Just a few "for the good of the game" notes from a relative noob.

New players old players

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Capitan_Bombero #1 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 04:27

Private

• -Players-
  • 5390 battles

I just got a two hour suspension for shooting at a "teammate". I deserved it and have no quarrel with the penalty. But, I must say, I felt good about it...still do.

I should explain. This is the umpteenth time some self-styled "expert" has taken it upon himself to push my tank out of my hide and into the line of fire, so that he could have it for himself. Never mind that I had arrived at the spot long before him, and had a longer view range and much better concealment, effectively spotting and covering more than a third of the map. Nope, he decided he and his tank were more worthy, so out i went. Naturally, I took exception to this. I tried to push him back, in case it was a simple mistake, but he used his bigger tank to force me out anyway. Sorry, but that was the last straw. So I shot his tank twice, and off on suspension I went.

I'm getting used to it, especially from a certain section of the WOT population who have a problem with folks of backgrounds not similar to their own. I have been told time and again to "return" to the Latin American server, because I happen to have a Spanish screen name, been called a lot of fairly racist names, and been subjected to a fair amount of atrociously bad Spanish insults. Seriously, if you want to insult me in Spanish, at least google the correct words and spellings. Better yet, stop looking down on people who are able to speak two languages. You should try it sometime. You probably shouldn't assume that a foreign language name means I don't speak English. 

I live in the mid-Atlantic United States, went to an Ivy League school and probably speak better English than you do. I was frigging born here, as were my parents.  Even WOT assigns me frequently to the LATAM servers, despite the huge lag it would cause me to use it, I assume because the program picks up on the Spanish screen name.  That is frustrating, but I assume an accident.  

But the rudeness of a certain section of WOT users is neither an accident nor acceptable. 

I don't want to blame it all on racism, that is part of it, but there is also a certain culture that seems to have grown within the game.  There is a large portion of players that have grown so accustomed to playing the game in a very rigid and predictable way that they are very intolerant of those who have different ideas.  The biggest problem with that is of course the entirely predictable way the battles are fought. Every body does exactly the same thing on a particular map that they did the last 2000 times they played it.  That, to me, is boring. The roles of each tank are clearly, in their minds, rigidly defined. Thus, if I take a tank that is designated as a light tank, and don't commit scouting suicide to enable the boys in the back to get their points at my expense, I am likely to take a bunch of crap from them, usually right after they get killed doing something stupid. Never mind that I have half the map spotted, never mind that my kills, damage, and most importantly, my assist points are generally twice that of the complainers.

The really good players don't seem to worry too much about it.

We have a saying in my business about self styled experts: "Do you have 20 years experience or 1 years experience twenty times?" That seems to apply here. When folks with 20,000 battles (My god, get a life!) start telling everybody else how badly they are playing, swearing at and insulting their teammates, usually from the dead man list, they really ought to think about a little self examination. This is a game and it is supposed to be fun. If you want us "noobs" to get better at it, then be helpful, not an [edited]. My blacklist is getting too long.

Okay, rant is over, for now... 

____UwU____ #2 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 04:36

Captain

• -Players-
  • 19617 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

View PostCapitan_Bombero, on Oct 02 2018 - 19:27, said:

I just got a two hour suspension for shooting at a "teammate". I deserved it and have no quarrel with the penalty. But, I must say, I felt good about it...still do.

I should explain. This is the umpteenth time some self-styled "expert" has taken it upon himself to push my tank out of my hide and into the line of fire, so that he could have it for himself. Never mind that I had arrived at the spot long before him, and had a longer view range and much better concealment, effectively spotting and covering more than a third of the map. Nope, he decided he and his tank were more worthy, so out i went. Naturally, I took exception to this. I tried to push him back, in case it was a simple mistake, but he used his bigger tank to force me out anyway. Sorry, but that was the last straw. So I shot his tank twice, and off on suspension I went.

I'm getting used to it, especially from a certain section of the WOT population who have a problem with folks of backgrounds not similar to their own. I have been told time and again to "return" to the Latin American server, because I happen to have a Spanish screen name, been called a lot of fairly racist names, and been subjected to a fair amount of atrociously bad Spanish insults. Seriously, if you want to insult me in Spanish, at least google the correct words and spellings. Better yet, stop looking down on people who are able to speak two languages. You should try it sometime. You probably shouldn't assume that a foreign language name means I don't speak English. 

