next.  :izmena: 

Can you post a screenshot of your 3 marked Matilda.  I'm sure it's a beauty :)

MacDaddyMatty #20 Posted Aug 27 2018 - 14:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 31206 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Block Quote

Do barrel marks equal a good player?

Not in my case.

;)

Also tagged with MOE, win rate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users