Light tanks scouting - total joke in today's game

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

Its_Not_Fun #1 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 06:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28983 battles
  • [H8WOT] H8WOT
Scouting in today's game is a joke.  I need 7k combined, 4 assisted kills, and a win for LT-15 in the 3rd campaign.  It is never going to happen.  Never.  Tier 8 and 9 lights, so my damage is 3k MAX on a great day.  Still need another 4k assist and 4 assisted kills and a win.  It won't happen.  The percentage of teammates that die like idiots plus the number of them who hide and contribute nothing literally makes this a 1 in 500 chance to achieve.   And the map selection makes it even worse.   I would guess that at least half of them don't even have a meaningful bush to hide in.  And with each passing game in a light, expect the WN8 to keep on dropping since spotting damage means nothing.  Really disheartening.  Have you noticed how many high tier games don't even have a scout?  Guys are sick of trying

Edited by Its_Not_Fun, Sep 25 2018 - 07:00.

Byracki #2 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 07:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29774 battles

I just spotted for 11.8k in a bat-chat..... that means a light tank can do it too....

Staz211 #3 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 07:07

Major

• Players
  • 27045 battles

I just recently pulled an 8.3k spotting game in my 1357. 

I just watched a friendly Leo 1 pull over 7k spotting yesterday. Also watched a friendly EVEN 90 pull over 6.7k spotting.

I know the current meta and map rotation aren't great for scouting, but somehow I've actually found assistance damage to be easier to come by recently. Don't give up. 

Its_Not_Fun #4 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 07:10

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28983 battles
  • [H8WOT] H8WOT

View PostByracki, on Sep 25 2018 - 07:03, said:

I just spotted for 11.8k in a bat-chat..... that means a light tank can do it too....

So you got your 1 in 500

kapri25 #5 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 07:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13695 battles
  • [13A] 13A
It happened purely by accident for me for the LT-15 stug 4 campaign. I got exactly 1.5k ish damage and 1.5k ish spotting. The trick though was doing it during a skirmish. Love how I can complete missions through that. 

Gurdy2383 #6 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 08:28

Captain

• Players
  • 49679 battles
They've added better scouting opportunities to a large number of maps in addition to the old standby's Malinovka, or Prokhorovka. Still, those are your best chances.

mlinke #7 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 09:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49890 battles
I get 7k in my meds. Never in light tanks. Did 9 k for that 3rd campain a year ago. Not with honors. Now it is impossible. Why? Because they are introducing garbage armored cars.

kapri25 #8 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 10:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13695 battles
  • [13A] 13A

View Postmlinke, on Sep 25 2018 - 03:32, said:

I get 7k in my meds. Never in light tanks. Did 9 k for that 3rd campain a year ago. Not with honors. Now it is impossible. Why? Because they are introducing garbage armored cars.

The funny (sad maybe) thing is that they say the armored cars will be light tanks. They are not making a new class. 

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #9 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 13:00

Major

• Players
  • 77709 battles

No offence, but the problem is not with the game mechanics or your team mates. 7K combined is not difficult for me to achieve in my tier 8 lights. Sure, there is definitely map, luck and team mate dependency, but I would have at least one game every day that would meet that goal.

The trick is knowing how to play your light tank, knowing how to equip it, and knowing where to go and at what times to go there on each map. In other words, it's a skill that can be learnt. You might want to look at some of 4tankers you tube videos on lights.

4TheBox #10 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 13:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27763 battles

Patiently wait for the right moment. You will need:

- A map with excellent camo bush

- Three of tier 9 or 10 artys

- Rapid firing or HESH firing tier 9 or 10 TD behind you

Benjeeh_CA #11 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30108 battles
  • [DBLTP] DBLTP

View Postmlinke, on Sep 25 2018 - 00:32, said:

Except  the armoured cars currently have abysmal veie range

Dead_Zombie #12 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:22

Major

• Players
  • 38884 battles
  • [SUX] SUX

View PostByracki, on Sep 25 2018 - 00:03, said:

MT seem to have better vision then LT tanks in todays game. Plus medium tanks can take a hit or 2 without fear of being wrecked in a flash like LT tanks do.

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #13 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13053 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

I dusted off and took out a tier 6 light tank for about 80 matches over the last few days.  I did this primarily for missions.  I am relatively pleased with my performance.  I did well for spotting damage (my main goal) and even did well WN8 wise for damage....for me anyway :)  However...

Ohhhhh boy.

Observations:

- Be prepared for insults and abuse.  People just can't help telling you that you suck at light tanking...but when you look at their stats they rarely light tank.  If you don't like the way I light tank...YOU frakken go out in a light tank.

- Unless you die in the first minute, you obviously are an idiot light tanker.

- If you die in the first minute, you are an idiot light tanker.

- The idea...or even knowledge...of passive scouting is dead and/or looked at extremely unfavorably.

- Just as an experiment (who knows...maybe they are right?) I tried active scouting for 3 missions.  Lit up many tanks, managed to stay alive for awhile...very little spotting damage.  Much less than usual.  So even if you do what those fools want, they can't do anything with it.

- I used to have a temper problem...well, ok still do...but was under somewhat good control.  I haven't shot a friendly in MONTHS...like >6!  I know that doesn't sound like much but for me...   It was working out as well because I hadn't been a victim of friendly fire in awhile as well except for the occasional well intentioned miss that hit me.  That went out the window over last few days.  Several times victim of deliberate friendly fire with appropriate (and I am sure to be flamed) response.

