• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

YEMX13 #1 Posted Sep 15 2018 - 14:45

Private

• -Players-
  • 3071 battles
  • [80PRF] 80PRF

Hello everyone,

So I've been playing off and on for few years now. But due to being inconsistent and committed to being a full time player, I feel as though 'm not improving or my skill level doesn't match up with the time I have invested into the game. Enjoy playing all the different types of tanks and have tried to be a solid all around player that can contribute accordingly no matter the situation. I've tried to stay focused on the American line and stay at the Tier V/VI. Just recently I've began to move up through the German and Russian tank lines, but my progress is moving slower than desired. Lol

Are light tanks and mediums where I should focus my attention until my game play improves?

Is there a particular tank line that I may be better at looking at my battle history?

I do try to read the forums and watch various videos regularly, but playing more and being more patient seems to be my own self evaluation of how to improve.

Thanks for any insight you may provide!!

Nudnick #2 Posted Sep 15 2018 - 14:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 24189 battles
Mediums and heavies, avoid lights. Russian and American lines are easier. If you're considering spending some money, the Berlin Five Gold deal is really good. You get FIVE premium mid tier tanks with trained BIA crews plus other goodies. They're all good training tanks of different types that can earn you a bunch of credits. The low tiers now are a waste of time, get above tier 5 as fast as you can if you're not going to buy any premiums.

Edited by Nudnick, Sep 15 2018 - 15:03.

J3Tears #3 Posted Sep 15 2018 - 16:43

Private

• -Players-
  • 929 battles

You should completly ignore Light Tanks until you are a better player. They have no armor and if you make a Mistake its very unforgiving.  Id personally focus on the Russian heavy line down the IS-7. or the American Heavy line down the T110E5.  Reason being is the Is-7 can be a basic tank to play with its strong turret armor and Spaced Side Armor that fights against HEAT rounds.      The T110E5 line because when you get to the T29 and T32 you can learn to be hull down and what ridges to fight on. Then the M103 and T110E5 you will need to learn to shoot, Aim your gun up and Wiggle your turret to avoid getting shot in the Copula. 

You can also focus on Mediums if you wish and anything else to learn game play styles and what suits you best. I personally just think heavies are a good way to learn the game because they have armor and you wont instantly die most of the time if you over extend.  If you wish to play lights you can watch some videos where the hot spots for bushes are on maps and you definitely need to learn View Range and Camo Mechanics.

dunniteowl #4 Posted Sep 16 2018 - 15:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 21572 battles

I will give you this, because, under the circumstances, I believe it's going to be really useful to you:

The WoT Welcome Package

First of all, Welcome to the Madness that is World of Tanks (PC) !  In this Welcome Package you will find:

1) The "WoT Player's Bible"

2) The Prioritization Mantra for Play

3) A short list of "Don't's, please" and a bit of advice

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things

1)  The WoT Player's Bible

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki  These are the rules of the game, essentially.  It is linked at Vision and Spotting, though you should get familiar with it all.

Crew -- Global Wiki   The only thing that improves continuously (other than YOU) is your Crew.  Here is their proper care and feeding manual.

The game mechanics are often considered cheating to many players.  The knowledge you gain from knowing how the game looks at you and all other players is crucial to understanding the WHY of all the HOW of ALL the Tips, Tricks and Techniques you will learn over time to improve your chances of success in the game.

Arthur C. Clarke once said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  The game rules are complex.  The game rules run on math most folks don't get in high school.  It runs on math a lot of folks don't get in college.  So, it qualifies, to most folks, as 'sufficiently advanced' as to be 'indistinguishable from magic' when it comes to knowing what's going on in the game.  So, when they meet a situation they simply cannot understand, they call cheating.  It's about ninety nine point nine nine nine eight or so that it might be you getting pawned by a better or lucky player.  Learn from it.

Learn the Rules.  Become a Magician of the Game!

2)  With all this stuff comes a lot of stuff to remember!  

While you're mashing buttons, aiming-in, waiting for reload, checking your mini-map, angling your armor, getting hull down, avoiding arty, remaining unspotted, etc. it can be hard to stay focused on the most basic things that keep you in the game.  So, from reading many, MANY forum posts before ever posting here and learning from others (who have really good WRs) I came to distill what I consider the Essential or Core concepts in this game from a playing perspective.  In doing this, I came to the conclusion that I needed something to help me stay focused on the primary basics of play that would keep me active and playing, instead of a lump in the corner.