I live in the mid-Atlantic United States, went to an Ivy League school and probably speak better English than you do. I was frigging born here, as were my parents.  Even WOT assigns me frequently to the LATAM servers, despite the huge lag it would cause me to use it, I assume because the program picks up on the Spanish screen name.  That is frustrating, but I assume an accident.  

But the rudeness of a certain section of WOT users is neither an accident nor acceptable. 

I don't want to blame it all on racism, that is part of it, but there is also a certain culture that seems to have grown within the game.  There is a large portion of players that have grown so accustomed to playing the game in a very rigid and predictable way that they are very intolerant of those who have different ideas.  The biggest problem with that is of course the entirely predictable way the battles are fought. Every body does exactly the same thing on a particular map that they did the last 2000 times they played it.  That, to me, is boring. The roles of each tank are clearly, in their minds, rigidly defined. Thus, if I take a tank that is designated as a light tank, and don't commit scouting suicide to enable the boys in the back to get their points at my expense, I am likely to take a bunch of crap from them, usually right after they get killed doing something stupid. Never mind that I have half the map spotted, never mind that my kills, damage, and most importantly, my assist points are generally twice that of the complainers.

The really good players don't seem to worry too much about it.

We have a saying in my business about self styled experts: "Do you have 20 years experience or 1 years experience twenty times?" That seems to apply here. When folks with 20,000 battles (My god, get a life!) start telling everybody else how badly they are playing, swearing at and insulting their teammates, usually from the dead man list, they really ought to think about a little self examination. This is a game and it is supposed to be fun. If you want us "noobs" to get better at it, then be helpful, not an [edited]. My blacklist is getting too long.

Okay, rant is over, for now... 

I'd say "you should just ignore it" but even I get annoyed sometimes by the slander and tk's and other things. However you should try to ignore it regardless of how terrible that player is acting. I may not be the best messenger because I'm basically going through the same issues as you, but should you play for your personal enjoyment, you should have a good time regardless of whether or not, you're being bullied by bigger tanks on your team who think they are the best and always should the superior positions.

Honestly what I'm saying isn't really helpful, but I'm stating the obvious.

Insanefriend #3 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 04:55

Captain

• Players
  • 45359 battles
If he wanted that bush so badly let him have it, and go else where.  Don't feed the troll players and give them the satisfaction.  Everyone gets auto dropped on Latam it has nothing to do with the name, it just picks the lowest population server regardless of ping.

Edited by Insanefriend, Oct 03 2018 - 04:57.

heavymetal1967 #4 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 05:21

Major

• Players
  • 71502 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

LatAm server is just trying to populate it.  Folks get put there even though it's significantly worse ping than Central and regardless of name/handle.

Support takes tickets for physics abuse.  Next time send in a replay so they get spanked not you.

Pointy_End #5 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 05:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 10107 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD
Good rant. Seriously.

I had just about the same thing happen six months ago. Got pushed out of a bush, along with a rude comment.  Long story short, lost my temper, got my two hour ban and learned my lesson.

There is no denying this game community can be toxic. I just try to ignore it for the most part because I enjoy the game. You can also try turning off chat.
I make it a point to PM someone after the game with a compliment if they did really well. Just my small attempt to detoxify things.

I think as Insanefriend says, your name probably isn’t the reason you’re getting sent to the LATAM server. Happens to lots of people, myself included.

scHnuuudle_bop #6 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 05:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 20660 battles

disable your chat, I have seen the same treatment leveled at other spanish sounding names. Sad state of affairs.

Nothing upsets these trolls more than ignoring them.

docroberts #7 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 06:21

Captain

• Players
  • 19389 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR
On the internet ppl blow off their mouth more than they think just because there isn't a face they have to look at when they are done . Try not to let it bother you and carry on . This game used to be much , much worse than it is now .. But once you react to everything then they win and you lose . So Happy Hunting and Good Luck on your next go-around . 

Fulcrous_really_heckin #8 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 06:31

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 32447 battles
  • [SUX] SUX

My blacklist is getting too long.

Fortunately there is a mod for that.

cloudwalkr #9 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 07:39

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56092 battles

Yeah, I'm not big on racism either.  It insults the person using racial slurs more than the one being yelled at in my opinion, but in all honestly...it's not something I have to deal with so I probably have a very naive point of view on it.