- One game had over 3000 spotting damage and over 1000 damage and had to endure heaps of abuse and friendly fire from 4...FOUR "allies" who were convinced I was an idiot.  I am sure they looked at the stats at the end of the match (which they said they were going to do) and saw what fools they had been [/sarcasm]

Light tanking is not for the weak or the people with anger management issues!

Edited by Numerius_Titurius_Sophus, Sep 25 2018 - 14:29.

Vulcan_Spectre #14 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:31

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1597 battles
  • [ACE1] ACE1
in my chaffee i usally end up being a TD wit alot of spotting range

SwollenOstrich #15 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:33

Captain

• Players
  • 22344 battles

I have a lot of fun scouting. 

However, this mission is quite hard. I finally did it myself with honors just about a week ago (I had done it several time previously, but not with honors (win the game).

Here is the link: http://wotreplays.eu...trich-t-54_ltwt

Approximately 8500 combined damage. After I died I practically begged my team not to blow the win.

It is admittedly quite frustratingly hard, but that is kind of the point of these advanced missions. If everyone could get the reward, it would not be worth anything.

Arrowheadmen #16 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:38

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16266 battles
  • [L_W] L_W

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Sep 25 2018 - 14:26, said:

I dusted off and took out a tier 6 light tank for about 80 matches over the last few days.  I did this primarily for missions.  I am relatively pleased with my performance.  I did well for spotting damage (my main goal) and even did well WN8 wise for damage....for me anyway :)  However...

Ohhhhh boy.

Observations:

- Be prepared for insults and abuse.  People just can't help telling you that you suck at light tanking...but when you look at their stats they rarely light tank.  If you don't like the way I light tank...YOU frakken go out in a light tank.

- Unless you die in the first minute, you obviously are an idiot light tanker.

- If you die in the first minute, you are an idiot light tanker.

- The idea...or even knowledge...of passive scouting is dead and/or looked at extremely unfavorably.

- Just as an experiment (who knows...maybe they are right?) I tried active scouting for 3 missions.  Lit up many tanks, managed to stay alive for awhile...very little spotting damage.  Much less than usual.  So even if you do what those fools want, they can't do anything with it.

- I used to have a temper problem...well, ok still do...but was under somewhat good control.  I haven't shot a friendly in MONTHS...like >6!  I know that doesn't sound like much but for me...   It was working out as well because I hadn't been a victim of friendly fire in awhile as well except for the occasional well intentioned miss that hit me.  That went out the window over last few days.  Several times victim of deliberate friendly fire with appropriate (and I am sure to be flamed) response.

- One game had over 3000 spotting damage and over 1000 damage and had to endure heaps of abuse and friendly fire from 4...FOUR "allies" who were convinced I was an idiot.  I am sure they looked at the stats at the end of the match (which they said they were going to do) and saw what fools they had been [/sarcasm]

Light tanking is not for the weak or the people with anger management issues!

Great post, so much truth in it.

I love all the "little generals" as I call them who try to tell you how to play lights, but yet don't even realize when you are passive spotting.

When playing lights, turn off chat and messaging system and screw them and play how you want, at least that is what I do.

NeatoMan #17 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:41

Major

• Players
  • 26531 battles

I get the most flak from campers.  I refuse to scout for campers.  They can wallow in their own misery and die a slow miserable death in their little corner of the map for all I care.  I'm going to scout for the players who are actually doing something. 

I must say since the change to the new LT MM, I haven't played my LTs much, except in frontlines  Every single one above tier 4 in the german line is a POS now.

AlamoMelt #18 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18976 battles
I did LT15.3 awhile back in a T49 on Malinovka. From what I remember, the most useful choice was to stay alive until the end. I also had a team that was willing to help me once I was getting close, which was awesome. I found the LT missions the easiest to complete, while I struggle with TD and HT ones, so I understand your frustration. I've been trying off and on to get SPG15.3 for over a year at this point.

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #19 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13053 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostArrowheadmen, on Sep 25 2018 - 14:38, said:

Great post, so much truth in it.

I love all the "little generals" as I call them who try to tell you how to play lights, but yet don't even realize when you are passive spotting.

When playing lights, turn off chat and messaging system and screw them and play how you want, at least that is what I do.

Yup.  I love passive scouting.  I still have fond memories of my team rolling over the enemy primarily because of my passive scouting - which you get no credit for in chat as the big boys are all patting each other on the back at how skilled they are getting so much damage ;)  That's ok...Light tanking is the red headed stepchild :)

However, at a certain point of the game i switch and go active when most people are dead.  Up to that point I usually have zero damage.  The damage I get usually comes in the last part of a match.

Lucudus58 #20 Posted Sep 25 2018 - 14:45

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19642 battles

View PostIts_Not_Fun, on Sep 25 2018 - 06:59, said:

Scouting in today's game is a joke.  I need 7k combined, 4 assisted kills, and a win for LT-15 in the 3rd campaign.  It is never going to happen.  Never.  Tier 8 and 9 lights, so my damage is 3k MAX on a great day.  Still need another 4k assist and 4 assisted kills and a win.  It won't happen.  The percentage of teammates that die like idiots plus the number of them who hide and contribute nothing literally makes this a 1 in 500 chance to achieve.   And the map selection makes it even worse.   I would guess that at least half of them don't even have a meaningful bush to hide in.  And with each passing game in a light, expect the WN8 to keep on dropping since spotting damage means nothing.  Really disheartening.  Have you noticed how many high tier games don't even have a scout?  Guys are sick of trying

Allot of the high tier matches do not have scouts and really do not blame allot of ppl from playing light tanks  very often and the ones you see playing them die in the first few seconds or first minute and when they should be one of the last tanks still alive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users