An analysis of the broken tier 8 matchmaking

3/5/7 Matchmaker Tier8 Matchmaking 5/10 Why Play Tier 8 Premiums? Why buy tier 8 premiums?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Bavor #1 Posted Sep 22 2018 - 00:57

Major

• Players
  • 31636 battles

Some of the community contributors said that at Tankfest that they were told by Wargaming employees the matchmaking mechanic that increases your chance of being top tier or middle tier after being bottom tier has not worked since 9.18 was released.  It looks like they are speaking the truth.

I kept track of my last 600 solo pub battles (all battles since 1.0 was released) in an excel spreadsheet.  I played mostly tier 8 through 10 with the occasional tier 6 and 7 battle.  I included tank played, tank tier, battle tier, type of matchmaking(all 1 tier, 5/10. or 3/5/7), and other details.  Most of the battles were played between 7 PM and 11 PM east coast time when the server population is highest.  This is what I found...

Tier 8 3/5/7 battles: 155

Top tier: 22 battles 14.19% of 3/5/7 battles

Middle Tier: 34 battles 21.94% of 3/5/7 battles

Bottom Tier: 99 battles 63.87% of 3/5/7 battles

Tier 8 5/10 battles: 66

Top tier: 8 battles 12.12% of 5/10 battles

Bottom Tier: 58 battles 87.88% of 5/10 battles

All tier 8 tanks in a battle: 14

Out of the 221 battles where I played a tier 8 tank and the battle was more than 1 tier, I was top tier 30 times.  That's 13.56% of my tier 8 multi tier battles are top tier.  Its obvious 3/5/7 and 5/10 matchmaking doesn't work properly.  I had days where I was playing tier 8 premiums to grind credits and I was getting tier 9 and 10 battles all day.

Wargaming wonders why players dislike the new matchmaker?  Maybe we should boycott buying tier 8 premium tanks, or all premium tanks, until the matchmaking is fixed.  

When playing my tier 8 tanks I rarely had to wait more than 7 to 10 seconds before I was dropped into a battle.  Maybe if Matchmaker worked correctly, I'd have to wait up to 20 seconds for a battle, but I wouldn't be bottom tier all the time.

BabA_YA6A #2 Posted Sep 22 2018 - 02:11

Captain

• Players
  • 26287 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

I like the game and I used to spent a pretty penny on it.

But with the abysmal MM, sound bugs and the crappy RNG I have not spent any money in quite some time.

I have 55 days of premium time left and when that runs I just play my standard account until wargaming addresses some of the issues.

_Katyusha___ #3 Posted Sep 22 2018 - 03:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14692 battles
  • [KTSHA] KTSHA

I only play consistently my Tiger II at tier VIII. 

Do you know what? I cannot find any "low tier" bias in matches. Some times is top, some times is IX-VIII only, some times is low tier, sure, but no significant difference IMO, also I dont feel useless in tier X battles (unless my team doomed). Maybe i dont even notice being in more tier X battles because i dont assume i cant fight back, and go try my best (sorry to my teammates, my best is not enough sometimes, lol)

Please note that is a Tiger II tank, a tank "supposed" to badly need buffs. At least somehow i manage to 54%

Treeburst #4 Posted Sep 22 2018 - 04:56

Captain

• Players
  • 30772 battles
What makes you think that isn’t working as intended?

docroberts #5 Posted Sep 22 2018 - 05:22

Captain

• Players
  • 19207 battles
  • [TONKX] TONKX

View PostBabA_YA6A, on Sep 21 2018 - 19:11, said:

But with the abysmal MM, sound bugs and the crappy RNG I have not spent any money in quite some time.

I have 55 days of premium time left and when that runs I just play my standard account until wargaming addresses some of the issues.

Same here . Would be nice if WGing would lay off the Freaking Crack pipe till they can fix this mess they call a game . 

golruul #6 Posted Sep 22 2018 - 07:26

Captain

• Players
  • 21581 battles

Those number ratios are about what I got too when I started tracking my tier 8 3/5/7 MM. 

No need to boycott anything -- people are voting with their feet and just not playing the game anymore.  WG apparently recognizes this and are attempting to do something about it, but probably waaaay too late.

I generally don't play much since Frontlines ended, except for a few events here and there.  When this British challenge ends, I'll most likely go back to not even bothering to play until another interesting event comes up.

Bavor #7 Posted Sep 22 2018 - 14:39

Major

• Players
  • 31636 battles

View PostTreeburst, on Sep 21 2018 - 22:56, said:

What makes you think that isn’t working as intended?

Because Wargaming is a business and long term players who spend money on the game have been leaving and playing other games due to the matchmaking.  Players who spend money on the game that leave are bad for business.  

On the sites that track active players, the number of active players dropped a few weeks after the release of 9.18, which introduced the 3/5/7 and 5/10 template matchmaking.  Then the number of active players dropped again a few weeks after the release of 1.0.

Treeburst #8 Posted Sep 22 2018 - 15:21

Captain

• Players
  • 30772 battles

People leaving aren't necessarily bad, if the players that remain are spending more money.

