What would you do with Arty?

Ewww Arty No one Reads Tags Anyways

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you do with Arty? (179 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

How would you change artillery?

1. Remove it. (63 votes [35.20%])

Percentage of vote: 35.20%

2. Roll back the stun mechanics. (17 votes [9.50%])

Percentage of vote: 9.50%

3. Rework it in some way( Please explain.) (30 votes [16.76%])

Percentage of vote: 16.76%

4. Not change it, it's fine as it is. (46 votes [25.70%])

Percentage of vote: 25.70%

5. I just roll with the punches. (16 votes [8.94%])

Percentage of vote: 8.94%

6. Check box to play with/without arty. (7 votes [3.91%])

Percentage of vote: 3.91%

Vote Hide poll

Genzing #121 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 00:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22024 battles

View PostBlazzy, on Sep 18 2018 - 12:08, said:

I'm still waiting for that "no arty" check box in the options haha

Done, added an option to the poll, if that's what you meant lol

Drone157 #122 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 00:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21356 battles
  • [GBOTS] GBOTS

I feel accuracy should be scaled with distance, in that you need to be MUCH closer than currently to hit anything.

Arty needs to be more dynamic, and scouts need a better chance of spotting them.

Forcing them to move closer to the fighting would solve most issues with them.

Genzing #123 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 00:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22024 battles

View PostDrone157, on Sep 18 2018 - 15:23, said:

I feel accuracy should be scaled with distance, in that you need to be MUCH closer than currently to hit anything.

Arty needs to be more dynamic, and scouts need a better chance of spotting them.

Forcing them to move closer to the fighting would solve most issues with them.

I'm all for moving arty closer to the fight! Though, if that were to happen, I'd assume they'd be compensated with more hp/mobility or something of the sort. 

Tiocfaidh_Arla #124 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 00:44

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2465 battles
  • [DIXIE] DIXIE

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Sep 18 2018 - 00:50, said:

The only way an arty toggle would be fair is if we got toggles for everything else. Yes or no toggle for heavy tanks, tank destroyers, lights, and mediums. Toggles for each map you do or do not want to see would be the logical next step. Eventually toggles for premium ammo, derp guns, platoons, clan members or XVM users. Maybe even a toggle for "I don't want to play with teammates less skilled than I am. It would be like the population divided itself up into a hundred different games. I don't support the toggle idea because I think it would be really bad for the game if we head down that slippery slope. 

Do you think it is fair that arty can shoot from the other side of the map on targets who have no ability to defend themselves? Do you think it is fair that arty feeds off the work of others, i.e. people who do all the dirty work of spotting for them? Do you think it is fair that arty team damages and team kills their own people just because they are near a target of opportunity? Do you think it is fair that arty can shoot just about anywhere on the map and do splash damage?

You want to talk about fair, arty is not even remotely fair in this game. 

digger327 #125 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 01:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30887 battles

Since Arty will not be removed fro game IMHO

1. Limit to 1 per game

2. Option to play with Arty in game or not (Like Assault mode)

ruar #126 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 03:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17282 battles

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Sep 13 2018 - 09:36, said:

Read what I wrote, if I WASN'T in an SPG of course I would want no SPGs, especially in something slow, just like I wouldn't want anything that I would have a problem with in any kind of tank. How many people would choose to have no Japanese heavies if they were playing a heavy? No invisible TD's in case thy get open maps? No light tanks if they were playing SPG's?

The whole reason irrationalists don't like SPG's is it doesn't let them play lazy. Bad players usually just make big mistakes that SPG's take advantage of then rage about it and good players can't exploit strong positions for extended periods of time to up their stats and rage about that. I'd love to have a really good hull down tank and no SPG's, I could just park behind something to protect my hull and farm damage without worrying about HE raining down on my head. I'm sure nobody would come here and cry about the cancer of tanks with strong turrets then.

