Some good news for South Africans

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Inzane007 #1 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 08:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21158 battles
  • [101RM] 101RM

A bit of Good news for us SA folk on the NA Server!

Angola Cable has just put up their new fibre link to South America live. Now we don't have to go through Europe to get to North America!

What this means for us on the NA server: 

Our latency will essentially get cut in half. We can expect a ping of 160-180ms instead of 350+ms. This means we will have similar ping to the EU server

When will we able notice the difference?

This will completely depend on our ISP's, it all depends on how negotiations go with Angola Cables. We will most likely start seeing ISP's start rerouting their traffic through there in about 2 months. 

On a side note - Rant:

WHAT THE HELL WG??????? It took a 3rd world country quicker to lay a new undersea cable from Africa to America than it took you guys to transfer accounts from NA to EU (which you guys still have not done as promised over a year ago). Absolutely pathetic!!! Shame on you guys. Also remind me to scrape WG off the underside of my shoe, I might of stepped on it while walking my dog. :angry:

kebab6597 #2 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 09:06

Major

• Players
  • 58505 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Congratulations on the new fibre connections that should help the good folks from SA a lot

Your other point about how long it has taken WG to do the server transfers to the EU server they promised back in 2013/14 then again in 2017 is absolutely shameful that WG still have not implemented those transfers to the EU infact they have never made any kind of statements about the progress of their plans for the transfers yet people from Africa and other areas of the world keep getting sent to the NA server as their local server when creating accounts

On a side note I,am on a 1.5 meg connection from the UK which absolutely sucks and would dearly love to transfer my NA account which I have invested heavily in since BETA to the EU server where my ping would be a quarter of what it is here    

aminek #3 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 10:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29652 battles
welp, from someone living in north Africa i hoped that the news would hit on us, well nope lmbo. However congratulations on you guys getting the fibre that should help hellalot to play better, i get a ping of 150-200 to US center which is infact not too bad (you get used to it) but in EU, i would be getting 80 or less, so i admit it would've been such a good opportunity if they open account transfer but hey, can't win them all right?

LeaveIT2Beaver #4 Posted Oct 04 2018 - 17:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 37417 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

One of the best thread cleaning jobs I have EVER seen! +10 !

Anyway - Glad for you guys !!!!

trapsuutjies #5 Posted Nov 27 2018 - 09:06

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 22671 battles
  • [BOSS-] BOSS-

View PostInzane007, on Oct 04 2018 - 09:44, said:

On a side note - Rant:

WHAT THE HELL WG??????? It took a 3rd world country quicker to lay a new undersea cable from Africa to America than it took you guys to transfer accounts from NA to EU (which you guys still have not done as promised over a year ago). Absolutely pathetic!!! Shame on you guys. Also remind me to scrape WG off the underside of my shoe, I might of stepped on it while walking my dog. :angry:

Eloquently stated. WGNA has lied too many times for me to get my hopes up now - the only reason I ever log in, is to ensure I don't miss the transfer event IF it happens, because knowing WGNA they're going to have a 7 hour window, on a Friday night, on a dark web IP you can only access by typing your user name backwards on a broken cyrillic keyboard - and only send us notifications afterwards.

I just tested and the order of server latency from good to bad is still EU, RU, NA, Asia, China (could not get a hold of Korea at all) so the Angola cable isn't being used by my ISP yet. 

On a positive note, I can't find the banner on WGEU misleading people to rather connect to NA. So they're not ACTIVELY misleading people any more. Nice.

Happy tanking!

H3RM #6 Posted Nov 27 2018 - 09:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16045 battles

View Posttrapsuutjies, on Nov 27 2018 - 09:06, said:

I can't find the banner on WGEU misleading people to rather connect to NA. So they're not ACTIVELY misleading people any more. Nice.

Wow! At least they did it. But it took them the best part of a decade to fix something as stupid as that. To do something slightly more complicated like actually transferring the accounts that ended up on their server because of their own bloody insistence, to the correct region, would probably take a century. Oh, and even if they do transfer the accounts, what good does it do. I don't want 2 EU accounts. I want them merged to be of any use. Actually I just want my farking premium tanks and my crews.

SnowPanzer #7 Posted Nov 28 2018 - 20:10

Major

• Players
  • 44835 battles

Hi SnowPanzer,

Thank you for contacting Wargaming Support/NA

We appreciate you raising the concern to us,  As a fellow player I do get your point and I know where you're coming from. We understand that you want to transfer to EU server however as of the moment we don't have any information yet from the development team if there will be any server transfers that's going to happen in the future but if there is we'll announce it on our news page. 

You are more than welcome to play on the EU server if the preferences suit your location.

You can download the EU game client here:
http://worldoftanks.eu/en/content/docs/update/

In regards to the NA server , you are free to play there as well if you choose, but at this point in time we are unable to transfer accounts across servers, and we do not link accounts or any of there content or progression across multiple servers.

Should you have any more questions, please refer to this link:
Wargaming Support

Thank you and have a good day!

Well it was a good 4 years out of 7.

The other 3 sucked.

Moved on to War Thunder.

Lugia345 #8 Posted Nov 28 2018 - 20:13

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42107 battles

They dont give a flying you know what about the EU Transfer

http://forum.worldof...t__1420#topmost

as you can see here

Tokolosk #9 Posted Dec 20 2018 - 08:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12436 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

This is fantastic news, if and only if your ISP actually uses the cable. I asked my ISP (Websquad) and this is the response I got:

Block Quote

In short, yes. We are expecting a go live during Q1 2019. The long answer is below:

We are currently working with our upstream providers to gain access optimal routes over the SACS cable system. While routes are available at the moment, the majority of the peering on SACS is currently done via Angola cables' network; which does not have the peering relationships beyond their limited peering points internationally (Check public peering on Angola: https://www.peeringdb.com/net/4894 vs HE: https://www.peeringdb.com/net/291 and WOL: https://www.peeringdb.com/net/3539 for example). This is why, besides a small improvement in latency, the true benefit of the SACS cable system has not yet made an impact on SA internet.

We choose our upstream based on their ability to peer with all major Tier 1 providers as well as their backhaul capacities between their peering points. At the end of the day, the server you are trying to access needs to be able to send information to you via the best route it can find - and shortest does not always mean the best (and it is very difficult for us as an ISP to dictate a return path - hence choosing the best peering partners we can get).

Our Peering partners - WOL, HE, IS and China Telecoms (All upstreams with major peering capacity and networks and extensive networks are all working on bringing up routing capacity in Brazil as well as Miami). We work with Tier 1 and Tier 2 operators only to ensure we get premium access to globally connected networks over every major South African submarine cable system (We are currently advertise over links on WACS, EASSY, SEACOM, SAT3 and SAFE).

As I mentioned, we do expect these routes to come live during Q1 2019 - the exact date cannot be confirmed yet. We are also working on optimised routes to global gaming servers.

All being said, we are not discounting Angola Cables as their aggressive network growth is starting to bear fruit. We are working with them to test a subset of routes (primarily US based) from their network. Once the testing is complete, and we are confident that the onwards capacity from Fortaleza is to the standard our clients are accustomed to, we may also introduce these.

We look forward to keeping you posted on our network improvements!

WG are seriously slacking - if it is the same game and same database structure then there is NO reason they cannot build an internal tool to do transfers. I would even have paid to be transferred to EU. Gonna wait for Q1 2019 and see once my ISP does the move. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users