I get a kick out of people who think Spanish speaking people are somehow worse at the game than others.  I know a little Spanish and learning a second language is not easy, especially if you try to learn it later in life.  People who learn multiple languages usually have higher problem solving abilities and less anger problems.   They're typically far more tolerant to others opinions as well.

I also find it fairly hilarious how the ones hurling racial insults usually can't do it in English, much less a second language like Spanish.

As to what you said about stale play, well...a large part of that is WG fault for being so crap at producing maps in any kind of timely fashion.  It's been a hole they've been digging for a while and still don't seem to be kicking it into "high map production" gear in my opinion.  The maps they do make tend to lead to predictable choke points or lanes and with the arty mechanic most of the open ground on maps is useless, so that forces people into those choke points and lanes even more. 

WG are at fault more than the players at this point in my opinion in terms of stale play and people being brainwashed into playing the same way every time the get a map again.

GG's bud, try not to let the racist morons get to you. 

dunniteowl #10 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 07:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 30215 battles

I am one of those players that likes to get Battle Buddies.  I don't shoot my team mates on purpose, though with a couple of rare exceptions.  I am fully aware that I am responsible for how I choose to react.  I will accept my penalty if it comes to that.

That said, I work very hard at not harming my team mates, even the total Richards out there.

Now THAT said, the other night some OI-Exp on our team on Airfield decided near the end of the game to try to get me to HE myself to death against his tank.  I was aiming in at enemy units (I had 3 kills and was going for 4) and suddenly my aim is all over the place.  I shift out (Playing a Bishop SPG) and here's the OI-Exp up against me and pushing me repeatedly.  So I back away to get another shot at the Red Team and he comes right for me and pushes me from the front.  I back away again and am thinking, "Does this guy KNOW that, right now, I'm CARRYING the team?"  I back off again and we lose a unit to the guy I was going to pop (and I wasn't going to miss) and stil he's doing this.

Okay.  I'm not mad, we have four other units that can get rid of the last two -- I hope, because sometimes things change rapidly when your team thinks it's 'in the bag' -- like this OI-Exp, for instance.  Suddenly he's not a team player, he's a griefer.  Then again, he was full health and had no kills, so... maybe he wasn't that much help to begin with, I don't know.  

What I DO KNOW is that he clearly intended for me to shoot him instead when I fired.  So I backed up again and this time let fly at his nice, flat Side.  Bam! 165 HP down on OI-Exp.  I back away again and give him time to think it over.  He comes at me again.  BAM, 253 HPs scored on the turret.  I back up again and get ready for another round.  He does come at me and the only thing that prevented him losing at least another 150 HP was the game ended.

I sent him this message after battle:

Wow, that was fun!  I got the impression you wanted me to shoot you, with all that blocking.  So I hope you enjoyed it, it was worth every credit,  You do realize I was carrying your sorry butt before you kept pushing me, right?  Have a nice day!   (cost me 14,430 credits).

I'm not one to 'game' the system.  I am GLAD, however, that I do like to avoid team damage for those rare instances where I just can't seem to get it across to someone that what they're doing isn't cool.

One other time I was taken out with a one shot just after leaving cap spawn.

And lastly, I was pinned against the map edge by another OI-Exp in my Jg Pz IV, except that the way he pinned me had my gun against his side skirt.  I fired gold to make sure I penned.  I hit him seven times.  He died.

I got about an hour's worth of being "blue" to my screen name, though nothing more.

I'm glad I don't like shooting my team mates or harming them.  I am proud of it.  I'm not proud of shooting those guys, either, though feel perfectly fine with having done so.  

I recommend not shooting the Green Tanks, though I will admit, calm and cool as I am, there are occasions when enough is simply that -- enough.  Most times, I just report and move on.  I save my real ire for real life stuff.  Even the OI-Exp in my 'cool story' wasn't enough to make me mad.  I just realized -- he really does want me to shoot him.

With all the complaints on these forums about folks not getting what they want out of the game, I just figured this guy should get what he wants.

Does that make me a bad person?

