Tank 'Camo Rating/Coefficient'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

linoleumz #1 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 10:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10801 battles
I've only recently started caring about this detail since I started riding in a tier 4 scouting tank (M5), so I apologize if this has been brought up before, but from what I understand from the wiki (and that 'WoT Secrets' thread on the EU forums) is that each tank has its own unique 'Camouflage Coefficient' which influences how close the enemy must be in order to spot the tank. Now, previously these values were revealed (not by devs, but by resourceful players if I'm not mistaken) for each tank, but these values have allegedly been 'readjusted' since 6.4 and the current values are yet unknown. My biggest question is this: Why must these ratings be kept hidden? For such a crucial characteristic to be concealed from the players is beyond my comprehension, you might as well hide View Range and Radio Range while you're at it, what difference would it make? If anyone has a better understanding of this situation, any comments would be greatly appreciated :Smile_honoring: .

For those who may not be aware of what I'm talking about, the explanation in the wiki can be found here.
You can see the previous Camo Coefficients at http://www.wotdb.info/, just click on the tank than click the 'More Info' tab (it's called "Invisibility Factor").

As an example, the A-20 had a 'still' Invisibility Factor of 0.44 (1.0 being the best) while the M5 Stuart had 0.15 (equal to the M3 Lee...). I would really like to know how they 'readjusted' some of these >.>'

Panther2NZ #2 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 10:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10123 battles
meh camo is absolutely useless in this current state of the game.... first they need to fix how tanks are sighted then work on how camo actually works.

dolph #3 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 12:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10965 battles

View PostPanther2NZ, on Sep 12 2011 - 10:42, said:

meh camo is absolutely useless in this current state of the game.... first they need to fix how tanks are sighted then work on how camo actually works.

Uhh, this is why people complain of the sighting system. If the camo value of the tank and the crew outweigh your sighting capability, then the tank disappears; even if the tank is only a few hundred meters in front of you.

I too am wondering why the camo values are kept secret, or aren't divulged publicly without demand.

Sickocrow #4 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 12:43

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 3230 battles
You can see what the old values used to be in the database. HERE.  Right click on the tank and look at the 'more info' section.

Generally the taller a tank is the lesser it's camo will be.  Big wide/tall German tanks seem to suffer the worst of it.  Keep in mind those values are outdated but it gives you an idea of how they work it.

Rake #5 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 13:19

Major

• Players
  • 36220 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View Postlinoleumz, on Sep 12 2011 - 10:13, said:

I've only recently started caring about this detail since I started riding in a tier 4 scouting tank (M5), so I apologize if this has been brought up before, but from what I understand from the wiki (and that 'WoT Secrets' thread on the EU forums) is that each tank has its own unique 'Camouflage Coefficient' which influences how close the enemy must be in order to spot the tank. Now, previously these values were revealed (not by devs, but by resourceful players if I'm not mistaken) for each tank, but these values have allegedly been 'readjusted' since 6.4 and the current values are yet unknown. My biggest question is this: Why must these ratings be kept hidden? For such a crucial characteristic to be concealed from the players is beyond my comprehension, you might as well hide View Range and Radio Range while you're at it, what difference would it make? If anyone has a better understanding of this situation, any comments would be greatly appreciated :Smile_honoring: .

For those who may not be aware of what I'm talking about, the explanation in the wiki can be found here.
You can see the previous Camo Coefficients at http://www.wotdb.info/, just click on the tank than click the 'More Info' tab (it's called "Invisibility Factor").

As an example, the A-20 had a 'still' Invisibility Factor of 0.44 (1.0 being the best) while the M5 Stuart had 0.15 (equal to the M3 Lee...). I would really like to know how they 'readjusted' some of these >.>'
You must have played the game long enough to realize they don't give a damn about the players.

Momaw #6 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 18:37

Major

• Players
  • 1787 battles
They also don't publish hitpoint totals for subsystems, or the "passability" of different vehicles (how much they are affected by different terrain and by turning and stuff). You would think that such information would be essential to making an informed decision about which vehicle to use. My personal opinion is that they don't give us this information so that they can make ninja "balance" adjustments without anybody raising a fuss.  Your tank might feel more sluggish or slightly more prone to catching on fire after a patch, but since you have no access to those stats how can you prove it?

andyraptor #7 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 18:50

Captain

• Players
  • 30402 battles
  • [RUNE] RUNE
My theory, and I stress MY, is that by keeping this info hidden means that you can make stealth tweaks to game balancing as the data becomes available.