I actually suspect that the tier 8 matchmaking is intentional, trying to get people to spend money to get past multiple unpleasant grinds. And if that is what is happening (I'm certainly not privy to that information), then I would guess that is far more profitable for WG than people buying a tier 8 premium and playing thousands of games in it.

Guido1212 #9 Posted Sep 22 2018 - 15:35

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 77350 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
It's a good example that not all complaints about the game are valid or need "fixing".  The old MM was better, but it got just as much hate.  All it needed was tweaking to stop the 6 top tier vs 3 top tier mismatches and the huge HP mismatches (usually based on Hvy Tank mismatches).  I'd take the old MM back any day.

Edited by Guido1212, Sep 22 2018 - 15:36.

SahintheFalcon #10 Posted Sep 23 2018 - 00:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39469 battles
  • [RGJ] RGJ

View PostGuido1212, on Sep 22 2018 - 15:35, said:

It's a good example that not all complaints about the game are valid or need "fixing".  The old MM was better, but it got just as much hate.  All it needed was tweaking to stop the 6 top tier vs 3 top tier mismatches and the huge HP mismatches (usually based on Hvy Tank mismatches).  I'd take the old MM back any day.

THIS. 

The problem was never the tiering, but the mismatches. Wargaming fixes the mismatches but had no reason to change tier rules. 

_cthulhu_ #11 Posted Sep 23 2018 - 01:03

Captain

• Players
  • 46589 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostBavor, on Sep 22 2018 - 11:57, said:

Some of the community contributors said that at Tankfest that they were told by Wargaming employees the matchmaking mechanic that increases your chance of being top tier or middle tier after being bottom tier has not worked since 9.18 was released.  It looks like they are speaking the truth.

No, what they said this "it was never implemented", that is not broken, it simply doesn't exist

But WeeGee said it will take 6 months to actually put it in.

_cthulhu_ #12 Posted Sep 23 2018 - 01:11

Captain

• Players
  • 46589 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

Double post

golruul #13 Posted Sep 23 2018 - 05:53

Captain

• Players
  • 21581 battles

View Post_cthulhu_, on Sep 22 2018 - 18:03, said:

No, what they said this "it was never implemented", that is not broken, it simply doesn't exist

But WeeGee said it will take 6 months to actually put it in.

The cynic in me thinks this will be implemented as "bottom tier in 3/5/7 for three games in a row?  Ok, make player 'top tier' by having a battle with all the tanks being the same tier.  Then back to being bottom guy three times..."

LpBronco #14 Posted Sep 23 2018 - 15:09

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 40132 battles
  • [TG] TG

View PostGuido1212, on Sep 22 2018 - 09:35, said:

I know the present matchmaking has slowed my play as it gets harder and harder to hit the battle button. Skirmishes and Advances keep me playing but I'd really enjoy being able to play my premium content again ( and, by the way, I have almost ALL of them, Wargaming)

grandthefttankV #15 Posted Sep 24 2018 - 22:06

Captain

• Players
  • 31854 battles
  • [DBLTG] DBLTG

View PostBavor, on Sep 21 2018 - 23:57, said:

I kept track of my last 600 solo pub battles (all battles since 1.0 was released) in an excel spreadsheet.  I played mostly tier 8 through 10 with the occasional tier 6 and 7 battle.  I included tank played, tank tier, battle tier, type of matchmaking(all 1 tier, 5/10. or 3/5/7), and other details.  Most of the battles were played between 7 PM and 11 PM east coast time when the server population is highest.  This is what I found...

Tier 8 3/5/7 battles: 155

Top tier: 22 battles 14.19% of 3/5/7 battles

Middle Tier: 34 battles 21.94% of 3/5/7 battles

Bottom Tier: 99 battles 63.87% of 3/5/7 battles

Tier 8 5/10 battles: 66

Top tier: 8 battles 12.12% of 5/10 battles

Bottom Tier: 58 battles 87.88% of 5/10 battles

All tier 8 tanks in a battle: 14

Out of the 221 battles where I played a tier 8 tank and the battle was more than 1 tier, I was top tier 30 times.  That's 13.56% of my tier 8 multi tier battles are top tier.  Its obvious 3/5/7 and 5/10 matchmaking doesn't work properly.  I had days where I was playing tier 8 premiums to grind credits and I was getting tier 9 and 10 battles all day.

Wargaming wonders why players dislike the new matchmaker?  Maybe we should boycott buying tier 8 premium tanks, or all premium tanks, until the matchmaking is fixed.  

When playing my tier 8 tanks I rarely had to wait more than 7 to 10 seconds before I was dropped into a battle.  Maybe if Matchmaker worked correctly, I'd have to wait up to 20 seconds for a battle, but I wouldn't be bottom tier all the time.

Thank you for this incredibly detailed study. As someone with a PhD in Applied Derp Sciences, I have peer reviewed your work and concur with you that tier 8 mm is indeed broken like a dumpster fire.