OvO

_Tsavo_ #11 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 11:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 45424 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

There's jerks by the truckload here, unfortunately.   As for the feller who pushed you out,  save the replay and fire it off to support under Physics Abuse.   The dude doing the abuse gets whacked with the ban hammer.   While it sucks that you got banned,  the treamkill system isn't aware of causes for shooting allies.  

As far as gripes in game,  it happens.  I've given some guys a verbal drubbing for doing dumb moves in game,  it can be frustrating  to watch an ally feed the enemy.   Don't let that bother you,  though.   Mistakes happen. 

Hopefully  you'll have less and less encounters like those and more and more fun matches and enjoyment. 

Good luck

ColonelShakes #12 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 13:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15901 battles
  • [CDN] CDN

Everytime this happens I immediately abandon the flank , depriving them of vision.  I switch flanks ( light tanks are adept at this ) no matter what is going on.  It becomes a ' farming ' match, I no longer try to win the game.  

I do not shoot them.  Problem solved.

BonnieKitty #13 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 13:13

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11724 battles
We had a loudmouth in a GW Panther last night on Fisherman's Bay. Swearing at everyone, complaining about me in my M6 being 'out of position' in the west. He took two shots at me, since, hey, what else was there to do, and landed one. I decided then to flex east, and my path took me right towards him. Seems he wasn't as brave then and ran away. Right into enemy fire. Hah hah. Thanks red! I wasn't planning on shooting him, though a little scare wasn't far from my mind.

ThePigSheFlies #14 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 14:33

Major

• Players
  • 73038 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

while I don't condone any of the behavior you describe, statistically speaking, you are not getting the spots, or the assistance that you think you're getting, and if I had to guess, if you're getting pushed out of a bush you are probably "back line spotting" which would explain your typical output.

but then, according to you, my battle count means I don't have a life... and/or I must have one year experience 60 times...

regardless here's my advice:

1. if the player base triggers you, quit now.  you cannot control what 29 other people are going to do in your match
  2. if the player base's actions only sometimes trigger you, then take action to mitigate that.  if it means turning chat off do so.  if it means you're getting pushed out of the same bushes "umpteen times" then give up that bush, or find a different one in the first place.  else.  see #1

for what it's worth, I've been griefed more times in this game than your current battle count...  but that's a story for a different time.  off to drag my tablet downstairs, and join a webex meeting while I fire up the dreadmill.

Arrowheadmen #15 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 15:13

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22127 battles
  • [XCAL] XCAL
Turn off chat so you don't have to hear all the "little generals" telling you what you are doing wrong and what you should be doing. Play how you want to play, if the little generals don't like it, they can kiss your [edited].

Capitan_Bombero #16 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 16:10

Private

• -Players-
  • 5390 battles
So after my little rant yesterday, today the same player rammed me persistently twice in one game, for which he got a complaint and blacklisting (Like those matter), then two games later appeared on my team again, rammed me, pinned me against a wall, then flipped me, oddly while I was actually in the midst of spotting a bunch of tanks for my team. Don't want to make waves here, but this kind of thing is becoming rampant, and those who condone it, or in this case, make excuses for it, are a significant part o​f the problem.  Whether you call it "Back line spotting"  or simply smart play, it makes no difference. The point is, as Patton said, "No poor bast*rd ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bast*rds die for their country."  I get killed enough spotting and shooting from a good vantage point, not in the back as you imply. Running around as fast as I can gets lots of spots, but few actually shoot at those spots, so I wind up dead for nothing. Sorry, if that is what you expect from a light tank, you will be disappointed in me. As for "triggered", which implies a weakness,  you Sir, have a lot of nerve. Bad behavior is bad behavior, and I choose to say something rather than give in to the idiocy. Perhaps you should too.

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Oct 03 2018 - 14:33, said:

while I don't condone any of the behavior you describe, statistically speaking, you are not getting the spots, or the assistance that you think you're getting, and if I had to guess, if you're getting pushed out of a bush you are probably "back line spotting" which would explain your typical output.

but then, according to you, my battle count means I don't have a life... and/or I must have one year experience 60 times...

regardless here's my advice:

1. if the player base triggers you, quit now.  you cannot control what 29 other people are going to do in your match [You are kidding, right?]
  2. if the player base's actions only sometimes trigger you, then take action to mitigate that.  if it means turning chat off do so.  if it means you're getting pushed out of the same bushes "umpteen times" then give up that bush, or find a different one in the first place.  else.  see #1

for what it's worth, I've been griefed more times in this game than your current battle count...  but that's a story for a different time.  off to drag my tablet downstairs, and join a webex meeting while I fire up the dreadmill.

f the problem.