That's all... as annoying as it may be, if you are really into studying to such depth, individual vehicle/tank pros and cons :)

Prav #8 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 18:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11984 battles

View PostMomaw, on Sep 12 2011 - 18:37, said:

You would think that such information would be essential to making an informed decision about which vehicle to use. My personal opinion is that they don't give us this information so that they can make ninja "balance" adjustments without anybody raising a fuss.

They don't do this. Or at least I haven't found one yet, and I've checked pretty thoroughly.

ethics_gradient #9 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 18:57

Captain

• Players
  • 21316 battles
  • [VPG] VPG
My Ferd has an "Allemange Special Just for YOU",  "reverse" cammo factor.  

It sports kewl neon lights that make it glow underneath at night -- usually neon purple, sometimes neon green. The special effect makes it look like it's going faster than it really is!

It also has a "posi-arty attraction control" (PAAC) mandatory "factory option". It ensures that once the neon lights are on and I'm spotted, the PAAC draws all arty shells on the battlefield (including, sometimes, those fired by your own teammate) to your lap.  This is in case the neon lights did attract enough attention to you, the PAAC lets you know right away that you are loved by all.

No, I'm not bitter at all . . . why do you ask?

andyraptor #10 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 19:00

Captain

• Players
  • 30402 battles
  • [RUNE] RUNE

View Postethics_gradient, on Sep 12 2011 - 18:57, said:

My Ferd has an "Allemange Special Just for YOU",  "reverse" cammo factor.  

It sports kewl neon lights that make it glow underneath at night -- usually neon purple, sometimes neon green. The special effect makes it look like it's going faster than it really is!

It also has a "posi-arty attraction control" (PAAC) mandatory "factory option". It ensures that once the neon lights are on and I'm spotted, the PAAC draws all arty shells on the battlefield (including, sometimes, those fired by your own teammate) to your lap.  This is in case the neon lights did attract enough attention to you, the PAAC lets you know right away that you are loved by all.

No, I'm not bitter at all . . . why do you ask?

You got a on/off switch fitted ?    LMAO  :)

Jovialmadness #11 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 19:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18600 battles
  • [VPG-S] VPG-S

View PostPanther2NZ, on Sep 12 2011 - 10:42, said:

No offense panther but this statement is why people complain about spotting :Smile-hiding:

Armor #12 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 19:04

Captain

• Players
  • 41449 battles
  • [BADGR] BADGR
I made a thread on this a week or two back. It's very important to know... but the bottom line is that they don't want us knowing.

The camo value difference between nations were very... interesting...

DannyT251 #13 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 19:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19257 battles
http://t.qkme.me/353aoa.jpg

Garbad #14 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 20:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23809 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
They showed these in beta, but people complained that russian were superior in every hidden value. Not showing them makes the game look less biased against german.

KommandoExtreme #15 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 21:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3246 battles
Here guys buy this camo net that is a percentage based bonus to your camo rating...  but we're not gonna tell you the camo rating so you can make an informed decision.... just trust us

Jovialmadness #16 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 21:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18600 battles
  • [VPG-S] VPG-S

View PostGarbad, on Sep 12 2011 - 20:58, said:

They showed these in beta, but people complained that russian were superior in every hidden value. Not showing them makes the game look less biased against german.

Yep, if I remember correctly the t-54, while moving ffs, originally had a better camo rating than a stationary jadgpanther if my memory serves....

Garbad #17 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 21:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23809 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostJovialmadness, on Sep 12 2011 - 21:14, said:

Yep, if I remember correctly the t-54, while moving ffs, originally had a better camo rating than a stationary jadgpanther if my memory serves....
It was better than that. The IS-7 moving in the open had better camo than a JdgTiger sitting still in a bush.

LightStriker #18 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 22:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2608 battles
  • [UBI] UBI
Hell, so many value are messed up. If they would display them, they would have to explain them.

A crew member of a T25AT sneezes and is automaticly seen by the whole universe.
While I litteraly bumped on a KV-3 that was hidden behind a bush.

owlgator #19 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 22:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11299 battles
Question: Do the hydraulics on my T-29 increase or decrease camo coefficient?

LightStriker #20 Posted Sep 12 2011 - 23:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2608 battles
  • [UBI] UBI

View Postowlgator, on Sep 12 2011 - 22:50, said:

Question: Do the hydraulics on my T-29 increase or decrease camo coefficient?
Answer: Nobody freaking know.