Map design forces players to specific areas if they want to avoid being easy arty targets.  It's not lazy play, it's scripted play to ensure artillery can play a part in every map.  Games without arty play differently than games with arty simply because more of the terrain is opened up and tactics shift to maximize hull down and armor.

Having arty be the counter to strong positions is a poor choice of balance options.  Opening up the maps and allowing lights/mediums to flank is the obvious answer to entrenched positions.  However, going that route will make arty obsolete so we have the current map design because WG refuses to admit/realize how much of a mistake it was to put artillery in the game.

There is no argument you can make about lazy players not liking artillery because it doesn't allow for strong positions.  The truth is WG designs the maps to be favorable for artillery.  Players aren't lazy, they just understand what the game would be like without the broken artillery mechanic.  It's not about stat padding, it's about playing to the tanks strengths and weaknesses in order to have the best match possible.  Something that can't happen when artillery is on the field forcing people into bad positions because WG is Russian and Russians love their artillery.  It's a big part of their military culture.

WhineMaker #127 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 03:11

Major

• Players
  • 34736 battles

View Postdigger327, on Sep 18 2018 - 16:02, said:

Since Arty will not be removed fro game IMHO

1. Limit to 1 per game

2. Option to play with Arty in game or not (Like Assault mode)

#2 already exists...

Can you say "WoT Blitz"?

Arty free, all the time for those unable to handle the full pc version of WoT... :arta:

Omega_Weapon #128 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 04:40

Major

• Players
  • 48859 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostTiocfaidh_Arla, on Sep 18 2018 - 18:44, said:

Do you think it is fair that arty can shoot from the other side of the map on targets who have no ability to defend themselves?

The targets can defend themselves with evasive actions, seeking sheltered positions, or avoiding being spotted. They just can't actively retaliate in most cases. Same for both teams, so that's fair.

Do you think it is fair that arty feeds off the work of others, i.e. people who do all the dirty work of spotting for them?

Since that is the way arty works in game and in real life, that seems appropriate. I'd say its fair too, since arty earns fewer rewards than the regular tank classes.

Do you think it is fair that arty team damages and team kills their own people just because they are near a target of opportunity?

No more unfair than direct fire team damage, which happens to me just as often as team damage from arty.

Do you think it is fair that arty can shoot just about anywhere on the map and do splash damage?

Most tanks can shoot from one end of the map to the other. Arty just has the ability to see while aiming beyond the max draw distance. All HE shells have splash and while the arty splash may be exaggerated (plus it includes stun), their shells also get half as much pen and do less damage. Considering the balancing handicaps to arty, those advantages are not unfair. To claim it is unfair, you should also decry the fact that regular tanks can shoot from beyond max visual range (up to max render distance), as long as somebody is spotting for them and sending the precise aiming information (via radio).

You want to talk about fair, arty is not even remotely fair in this game. 

As long as arty is not out performing regular tanks for damage or experience, and is not helping players pad their win rates compared to regular tanks, I'd say its pretty fair. It is a team game after all and the enemy team usually has arty too, so the enemy is dealing with the same arty threat that you face. Arty has some powerful abilities, but they are balanced with major handicaps too.

B0ngHits #129 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 11:50

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 27232 battles
Heh heh heh :)

EmperorJuliusCaesar #130 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 10:10

Major

• Players
  • 30786 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostSnakePlisskenn, on Sep 13 2018 - 12:38, said:

View PostAltwar, on Sep 13 2018 - 06:13, said:

C'mon man.  Unsubstantiated data from a player who make it clear in their closing on the post that they hate arty.  That's called biased.   Your link is useless as I've explained to you a few times before.

I could easily make a similar post with made up "data" that substantiates any point I wish to make and it would be just as empty as that player's.

And again, that post claims an account was shared, which if anything, shows a lack of integrity and further casts in doubt anything that was said there.

