Why does WOT change all it's start values, including which screen to start on ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Kani_Bist #1 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 14:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1950 battles

Hi, got a small problem...... I turn off  WOT, close it out, run my AV and when I go to restart WOT all hell breaks loose. First, I have three screens, all by itself, WOT has decided that it will start on my third screen (which is on a desk across the room). All my controls aree reset back to default, and I get a congrats for my 1000th battle and my 500th win........ EVERY TIME I CLOSE OUT AND RESTART. No other computer program I have ever installed on any computer has ever done this. I uninstall and reinstall..... and it does it again. As soon as SAS runs, WOT makes up it's own new start rules.

Oh and if I disconnect the monitor? It still opens on it and won't display til i turn the third monitor on......

Any suggestions? I'm tired of reinstalling and resetting my game settings every day........ this is just weird. And no i am NOT using the Wargaming installer thing, I only play tanks, don't need that other stuff, and yes, it did the same thing when I DID have the whole wargaming installer center thing.

This is annoying. but more than that.... perplexing.

The_Illusive_Man #2 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 15:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 12744 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
Wot is not compatible with multi monitors. So, when you have more than one, it goofs up. But, which monitor is #1? Im guessing its that third one. As thats what wot is designed to start on. As for your settings getting deleted, thats a you issue. You dont need to run your A/V every time your done playing the game. So stop doing it.

Insanefriend #3 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 16:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 38815 battles

Couple things I can think of, that might be causing the problems.  

Check to make sure you have file write permissions to %appdata%\Wargaming.net\worldoftanks 

That is the folder where all display settings are saved and if you don't have file write permissions, changes you make in game won't be saved.  

Second check to see what your primary monitor is, you can do this in windows 10 by opening the start menu and typing display.  The top option should be, "change display settings", which will tell you what monitor your computer thinks is your primary one.

What anti virus program are you using?  It may be deleting the settings file in the appdata folder I listed above.

Insanefriend #4 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 16:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 38815 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Oct 01 2018 - 08:34, said:

Wot is not compatible with multi monitors. So, when you have more than one, it goofs up. But, which monitor is #1? Im guessing its that third one. As thats what wot is designed to start on. As for your settings getting deleted, thats a you issue. You dont need to run your A/V every time your done playing the game. So stop doing it.

Though you could get it to work with screen spanning (nvidia surround) assuming you have three setup side by side.  Which might be kind of cool to get a pov that large.

Kani_Bist #5 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 17:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1950 battles

View PostInsanefriend, on Oct 01 2018 - 16:49, said:

Though you could get it to work with screen spanning (nvidia surround) assuming you have three setup side by side.  Which might be kind of cool to get a pov that large.

While I have three monitors lol, I use them 1 at a time. Like right now I'm watching the news on 3, typing here on 1 and watching Twitch streams on 2.

Kani_Bist #6 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 17:29

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1950 battles

View PostInsanefriend, on Oct 01 2018 - 16:46, said:

Couple things I can think of, that might be causing the problems.  

Check to make sure you have file write permissions to %appdata%\Wargaming.net\worldoftanks 

That is the folder where all display settings are saved and if you don't have file write permissions, changes you make in game won't be saved.  

Second check to see what your primary monitor is, you can do this in windows 10 by opening the start menu and typing display.  The top option should be, "change display settings", which will tell you what monitor your computer thinks is your primary one.

What anti virus program are you using?  It may be deleting the settings file in the appdata folder I listed above.

My primary monitor is and remains the one in the 1 category lol. Even WOT acknowledges it is on monitor choice 3. This ONLY happens after my Super Anti Spyware (SAS i abbreviated in the first post) runs, so they are related, something is being written in a folder that SAS is deleting is my guess but I don't know what.

App data sounds like a good place to start checking, thanks. I don't know what I'm looking for but I'll poke around and ask more questions as they pop up. I also needs to check my Ccleaner settings.

Is there a weird cookie that WOT puts that maybe CCleaner is deleting?

The_Illusive_Man #7 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 17:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 12744 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View PostKani_Bist, on Oct 01 2018 - 13:29, said:

My primary monitor is and remains the one in the 1 category lol. Even WOT acknowledges it is on monitor choice 3. This ONLY happens after my Super Anti Spyware (SAS i abbreviated in the first post) runs, so they are related, something is being written in a folder that SAS is deleting is my guess but I don't know what.

App data sounds like a good place to start checking, thanks. I don't know what I'm looking for but I'll poke around and ask more questions as they pop up. I also needs to check my Ccleaner settings.

Is there a weird cookie that WOT puts that maybe CCleaner is deleting?

SAS? Maybe try to disable that.. Most anti spyware programs are spyware....

Kani_Bist #8 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 17:45

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1950 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Oct 01 2018 - 15:34, said:

Where do folks get the information for the answers I post? Where did I say I use an AV every time I close the game, and even if I DID, it shouldn't matter. Do you just troll the forums to insult people and tell us how stupid we are? I know this might completely blow your tiny little mind, but monitor number 1 is..... wait for it...... monitor number 1. Even WOT acknowledges that. It sets itself to monitor number three (it says monitor3 when 1 is primary in it's own drop down when i go in to change it) which is...... wait for it..... monitor number 3 in the monitor hierarchy on every program and logic system this computer runs.

Can you just not answer when you have nothing but baseless insults to hurl? I'm here to hear from real people who CAN read and comprehend the written word and can offer useful solutions. Gotta check to see if there is a block troll feature at this forum......

Kani_Bist #9 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 17:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1950 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Oct 01 2018 - 17:37, said:

SAS? Maybe try to disable that.. Most anti spyware programs are spyware....

It's worked with every program I know of for over 10 years and is one of the most widely used tools in the industry. I'll keep it thank you.

The_Illusive_Man #10 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 18:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 12744 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View PostKani_Bist, on Oct 01 2018 - 13:45, said:

Where do folks get the information for the answers I post? Where did I say I use an AV every time I close the game, and even if I DID, it shouldn't matter. Do you just troll the forums to insult people and tell us how stupid we are? I know this might completely blow your tiny little mind, but monitor number 1 is..... wait for it...... monitor number 1. Even WOT acknowledges that. It sets itself to monitor number three (it says monitor3 when 1 is primary in it's own drop down when i go in to change it) which is...... wait for it..... monitor number 3 in the monitor hierarchy on every program and logic system this computer runs.

Can you just not answer when you have nothing but baseless insults to hurl? I'm here to hear from real people who CAN read and comprehend the written word and can offer useful solutions. Gotta check to see if there is a block troll feature at this forum......

I worked in the tech industry. So I know what im talking about. If you think im a troll, then maybe you dont deserve any help. And what I said was not insults, just the truth.

"I turn off  WOT, close it out, run my AV and when I go to restart WOT all hell breaks loose". That makes me think you run it every time. 

As for monitor 1, I can only make assumptions based on experience. Wot generally runs on monitor 1, and if its going to another monitor, then there is something in your PC settings thats messing with it. 

View PostKani_Bist, on Oct 01 2018 - 13:46, said:

It's worked with every program I know of for over 10 years and is one of the most widely used tools in the industry. I'll keep it thank you.

Ok, then I guess you dont want to fix this issue.

Edit: Also, "Widely used" != good. Limewire was widely used by alot of people. But that was spreading virus's....

//cased closed (not a mod)

Edited by The_Illusive_Man, Oct 01 2018 - 18:05.

The_Illusive_Man #11 Posted Oct 01 2018 - 18:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 12744 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View PostInsanefriend, on Oct 01 2018 - 12:49, said:

Yeah, that would be cool. But might break the game....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users