ThePigSheFlies #17 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 20:15

Major

• Players
  • 73038 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostCapitan_Bombero, on Oct 03 2018 - 10:10, said:

So after my little rant yesterday, today the same player rammed me persistently twice in one game, for which he got a complaint and blacklisting (Like those matter), then two games later appeared on my team again, rammed me, pinned me against a wall, then flipped me, oddly while I was actually in the midst of spotting a bunch of tanks for my team. Don't want to make waves here, but this kind of thing is becoming rampant, and those who condone it, or in this case, make excuses for it, are a significant part o​f the problem.  Whether you call it "Back line spotting"  or simply smart play, it makes no difference. The point is, as Patton said, "No poor bast*rd ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bast*rds die for their country."  I get killed enough spotting and shooting from a good vantage point, not in the back as you imply. Running around as fast as I can gets lots of spots, but few actually shoot at those spots, so I wind up dead for nothing. Sorry, if that is what you expect from a light tank, you will be disappointed in me. As for "triggered", which implies a weakness,  you Sir, have a lot of nerve. Bad behavior is bad behavior, and I choose to say something rather than give in to the idiocy. Perhaps you should too.

f the problem.

glad you could completely miss the point.  this isn't a war.  patton's quotes mean nothing.  this game is basically a chess match, and position matters over everything.  the key that you're missing is that static positions are mostly meaningless...  instead of fixating on the bush you had or wanted, or fixating on the fact that someone is bullying you up against a wall, take a look at the map and find where else you can be of use...

if you are getting pushed out of the same bush for the "umpteenth" time, then find a different bush.  if you stick around in that area, triggered by someone griefing you, you have quite literally let them win the grief game over you, and you're not doing anything for your own entertainment or to help the team win in that scenario either.

regardless, not really sure where you think I condone, or make excuses for the behavior, I in fact explicitly stated that I don't.  however, what I offered up are two options for how you can deal with it.  because all of the posting here isn't going to do a danged thing, and to be brutally honest if you spend all of your time writing tickets to support for physics abuse, well then you're not playing anyway, so you've effectively adopted the first option I proposed...

and no, I was not kidding.  if you're easily triggered, then online games aren't meant for you...

oh, and "back line spotting" where I'm guessing TDs are probably set up is rarely smart.  but feel free to ignore that advice, I'm not very good at LT game play...  I'm just extraordinarily lucky because I'm SerB's biggest fan...

Nunya_000 #18 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 20:20

Major

• Players
  • 21138 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

Naturally, I took exception to this. I tried to push him back, in case it was a simple mistake, but he used his bigger tank to force me out anyway. Sorry, but that was the last straw. So I shot his tank twice, and off on suspension I went.

There goes your chance to be a Supreme Court nominee.

BlinkingDuck #19 Posted Oct 03 2018 - 22:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 409 battles
As a wise man once said - sometimes people need killin.

Imspotting #20 Posted Mar 20 2019 - 03:35

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 31932 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

I must admit i do occasionally rage and insult people in game for doing stupid things (far more often for not doing obvious things) but never would i even consider dipping so low as to insult some1 becasue of their background/nationality etc.

I guess I still have too much self respect for that. (or maybe just a little of brains left to know that there must be thousands of players form said background/Nationality with far greater WOT skills than i possess).

I find there are two different groups of chat abusers- the better players that rage sometimes more often than not for a legitimate grievance though the raging is almost never helpful. (I have had players chat me after game innocently asking me what i thought they are doing wrong and though i behave far more "adultlike" in the garage, the credit for anything useful coming from these chats belong mostly to the other guy)

The clueless ragers who very often are raging against player because they simply dont have the skills to understand what they are doing. they are almost always no better than those they rage against and their behavior is immature to say the least. The Spanish/brazil Bashers belong almost exclusively tot his group. So just ignore them and feel a bit sorry for them, or if that's just too hard sometimes turn on XVM and get the solace of seeing a 44% player raging at you for being a "noob latino" who should play on latam. I guess he believes you are the one holding him down to 44%....

Also tagged with New players, old players

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users