The Prioritization Mantra

Survive (if you do not survive, you cannot)

Do Damage (if you can't/don't do damage find another way to)

Help Your Team (if you can't/won't do this, you will have a harder time to)

Win? (which is never guaranteed)

This handy little mantra will help you to remember what you should be doing at any given time in the match.  It is listed in order of priority as well, because if you can't do one above, you can't get to the next below in the list.  If you are moving and take a hit, what do you do?  Survive!  Number One!  Get cover, get out of the line of fire, survive!

See how easy that is?  It really works and is easy to remember, because all you have to do is repeat to yourself, Survive, Do Damage, Help Your Team and nothing more.  Haven't fired your stick in 30 seconds or longer?  Move, because you are surviving, now you need to DO DAMAGE.  It really is easy, effective and efficient at keeping your head where it should be while playing at all times under any circumstances.

3) A few "Don't's Please" and some advice:  

This game is reputedly fun.  I have found the fun in my playing, but only after a bit of reaching down deep to find my own sense of fun in this crazy, complicated and chaotic game.  I don't normally tell anyone how to play.  Not at all.  I tell folks how I play and indicate that these methods are what took me from a steady 48% player to a pretty steady 54% player in my recents for the last two and a half years.  With my computer and rural wireless connection, so I think I can make a claim of ability.

The Don't's:

1) Don't map spam ping.  This is that super annoying thing that I did when I first started and I see others do it all the time.  First of all, map pinging before the start of match is sheer idiocy unless you ping and type, "I'm going there to spot," or some such thing.

This is NOT everyone's first rodeo and you (no matter who you are) are not Erwin Rommel, George Patton or Bernie Montgomery, so there's no reason to inform everyone what's important on the map to you.  I was told in less formal language and promptly re-evaluated my level of 'superior' knowledge sharing in chat.

Map Spam is annoying for two obvious reasons:

1] It clutters up the chat window and constantly highlights it, making it a distraction to the mind instead of an communications tool.  It also eats up any other potentially valuable information from your other team mates.  It's like the guy with his butt on the mic-key of his walkie-talkie, completely oblivious that he's the only sound ANYONE else can hear.  This will NOT make you friends if you map spam.

2] Again, it creates a distraction

The sheer number of times someone can do this will make others want to TK that spammer.  This sort of distraction actually causes problems for success -- don't be that guy that everyone else hates for helping lose a match by being too communicative.

Considering WHO-Who-whoo is telling you that, you should really think that through.  The NOT QUIET GUY saying don't communicate too much should be important.

Be really familiar with your Garage.  There are many ways to do the same things from different 'pages' and places in those 'pages' in your Garage.  I'm not sure how it applies now, with the Gold changes due, but you should also always make sure that you're going to buy something with Credits instead of Gold at each transaction where Gold might enter into the mix.

It used to default to using gold, which was how I ended up with none very early on.  I simply didn't know any better.  Learn from my mistakes.

Training:

Only learn one or two New Things at a time.  If you're going to learn to spot, then forget about all that armor angling and getting hull down stuff for now, because it will just get in the way.  Spotting is something to learn as well as those other things.  Most times, you're going to be learning all these new things while hitting "Battle!" and playing.  Which is why I developed the Prioritization Mantra.  Trying to learn something new when you're learning all sorts of new stuff is hard to keep track of what you should be doing right this moment.  The Mantra is your guidepost.

4) Some Useful Links for Learning Things:

In the camp of stuff you have to read and look through I highly recommend you read through these links:

Lert's Collection of Guides and Tutorials

Sask Outrider's Guides and Thoughts

And, while there are all manner of video streamers, YT vid personalities and what not, I consider this to be the single best source of video comprehensive WoT related educational video:  Zeven's Replay Reviews

(more will be added later as I get my stuff better organized)

Other than that, welcome once again and I hope any of this you (and any others) find helpful, useful or of value in some manner for playing.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

24cups #5 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 17:11

Major

• Players
  • 22962 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Go west young man, go west.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users