This the best they got because there is no data to support irrational emotional objections to something WG has already reduced to a shadow of what it was. They always toss out the "no skill" line which is far from true. they toss out XVM sniping but yet portray arty players as dumb as rocks which is completely inconsistent. They had to stop with the one shot from the sky thing because arty can not generate enough damage to do that even infrequently. Its an emotional, irrational fear of something in the game that they don't like. There is no reason or justifications that can be produced except fake links like he used.

I do think most arty players would enjoy having a cap of two or maybe even one per match. I doubt any would complain of a minimal wait to play arty if that were implemented.

Add back some damage an I also think most would not care if stun were removed.

But we all know that wont stop the complainers because they have worked themselves up over the years to the point of unreasonable an again irrational emotions. Remove arty and TDs are next in line for the same constant complaining.

There is data they could show, and some have on youtube and in streams......."Arty damage log" is a mod that anyone can run, and what does it show?  They don't get hit anymore than anyone else.

I prefer 3 arty per match, it makes the game more exciting, I don't want it lowered, and they said they weren't going to lower it, so I don't think I have to worry.

In WG released emails, they knew that after nerfing arty that TD complaints would pick up, sure enough, they did.  People want easy mode, thankfully WG doesn't listen to them much.  If they want easy mode they should play Blitz.

EmperorJuliusCaesar #131 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 10:13

Major

• Players
  • 30786 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View Postmrmojo, on Sep 13 2018 - 14:41, said:

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Sep 13 2018 - 15:07, said:

That's just a stupid idea that keeps getting brought up by irrationalist. Nobody not playing arty would pick to play with it just as someone in a lightly armoured heavy would check a box to not have heavily armoured heavy's in the game, or derp heavies, or TD's, etc., etc. I have no problem with arty but when I'm in a game without it I know I can play a lot lazier or if I know I have an armour advantage I can bully. If we could pick what I don't want to face the game wouldn't work.

It is very rational and in one move offers a solution to a ongoing problem.

People who like arty would always choose to play with arty (whether they are playing a tank or a SPG)  and people who don't would choose to play arty free.

I see 6 of your most played tanks are arty - why would you choose arty free? It seems to be something you like playing...

It's only a problem for a very vocal minority.  The majority(every poll reveals this), likes the game just as it is.

WG stated the "check box" will never happen as it's stupid to exclude one class, arty, heavies, etc.  The PC versions includes 5 classes, people just have to get used to that as they've stated MANY times it's never getting removed.

EmperorJuliusCaesar #132 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 10:19

Major

• Players
  • 30786 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostStaz211, on Sep 13 2018 - 16:47, said:

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Sep 13 2018 - 03:36, said:

Read what I wrote, if I WASN'T in an SPG of course I would want no SPGs, especially in something slow, just like I wouldn't want anything that I would have a problem with in any kind of tank. How many people would choose to have no Japanese heavies if they were playing a heavy? No invisible TD's in case thy get open maps? No light tanks if they were playing SPG's?

The whole reason irrationalists don't like SPG's is it doesn't let them play lazy. Bad players usually just make big mistakes that SPG's take advantage of then rage about it and good players can't exploit strong positions for extended periods of time to up their stats and rage about that. I'd love to have a really good hull down tank and no SPG's, I could just park behind something to protect my hull and farm damage without worrying about HE raining down on my head. I'm sure nobody would come here and cry about the cancer of tanks with strong turrets then.

Arty players calling anyone else lazy is always one of my favorite things. 

That's because it's true.  Lazy drivers are the easy targets, those that have adapted and learned to play with arty often aren't worth shooting at because of the way they are driving makes then hard to hit. 

People don't realize how predictable they are and simply going back and forth in the same pattern doesn't cut it, but the erratic way that some drive does.  They are smart and not lazy to just sit still or go back and forth in the same predictable pattern.  Playing arty, I learned to do this from them because of how hard it was to hit them.  Again, people are too lazy/to predictable to do what it takes to avoid being hit very much.

