Camping Noobie

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

The_Ice_Cream_Man_ #41 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 00:16

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 23211 battles

View PostEricmopar, on Sep 16 2018 - 08:09, said:

I was wondering if this is camping. According to someone in the chat, we're all camping noobs etc.

http://wotreplays.eu...-ericmopar-kv-1

you had an inactive gun most of game. you got lucky your team won inspite of having you on the team.  you may have been bottom tier heavy, but your gun can pen the heavies on enemy team cuz they were soft heavy variety in terms of armor.  you had an inactive gun for most of the game,  you gonna play like that play a td.  put it this way, you didnt play your heavy the way you were suppose to.  also you were in that ditch at end, not good cuz russian heavies dont have good gun depression.

scHnuuudle_bop #42 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 00:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 17920 battles
  • [MUG-T] MUG-T

View PostFlarvin, on Sep 17 2018 - 20:35, said:

You need to know the definition used by your audience. Regardless how many actual definitions the term might hold. 

On this forum, camping means bad camping. 

In the forum, maybe many people are referring to "back camping", "spawn camping" or "bad camping".

In the game though, when someone rants about campers, it is inevitably referring to a player, who is stationary, but in a position, where they can(not necessarily are) contribute, and a large percentage of these rant victims are the highest scoring in the battle, or at least contributed. 

The frequent rantings about "campers" in a battle are screeching about a "good camper", whatever the definition used. It is a misused term in game.

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Sep 18 2018 - 00:53.

Kliphie #43 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 01:21

Major

• Players
  • 30606 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Sep 17 2018 - 18:52, said:

In the forum, maybe many people are referring to "back camping", "spawn camping" or "bad camping".

In the game though, when someone rants about campers, it is inevitably referring to a player, who is stationary, but in a position, where they can(not necessarily are) contribute, and a large percentage of these rant victims are the highest scoring in the battle, or at least contributed. 

The frequent rantings about "campers" in a battle are screeching about a "good camper", whatever the definition used. It is a misused term in game.

While it has happened, to claim that a large percentage of those accused of camping as actually having played well is pure sophistry.  

The_Ice_Cream_Man_ #44 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 01:31

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 23211 battles

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Sep 18 2018 - 00:52, said:

stationary is afk or disconnected.

scHnuuudle_bop #45 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 02:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 17920 battles
  • [MUG-T] MUG-T

http://wotreplays.eu...sader_5_5-in_sp

now here is a replay from yesterday, the 2 red heavies coming up hill, The tier 8 is constantly moving, therefore was hard to hit,

the tier 7 T29, was camping, stationary, just sitting there, he could have been useful to his team, but camped and paid dearly for it.

He was neither AFK or disconnected

Flarvin #46 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 02:02

Major

• Players
  • 51829 battles

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Sep 17 2018 - 18:52, said:

Since this is the forum, and that is definition used. 

And in game chat, players even rant about camping when the player in question was moving all game.

So what if the term is used wrongly in game chat, many terms are wrongly used in chat. 

Kliphie #47 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 02:25

Major

• Players
  • 30606 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Sep 17 2018 - 20:00, said:

http://wotreplays.eu...sader_5_5-in_sp

now here is a replay from yesterday, the 2 red heavies coming up hill, The tier 8 is constantly moving, therefore was hard to hit,

the tier 7 T29, was camping, stationary, just sitting there, he could have been useful to his team, but camped and paid dearly for it.

He was neither AFK or disconnected

Just so much no.  The T29 was within 100 meters of his opponents and firing constantly, if ineffectually.   Your team out-positioned them on the hill and pinned him A7 in the no man's land at the base of the slope.  The only reason you focused him over the VK wasn't a difference in their movements but the VK's better armor making the 304 pea shooter gun useless on it.  

There was a textbook example of an actual camping in your replay, though.  The AT-15A, T-44-100 and  O-Ni on your team went south and did nothing for the first half of the game.  They then tried to snipe, poorly, and managed to farm some garbage damage when the game was already lost. 

scHnuuudle_bop #48 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 05:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 17920 battles
  • [MUG-T] MUG-T

View PostKliphie, on Sep 18 2018 - 02:25, said:

Just so much no.  The T29 was within 100 meters of his opponents and firing constantly, if ineffectually.   Your team out-positioned them on the hill and pinned him A7 in the no man's land at the base of the slope.  The only reason you focused him over the VK wasn't a difference in their movements but the VK's better armor making the 304 pea shooter gun useless on it.  