AJABOOBOO #16 Posted Sep 24 2018 - 22:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 6406 battles
  • [U_S_M] U_S_M

To put it simply, Wargaming or more importantly Victor Kislyi who is the owner of this horrible company do not give a single solitary turd about the players or what they think. They only care about getting your money and specifically western or non-russian moneys. They do not care about balance and even despise it. notice how for years the Russian tank line is absurdly overpowered and actually buffed far beyond historical values?

Its called an insult folks. Victor Kislyi is insulting you idiots who keep spending money on this game. The latest Russian OP nonsensical tank is just one more in a long line of F-ck you to the player base.

Everything this company does is to make a profit. It is a multi billion dollar enterprise which nothing is done on accident and nothing is done that wont encourage real money to be spent. The frustration factor we are experiencing is all part of that.

Ever wonder why the equations that WG gives about things like MM never ever seem to match up to the data gathered and compiled by people like Bavor here?

thats because Bavor is missing one small part of the math, MONEY.

put the greed factor into your mathematical MM algorithms and poof!

all the sudden the MM makes sense. The "RNG" makes sense and so does the horrible anti-balance of this game. Heck even the maps are designed to favor a specific nation tanks (russian) over all others.

Ah the MM seems rigged and unfair?

it is but too bad and get premium tanks and time or go broke.

The Russian line tanks are way over powered even far beyond historical values?

too bad we will call it "Balance" and then give the equivalent of a middle finger.

Bought a premium non-russian tank thats was way too op and could kill russians?

we just remove it and give you a tricycle with pop-gun.

In short Wargaming other wise known as Victor Kislyi's bank account only gives a crap about money. They don't even care about the costumer who spends the money or what they think only that Victor Kislyi's bank account gets a little fatter.

Quake_Guy #17 Posted Sep 26 2018 - 06:10

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2927 battles

I only have one Tier 8, a M46 KR, it was a fun tank to play.  I was about 56% win rate in it, it has dropped to 50% over a few days,  maybe 2 wins out of 15 games.  It has gone to hell. 

I am pretty much done spending money on this game until something changes.

Blazzy #18 Posted Sep 26 2018 - 06:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30822 battles
MM doesn't promote new players leveling to higher tiers, since they're always thrown into a match as mid/low tier in the game.  Stock low tier tank grinds fighting vs higher tiers just ruins the grind.

Edited by Blazzy, Sep 26 2018 - 06:17.

OldViking57 #19 Posted Sep 26 2018 - 07:22

Private

• -Players-
  • 5688 battles

View PostAJABOOBOO, on Sep 24 2018 - 22:33, said:

To put it simply, Wargaming or more importantly Victor Kislyi who is the owner of this horrible company do not give a single solitary turd about the players or what they think. They only care about getting your money and specifically western or non-russian moneys. They do not care about balance and even despise it. notice how for years the Russian tank line is absurdly overpowered and actually buffed far beyond historical values?

Its called an insult folks. Victor Kislyi is insulting you idiots who keep spending money on this game. The latest Russian OP nonsensical tank is just one more in a long line of F-ck you to the player base.

Everything this company does is to make a profit. It is a multi billion dollar enterprise which nothing is done on accident and nothing is done that wont encourage real money to be spent. The frustration factor we are experiencing is all part of that.

Ever wonder why the equations that WG gives about things like MM never ever seem to match up to the data gathered and compiled by people like Bavor here?

thats because Bavor is missing one small part of the math, MONEY.

put the greed factor into your mathematical MM algorithms and poof!

all the sudden the MM makes sense. The "RNG" makes sense and so does the horrible anti-balance of this game. Heck even the maps are designed to favor a specific nation tanks (russian) over all others.

Ah the MM seems rigged and unfair?

it is but too bad and get premium tanks and time or go broke.

The Russian line tanks are way over powered even far beyond historical values?

too bad we will call it "Balance" and then give the equivalent of a middle finger.

Bought a premium non-russian tank thats was way too op and could kill russians?

we just remove it and give you a tricycle with pop-gun.

In short Wargaming other wise known as Victor Kislyi's bank account only gives a crap about money. They don't even care about the costumer who spends the money or what they think only that Victor Kislyi's bank account gets a little fatter.

Spot on!

Boycott will never happen, but I like the concept OP. 

PickleWater #20 Posted Sep 26 2018 - 07:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21329 battles

View PostBabA_YA6A, on Sep 21 2018 - 20:11, said:

I feel ya. I'm on a prolonged break. I might come back. I might not come back. It's not up to me. It's up to WoTs.

In the time until I do or do not return, I'm having plenty fun elsewhere.

When I'm not drunkenly trolling on this silly forum, seeing if anything is different,  I'm either working, running and trying to beat my own personal times, plonking away on a novel or dabbling on my S10 AWD LS build. I will eventually have a monster sleeper straight from depths of hell, one way or another.

Does War Gaming want my money? No? That's fine. My feelings aren't hurt. I have plenty of other things to throw coin at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users