Staz211 #133 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 10:22

Major

• Players
  • 27045 battles

View PostEmperorJuliusCaesar, on Sep 25 2018 - 04:10, said:

There is data they could show, and some have on youtube and in streams......."Arty damage log" is a mod that anyone can run, and what does it show?  They don't get hit anymore than anyone else.

I prefer 3 arty per match, it makes the game more exciting, I don't want it lowered, and they said they weren't going to lower it, so I don't think I have to worry.

In WG released emails, they knew that after nerfing arty that TD complaints would pick up, sure enough, they did.  People want easy mode, thankfully WG doesn't listen to them much.  If they want easy mode they should play Blitz.

Released WG email. Who  are you, Templars8? 

Specie_8472 #134 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 13:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 38178 battles
Provide only two arty per match, with the ability to fire smoke rounds to help their team and to allow for indirect fire resulting in a repeated concentrated fire on the designated area.

24cups #135 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:29

Major

• Players
  • 23178 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postruar, on Sep 15 2018 - 08:10, said:

Having an untouchable hand of god shooting from across the map and influencing nearly every aspect of a fight has driven hundreds of thousands of players away from the game.

Slight exaggeration  ?

NK_33 #136 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 15:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 19307 battles

First, buff the HP and maneuverability of all artillery.

Second, give all tanks when firing HE the top down artillery view and a massive nerf to accuracy, so everyone can play lobbing death from above.

Third, give all artillery a siege mode that buffs accuracy to almost the level of TDs, but they get standard sniper mode as their alt view.

Basically make the death from above no longer an artillery exclusive (but you'd have to be clever about your positioning to get the gun elevation to get good range).  It's just that artillery would be better at it.

Give artillery the ability to fire as a TD from siege mode, just not a very good one.

So now everyone can rain HE on others, and artillery can effectively move up and support with direct fire.

Edited by NK_33, Sep 25 2018 - 15:59.

EmperorJuliusCaesar #137 Posted Sep 26 2018 - 14:15

Major

• Players
  • 30786 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Sep 17 2018 - 04:42, said:

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Sep 16 2018 - 22:35, said:

Never seen him use the word arty "revisionist" ever. And if the poll debunks anything, its that the majority hate arty and prefer it removed from this game. That figure seems to be less than 37%.

yes, and of those 37%, there are many of this vocal minority who use multiple accounts, to boost even this number.

a fine example of a player who cannot help himself, interjecting into any discussion containing the word artillery, and then in a failed attempt to prove universal hatred , shoots his entire community in the foot, with this outstanding display. A sure way to ensure a negative credibility score.  And he is not the only one.  

Wow, how sad and pathetic is that....

EmperorJuliusCaesar #138 Posted Sep 26 2018 - 14:22

Major

• Players
  • 30786 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostTiocfaidh_Arla, on Sep 19 2018 - 04:05, said:

View PostWhineMaker, on Sep 18 2018 - 19:05, said:

The salt is REAL... :arta:

You may not know that WoT Blitz can solve all your issues with arty...

You keep touting Blitz like it is a REAL alternative with equivalency in all things except arty. You are wrong. Have you ever even played it? If the only thing that was different was the lack of arty, trust me you would have no issues with people decrying arty on this board because they wouldn't be here. If the game was equal, the anti-arty crowd would be playing it. Would suck for regular WOT though because your wait times would be horrendous.

Just because you don't like the shifter on your Camaro, you don't trade it in for a Yugo. You attempt to get the company to change the faulty shifter. Your faulty logic is as real as the salt you proclaim so often.

And when the company keeps telling you over and over they will never change the shifter.......maybe it's time to stop wasting your time and do something else, while the majority enjoy the shifter that is actually just fine.

Rundog #139 Posted Sep 26 2018 - 16:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28681 battles
Reduce splash diameter 20-30%. Job done.

thomasedison2007 #140 Posted Oct 19 2018 - 23:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 68594 battles

time for tier 8 premium arty.

i am willing to pay gold.

a good way for wot to earn extra cash...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users