FV4005

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

AbramsWannabe #1 Posted Sep 05 2018 - 22:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 27491 battles
  • [_DDM] _DDM

When I think about how long and hard I had to grind to get the FV4005, I get depressed. It is by far my biggest disappointment, as I am struggling to find the right approach to fighting in it.

The gun accuracy and shell velocity doesn't make it a great sniper, but the incredibly poor armor forces you to automatically think that way - practically any tank above tier 6 can pen it and 8 through 10 get excited to see one. I seem to do best when I mix with the heavies and add some firepower, but I have a bulls-eye from the enemy team on my back when doing so, and draw a lot of fire.

Some battles generate amazing DMG; heck, when shooting HESH a critical hit can be >400 DMG. However, sometimes I am fortunate to get off two or three shots before dying. Bottom line, crappy armor + 30 second reload time = early death. The turret is enormous and difficult to hide when reloading. and HESH costs over 8K per round!

I have combed YouTube for a more instructional video on how to be successful driving this tank, but no such luck. I would very much appreciate getting positive advice from fellow FV4005 owners  on how they approach fighting this model.

Edited by AbramsWannabe, Sep 05 2018 - 22:44.

_Remarka #2 Posted Sep 05 2018 - 23:28

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19889 battles
On city maps which allow you to hide behind buildings try to support heavy or medium tanks. Just monitor when all enemies in your area are reloading, then get out of hiding, aim, shoot, repeat.

FrozenKemp #3 Posted Sep 05 2018 - 23:37

Major

• Players
  • 53408 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

0.38 accuracy is pretty good for a derp gun, which is what the gun is when you aren't firing AP.  Aim for the centre of the target (plus leading) and fire.  

400 isn't really a good HESH roll.  Really good HESH blow up ammo racks. 

My favorite spot is sniping by pushing out from hard cover to fire, then hiding again. 

lordpelvis #4 Posted Sep 06 2018 - 01:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 42189 battles
  • [SMAX] SMAX
Shoot ap shells, and play it kind of like a kv2.

sleeper_agent #5 Posted Sep 06 2018 - 15:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 29883 battles

View PostEugen_, on Sep 05 2018 - 17:28, said:

On city maps which allow you to hide behind buildings try to support heavy or medium tanks. Just monitor when all enemies in your area are reloading, then get out of hiding, aim, shoot, repeat.

this is the soundest advice: its mainly a support peak-a-boo TD

ThePigSheFlies #6 Posted Sep 06 2018 - 15:56

Major

• Players
  • 75648 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostAbramsWannabe, on Sep 05 2018 - 16:43, said:

Some battles generate amazing DMG; heck, when shooting HESH a critical hit can be >400 DMG. However, sometimes I am fortunate to get off two or three shots before dying. Bottom line, crappy armor + 30 second reload time = early death. The turret is enormous and difficult to hide when reloading. and HESH costs over 8K per round!

the base reload is ~28.7ish.  you appear to have played a couple of hundred battles in the previous tanks without really excelling at them during your "long hard grind" - so I cannot help but wonder if your crew, and/or equipment choices are a small part of the problem.

vents, rammer, and a BIA crew get it down to under 25s reload, as well as improve other areas of the platform.

I've only played it on test, for one because I don't like TD game play very much, but didn't notice it really being any more difficult to play than say a Grille 15.  as for being expensive, most tier 10s are, and if the HESH wasn't 8k / round then we'd see even more of the cancerous high alpha in game than we already do.  IMHO it's meant to be played sparingly for LOLs or missions - not a tank to "live in" - unless you have a deep wallet....

Fractured_Raptor #7 Posted Sep 06 2018 - 15:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24608 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER
I do well in mine. At least I'd like to think so. There some tips and tricks to increase your odds. When you're sniping aim center mass to maximize hit potential. When you can be decently close, such as city maps, AP is a nasty surprise. Poke when they're on reload and do your best to go where artillery can't touch you, it has no armor so HE really screws it up. Depending on what you're facing you can be aggressive with it. It's a risk though. If they're smart enough to throw HE into your turret you might lose some modules and crews in the process. For quick damage without having to aim in at medium range or close up, if you have HESH loaded, do the center mass thing and duck back into cover. If the target is heavily armored aim for the ground beneath the lower plate or the belly. You'll do more damage. Oh! I forgot one important thing. The 4005 has a fat head. Because of that fat head you'll never out spot anything unless the bushes are big enough to completely hide it. View range equipment, in my opinion, is a waste on that tank. I run a rammer .. vents ... and a V-Stab. Prioritize targets by threat. If you have the choice between dealing a butt load of damage to something soft or shooting a Type/268 4 ... go for the latter. The 4005 excels at dealing with threats the team normally can't handle. Word of wisdom though. If a friendly is so much as sniffing at your bloom when you're aiming at a tank don't fire. If that shell decides to nose dive your team mate is going to get screwed by you.

Edited by Fractured_Raptor, Sep 06 2018 - 16:18.

Fractured_Raptor #8 Posted Sep 06 2018 - 16:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24608 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Sep 06 2018 - 09:56, said:

the base reload is ~28.7ish.  you appear to have played a couple of hundred battles in the previous tanks without really excelling at them during your "long hard grind" - so I cannot help but wonder if your crew, and/or equipment choices are a small part of the problem.

vents, rammer, and a BIA crew get it down to under 25s reload, as well as improve other areas of the platform.

I've only played it on test, for one because I don't like TD game play very much, but didn't notice it really being any more difficult to play than say a Grille 15.  as for being expensive, most tier 10s are, and if the HESH wasn't 8k / round then we'd see even more of the cancerous high alpha in game than we already do.  IMHO it's meant to be played sparingly for LOLs or missions - not a tank to "live in" - unless you have a deep wallet....

What he said. With my crew and equipment I got the reload down to 24.7 I think it is. Might be a smidge lower. 

Also tagged with FV4005

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users