There was a textbook example of an actual camping in your replay, though.  The AT-15A, T-44-100 and  O-Ni on your team went south and did nothing for the first half of the game.  They then tried to snipe, poorly, and managed to farm some garbage damage when the game was already lost. 

right, but not the point I was trying to make, the T29, was stationary, the VK was not, I bounced 4 off the VK, but his great movment style caused me to miss him twice,  therefore t poor T29 made a far better target, and boy oh boy, that player  made it easy. Someone said stationary is afk or disconnected, he was neither, just parked, getting bashed around, and probably blaming me.

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Sep 18 2018 - 07:51.

scHnuuudle_bop #49 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 06:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 17920 battles
  • [MUG-T] MUG-T

Anyway, I think Mr Mopar must be getting the point, be cautious, but keep  gun in game,

There at least 2 contested definitions of camping, and ignore the peanut gallery in game.

And he did okay in his replay

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Sep 18 2018 - 06:37.

Kliphie #50 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 13:22

Major

• Players
  • 30606 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Sep 17 2018 - 23:07, said:

right, but not the point I was trying to make, the T29, was stationary, the VK was not, I bounced 4 off the VK, but his great movment style caused me to miss him twice,  therefore t poor T29 made a far better target, and boy oh boy, that player  made it easy. Someone said stationary is afk or disconnected, he was neither, just parked, getting bashed around, and probably blaming me.

And what everyone else is telling you, being pinned down is not what 99% of your peers use as the definition of camping.  He was actively engaging enemies.  He was killed by the mid point of the game yet traveled 40% further than your O-Ni who was the last to die.  At worst you'd call him doing poorly in being arty safe, but that's the entirety of Malinovka.  

The irony is your replay actually had a nice example of the harmful effects of camping by your teammates. 

scHnuuudle_bop #51 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 20:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 17920 battles
  • [MUG-T] MUG-T

View PostKliphie, on Sep 18 2018 - 13:22, said:

And what everyone else is telling you, being pinned down is not what 99% of your peers use as the definition of camping.  He was actively engaging enemies.  He was killed by the mid point of the game yet traveled 40% further than your O-Ni who was the last to die.  At worst you'd call him doing poorly in being arty safe, but that's the entirety of Malinovka.  

The irony is your replay actually had a nice example of the harmful effects of camping by your teammates. 

I actually saved that replay because of another thread, where the OP wanted to know why artillery players choose lower tier or weaker tanks over the highest tier.

Thought this VK and T29 showed why I do it.

The VK remained pretty safe for one  reason beyond armour, once I took 300hp off him,  he never stopped moving, and as he moved it was unpredictable. Once a player starts moving like he was, there are always lumps like the T29. 

I put it here , simply to show that a stationary tank is not either AFK or disconnected.

He got battered because he just sat like a lump, despite being hit 8 times, just by me, goof didn't seem to realize until he was down to double digit hp.

And the definition of camping, well debated here long and hard. Lets just say I tried hard to convince him to move along, perhaps use his S key, because he was just parked.

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Sep 18 2018 - 20:59.

Boghie #52 Posted Sep 18 2018 - 22:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5494 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I have NEVER heard the term 'camping' with a positive connotation.  To me, it has always been Red-Line Camping.

However, I have also NEVER played another on-line, multi-player game.

This is the only one, so I guess live and learn.

In the end, OP was not Red-Line Camping.  Also, it was understandable that OP did not lead with his/her face end-game.  But, as the IS-2 moved forward I, personally, would have moved forward.  Give the enemy two/three vehicles to fire at.  The action of firing rounds by the enemy as you close in on them spots them.  All remaining guns can be brought to bear.  Had the lonely IS-2 been blown away while you were still outside spotting range (ie, you had not advanced with him) then the spot would have been lost quickly.  What that kinda maneuver leads to is a one by one attack on an outnumbered enemy.  That plays into their hands.  That is really the only way they can win.

Zepath #53 Posted Sep 19 2018 - 07:15

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4021 battles

LOL!  Why do you care what others are saying?  

CAMPING = "You aren't playing the way I want you to play!  Whaaaaaa!" 

Screw em, enjoy your game, play the way you want to play.

Also tagged with Camping, Noobie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users